Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-11-2014, 02:38 PM   #31
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Default Re: Hyundai Genesis to target BMW

As they say, the poor man always pays twice, this Hyundi will be no different.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2014, 03:28 PM   #32
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I think the lower spec model will be targeting the upper spec mainstream cars such as:

* Chrysler 300 S
* Lexus IS250 Luxury
* Nissan Altima L33
* Ford Falcon FG MkII G6E
* Subaru Liberty 5GEN 3.6X
* Toyota Aurion Sportivo ZR6 / Presara
* Holden Calais VF V
* Honda Accord V6L

The above cars cost between $55k and $65k give or take.

Even if they stole 10% in the sales from each of those it will be a win for Genesis.

You can argue, on paper that the Genesis probably out does all the above in terms of bang for your buck - the combined consumption sticker may be on the higher side but that's what happens when you put a largish engine into a car.

This is the second generation Genesis, I have been driven in the first gen one in Korea and it was a very well executed car. This one should be even more refined.

RWD, long warranty, decent (above average) power, free servicing, long list of included goodies and built by a brand that has a loyal customer base that's growing after several years of solid sales.

It seems the badge is the biggest problem to many. Such a shame. If I were in the market for a large $60k sedan it would be hard to pass up on a Genesis.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-11-2014, 04:30 PM   #33
zilo
BANNED

I can't think of anyone I know who would ever buy one...
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2014, 06:51 PM   #34
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
New Hyundai's are incredible in design, feel and function. To early to make a call on the quality of the build over a long term, but I know blokes with Excel's, accent's etc can't fault the driveline.

I'll get shot for this, but at this stage i'ld say they are on par with Volkswagen in some areas...
Exactly...those of us of "a certain age" will remember when Hyundais were funny little crappy Korean cars that rusted at the drop of a hat and everyone expected to have a short and ignominious future. Well...we were wrong. Look at current offerings...I'd have a Veloster in a heartbeat.

Interestingly, I saw the first adverts for Hyundais in the eighties in "OMNI" science magazine from the USA which i subscribed to back then. It had a picture of two suburban houses...typical American style suburban living...and out the front of one was a large American built sedan, in front of the neighbours was two Hyundai Excels...the first square edged hatchback ones. The price over the big Yank sedan was about $11,000, and the price over each Hyundai was about $5500 or something. The tag line was "Why buy one car when you can have one for him and one for her for the same price?"

It also told you how you were supposed to pronounce the name Hyundai. For years in Australia it was pronounced "Hi-oon-die". The advertising jungles even followed this by telling you to "say hi to Hyundai".
The American adverts even from way back then however had the correct pronunciation (which we know now). The advert said "Hyundai...rhymes with Sunday". It's only in recent years that this has been corrected here...wonder it took so long.

Another fun bit about Hyundai...I remember Jeremy Clarkson saying, responding to British press criticism of the excellent Tiburon coupe, that it "looked too much like a Ferrari". He said something like "I'm sorry...it looks too much like a Ferrari?? That's like complaining because your wife looks too much like Uma Thurmon..."

End of history lesson.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2014, 08:51 PM   #35
Uwish

This car will have a guaranteed buy back scheme.
How can you go wrong. Just a shame they are not bring their V8 to Oz.
Uwish is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2014, 09:46 PM   #36
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Excels and Accents may have lasted a long time but they aren't very good cars. Excels feel like they have a plastic gearbox, have zero sound deadening and the engines rattle from factory. Accents didn't feel much better either. That's the issue with Korean stuff. It may look good, have plenty of kit and stay together but its still built to a price. It wont ever feel like an expensive car. Same way a Falcon or Commodore never would.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2014, 10:05 PM   #37
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220 View Post
Excels and Accents may have lasted a long time but they aren't very good cars. Excels feel like they have a plastic gearbox, have zero sound deadening and the engines rattle from factory. Accents didn't feel much better either. That's the issue with Korean stuff. It may look good, have plenty of kit and stay together but its still built to a price. It wont ever feel like an expensive car. Same way a Falcon or Commodore never would.
You need to remember when the X3 excel was designed, it was the early nineties (released '94) when NO ONE cared about safety and the technology wasn't even available widely for at least a decade.
Stop looking at an early nineties econo car with 2014 eyes, of course they will look poor.
I owned 2 X3 model excels, and for what I paid for them and what they cost to keep running, they were more than fit for purpose.
Compare a 2014 Hyundai and 2014 Falcon, tell me which one has common failure of substandard diffs,bearings, you know, major mechanical stuff that should fail within a cars lifetime.

