Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-08-2015, 09:03 PM   #31
nstg8a

Default Re: Why are Fairlanes cheaper than Falcons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Gotta be honest, IMHO the NL was the last attractive Fairlane.
I really didn't like the nl/nf's. They looked way to falcon for me.

Having said that, I never really liked the au fairlanes either, but it grew on me,

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR.
A sad result. The AU Fairlanes especially have aged into looking good and I think will be a bit of a sleeper classic in the future. Also, they're rare due to the low build numbers.

Of course I will soon be sharing your pain as I'm about to put mine up for sale and am not looking forward to the process. I hate the thought of having to part it out...
Yeah it's really not much fun at all.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2015, 10:29 PM   #32
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Like anything, its supply & demand that determines prices.

I suspect that proportionately more Fairlanes have survived because they tended to be better looked after, less likely to be used as hacks, etc. So say they originally made up 5% of sales compared to Falcons, they would now be 10% of the cars still on the road.

There is intrinsic bias in the buyers market. People around my age want to buy either the car their Dad had, or the car they dreamt of owning as a kid. For most, that is a Falcon. The irony here is that people would rather buy a Falcon that started life as a 6 and convert it to a V8, than buy a Fairlane or Ltd that had a V8 from the factory.

For many of us, Fairlanes and esp LTDs were the limos of our generation. They were the wedding cars, the government cars, and yes the FUNERAL cars of their day.
Now or in the near future, who wants to restore a stretch-limo?

At the end of the day, many people buying and modding these cars are,, well let's just call them "performance orientated." If you're going to spend a packet on your engine, chasing the best quarter mile time, why saddle it with an extra 200kg of sheetmetal?
Just sit in the back from the ZH Fairlane or LTD on any trip, that's what it's all about just magic and no Falcon can cut that.
I have never heard anyone complain of fighting too ride shot gun in a Fairlane or LTD.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 15-08-2015, 12:15 AM   #33
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
According to the specs on Unique Cars.

Fairlane 1651kg (Marquis 1768kg)
Falcon 1475kg

Fairlane... http://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au...ifications.htm
Falcon... http://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au...ifications.htm

I think you will find the weight difference is less than that, something like 70 to 100 kg if you compare a Fairlane with a V8 falcon.
Old 15-08-2015, 12:20 AM   #34
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

The big thing is that a Falcon has that Bathurst heritage whereas a Fairlane doesn't. But now when I take my Fairlane out people genuinely don't know what it is.
Old 15-08-2015, 01:04 AM   #35
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by castellan View Post
Just sit in the back from the ZH Fairlane or LTD on any trip, that's what it's all about just magic and no Falcon can cut that.
I have never heard anyone complain of fighting too ride shot gun in a Fairlane or LTD.
So THAT's why Fairlanes are cheaper?
Old 15-08-2015, 01:20 AM   #36
toothless
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

always loved my fairlanes over the falcon why because its comfy to drive and its a cruiser

Old 15-08-2015, 12:29 PM   #37
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So THAT's why Fairlanes are cheaper?
I think it's just a yuppy type thing going with the trends or they think the car is just too big.

I would buy a Fairlane any day over a Falcon as a family car.

People just do not think Fairlane when they go looking because they just assume it will cost more and put it out of their head.

It's all about demand at the time as to the price one can get.
Old 15-08-2015, 05:04 PM   #38
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I owned a ZL Fairlane in the late 90's. I'd still have it had it been an V8. Great looking cars and very comfortable and well appointed even back then. Kids loved the extra leg room too!! Great on long trips.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-08-2015, 10:31 PM   #39
73gscoupe

some great zf zg fairlanes on carsales at the moment. seem to be around the 10k mark which I reckon is great buying. I would be looking to pickup a factory 351 car with power and air in unmolested condition if I was buying. look for the options, the more the better. seems prices are going up recently on fairlanes, guess the falcon sedans are getting hard to find. only going to get harder to find.

main putoff for people in the past I think was the luxury car image rather than the performance image (gt association) of the falcon. styling I guess also, but its horses for courses, the fairlanes have a good look to them I think.
73gscoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2015, 01:39 AM   #40
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That Galaxie Show Car FPV built around the time of the BF? looked the goods..
Pity it did not make production.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2015, 11:08 AM   #41
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

WHo knows what things will be worth in the future? It's a mystery that even the best pundits have got badly wrong over the years.

