Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 07:05 AM   #31
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Default Re: help me get over my km phobia!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fully6 View Post
I don't get why some of you are so hostile and can't answer the question. If you have nothing nice to say that doesn't relate to the topic then don't post, it's as simple as that (seems a lot are jumping on the Hulk hate band-wagon just for the sake of it).

Anyways Hulk, if the cars been looked after and been serviced regularly it should be fine. If they're an elderly couple like you mentioned and the cars mainly been used for highway driving it wouldn't stop me from buying it.

Personally, when buying used I look for low km examples too but the km's don't tell the whole story. For example a car with 50,000km's could be treated terribly, never serviced etc. I'd say go for it if its what you want, just get it inspected thoroughly.
I agree....you guys should be ashamed of yourselves. It's like a school yard and your all picking on the different kid. Disgusting. I've bought this to the mods attention before but to no avail....obviously

Just stay on topic unless you've got something of value to add aswell!

And I agree with the two above posts. It's hard to go past the value of a GOOD used car if you really like it. And of it's not euro for eg...it'll be cheaper to fix worst case anyways. Go for it!!
2 users like this post:
Old 07-02-2015, 07:06 AM   #32
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangas GTP View Post
I had chicken and veggies for dinner!
Off topic
Old 07-02-2015, 07:10 AM   #33
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
Another troll post from Hulk, you either want it or you don't, enough said.
Another troll post from a disrespectful forum member, you either have a comment on topic or you don't....

Mods must be on holidays......
2 users like this post:
Old 07-02-2015, 07:15 AM   #34
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Bottom feeder.

Probably should have worked harder then you might be able to afford to buy the car you want.

Imagine your neighbour have a giggle everytime you roll that heap of the driveway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE
Another troll post from a disrespectful forum member, you either have a comment on topic or you don't....

Mods must be on holidays......
This is down right offensive. Wow. You guys are on a roll. How would you like me attacking your ability to move ahead in life....only to find out your a retard with a learning difficulty and are actually doin great just putting sentences together? Another disgusting comment/attitude worthy of flaming.......
3 users like this post:
Old 07-02-2015, 07:22 AM   #35
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeineLust View Post
No, Im not a piece of work...just a piece of *****.

Why not stop making dumb threads with the sole purpose of annoying everyone else?

If you need to ask the question in your OP, then perhaps its time to question whether you should be behind the wheel of a motor vehicle. Because if you cannot figure it out for yourself, and require the scintillating input of AFF members tired of your BS, then it is quite a serious matter.
At least someone honest

You do realize this is a forum where people ask these things as a right of opinion!!! I myself have asked the same question about Kim's......and remember quite a few others doing the same thing. Not sure why that's worthy of such disgracefull behaviour.

Wow I feel like I'm telling off a bunch of little bullies who picked and abused a poor kid in a wheelchair for falling......

I'll say one thing.....the op doesn't let it faze him one bit. Good on him.
This user likes this post:
Old 07-02-2015, 08:14 AM   #36
HULK_I6T
Banned

Question Re: help me get over my km phobia!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
At least someone honest

You do realize this is a forum where people ask these things as a right of opinion!!! I myself have asked the same question about Kim's......and remember quite a few others doing the same thing. Not sure why that's worthy of such disgracefull behaviour.

Wow I feel like I'm telling off a bunch of little bullies who picked and abused a poor kid in a wheelchair for falling......

I'll say one thing.....the op doesn't let it faze him one bit. Good on him.
Thanks for the support, I do have thick skin luckily

Some people on here just don't know how to carry themselves with any sort of grace. Their responses are a disgrace but they think in their heads it's appropriate

I don't get insulted as I don't value them. It's sort of like walking past a drunk redneck homeless laying on the street hurling abuse at anyone walking by, you just keep walking and ignore them as their input don't matter. They think the whole world is out to get em..To stop and joust with these sorts of members just makes you dumber, they are jealous that I can do things and they can't
3 users like this post:
Old 07-02-2015, 08:42 AM   #37
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeineLust View Post
I can hear AFFs servers groaning already at the prospect of another one of these threads....
Genuine lol @ this
Old 07-02-2015, 08:46 AM   #38
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Imagine if servers hung out at the pub and told each other what they do

