Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-04-2015, 07:43 PM   #31
brennan.

Default Re: Cheaper used car yards... do genuine cars exist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T View Post

Anyone ever found a genuine car in any of these types of yards?
Yep, I have.
Old 26-04-2015, 08:00 PM   #32
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehoon View Post
I bought my BF XT with a genuine 24000kms for 9k in Melbourne.. Site unseen.

They're out there. Just look...
Good buy. Id be happy with that.

But for most of these 2nd or 3rd tier dealers it really is a dog act to consistently sell dud cars at high prices

Anyone can be tricked but car savvy people are more likely to unfoil their attempts. Knowing that 90% of cars sold at these types of dealers are no good, why take the chance???

Im ok with people paying too high a price but for a car that is as it seems, no hidden skeletons. But Im not ok with people offloading a lemon to others purporting its more than it appears. Basically tricking people out of their money paying more than they would have if they were given all the facts..

Thats what these sort of dealers do.
HULK_I6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2015, 08:34 PM   #33
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:

Thats what these sort of dealers do.
.......... and private sellers.

So naive in the way of the world........ really.

Used cars, thats what they are. I bought a BRAND NEW GT 335. The diff gave up at 50,000 k's. Warranty just ran out. Such is life. I only buy cars from dealers (except all my oldies) and have done so with about 50 or so, so far. Most great, some not.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 26-04-2015, 09:22 PM   #34
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
But for most of these 2nd or 3rd tier dealers it really is a dog act to consistently sell dud cars at high prices
You be quite surprised how many people buy these type of cars which of course are driven into the ground then off they go for their next purchase.

True fact.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2015, 09:49 PM   #35
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How the industry works, dealers get these cars as trade in. They send off to auction while seller, interstate a lot of times and then the smaller yards buy the cars and sell to the public.

The reason why these cars are not in dealerships as they do not meet the type of car they are selling, dealers keep and sell the best trade in.

Not all these cars are bad as some may have full service history etc, but they won't be premium looking cars.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-04-2015, 10:06 PM   #36
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There are these dealers around, and I'm not surprised when you see them out for business few months later.
In 2008 the girlfriend was looking for a car. Her mum found a Late 80's Astra in the paper on a dealers ad. She had no idea about cars so I went with them and had a look. It had about 200,000kms on it and was in pretty average condition, asking price $7,000. Obviously passed on it and every other car in the yard seamed to be priced too high as well.
Ended up privately buying a 2002 Echo with 32,000kms, in good condition apart from a small dent on a rear door for $8000.
Drove past the car yard that had the Astra few months later and the placed had closed down unsurprisingly. There has been a couple of other yards were I have looked at an overpriced car only to see the placed closed down months later.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2015, 11:02 PM   #37
T MAN

first problem is you went to the 2 worst used car yards in Sydney, car city and Australian fleet sales..

lmao...

i just picked up a ba future for the mrs with 175000km, 6 months reg, service history in good condition ( no busted seats or interior plastics)ect, for under $3000 in a car yard in Parramatta..

always haggle and cash is king....

Last edited by T MAN; 26-04-2015 at 11:07 PM.
T MAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2015, 05:21 PM   #38
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Where I bought my car, the salesman told me straight up that they're the trade ins from the local dealerships, the ones that aren't near new that they want to sell themselves.

I went through a lot of car yards in a lot of different suburbs, and some were quite obviously dodgy, some overly expensive for what they sold. That's why I shopped around.

If the cars aren't good enough, go to a better car yard? If it's a bit pricey, haggle? (we got 2k + the on road costs off their asking price) Quite honestly, they don't expect the money they ask for up front.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-04-2015, 08:30 PM   #39
HULK_I6T
Banned

When I was at car city they wanted $21000 for a 2009 ford territory tx. 97000km.

I told em I was looking for one and that I was off to a dealer to inspect another. They said someone had purchased that car but the finance fell through and there were two others coming to look at it .(does anyone believe that?)

I left him my number if they didn't sell it and said throw me a cash price that will make me come back

The guy rings me at 4.50pm and says come back and I can drive it away for $17k and that this price is out of this world.

I told him I can get that car at $14000 all day anywhere

To be honest it was rough too. But someone will get finance and prob give him $18-19k thinking they got a bargain.
Old 27-04-2015, 09:49 PM   #40
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
When I was at car city they wanted $21000 for a 2009 ford territory tx. 97000km.

I told em I was looking for one and that I was off to a dealer to inspect another. They said someone had purchased that car but the finance fell through and there were two others coming to look at it .(does anyone believe that?)

I left him my number if they didn't sell it and said throw me a cash price that will make me come back

The guy rings me at 4.50pm and says come back and I can drive it away for $17k and that this price is out of this world.

To be honest it was rough too. But someone will get finance and prob give him $18-19k thinking they got a bargain.
And this bothers you deeply ??? Have you ever heard of Auctions Hulk ?? You know Pickles, Manheim Fowles etc. As someone else asked, How old are you ??
Old 27-04-2015, 10:14 PM   #41
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Does every car you buy has to be a bargain? Does it always have to be a "Screw the seller" type attitude?