For your consideration, I present this perfect example of how we all got things horribly wrong many years ago:

The VH-onwards Valiant Hardtop.
When I started driving in 1982, these things were still around in fairly big numbers. However, people...even real Valiant nuts (myself included) at the time...would crawl over a dozen pristine desirably-equipped versions to get to one Charger, or even a four door Val with popular options. They were seen as "too long in the bum", "too big and heavy looking", etc. Everyone wanted Chargers which were cheap (I paid $1800 for mine in 1983), and passed over the hardtops.

Now they're worth an absolute fortune and exist in only fairly small numbers, with people lining up to try and buy them at any price.

Same with Fairlanes...we used to see them as "Grandads car" and "big and wallowy and heavy". Only a few were ever modified, and even less people under 40 wanted one...certainly no young guys wanted them back in the eighties.
Even now, while I have a real love of the ZA to ZD Fairlanes and especially like the ZH Marquis, I see the ZF and ZG as nothing but big heavy-looking lard-asses that I wouldn't even consider buying at any price.

But who knows what will be worth good money in years to come?
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 16-08-2015, 01:00 PM   #42
Nanoraptor
Futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks View Post
The big thing is that a Falcon has that Bathurst heritage whereas a Fairlane doesn't. But now when I take my Fairlane out people genuinely don't know what it is.
And the older the car gets, the larger a percentage of the price is its reputation, desirability, name - all the intangible things that aren't part of the value of the raw sheet metal.

As transport and materials, any reasonably original condition 60s, 70s or 80s hulk of metal on wheels is worth sub $1k. Almost all of the value of these cars (my lovely '69 Futura included) is in style, cachet, exclusivity, history, memories and the like.

Fairlanes just don't have that over the Falcons. Yet ;). The older I get the more I'm likely to be swayed by a slick P6!
Nanoraptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2015, 02:39 PM   #43
Gothefalcon
FAWD - No Boundaries
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: He takes long trips in his AWD Falcon & where ever he goes he sets out to meet forum members at various destinations. He does this without expectation of any sort. I have had the pleasure of spending time with Dhru on two of his separate trips and his gre Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The excellent write ups in your BF AWD Falcon Wagon thread 

I believe it's mainly down to perception. And a lot of that perception was placed in the minds of the general buying public by FoMoCo (& GMH for the Statey etc) when they pitched the Fairlane at the executive as a symbol of status/success etc.
As a lot of high level execs were also people that had worked their way up through the ranks (maybe more so, back in the day)... they were the "older gent'... and had to drive something which reflected their achievements and responsibilities. etc. etc.... and thus... the general perception was that cars like the Fairlane were "Old Man's cars" ! Big barges... heavy... thirsty... expensive (to buy and own).

Later... when they are a few years older... and sit in the car yard at prices similar to Falcon's etc... the perception is that it must be clapped out, requiring expensive repairs (why else would such a big expensive car be so cheap !?? etc.)... and are still passed off as an "Old Man's barge".

I've owned heaps of big Fords in the last 34yrs... and only one of them has been a SWB Falcon. and although I loved my first XB Sedan... it wasn't because it was a SWB model ! After that... they were all LWB models (Wagon, Ute, Fairlane... 250, 2v250, 302, 351, Auto, Manual) and I realised the cost of ownership had little to do with the extra length.... or even the extra weight... but more to do with how you drove.... and the condition you kept the vehicle in.

I got my first Fairlane (a ZF 302) when I was 21... My second (a ZG 351) when I was 24... and my current (an NL 5.0) when I was 34... and I've been paid out by all and sundry for driving an "Old Man's car"... even to this time in my life when I'm about to graduate to "official" old man status (I turn 50 in about a month )... but my mates also grew to love the Lanes as we cruised around in them, with room to spare... and they stopped thinking of them so much as Old Man's cars... when the ZG's 351 would blow most others away... or a quick fang through the Hills in the NL would leave most other "average" cars of that era for dead ! (it's not all about 'speed"... it's more about flow & pace )

The NL is mainly used for the Sunday pub run now... and weekend cruises through the Adelaide Hills on lovely sunny days. It may not have all the "gadgets" of the modern cars... but it still holds it's own as a comfortable, luxury car... and although the little winger 5.0 is not the most powerful V8 out there (admittedly, by a long shot)... it's effortless torque through the mid range is still smooth and addictive.

