Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-10-2014, 11:41 PM   #31
Davehoos
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Hilux Black.

Talk of needing power increase may suit some small numbers of private operators. last year hilux had a facelift with dash and audio changes. more air bags and different colours and trim. they would be mad to chase the ranger market-Ranger is a wide cab road vehicle. they did not change things that mattered.

I often read about underpowered D-Max but mine is every bit as good as last ranger 3.2. D-max feels slow but if you drive in convoy the ranger only has better legs at higher speeds. D-max is more like Toyota with good legs in lower gears. I was surprised that D-max has similar gear ratio to ranger you cant tell that driving it.

Pimped up hilux are not uncommon as sales specials-the last disaster was the supercharged V6. sales reps with loaded sample trailers and ski boats wont be bothered with diesel.
Davehoos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2014, 11:41 PM   #32
AndyXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Woo back to the future references lol
AndyXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-10-2014, 11:53 PM   #33
Davehoos
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Toyota 4X2 is good to drive on rural and gravel roads. inside trim finish is good. I only find it noisey at seed limit.

ranger had more drivers room, shame it didn't have some proven ford dash controls.

D-max feels like a work in progress. with similar garbage controls. previous Japanese built models had more thought to driver work station.

If I could fit in the triton I would prefer it.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:59 PM   #34
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lol why would Toyota rush to update the Hilux when they can sell them like ice to eskimos. They don't have any competition at all.

I'd prefer a Ranger myself though if I was in that market.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-10-2014, 04:05 AM   #35
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool Re: Hilux Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STINKY NINJA View Post
The interior is light years ahead of the hiluxes i used to drive as an apprentice in the 90s.
I dont mind it,as opposed to,nah its not a ford its crap lol typical aff replies...
Nothing wrong with the Hilux per se, but driving the current model back to back with a current Ranger they feel a lot different. Ranger feels much newer and refined. Personally I have driven a current model Hilux 4x4 dual cab about 5,000kms and driven a current model 4x4 dual cab Ranger 10,000kms.
I'm definitely not one eyed, I'm happy to admit a good car no matter what the make is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke G View Post
Looked at one of these and a ford ranger the other day, I test drove both and to me the hilux felt more refined in the way it drove and had a better fit and finish. I was super keen on the ranger after reading all the hype but it left me disapointed! It felt really cheap in the cabin, the wildtrax cooler in the center console was a joke. I couldn't really pick the power difference, but thats without any weight in either. I didnt end up buying either and went in another direction, but i can see why toyota still sell tonnes of them!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The only thing I think that is more refined in the Hilux is the initial acceleration. In the Ranger for some reason it's not as smooth as it should be. But after that, I prefer the way the Ranger does everything else.

Last edited by Ben73; 05-10-2014 at 04:17 AM.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2014, 01:27 PM   #36
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8 View Post
I’d happily have that parked in my garage, although I’m not sure on the front bumper design as I would want an ARB bar.
I was thinking that too I quite like the front bar but would need a bullbar where I would wanna take it without the front bar it Would be just another sr5 hilux
Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2014, 02:09 PM   #37
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

If anyones worked on Toyotas you'll notice how nice they are to pull apart and run wires though, its always nice to work on a Hilux as its easy to run wiring through and mount stuff.

I fitted out a few ADF Hiluxes for Laverton base with some fancy GPS system and some form of radio communications and it was nice to run wiring through, easy to pull apart, its obviously designed with this in mind.

This might be why the Hilux is so popular for fleets, such as mine vehicles etc as its easy to fit out and because they're so popular places like mines and their local dealerships would have lots of spares hanging around if something goes wrong.

Even the new Camry has wiring tracks under the trims on the floor that you can run wires though.

