Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-03-2015, 09:38 PM   #31
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Default Re: Falcon wont sell

Its worth the money just a very small number of people will want it. Most will go out and buy a brand new car for that sort of coin.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2015, 09:53 PM   #32
xr8territory
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The problem with the XR6 has been that many government departments bought them as they were keenly priced and they paid no stamp duty on them ( NSW ). This made them a very desirable item when they then sold them as there cost/benefit margin was very low.
XW UTE, XW FAIRMONT, XT GT, XT Fairmont, EF XR8, XH XR8 UTE, XH XR8 UTE, AU UTE, Renault Scenic, XF UTE, BA XR8 UTE, TERRITORY, Chrysler Voyager, WS FIESTA ZETEC,TERRITORY TITANIUM, BA UTE, Nissan Pathfinder, AU Falcon Forte, BA XR8 UTE.
xr8territory is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2015, 10:07 AM   #33
adrianb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
My cars have usually all sold in a week or two....my rule of thumb go into car sales find cheapest car of same model, same kms, same options and set your price at a bit less, it'll sell.

Given that I see 2012 xr6 on car sales at 16,888 with 49K on the odo, can probably grab it for 16K maybe 15K.

I'd be putting yours on for $16,500.

In any case you can't to buy a 2 year old car for 20K then expect to sell it a year later for 19K...jousting sticks come to mind.
Jousting sticks? How much?
Old 24-03-2015, 12:41 PM   #34
stonedpirate
Starter Motor

dreamin
stonedpirate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2015, 01:06 PM   #35
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Last Falcon I sold in 2010 took me 5 months to sell and had to drop the price by 4K to sell it.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2015, 01:32 PM   #36
stonedpirate
Starter Motor

Well

In the end, I had it on carsales for a week after no calls for 6 weeks on gumtree.

No private callers. 3 dealers.

2 offered $15k

Accepted $16k fromm final dealer.

Lost nearly $6k in 9 months lol but now have a sweet hilux so i dont care.
stonedpirate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-04-2015, 02:36 AM   #37
HULK_I6T
Banned

People are dreamers on carsales. I was recently looking for a car and the sellers were scoffing at my offers.

The reality is the sellers take a few months for the market price to get through their head... When the dreamers decide to sell, They basically count up what the cars owes them and drop $1000 thinking its a giveaway..but reality is take 20% value off per year ownership what you paid. I ended up buying a car from a seller who was serious about meeting the market..

It's a few months on and I'm still monitoring the cars I was interested in.. They have all just about dropped their prices to less than what I offered them when they scoffed at me. Now kicking themselves they didn't jump at my offer.
HULK_I6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2015, 02:37 AM   #38
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonedpirate View Post
Well

In the end, I had it on carsales for a week after no calls for 6 weeks on gumtree.

No private callers. 3 dealers.

2 offered $15k

Accepted $16k fromm final dealer.

Lost nearly $6k in 9 months lol but now have a sweet hilux so i dont care.
That's the exact price I said you would get in an earlier post. Good on you for meeting the market.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:44 AM   #39
HULK_I6T
Banned

I'm very close with a dealer principal if a large dealer.

He tells me all the time how people come in to trade a car thinking its worth the world. He describes them as being scrap cars and breaks their hearts when he gives them a trade in value.

Anyone who thinks they achieved a great trade in value has effectively been Stung real hard on the new car price so the effective trade in value is peanuts.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:12 PM   #40
xwgs302

I remember in 93 doing my apprenticeship, a friend worked for Mercedes. The sporty V8 500SL went for $250000.
You can pick up a good one now for 20-30 grand.
Talk about depreciation...!
xwgs302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2015, 12:33 PM   #41
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwgs302 View Post
I remember in 93 doing my apprenticeship, a friend worked for Mercedes. The sporty V8 500SL went for $250000.
You can pick up a good one now for 20-30 grand.
Talk about depreciation...!
Give it time.

In most cases the price of a car will go down before they head back up.

In 1954 the 300SL went for around $11,000 and now it can be had for a lazy $4.62million.

Hold on to those old Falcons.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 03-04-2015, 01:30 PM   #42
xwgs302

I definitely am! I got 3 XW's...

The worst part is when after test driving one of those Mercs (mate picked me up :-) ), then jumping into my GS, I felt like Fred Flintstone...
xwgs302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-04-2015, 02:06 PM   #43
Focused

At risk of being murdered and at great pains I'm saying the following (I grew up loving the Falcon), but I am not at all surprised that the Falcon isn't selling.
Last weekend, I test-drove both a FGX XR6T (with luxury pack) and a VF SS-V. Whilst I absolutely love the Falcon's front end (LEDs especially) and the engine is amazing (almost too fast), the rest of the car is woeful. The interior quality is rubbish. The reading lamps, for example, feel incredibly cheap, as does the dash and all of the buttons. I expect they'd all be broken before the 3000km service. And while the engine is amazing, the transmission had a rather unfortunate clunk whenever you'd release the throttle (from full or 3/4 throttle) which was a worry. This was the first FGX I've driven so I wasn't sure if it was normal. My second last gripe was the lack of equipment. The SS-V, I drove afterwards (same price as it was a demo) had far more standard equipment and the interior was a whole generation ahead. And finally, the dealer was rubbish. He was completely uninterested and just gave of incredibly dodgy vibes. Even though he's the local guy (and I'm the type that will spend a bit more because I like the dealer), I'll have not qualms about driving up to Sydney to get a slightly better deal.

The SS-V doesn't look as nice as the FG-X, and probably isn't quite a fast, but otherwise it thoroughly bet the Falcon. And the dealer was a lot nice. I've never been greeted by so many people in one place. It was like going from flying with Tiger straight into a Qantas business class cabin (works pays, not me.) It's a sad state of affairs.

