Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 05-11-2014, 05:11 PM   #31
EASYBOSS
Matakana NZ
Donating Member3

Default Re: Cheap chainsaw

I brought a cheapy, what a POS, my mums 10 year old Husky runs rings around it.

Will a battery powered skill saw do what you need, chainsaws are dangerous, more so on the small stuff I recon.
SOLD : BA XR8 4 Speed Auto in Mercury Silver, Bluepower CIA, Full Diffilipo Big Boy Quad System, Tune, 4.11 Diff Gears, FPV Starter Button, FPV GT Rear Spoiler, Tripod Gauges, PWR Trans Cooler. 230 RWKW's. Many thanks to Chris at Bluepower Racing Developments

Hers : F6X build #150 in Ego, Stock as a Rock, untill the warranty runs out, including the extended one.

My Work Wagon AU Futura Wagon in Gold.

On the Farm : Ford 6600 Tractor
EASYBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2014, 05:31 PM   #32
Ross 1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I can't fault my Stihl, 7 years old used every week. Keep it serviced and they don't stop. If you get a cheapie, get it from Bunnings etc so you can swap it when it dies. Photocopy the receipt as they fade.
Ross 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2014, 07:51 PM   #33
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
Gee mate be careful doing that won't you, can do yourself an injury quite easily. Especially with the cheaper ones, and more especially if you start to get tired.
Thanks.
Ive been warned already.
Reckon I'll have a friend there and we'll hold one side of it each and I'l lstill be able to reach the switch on the bar.
Least if I get injuries I've got a workplace income protection policy
Not that I'd want to get injuries.
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2014, 07:56 PM   #34
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

On chains...there's a chain out there that's lasts 4 times as long as a normal one.
For the he life of me I can't remember much about it apart from there was dif types for did cuts.
Eg soft wood hard wood concrete CFS type stuff.
Someone might know.
If I say colbolt it seems to ring a bell about something I saw when surfing the net looking for new chains.
I just sharpen mine with the old hand file one that came with the saw.
Takes 15 or so mins but it works.
I've got a small makita.
Does OK for what I need it for on a couple of acres.
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2014, 07:58 PM   #35
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Bow saw lasts a long time .
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-11-2014, 08:43 PM   #36
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240 View Post
Bow saw lasts a long time .
As i said in my original post, i've been using a saw for a long time and i'm well over it.

Going to pick up a Rox 12" from home hardware tomorrow, costs $88. Worst thing that happens is it breaks and i get my money back. Will report back with how it goes.
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 05-11-2014, 09:13 PM   #37
nstg8a

Lol $88 you can't really go wrong.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2014, 09:14 PM   #38
herbicide

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercurySilver View Post
On chains...there's a chain out there that's lasts 4 times as long as a normal one.
For the he life of me I can't remember much about it apart from there was dif types for did cuts.
Eg soft wood hard wood concrete CFS type stuff.
Someone might know.
If I say colbolt it seems to ring a bell about something I saw when surfing the net looking for new chains.
I just sharpen mine with the old hand file one that came with the saw.
Takes 15 or so mins but it works.
I've got a small makita.
Does OK for what I need it for on a couple of acres.
You're thinking of chain with carbide cutters, stupidly expensive but holds an edge longer. BUT- don't hit a rock or even really hard timber can and does cause the carbide tips to come off leaving you with an expensive chain that is screwed. Honestly get normal chain and learn how to sharpen it. The best way to do it is buy a quality saw, chaps to protect your legs and do a chainsaw safety course, you'll pick up so much from a good course.
herbicide is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2014, 12:09 AM   #39
56L
a.k.a PAULY

My father and myself have many chainsaws and have been using them for decades.

I still use some of my 1960,s chainsaws that are 141cc and play around with chainsaws are fair bit

All but 2 of my chainsaws are either Sthil or Solo both german made.

I used a small Poulan ( Electrolux)for years chopping small timber and was faultless.