Though the Hiace is a massive piece of crap, thats probably the worst Toyota vehicle getting around.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2014, 03:20 PM   #38
wicksy
Just a bogan VF SS driver

i love the cupholders under the air con vents in the hiluxs, keeps ya beer cold for ya haha
Old 05-10-2014, 03:39 PM   #39
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke G View Post
Looked at one of these and a ford ranger the other day, I test drove both and to me the hilux felt more refined in the way it drove and had a better fit and finish. I was super keen on the ranger after reading all the hype but it left me disapointed! It felt really cheap in the cabin, the wildtrax cooler in the center console was a joke. I couldn't really pick the power difference, but thats without any weight in either. I didnt end up buying either and went in another direction, but i can see why toyota still sell tonnes of them!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Curious what you ended up buying....you got shot of the Cruiser you had?

Toyotas formula is always safe. And keep it that way with little change for long durations when they have a working formula. Keeps fleets etc happy

I'm surprised at your driving experience in the Ranger v Lux. Rangers engine hash a harshness to it from its 5 cyl config yes. But while no car Ranger is a lot more civilized in its driving experience in handling and day to day car like feel. Unless something changed since 2012 when I was shopping Hilux 4x4 felt like a truck to drive, typical old school dual cab, as dig my MN Triton 4x4. But the Rangers differences serve more the transitioning car driver that's discovered leasing. I doubt fleet or those that have driven duals for years would care that much. The look of this thing is growing on me tho. Arent they all assembled in Thai these days?

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2014, 04:05 PM   #40
Luke G
Starter Motor

The ranger just didnt feel as good driving as i expected, the steering felt heavy, interior looked and felt like it wouldnt take much to scratch / damage it. The seat trim on the wildtrax was orange no matter what colour the car was, it definatly didnt go with the grey one I drove.

I recon the hilux will get a revamp soon, its current shape has been around now for 8 years or so. Hopefuly toyota make the new one 3.5t too, it will clash with the 79 but i recon there in different markets anyway! The tundra woulc also be a winner!

Heres the cruiser mate, still own it, love everything about it, except the way the gearbox is programed, makes towing heavy loads a nightmare.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412480933.516625.jpg

I ended up with a new FJ cruiser, was more suited for the missus with its size and features and what we'll use it for. The 200kw petrol is good too!
Luke G is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-10-2014, 10:12 PM   #41
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Ranger is light years ahead of the Hilux. And it's really starting to cut into Hilux sales too, Rangers increase in sales basically matches Hilux's decreases and in terms of private sales I think Ranger is nearly neck and neck.

Just look at the torque difference between Hilux diesel and Ranger 3.2. Massive.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2014, 11:50 PM   #42
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Ranger is light years ahead of the Hilux. And it's really starting to cut into Hilux sales too, Rangers increase in sales basically matches Hilux's decreases and in terms of private sales I think Ranger is nearly neck and neck.

Just look at the torque difference between Hilux diesel and Ranger 3.2. Massive.
If you want torque try Navara 550 ...
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2014, 12:06 AM   #43
Davehoos
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...257D0A000B5822

Ute buyers don't seem interested in high engine power. value for dollar sales and simple.

mazda has improved buy September sales list.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:10 AM   #44
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why would you want a front Skirt on a Hilux? looks like the Lexus Land cruisers minus the gold badges.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2014, 03:30 PM   #45
Hulsty

Not to exciting, see heaps of them driving around here (Thailand)
Hulsty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2014, 03:36 PM   #46
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
If you want torque try Navara 550 ...
It's finished now. New Navara only has 4 cylinders.
2 users like this post:
Old 06-10-2014, 05:53 PM   #47
GSPSI
Calipso Green

Will the ranger still be around once ford is gone?

pǝɹoq ʎɐʍ ǝq ʇsnɯ noʎ 'sıɥʇ ƃuıpɐǝɹ ǝɹ,noʎ ɟı
GSPSI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2014, 05:55 PM   #48
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Quote:

Which has to be worrying for some, given that as pointed out earlier in this thread the Hilux is 2005 model. 2015 brings a new generation of Hilux and if the Range is only just cutting in to the Hilux sales now, then it's in for a hiding when an all new model arrives to compete against it.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:55 PM   #49
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We have Hiluxes (2WD Workmate) in our fleet pool at they are appalling to drive. I don't understand how people consider them suitable family cars when they drive so poorly
Old 06-10-2014, 07:31 PM   #50
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPSI View Post

I didn't know Ford was leaving.