A 98 NL Ghia 5.0 may only be valued at about 8% of it's original market value now... but I'll be holding onto mine... and keeping it in great condition... and one day, it's relative value will be realised once again. (understood that could take another 15-20yrs )

BTW... I'll still be driving my LWB Falcon Wagon then too

D

22 DJR Shell V-Power Mustang Eskymobile (my first EV)
07 BF2 AWD Falcon Wagon (Daily driver)
04 BA Falcon 1Tonner Ute (New Project)
03 BA Falcon Wagon (Spare)
98 NL Fairlane Ghia V8 (Weekend cruiser)
70 VG paddock racer (Cain it til it breaks.. fix it.. Cain it all over again !)
Gothefalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2015, 06:34 PM   #44
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
Even now, while I have a real love of the ZA to ZD Fairlanes and especially like the ZH Marquis, I see the ZF and ZG as nothing but big heavy-looking lard-asses that I wouldn't even consider buying at any price.
Seems quite common, I think it is because the ZF/ZG looked too similar to the XA/XB just longer, ZA-ZD & ZH had a very distinct look about them.

That is the reason I like the ZF/ZG! Still trying to work out the differences between the ZF and ZG though...

Last edited by jstanovic; 16-08-2015 at 06:40 PM.
jstanovic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2015, 07:54 PM   #45
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanovic View Post
Seems quite common, I think it is because the ZF/ZG looked too similar to the XA/XB just longer, ZA-ZD & ZH had a very distinct look about them.

That is the reason I like the ZF/ZG! Still trying to work out the differences between the ZF and ZG though...
I think you're right...the ZF/ZG do look just like a "fat Falcon". My late Uncle had one which, looking back, I should have tried to get out of the old guys hands. It was fairly unique, from the days of the Australian motoring industry when almost any option combo would be accepted happily. It had a full white interior, T bar auto, 351, air, power steer, power everything, and it was a gleaming 1970's purple. He actually had it fitted aftermarket with what can only be described as a continental kit...a bumper extension with the spare wheel mounted on the back at an angle. Weird, yes, but the sort of aftermarket seventies accessory you just don't see anymore.

I think the other comment about "why would an expensive car be so cheap" is good as well...probably because people forgot that underneath it actually was just a Falcon and apart from trim and other "Fairlane" bits, would have and should have been the same price to service and maintain.
Old 16-08-2015, 08:47 PM   #46
T-Pak Addict
Jim

Couldnt afford much myself, so got myself a ZL Fairlaine as a weekend cruiser, all I did was dump it and chuck some wheels on,,,, Had a lot of nice drives in it last year clocking up 5,000 kays in 4 months. Doing a little body work on it over winter but cant wait to get in and take her out again....

The Old Daily.......2003 Octane BA Taxi Pak Egas Falcon Build Thread
T-Pak Addict is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2015, 09:07 PM   #47
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Pak Addict View Post
Couldnt afford much myself, so got myself a ZL Fairlaine as a weekend cruiser, all I did was dump it and chuck some wheels on,,,, Had a lot of nice drives in it last year clocking up 5,000 kays in 4 months. Doing a little body work on it over winter but cant wait to get in and take her out again....

Sleepy sleepers in the market right now.

Jump on them
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2015, 09:18 PM   #48
T-Pak Addict
Jim

Seen a few nice lanes about for sale and at nice prices....
Love ZF/G's myself and wouldnt say no if the money was available.....

Old 16-08-2015, 09:49 PM   #49
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The ZJ Fairlane's on just did not cut it like the ones before for looks as ZA to ZH stook out directly from a falcon.
Some how the ZF-G just did not stand out as much, it may of been due to the P5 LTD being such great looking car.

A big Ford fan mate of mine and I were driven to some party in a NL Fairlane, the next day I mentioned about the Fairlane and he says what Fairlane that was a Falcon, no no no it's Fairlane I said as I have seen it in the day time, it's a Fairlane ! he would not believe it and said it was a Fairmont but we were drunk before getting in.

Most of my mates dads had Fairlanes from the 60's to the 80's and were in their late 30's and on, but owned farms mainly or drove distance more than most others would.
Old 16-08-2015, 10:05 PM   #50
T-Pak Addict
Jim

Well they are dam comfy and had a fair bit of ride height.....