Excels and Accents may have lasted a long time but they aren't very good cars. Compared to what? at the time you could have a NEW Hyundai or a 7YO corolla or laser, that was a hangover from the recession, not many newer used cars available.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 14-11-2014, 12:43 AM   #38
Ford17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's rubbish - always buy Ford.
Ford17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-11-2014, 02:39 AM   #39
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
You need to remember when the X3 excel was designed, it was the early nineties (released '94) when NO ONE cared about safety and the technology wasn't even available widely for at least a decade.
Stop looking at an early nineties econo car with 2014 eyes, of course they will look poor.
I owned 2 X3 model excels, and for what I paid for them and what they cost to keep running, they were more than fit for purpose.
Compare a 2014 Hyundai and 2014 Falcon, tell me which one has common failure of substandard diffs,bearings, you know, major mechanical stuff that should fail within a cars lifetime.

Excels and Accents may have lasted a long time but they aren't very good cars. Compared to what? at the time you could have a NEW Hyundai or a 7YO corolla or laser, that was a hangover from the recession, not many newer used cars available.
Compared to what was around at the time. Sure they were cheap but you paid for what you got. They felt cheap and nasty.
Hyundais today are just an average car to me. Not great not bad but people talking about them taking on the Euros is way too premature. I dont think they will ever be considered in that company.
As for the Falcon comparison I'm not going to defend the Aussie stuff. They are terrible for reliability.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2014, 10:25 PM   #40
AuFairlaneV8

Good luck to them. They will pick up some buyers seeking a 'luxury car' Studies overseas have shown that the type of people who buy cars like this are previous owners of cars with prestige badges, the aspirational crowd will stay away from them. I guess they work out the neighbours weren't really that impressed after all by the high end car but still want something with all the gadgets.

Biggest failure for this car is the fuel consumption given that it is only a V6. If it was the V8 this would have been forgivable.
AuFairlaneV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2014, 11:38 PM   #41
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuFairlaneV8 View Post

Biggest failure for this car is the fuel consumption given that it is only a V6. If it was the V8 this would have been forgivable.
Yeah, EcoLpi FGX is nearly as efficient with two less gears.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2014, 12:33 AM   #42
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and 200cc more capacity
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2014, 08:57 AM   #43
Sioso
irregular member

Haven't seen one in the flesh so don't want to knock the car just yet but there is one on carsales for over $90K.
If I had that much in my pocket for a new car I don't think I would part with it for a Hyundai.
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2014, 12:36 PM   #44
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.O.Wallace View Post
Haven't seen one in the flesh so don't want to knock the car just yet but there is one on carsales for over $90K.
If I had that much in my pocket for a new car I don't think I would part with it for a Hyundai.
I'd say it is a typo or the guy is dreaming (not even an official price). Out of the 6 listed 2 are listed at 67l drive away, there is the 90k one and 2 with POA.
Old 16-11-2014, 12:45 PM   #45
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post
Yeah, EcoLpi FGX is nearly as efficient with two less gears.
When you said nearly I thought the difference would have been small, say 2-300ml/100km.

Looking at the specs the Genesis has a combined consumption of 11.2L/100 compared to the EcoLpi with 12.3L/100

Whats that roughly? A difference or around 10%?

Taking into consideration that the Genesis is wider, longer, more feature packed, heavier (by 200kg!), safer and more powerful while using 10% less fuel than Falcon EcoLpi I think the figures are perfectly acceptable.

I will say that the regular Falcon has a combined consumption of only 9.9L/100 which is then excellent compared to the Genesis' 11.2. But the cars are not exact equals. I wonder what the sticker would have said if the Genesis was stripped of some weight and detuned to match the specs of the Falcon? Or on the flip side what would the sticker on the Falcon say if they tried to match the specs of the Genesis?

Old 16-11-2014, 01:17 PM   #46
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
When you said nearly I thought the difference would have been small, say 2-300ml/100km.

Looking at the specs the Genesis has a combined consumption of 11.2L/100 compared to the EcoLpi with 12.3L/100

Whats that roughly? A difference or around 10%?

Taking into consideration that the Genesis is wider, longer, more feature packed, heavier (by 200kg!), safer and more powerful while using 10% less fuel than Falcon EcoLpi I think the figures are perfectly acceptable.

I will say that the regular Falcon has a combined consumption of only 9.9L/100 which is then excellent compared to the Genesis' 11.2. But the cars are not exact equals. I wonder what the sticker would have said if the Genesis was stripped of some weight and detuned to match the specs of the Falcon? Or on the flip side what would the sticker on the Falcon say if they tried to match the specs of the Genesis?
FGX EcoLpi is 11.7 average.
Its highway figure is actually better than the Genesis at 8.3 vs 8.7 respectively.
And theres only about 100kg difference

Last edited by XR Martin; 16-11-2014 at 01:22 PM.
Old 16-11-2014, 01:29 PM   #47
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

The FG X Falcon with the N/A petrol now ranges from 9.0 to 9.5 (depending on model).That is an outstanding result for an engine/gearbox/car at the end of its model life.