Maybe someone buys a car that they are just happy with, with a price they are to happy to pay and that is it? They don't think it is a contest to beat the sellers into submission? Why is it just so important? Many do not care how many K's, how many scratches ..... as long as its blue, or yellow or green and can go to the shops and back and blend in with the other shopping car dented cars.

Not everyone has to play the us vs them game like some seem to live for. I really do not understand why some have to appear to be the saviour to the used car buyers group. Many just want a piece of transport.

I remember when you were selling your cars and was horrified that no one would pay the prices you were asking! I thought you were asking horrendous prices and could have easily have written a thread about how overpriced they were and warned the poor unsuspecting buying public ...... but then I am not like that I am sure who ever bought them were happy after all

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2015, 10:29 PM   #42
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Welcome to reality mate.

it's as though this is new to you yet this is the way things are.

maybe stop concerning yourself so much about things like kms on cars, nightclubs in kings cross closing, being seen in your gym mates AMG, how others might afford a house et al.

your threads seem to convey a 'I've made it to the top of the heap' and express some supposed concern for others along with some worldly advice. The problem is the advice comes from your own seemingly narrow car focused world
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 28-04-2015, 12:05 AM   #43
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau View Post

I remember when you were selling your cars and was horrified that no one would pay the prices you were asking! I thought you were asking horrendous prices and could have easily have written a thread about how overpriced they were and warned the poor unsuspecting buying public ...... but then I am not like that I am sure who ever bought them were happy after all
Money is money... it has a fixed value where used cars will command a price dependant upon how honest the seller is or how astute the buyer is. There is a hard sell involved.

All i ask is that the seller be as honest as the buyer. If the buyer says ill pay $10,000, they bring $10,000 when its time to pay up, not throw them a bag of $5 bills saying its all there but only $9000 is there.

So why shouldnt sellers give what they promised? Instead promise one car and deliver something with hidden mechanical repairs, far from the buyers expectations.

Im just saying whatever the price agreed, just give them what they expect. No tricks, no lies, no gearbox ready to go boom..

My cars have sold for prices many on here think extremely high, but all buyers were overwelmed with the quality they received. I commend these buyers for seeking out the best, paying a little more than average but receiving the best available. A recent buyer had the brakes tested and they come up at 110% efficiency. They get more than they expected with me not a big mechanical surprise when they get home from many other sellers, that they have been fleeced.
Old 28-04-2015, 07:22 AM   #44
buggerlugs
Donating Member1

Great story bro................onto the next "thread"......
Old 28-04-2015, 08:39 AM   #45
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why are you going to known dodgy car dealers that aim to sell to people with no credit rating?

Work out what car old mate wants, go on carsales.com.au, type in make, model, set filter to sub 60,000km ODO, up to $10K in price and look at the cars and buy the best one.

Why are you making it sound harder than it is?
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 28-04-2015, 08:51 AM   #46
Xauterus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Stop the logic in this thread Stefan.
Xauterus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2015, 08:55 AM   #47
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd like to know how you can get brakes working at 110% efficiency

next you'll have perpetual motion solved
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 28-04-2015, 10:33 AM   #48
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx000 View Post

It would be a G force reading with a brake tester, meaning it pulled 1.1 G's which is possible in the right car and conditions.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2015, 10:40 AM   #49
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx000 View Post

That's easy, put some slotted discs on and your braking efficiency will increase by 10% over stock.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2015, 06:33 PM   #50
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
It would be a G force reading with a brake tester, meaning it pulled 1.1 G's which is possible in the right car and conditions.
the new owner told me. He had to do a roadworthy and said thats what the rating was.

Theose brakes werent new either, at least 10,000km old.
Old 28-04-2015, 06:41 PM   #51
BradEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I do work for many many dozens of used car dealers as my job. And there are only a couple that I would buy a car from. Car dealers tend to be sneaky and untrustworthy so take care and inspect the car thoroughly Is all you can do short of buying new
BradEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2015, 06:33 PM   #52
2002au
Define definitive

I brought a 07 Hilux with nearly 200 thousand kms. Yolo
BF F6 TYPHOON in NEO #718 ~ 356rwkw :
BF XR6 TURBO in SILHOUETTE
2002au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2015, 06:45 PM   #53
HULK_I6T
Banned

I did once find a car I thought was pretty decent in one of "those yards"

It was in the year 2000 at Car city Mitchinbury when I saw a white EL futura with 62,000km for $6500. We were haggling, I wanted it for $6000, but they said best was $6200, I left to think about it.

It was very neat but had a big scrape mark on the bottom part of a door like it had mounted a medium strip or something. Sort of dented underneather the door on passenger side.

I ended up buying a V8 EL fairmont with 76,000km for $7000 privately and it was a minter.

So they nearly got me back in 2000 if the scrape mark wasnt there and if they let it go at $6000..

Since then Ive seen nothing id even consider.