I recently replaced it with a small mcculloch from bunnings for $220,i had doubts at first but this saw chopped a lot dead timber last winter and worked great,has an automatic chain adjuster that takes a bit of time to get used to.

The chinese saws have a nasty habit of the starter mechanism breaking .

My brother used to hold his busted chinese saw while i started it with a rattle gun with a socket on the crankshaft nut LOL
1947 ford thames tipper V8 21 stud flat head
1939 ford beer barrel truck V8 24 stud flat head
HZJ diesel ute
HJ47 diesel ute
56L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2014, 12:28 AM   #40
56L
a.k.a PAULY

A few recommendations regarding chain types

For green timber a square edge chain is best FULL -CHISEL

For dead and hardwood timber a rounded edge chain called SEMI -CHISEL is best ,cuts a bit slower but lasts alot longer and is easier to sharpen than the square edge

KEEP away from all hardware store chainsaw files they are absolute rubbish,if you can buy stihl files from your local dealer
HZJ diesel ute
HJ47 diesel ute

Last edited by 56L; 06-11-2014 at 12:54 AM.
2 users like this post:
Old 06-11-2014, 11:39 PM   #41
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

At work we only have Sthil chain saws .. We use them on power poles . Some times up the top of the poles ! to fallen trees Pays big time to look after your chain saw!!
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2014, 03:31 AM   #42
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a baby Stihl too

Wouldn't get anything different - give the department store ones a big miss

Only time I've ever used them was for cutting polyethylene pipe because we couldn't use bar oil as we'd contaminate our plastic welds so the saw would be ****** in no time regardless. Talon at $55 each was the cheapest and therefore the disposable chainsaw of choice
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2014, 02:04 PM   #43
GUTLES
Adam.

I run a Mower Shop, drop me a message if anyones looking for anything.

2007 BF Mk2 Winter White E-Gas Wagon, 6 Seater.

2002 AU3 XR6, Liquid Silver, Manual, Sunroof, LPG, Rebel Kit, BA GTP's, Momo Steering Wheel & Gear Knob.
GUTLES is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2014, 05:27 PM   #44
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I've just bought a small Husky 235 or 236 for $269.

Been fabulous so far.

I was looking at the Stihl Mini Boss, but it was almost $100 more. The local dealer (about a km down the road) sell Huskys and they're a great local family owned business so it was a no brainer really.

If your local dealer was a Stihl dealer and the price was sub $300, that'd be a great buy also.

All the best with your deliberations.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2014, 06:13 PM   #45
Spurious

I use 2 saws. An MTD climbing/arborist saw & a cheap Talon.

The MTD with a 10" bar came from a mower shop here in Ulverstone, which unfortunately has closed down. Something to be wary of if you have warranty issues. It cost me $430
3 years on & hasn't failed.

The Talon (my 2'nd one) came from a Big W store, $170. The only fault with it (the first one I had) is that the fuel & oil tanks have plastic fittings for the screw cap. The oil cap in particular is prone to leaking as it sits real low on the body & if bumped can ruin the threads. Otherwise it's a reliable saw. About a 12" bar.

Regular maintenance is a good idea.

An air compressor with a blow gun is your friend here.
Clean the air filter after each days use, the fuel filter can be carefully extracted from the tank & blown out too, perhaps 2 or 4 times per year depending on use.
Remove the bar after each days use, blow out all the debris, pay special attention to the chain lock mechanism. Also blow out the chain track on the bar, & every couple months flip the bar upside down being mindful that the oil holes need to be in the same place.
Also run the bar across a flat sander to ensure the edge on the chain guide isn't feathered.
Check & clean the spark plug weekly or monthly depending on use.

As a safety rule, I always ensure my left arm/ elbow (top bar arm) stays locked. So if the saw bounces up your elbow stops it from coming up, backwards & into your face!
Also when I'm cutting logs on ground level, I always kneel behind the saw, never stand or lean over it.
If I put the saw down on the ground while it's running, to do something else (grab a wedge etc) ALWAYS activate the bar lock. (especially if children are present)
I also do this if I'm walking any distance with the idling saw, around a tree etc.
This ensures if I trip over that I'm not going to jam a finger on the throttle & cut myself in half.