Was just begging to be lowered

Old 16-08-2015, 10:43 PM   #51
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by castellan View Post
The ZJ Fairlane's on just did not cut it like the ones before for looks as ZA to ZH stook out directly from a falcon.
Some how the ZF-G just did not stand out as much, it may of been due to the P5 LTD being such great looking car.

A big Ford fan mate of mine and I were driven to some party in a NL Fairlane, the next day I mentioned about the Fairlane and he says what Fairlane that was a Falcon, no no no it's Fairlane I said as I have seen it in the day time, it's a Fairlane ! he would not believe it and said it was a Fairmont but we were drunk before getting in.

Most of my mates dads had Fairlanes from the 60's to the 80's and were in their late 30's and on, but owned farms mainly or drove distance more than most others would.

I don't mind the ZJ and ZK's, and the equivalent LTD's with their tinted tail lights and awesome leather interiors - just awesome. They had their own dash design as well which set them apart even from the Fairmont Ghia's.

The NL though... that was clearly the lowest point in the Fairlane/LTD's styling history. Shared headlights with a Falcon GLi Look at that pic posted by Gothefalcon - you gotta look real close to figure out if it's a Fairmont or a Fairlane. From the front you just cant tell. I think that was ultimately what brought on the Fairlanes death. (would have happened eventually no matter what of course) The AU vintage looked completely different to a Falcon, but by that point the damage had been done.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2015, 11:18 PM   #52
T-Pak Addict
Jim

wonder how many Fairlaines & LTD's have been parted out just for their drivelines to go into C code Falcons

Old 17-08-2015, 01:57 AM   #53
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seen a few lately for sub $10k but all over east. A few over here but $4-5k more. I would love to fly over as there are many more to choose from but the cost in transport, flights, getting it passed inspection over here is a lot of hassle and $$$.

Anyone bought an old Ford and driven it across the Nullabor??????? Would love to do it but imagine breaking down half way :(
jstanovic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2015, 02:45 AM   #54
chamb0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanovic View Post
Anyone bought an old Ford and driven it across the Nullabor??????? Would love to do it but imagine breaking down half way :(
These two fellas did it (and more) a couple of years ago in a clunky old ZH..

http://www.manspacemagazine.com.au/o...in-reminiscin/
Old 17-08-2015, 07:35 AM   #55
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized View Post

The NL though... that was clearly the lowest point in the Fairlane/LTD's styling history. Shared headlights with a Falcon GLi
Not true actually.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-08-2015, 08:25 AM   #56
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized View Post
The NL though... that was clearly the lowest point in the Fairlane/LTD's styling history.
I reckon the BA/BF Fairlane/LTD was, it just looked like a stretched taxi.

The AU was the best looking Fairlane IMO.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2015, 10:08 AM   #57
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Pak Addict View Post
Well they are dam comfy and had a fair bit of ride height.....

Was just begging to be lowered
Remember the very popular TV advert with the guy who owned a huge property somewhere in the Northern Territory who always bought Fairlanes? Made for a big country and could comfortably cover all sorts of rough roads with ease and just keep on going.
Sadly something a lot of modern luxury models from both Ford and Holden have lost, wanting to be more "Euro" by hugging the ground on licorice-strip tyres on huge rims...take them away from the billaird-table-smooth highways around the capital cities, and they ride like a bullock dray...

Parting out? Smart move...let's face it, even specced up with a 351 and good drivetrain, because of the demographic that bought them, they were never going to be thrashed and hooned about it, more likely sedately driven around and then probably not all that often for the most part. Good source of running gear for a Falcon that would not have been overstressed and very likely well maintained and looked after carefully.
Old 17-08-2015, 10:15 AM   #58
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a soft spot for the zj fairlanes and have even found myself looking around for a nice cheap v8 one
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2015, 10:53 AM   #59
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

My favourite Fairlanes are the first ones - ZA and ZB.

Back in the day I had a Black ZB with 8" kidney bean mags, twin pipes and slightly lowered. A very sinister looking car but I loved it. It was a bit of a roughie but if I had it today it would have been a great resto to do.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2015, 03:11 PM   #60
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
I reckon the BA/BF Fairlane/LTD was, it just looked like a stretched taxi.

The AU was the best looking Fairlane IMO.
Oh yeah of course, the BA/BF version shared the Falcons headlights and tail lights. They'd completely given up by that stage though, and it showed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
Not true actually.
ok so the high series had different headlights. Still too close for comfort.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post