Last edited by HULK_I6T; 29-04-2015 at 06:50 PM.
Old 29-04-2015, 06:49 PM   #54
HULK_I6T
Banned

I took a BA xr6t for a drive once in one of "those yards", it had 208,000km but looked very neat somehow. I thought lets see what its got. The giveaway was an ebay intercooler on it and at least a catback, not sure of other mods. The salesman said "this one goes like a "cut cat"

When I took it on the road, the boost just didnt want to come on, it was jerky and hit boost and then off boost and then boost again etc etc. Some sort of fuelling or wastegate issue for me. All over the shop.

I was thinking "are these guys for real or what"... Returned the car to the yard and told the salesman and he acted all surprised? He was probably crossing his fingers and toes thinking "I hope it dont play up on this drive"
Old 29-04-2015, 06:55 PM   #55
buggerlugs
Donating Member1

Quote:
I did once find a car I thought was pretty decent in one of "those yards"

It was in the year 2000 at Car city Mitchinbury when I saw a white EL futura with 62,000km for $6500. We were haggling, I wanted it for $6000, but they said best was $6200, I left to think about it.

It was very neat but had a big scrape mark on the bottom part of a door like it had mounted a medium strip or something. Sort of dented underneather the door on passenger side.

I ended up buying a V8 EL fairmont with 76,000km for $7000 privately and it was a minter.

So they nearly got me back in 2000 if the scrape mark wasnt there and if they let it go at $6000..

Since then Ive seen nothing id even consider.
How do you sleep at night ................
Old 29-04-2015, 06:59 PM   #56
buggerlugs
Donating Member1

Quote:
I took a BA xr6t for a drive once in one of "those yards", it had 208,000km but looked very neat somehow. I thought lets see what its got. The giveaway was an ebay intercooler on it and at least a catback, not sure of other mods. The salesman said "this one goes like a "cut cat"

When I took it on the road, the boost just didnt want to come on, it was jerky and hit boost and then off boost and then boost again etc etc. Some sort of fuelling or wastegate issue for me. All over the shop.

I was thinking "are these guys for real or what"... Returned the car to the yard and told the salesman and he acted all surprised? He was probably crossing his fingers and toes thinking "I hope it dont play up on this drive"
Once you have visited one of "Those" yards, do you rush home and douse yourself in Pine a Clean ??
3 users like this post:
Old 29-04-2015, 07:02 PM   #57
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Money is money... it has a fixed value where used cars will command a price dependant upon how honest the seller is or how astute the buyer is. There is a hard sell involved.

All i ask is that the seller be as honest as the buyer. If the buyer says ill pay $10,000, they bring $10,000 when its time to pay up, not throw them a bag of $5 bills saying its all there but only $9000 is there.

So why shouldnt sellers give what they promised? Instead promise one car and deliver something with hidden mechanical repairs, far from the buyers expectations.

Im just saying whatever the price agreed, just give them what they expect. No tricks, no lies, no gearbox ready to go boom..

My cars have sold for prices many on here think extremely high, but all buyers were overwelmed with the quality they received. I commend these buyers for seeking out the best, paying a little more than average but receiving the best available. A recent buyer had the brakes tested and they come up at 110% efficiency. They get more than they expected with me not a big mechanical surprise when they get home from many other sellers, that they have been fleeced.
And I wonder how much you paid the previous owners of these cars you sold. Probably alot less than they were asking for, so you almost (If not) made money when you sold them.

I don't understand this thread (as I do with most of these) but You want a Rolls Royce, you go to a Rolls Royce Dealer and and Pay a Rolls Royce price.

You want a Cherry? Go to a Cherry Dealer, and pay a Cherry price.

The same thinking translates to second-hand cars.

Logical really...............................
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2015, 07:43 PM   #58
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Why are you going to known dodgy car dealers that aim to sell to people with no credit rating?

Work out what car old mate wants, go on carsales.com.au, type in make, model, set filter to sub 60,000km ODO, up to $10K in price and look at the cars and buy the best one.

Why are you making it sound harder than it is?
This post is total madness and is completely at odds with the spirit of the thread.

If people took notice of this type of rubbish advice there would not have been a need for any more posts.

Good to see it was totally ignored by the OP.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2015, 10:14 AM   #59
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i found my old AU1 XR8 at a dodgy dealer, the ad said "Worked XR8" i asked what was worked he said extractors and big exhaust, it was just an ex cop with stock headers and a 3in tail pipe....anyway bought it for $5300 and sold it a year later for $6500 privately

another car i nearly bought but was a AU2 XR8 Rebel that was advertised for $6500 at a dealer near me and he said he can't move V8's so i said whats your best price he said $4200 but i missed out by one day because he sold it the next morning and i was going back in the arvo. spewing about that one
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2015, 12:26 PM   #60
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebv8 View Post
i found my old AU1 XR8 at a dodgy dealer, the ad said "Worked XR8" i asked what was worked he said extractors and big exhaust, it was just an ex cop with stock headers and a 3in tail pipe....anyway bought it for $5300 and sold it a year later for $6500 privately
You bought it for $5300 and sold it a year later for $6500? is there something missing here? What did you spend on it during that year? Did you bank $1200 as your post suggests?