I have an uncle with 2.5 fingers missing as a result of a saw incident & I myself have had a chain in motion actually remove a glove from my hand!!!

Using my climbing saw (one handed) I reached in to grab a bit of wood I'd cut & got a little too close to the chain as the revs went back to idle.
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2014, 09:16 PM   #46
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlivverFord View Post
I use 2 saws. An MTD climbing/arborist saw & a cheap Talon.

The MTD with a 10" bar came from a mower shop here in Ulverstone, which unfortunately has closed down. Something to be wary of if you have warranty issues. It cost me $430
3 years on & hasn't failed.

The Talon (my 2'nd one) came from a Big W store, $170. The only fault with it (the first one I had) is that the fuel & oil tanks have plastic fittings for the screw cap. The oil cap in particular is prone to leaking as it sits real low on the body & if bumped can ruin the threads. Otherwise it's a reliable saw. About a 12" bar.

Regular maintenance is a good idea.

An air compressor with a blow gun is your friend here.
Clean the air filter after each days use, the fuel filter can be carefully extracted from the tank & blown out too, perhaps 2 or 4 times per year depending on use.
Remove the bar after each days use, blow out all the debris, pay special attention to the chain lock mechanism. Also blow out the chain track on the bar, & every couple months flip the bar upside down being mindful that the oil holes need to be in the same place.
Also run the bar across a flat sander to ensure the edge on the chain guide isn't feathered.
Check & clean the spark plug weekly or monthly depending on use.

As a safety rule, I always ensure my left arm/ elbow (top bar arm) stays locked. So if the saw bounces up your elbow stops it from coming up, backwards & into your face!
Also when I'm cutting logs on ground level, I always kneel behind the saw, never stand or lean over it.
If I put the saw down on the ground while it's running, to do something else (grab a wedge etc) ALWAYS activate the bar lock. (especially if children are present)
I also do this if I'm walking any distance with the idling saw, around a tree etc.
This ensures if I trip over that I'm not going to jam a finger on the throttle & cut myself in half.

I have an uncle with 2.5 fingers missing as a result of a saw incident & I myself have had a chain in motion actually remove a glove from my hand!!!

Using my climbing saw (one handed) I reached in to grab a bit of wood I'd cut & got a little too close to the chain as the revs went back to idle.

All of this is why I wont upgrade my cheapie to a better one, if I spend money on a good unit, then id be tempted to use it more. Chainsaws are my least favourite garden power tool.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 09-11-2014, 09:36 PM   #47
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Chainsaws, Grinders and the Stanly Knife are the three most lethal tools getting about lol.

Stanly Knife has taken many a victim when you slip, too blunt to cut what you're cutting but sharp enough to open you up when you slip doing the wrong thing lol.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2014, 11:08 PM   #48
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

9" grinder = evil
Old 12-11-2014, 12:13 AM   #49
56L
a.k.a PAULY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonky. View Post
9" grinder = evil
Had to ask a formwork tradesman to leave a job site one day,he had a 9 inch grinder with a circular saw blade on it
HZJ diesel ute
HJ47 diesel ute
2 users like this post:
Old 12-11-2014, 05:41 AM   #50
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Jesus
Old 17-11-2014, 05:15 PM   #51
Psi-Pop
on the way to the RSL

I got a cheap chinese Baus 52cc with a 20" bar and its a ripper, starts every go, had it about a year it and it gets used probably every 3rd weekend camping or every few days clearing trees around property. So far its been better than a mates Stihl-notstarting.

You can also run them on E85, you just need to shake the tank up as the oil separates quickly =)
Old 18-11-2014, 06:06 PM   #52
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56L View Post
Had to ask a formwork tradesman to leave a job site one day,he had a 9 inch grinder with a circular saw blade on it
I thought 9" a/grinders were banned from building sites these days as well as most work places now days ( I know they are from my work place )

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post