"I host CBAs core banking system, so yeah, manage around $700B in customer account balances"

"I'm with the military, it's my job to keep the latest fighter jet project secure"

Ford Forums server - "I don't want to talk about it"
6 users like this post:
Old 07-02-2015, 08:50 AM   #39
martyal44
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A coast car may not have done lots of Km due to commuting, as you said they are an elderly couple so it may been holiday, visiting family driving, and if they live right near the beaches look out for corrosion issues.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:50 AM   #40
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Does it have full service history? Have your local mechanic /NRMA check it out, look for rust and any signs of panels / paint being touched. A good idea is to wash and chamiso the car before buying it, get up nice and personal, best way to really know what you're getting.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:01 AM   #41
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T View Post
... its still with a bit of driving will hit north of 100,000km and start to need maintenance etc.. then when people ask how many km it has ill have to sheepishly concede.
Don't be sheepish - tell them the KMs and also the price you got it for so they know it was the bargain you say it is.

Having said that, I reckon those that ask how many KMs it has done will already know the answer - they are only asking to troll the guy that continually lectures them on the evils of high KM vehicles.

Those that feel the OP is being bullied - the thread is "Help me get over my KM phobia". The backlash from some members would due to their frustration that so many people have tried so many times to help the OP over his KM phobia in so many threads that anything they could say to help has already been said (and ignored) so many times.

If the OP really wants to get over his KM phobia he only needs to read and take on board the huge amount of advice previously given to him in many of his previous threads.

I give it 3 weeks before the Classifieds have a wanted ad for a cluster showing less than 60k

Waiting for the "Help me over my old car phobia" thread.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:02 AM   #42
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:

Some people on here just don't know how to carry themselves with any sort of grace. Their responses are a disgrace but they think in their heads it's appropriate
Spot on Hulkster, you have my support too.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:33 AM   #43
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Over the years I,ve bought quite a few secondhand cars with between 50 & 100k on the odometer.everyone of them has done at least 300k without problems.The good thing is someone else has copped the huge devaluation from new cost,usually in the order of 60% plus.
7 users like this post:
Old 07-02-2015, 10:46 AM   #44
Kayos
Lag = hang onto something

A great read, unfortunatly some have nothing better to do and comment like monkeys. This is what a forum is for...
Was in QLD this week and jumped in a G6E so asked the cabbie have you had any issues, in my opinion best people to get feedback from given they spend 10 times the amount than any amature forum slammer. Answer was: the windows have been playing up and the trans just got changed for 6k and he stopped at that point, the G looked pretty good seat wise but the roof line was hammered/mouldy, quite and smooth ride, so I asked the peanut having a feeling how many klms buddy.... which then he answered 700,000+ and I've had it since new. Never changed the engine just a few things here and there. Point of that story: that's a current falcon and built ford tuff more than ever, the klms aren't as important as they had been & if you found a good deal take it. Just purchased another falcon last night and can't wait, a couple of months looking at Jap and Euro but I'm back again.. for now. Good Luck mate

Some previous rides: Ef mont, RX7tt series VI, BM coupes, TE50, BA ghia, BA XR6t

Current rides: G6E blk/Cshmr, Chrysler by Chrysler no.1, Chrysler by Chrysler no.2
2 users like this post:
Old 07-02-2015, 10:57 AM   #45
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I spent a good many years and many 10s of thousands of $ chasing newer cars to avoid depreciation, and the dreaded "big service". Time has shown me that to get the best value out of a car, it needs to be kept for a longer time, irrespective of kays.
The other furphy pedalled is to buy a new car and spend heaps on it is to buy perfection. Buy a 2yo falcon for 20K, then buy a 5yo one for 10k, is the 2yo one going to be TWICE as good? Don't think so.
Buy what your stomach and wallet can afford.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 07-02-2015, 11:14 AM   #46
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Im much the same with kms, i wont ask for advice, ill make my own decision. But of late ive purchased new because i can and therefore never had to worry about kms, but your talking 100k kms. For me its a lot less, but also something that isnt that old either.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:25 AM   #47
Nashy86

I was recently shopping for a car to replace my write off, looked at lots of demos etc. and some second hand, couldn't find the car I wanted in the condition I wanted for the price I wanted to pay, could only get 2 of the 3.
Eventually i found a vehicle with more kms than I was really looking for, that bad been perfectly looked after by its enthusiest owner. With almost 40 000kms it was in better condition than the ex-ford exdc and ex-demos i was looking at with less than 10 000.