I'll probably end up buying an Ecoboost Mondeo Titanium in a few months...
Focused is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2015, 04:07 PM   #44
Ford Falcon XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focused View Post
At risk of being murdered and at great pains I'm saying the following (I grew up loving the Falcon), but I am not at all surprised that the Falcon isn't selling.
Last weekend, I test-drove both a FGX XR6T (with luxury pack) and a VF SS-V. Whilst I absolutely love the Falcon's front end (LEDs especially) and the engine is amazing (almost too fast), the rest of the car is woeful. The interior quality is rubbish. The reading lamps, for example, feel incredibly cheap, as does the dash and all of the buttons. I expect they'd all be broken before the 3000km service. And while the engine is amazing, the transmission had a rather unfortunate clunk whenever you'd release the throttle (from full or 3/4 throttle) which was a worry. This was the first FGX I've driven so I wasn't sure if it was normal. My second last gripe was the lack of equipment. The SS-V, I drove afterwards (same price as it was a demo) had far more standard equipment and the interior was a whole generation ahead. And finally, the dealer was rubbish. He was completely uninterested and just gave of incredibly dodgy vibes. Even though he's the local guy (and I'm the type that will spend a bit more because I like the dealer), I'll have not qualms about driving up to Sydney to get a slightly better deal.

The SS-V doesn't look as nice as the FG-X, and probably isn't quite a fast, but otherwise it thoroughly bet the Falcon. And the dealer was a lot nice. I've never been greeted by so many people in one place. It was like going from flying with Tiger straight into a Qantas business class cabin (works pays, not me.) It's a sad state of affairs.

What do you expect when the parent company no longer gives a ****** about the product of course quality is going to suffer.
I work for mazda and the amount of major mechanical repairs has spiked massively in the last 2 years every company is saving money where they can some do it mechanically others save money on the interior quality. It's due to a super competitive market and ever tightening emission standards they either have to raise the price or cut the quality of some parts. If the FGX was several thousand dollars more people would complain about the price.
Ford Falcon XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2015, 04:37 PM   #45
Mainforcepatrol

Quote:

I had the opportunity to drive an FGX XR6 Turbo a couple of weeks ago and i came away impressed.I found it to be solid with good fit and finish and no driveline slop either.

It might not have all the mod cons of the Holden but i would have no hesitation in buying one.
Mainforcepatrol is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2015, 05:29 PM   #46
Focused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Falcon XR6
What do you expect when the parent company no longer gives a ****** about the product of course quality is going to suffer.
I work for mazda and the amount of major mechanical repairs has spiked massively in the last 2 years every company is saving money where they can some do it mechanically others save money on the interior quality. It's due to a super competitive market and ever tightening emission standards they either have to raise the price or cut the quality of some parts. If the FGX was several thousand dollars more people would complain about the price.
I agree and I feel sorry for Ford Aus as I know they've been working with one hand tied behind their back, but that's not an excuse the market will accept.

Quote:
I had the opportunity to drive an FGX XR6 Turbo a couple of weeks ago and i came away impressed.I found it to be solid with good fit and finish and no driveline slop either.
It might not have all the mod cons of the Holden but i would have no hesitation in buying one.
But what are you comparing it to? Good fit and finish is relative. I didn't think that my 2011 Focus was well put together until I drove the FGX. The Commodore's advantage isn't just the equipment but the plastics all over the dash and doors feel far more expensive than the recycled bin lids Ford use.

Yeah I'm not sure if the drivetrain noises were normal or unique to my car. It was a demo with 5000kms on it so I dare say that its had a hard life.

Did you buy one? There's a big difference between saying you'd buy one and actually laying out almost 50 biggies.

Last edited by Focused; 03-04-2015 at 05:38 PM.
Focused is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2015, 11:59 AM   #47
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8territory View Post
The problem with the XR6 has been that many government departments bought them as they were keenly priced and they paid no stamp duty on them ( NSW ). This made them a very desirable item when they then sold them as there cost/benefit margin was very low.
Quite a few low mileage ex rental FG's around too.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2015, 12:17 PM   #48
XP6
Formerly ST170ish

Bite the bullet and just trade it in... so much less hassle and you will only lose a few $k so what
Old 05-04-2015, 12:15 AM   #49
Mainforcepatrol

Quote:
I agree and I feel sorry for Ford Aus as I know they've been working with one hand tied behind their back, but that's not an excuse the market will accept.

But what are you comparing it to? Good fit and finish is relative. I didn't think that my 2011 Focus was well put together until I drove the FGX. The Commodore's advantage isn't just the equipment but the plastics all over the dash and doors feel far more expensive than the recycled bin lids Ford use.

Yeah I'm not sure if the drivetrain noises were normal or unique to my car. It was a demo with 5000kms on it so I dare say that its had a hard life.

Did you buy one? There's a big difference between saying you'd buy one and actually laying out almost 50 biggies.
Yes i actually layed out 60 big ones for an XR8 due in September.
Mainforcepatrol is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-04-2015, 11:37 AM   #50
Morexbs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boza View Post
I know this is off topic but if the big car is dead why are people buying rangers and hiluxes for a family car like crazy I think the ranger is one of ford'd most popular models at the moment and people are buying them as a family runabout
Because Hiluxes and Rangers are not cars,they are utes.I was referring to sedans.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:00 PM   #51
DonnyDark
Starter Motor

My local Ford dealer (Byrne Ford Kedron) doesn't even have any new Falcons to look at. The Ford website doesn't have the Falcon on its front page. There has been no TV advertising. Are they actually making any?
DonnyDark is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post