The Genesis is an all new and much more modern car with a direct injection all alloy engine with a 8 speed auto. Its fuel economy is woeful in comparison to old grandpa's axe.

The Genesis is a great car and dose most things very well and see it being popular with certain buyers, but the fuel efficiency is pathetic when you have similar cars developed on shoe strings can hose it down.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-11-2014, 01:44 PM   #48
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post
FGX EcoLpi is 11.7 average.
Its highway figure is actually better than the Genesis at 8.3 vs 8.7 respectively.
And theres only about 100kg difference
Ok, I was using 2014 FG MkII when looking it up not FGX.

Can't find the 100kg difference however, FGX tare mass is 1723kg and Genesis tare is 1945kg.

Also, the urban consumption for the Genesis (15.7) is much better than the FGX at 17.6.

All this from carsales.com.au.

Old 16-11-2014, 01:51 PM   #49
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
The FG X Falcon with the N/A petrol now ranges from 9.0 to 9.5 (depending on model).That is an outstanding result for an engine/gearbox/car at the end of its model life.

The Genesis is an all new and much more modern car with a direct injection all alloy engine with a 8 speed auto. Its fuel economy is woeful in comparison to old grandpa's axe.

The Genesis is a great car and dose most things very well and see it being popular with certain buyers, but the fuel efficiency is pathetic when you have similar cars developed on shoe strings can hose it down.
I agree.

I wonder if the Hyundai boffins toyed with smaller engines to win the fuel consumption comparison as well? They have access to a whole heap of large capacity 4cyl and smaller V6's.

Perhaps their market research found that buyers cared more for power than outright economy??

Perhaps the chassis they are using here has been engineered to take the V8 (ie more weight) for future model variation so they needed to put the larger V6 in to not dull the performance?

Old 16-11-2014, 02:03 PM   #50
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hyundai lists 1880kg for the RWD model, Ford lists 1766kg for the Ecolpi

AWD model Genesis is around 1950kg however.

I dont doubt that the Genesis is better than our lowly Falcon just about everywhere, but Hyundai's noodle budget for the engineers would have been greater than the whole FG and FGX budget

Old 16-11-2014, 03:18 PM   #51
Sioso
irregular member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
I'd say it is a typo or the guy is dreaming (not even an official price). Out of the 6 listed 2 are listed at 67l drive away, there is the 90k one and 2 with POA.
That is because there are 3 different levels of spec.
Top of line will be around 90K driveaway.
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2014, 06:21 PM   #52
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.O.Wallace View Post
Likewise. If I had $90k to spare I still wouldn't buy a Genesis. I'm not saying it's a bad car, it's just that I'm a badge snob.

Good luck to them, though. It's very ambitious to take on the German premium brands.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2014, 08:46 PM   #53
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The real question is: South African built C Class (recalled already) or Korean built Genesis?
Old 16-11-2014, 09:07 PM   #54
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

First time I saw the ad on TV where it started to show the winged logo on the bonnet I first thought to myself WTF is Aston Martin doing an Aussie TV advert?
Old 16-11-2014, 09:57 PM   #55
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
The real question is: South African built C Class (recalled already) or Korean built Genesis?
C class. I wouldn't even think twice.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2014, 10:00 PM   #56
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
C class. I wouldn't even think twice.
Same here, sadly.
You can pretty much expect it will win all the Car of the Year gongs this year.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2014, 10:12 PM   #57
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Going by the reviews the new C class is supposed to be crazy good. Can't see anything the Genesis has besides a cheaper price. Pass.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2014, 11:21 PM   #58
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Same here, sadly.
You can pretty much expect it will win all the Car of the Year gongs this year.
The previous Genesis won North America Car of the year.

I don't doubt the new C Class will win an award or 2, but I will be surprised if the Genesis doesn't score something as well.

Old 17-11-2014, 12:13 AM   #59
zilo
BANNED

No hybrid/electric strategy....a complete fail in today's market.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2014, 12:50 AM   #60
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
No hybrid/electric strategy....a complete fail in today's market.
Top 10 cars in October
Toyota Corolla 3819 down 1.1 per cent
Toyota HiLux 3228 up 1.7 per cent
Mazda3 2928 down 19 per cent
Hyundai i30 2475 up 4.0 per cent
Ford Ranger 2405 up 18 per cent
Holden Commodore 2210 down 33 per cent
Toyota Camry 1908 down 15.2 per cent
Mitsubishi Triton 1787 down 2.6 per cent
Volkswagen Golf 1755 down 10.8 per cent
Mazda CX-5 1594 up 3.5 per cent

How many of those models have a hybrid / electric strategy?