Bought the one in better condition and haven't looked back. I know this is much lower than the kms in the OP but the condition of the car helped me get over my own mental kms barrier.
Written off whilst parked!

FG Mk II XR6T
Lightning Strike, 6 Speed Auto,, Dark Tint
Awesome toy for Grown Ups!
Old 07-02-2015, 11:37 AM   #48
AUwindsor

hey OP just buy it and swap out the dash cluster from an ebay one, with 50,000 kms on it, like most people do with "low km" 10 year old cars ....
Old 07-02-2015, 11:45 AM   #49
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:

I don't get insulted as I don't value them. It's sort of like walking past a drunk redneck homeless laying on the street hurling abuse at anyone walking by, you just keep walking and ignore them as their input don't matter. They think the whole world is out to get em..To stop and joust with these sorts of members just makes you dumber, they are jealous that I can do things and they can't
If I were you Hulk, I'd become a donating member and ask in the "dark room"..
Whole different caliber of maturity and zero character assasinating....
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
3 users like this post:
Old 07-02-2015, 11:56 AM   #50
AUwindsor

OP in all honesty why care what anyone else thinks. Do what YOU want. I've bought cheap cars with ridiculous high km's, and kept my money for other things

Ive seen stupidity from people as far as "i buy new because i don't want someone else to have farted in the seat" and i just laugh inside knowing, hey idiot, the apprentice who inspected and test drove your "brand new car", he not only farted in your seat but also thrashed your "new car" foot flat to the floor ....
4 users like this post:
Old 07-02-2015, 12:08 PM   #51
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUwindsor View Post
OP in all honesty why care what anyone else thinks. Do what YOU want. I've bought cheap cars with ridiculous high km's, and kept my money for other things

Ive seen stupidity from people as far as "i buy new because i don't want someone else to have farted in the seat" and i just laugh inside knowing, hey idiot, the apprentice who inspected and test drove your "brand new car", he not only farted in your seat but also thrashed your "new car" foot flat to the floor ....
Reminds me when we had a customers S2000 in at the dealership, he booked it in for a service but wanted to go for a spin with the head mechanic to see how he would drive the car.

So he drove it around softly with the customer in the passenger seat, he decides ONLY THIS mechanic can do work on my car.

I'm under one of the other mechanics helping him do services, we finish the job we're on, drive the car out, walk up to the desk to grab the next job, job card gets handed to me.

S2000!

Major service including valve clearances, go on test drive afterwards to "see if VTEC is working"
Old 07-02-2015, 12:15 PM   #52
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

I recently bought a 2004 Ford Escape with 180,000kms.
It had full service history and had everything thing I wanted and got it for a good price.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Old 07-02-2015, 12:17 PM   #53
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

good lord im pretty sure the mods dont need people running to them dibber dobbing about hulks threads
they read em after all they are in the busiest main area of the forum
at a guess id say mods freq here quite often

wanna be moddy good too shoesies
get over it

just buy the ******* car hulk
fmd
4 users like this post:
Old 07-02-2015, 12:35 PM   #54
Lunch
Wait, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUwindsor View Post

Its funny you say that, i bought a Ba with 5.4 (non xr8) with a tray, manual and LSD brand new in 2004, i had to wait about 5 weeks for delivery, 1 day while out walking my dog i thought I'd walk past the ford dealer, as i was bout to walk off cos i didnt see my brand new falc i saw it come sideways into the service driveway with some little shït with spots behind the wheel, so i stormed into the display room, as mad as my pitbull and demanded an explanation, my sales person tried to tell me it was not the way he was driving it, it was because of the LSD
after a few choice words and and a deep rumbling growl from my dog, the spotty kid got the ****

Last edited by AU1XLS; 07-02-2015 at 01:59 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 07-02-2015, 12:49 PM   #55
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

When I buy a used car, I see it as a simple, subjective equation. Almost like a very basic cost-benefit analysis, factor in the asking price overlaid by the mileage and all associated issues, potentially or otherwise, at that mileage. Divide the two and if the value comes up as 1+, buy the car, but if there's a 0. in front the value figure then move along.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:23 PM   #56
Lunch
Wait, what?