As for someone above saying the Rangers steering is 'too heavy' as I was driving to work today on a windy road near my house I was thinking how light the steering was. Not the lightest around, but would not call it heavy either.

Also if you want to get the Rangers steering on full lock it only takes just less than 1.5 rotations to full lock like most cars. The Hilux takes half a rotation more, pretty much 2 full rotations. Doesn't sound like a big deal, but in car parks you do notice how much more you have to throw the steering wheel around to make the same turns.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:32 PM   #51
Hulsty

Quote:
Since when is ford leaving
Hulsty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-10-2014, 08:59 PM   #52
Davehoos
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ranger steering on former work ute at times was very heavy. I found turning of the crash avoidance made it much better to drive. it handled better on loose gravel than it did on wet tar.

The crash warning on my D-Max is taking me a bit to get used to.most distracting on gravel road to have amber light flashing on the dash. couple of times the rear stepped out and the steering wheel almost snatched from my fingers.

the hilux on the same road I havnt noticed any issue other than normal dirt braking.

all 3 have bridgestones the D-max came with an A/T that has very old wet grass/clay pattern.

work has a fleet or crew cab 4X2 small weight on the rear they drive very car like. this years is not as soft.. the single cab chasis are rough and I havnt found the correct load to sort it. the 4x4 not as good.

Mum had 89 pajero and a 99 rodeo. last year they bough a triton high 4X2. the boat ramp this weekend was not a car in sight.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:40 PM   #53
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

Woah check out that 4x4!!

Old 06-10-2014, 11:10 PM   #54
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUD View Post
Which has to be worrying for some, given that as pointed out earlier in this thread the Hilux is 2005 model. 2015 brings a new generation of Hilux and if the Range is only just cutting in to the Hilux sales now, then it's in for a hiding when an all new model arrives to compete against it.
Very good point - a facelifted 2005 drive train POS is still holding its own
Bad turning circles
Rubbish gearbox chasing itself
Dinasuar
D4 gutless
Usan Bolt has more torque
but the sales keep going on and on against the new player on the work force with all the latest and greatest
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2014, 02:42 PM   #55
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The Ranger is Designed in Australia, not built here, its built in the same place the as the Hilux
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2014, 03:51 PM   #56
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
Very good point - a facelifted 2005 drive train POS is still holding its own
Bad turning circles
Rubbish gearbox chasing itself
Dinasuar
D4 gutless
Usan Bolt has more torque
but the sales keep going on and on against the new player on the work force with all the latest and greatest
Sells on reputation alone. The new competitors such as Ranger won't outsell the Hilux overnight, but if they keep chipping away at it they will get it eventually.

And i'm sure Ford will have the upgraded Ranger facelift due around the same time as new Hilux to counter it.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:04 PM   #57
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:

Can the I6T or Boss 335 fit in the Ranger to give it some backup to its aggressive looks. Lifted, large wheels with plenty of power and it could potentially make me forget the Falcon...
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2014, 06:11 PM   #58
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

I think a V8 dual cab would be quite successful once the locals have closed the doors. There are plenty of people out there that need a ute and also want a V8. There are also plenty paying 60k plus for a Wildtrak so surely there is a market there somewhere.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2014, 08:50 PM   #59
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As much as I'm impressed with the Rangers fuel economy. If they offered it in a V8, I probably would of got that. Preferable a TTv8 diesel. That would be a beast of a thing.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:05 AM   #60
GSPSI
Calipso Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
I think a V8 dual cab would be quite successful once the locals have closed the doors. There are plenty of people out there that need a ute and also want a V8. There are also plenty paying 60k plus for a Wildtrak so surely there is a market there somewhere.
Yeah. That would be nice.
A V8 diesel like the TOYOTA landcruiser.

pǝɹoq ʎɐʍ ǝq ʇsnɯ noʎ 'sıɥʇ ƃuıpɐǝɹ ǝɹ,noʎ ɟı
GSPSI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post