Divide the mileage by the cost or the cost by the mileage ??
Old 07-02-2015, 01:43 PM   #57
damo03
BBQ gas User

Very low km cars can be a dangerous buy. I.E. they tend to do a lot of very short trips where the engine never runs for a long time at operating temperature. This can cause more wear and give more problems than a 9 year old car that has travelled 150,000km.

I would be looking very closely at service records and if it wasn't serviced religiously by a reputable mechanic at the time interval (I.E. every 6/12 months depending on recommendation) if it reached that before the km interval I would stay clear.

Of course other parts of the car might be in better condition with low mileage.

My father in law bought his grandma's car that was 20 years old with 60,000km. It was a very poor decision as lots of items suddenly needed major overhauls such as auto transmission, carburettor, tyres, wheel bearings etc when the car was used for major trips. This hadn't been a needed/noticed when his grandma used the car to go to church, shops and bowls.

Personally I tend to look for cars that have been used infrequently for longer trips, E.g. driving 5 times a week along freeway to work.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:18 PM   #58
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercurySilver View Post
good lord im pretty sure the mods dont need people running to them dibber dobbing about hulks threads
they read em after all they are in the busiest main area of the forum
at a guess id say mods freq here quite often

wanna be moddy good too shoesies
get over it

just buy the ******* car hulk
fmd
Well the thread WAS back on track........and this is YOUR opinion. If you support character assassination of the lowest order, guys talking like children and people making disgustingly offensive remarks, then that's your prerogative. Mods should remove this garbage so the rest of us can enjoy the topic.
Like has been said SOOO many times.....IF YOU DONT CARE FOR THE SUBJECT DONT READ IT

Maybe I'll pay attention to all you guys with the attitude for the next time YOU ask for advice on a topic. Then I'll jump in an tell YOU to **** off and just buy it. That's what forums are for
Old 07-02-2015, 02:22 PM   #59
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo03 View Post
Very low km cars can be a dangerous buy. I.E. they tend to do a lot of very short trips where the engine never runs for a long time at operating temperature. This can cause more wear and give more problems than a 9 year old car that has travelled 150,000km.

I would be looking very closely at service records and if it wasn't serviced religiously by a reputable mechanic at the time interval (I.E. every 6/12 months depending on recommendation) if it reached that before the km interval I would stay clear.

Of course other parts of the car might be in better condition with low mileage.

My father in law bought his grandma's car that was 20 years old with 60,000km. It was a very poor decision as lots of items suddenly needed major overhauls such as auto transmission, carburettor, tyres, wheel bearings etc when the car was used for major trips. This hadn't been a needed/noticed when his grandma used the car to go to church, shops and bowls.

Personally I tend to look for cars that have been used infrequently for longer trips, E.g. driving 5 times a week along freeway to work.
Good point. This crosses my mind often when buying aswell!
Has anyone mentioned getting a FULL inspection done by racq of your fav mechanic? That plus a good service history......can't loose
Old 07-02-2015, 02:24 PM   #60
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Yup, give me a highway cruiser with 200k on the clock, over a suburban commuter with 100k on it, every day of the week.

The highway cruiser will have better compression, get better mileage and the mechanicals will generally be more reliable as they've been through multiple heat/work cycles and the parts wear in accordingly. The commuter mechanicals never get up to full running temp so the seals and bearings never seat in properly and the engine, having never been worked even moderately hard, tends to have poor ring to bore sealing and get blow by.

I made that mistake twice. First was swapping a 250k EL wagon reps car that went hard and was reliable, for a city commuter EL wagon with 130k on it that never went as hard or as economically. Second was my First Sportsman. I was seduced by the low km but the thing had been a company owners' wifes car and had commuted round Sydney it's whole life. I was forever spending money on niggly little issues. The second one had more ks', was used for towing and road trips and is faster, goes harder and is more economical and reliable to date. Plus, by 150-180k, anything that is going to let go will have already done it and been replaced where as the commuter, having never worked hard will have worn out bits just waiting to die the first time you go on a long road trip.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Closed Thread