Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 17-10-2015, 01:37 PM   #31
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Fatty Liver Anyone?

around 2 year ago I was up to 155kg and lost (In a 2 month period whilst I was off on leave) around 35kg but since put about 20kg back on
ive had sleep apnia for years , and if im not sleeping well im putting on weight and if im putting on weight I tend not to sleep well
but when I lost that weight I was also doing a liver detox program with exercise and weights (how ever doing same atm and not losing like before) also found even small amounts of back/neck pain needed to be addressed to help body relax and when body is happier lost weight easier so was occasionally seeing a chiro/physio back then too and think it helped
I recon even stress can be a negative affect as well

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-10-2015, 03:06 PM   #32
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you're struggling sticking to any sort of diet because you don't want to eat rabbit food/etc, try 5:2 fasting. It at least allows you to keep eating a variety of foods, but the weight loss comes from the inclusion of two days per week where you limit your food intake to 500 Cal only.

The upside of 5:2 fasting is that on the fast days, you burn through all your liver glycogen and force your liver to use the fat that's there.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-10-2015, 03:26 PM   #33
OCTANEBOSS

Wodahs, do you use a CPAP machine for your sleep apnia?, I have for about 2 & a half years now and as much as I hate using it I dont wake up feeling as I have been on the P*** all night. Lack of good quality sleep does so much bad sh** to your body its pretty dangerous.
OCTANEBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2015, 05:19 PM   #34
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCTANEBOSS View Post
Wodahs, do you use a CPAP machine for your sleep apnia?, I have for about 2 & a half years now and as much as I hate using it I dont wake up feeling as I have been on the P*** all night. Lack of good quality sleep does so much bad sh** to your body its pretty dangerous.
yer ive had mine for 3 to 4 years and on the main when im not having other problems I tend to get a great nites sleep and when my weight is down I don't tend to need to rely on it so much (even tho I use it nightly)
but if I pinch a nerve or felling less than 100% in other ways like tension or stress or .... it doesn't matter how well the cpap is helping its still a rough nites sleep

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-10-2015, 07:39 PM   #35
damo76
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow suck great feedback guys, i just got back from doing a 25km bike ride.
I am going to stop reading things on the internet because it is confusing me a lot with diet and exersise.
Just going to eat well and exersise heaps.
First couple of weeks of exersise i felt exhausted if i exceaded 4 day of gym in a row but i have been to the gym 5 days in a row and just been for a 25km bike ride and feel great, i feel i could do more.
Personal trainer at the gym says i am doing too much but in my logic the more i push the better.
Oh well see if i'm right.
But it's great to hear your guys stories and it's an inspiration and helps me to soldier on.
I will have a look at the 5:2 diet and optislim, suss them out
damo76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-10-2015, 11:26 PM   #36
damo76
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So if i have a big plate of salad some beans and tuna for dinner (super healthy) if i don't burn the carbs from that healthy dinner it still turns to fat?
Old 17-10-2015, 11:31 PM   #37
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Try the shakes diet ? Keep away from bread and sweets .. Fish and lean meat is ok with salads .. No sweet dressing though.. No potato, rice or spaghetti.. Pumpkin, sweet potato is fine.. No peas or avocado ..
I do ok till the Mrs cooks some fresh scones .... Ahhhh !!
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2015, 12:21 AM   #38
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo76 View Post
So if i have a big plate of salad some beans and tuna for dinner (super healthy) if i don't burn the carbs from that healthy dinner it still turns to fat?
Maybe, maybe not. Depends on how long since your last meal, your activity levels, etc.

Think of it like this... your body has two fuel tanks, a small one (this one stores carbs AKA glycogen) and a large one (this one stores fat). the second tank can be filled directly with fat, or indirectly using the carbs that overflow from the first tank.

Your body uses fuel from the first tank preferentially. Once this tank is empty, your body looks for fuel from the second tank.

So long as you consume as much fuel as you put in, you wont be increasing the amount of fuel in the second tank, on average. If you consume more, you will start emptying the second tank. The fact that occasionally you might top up the second tank doesn't matter, you will be burning the fuel in it at some point.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-10-2015, 10:34 AM   #39
CJR09
RPO 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240 View Post
.. No peas or avocado
why no peas or avo?

whilst I do not suffer fatty liver - very recently I spent a week in hospital with a ruptured bowel caused by previously undiagnosed underlying bowel disease - i spent a week on water, followed by a week on free clear fluid and have since spent 3 weeks on a low residue diet - soon to switch to a high fibre diet in the next couple of weeks - the biggest advice I would give is to get to a registered dietician asap and get a proper meal plan made up for yourself - go to your GP and get a full set of bloods done so the dietician has a base to work off - yes this may cost a couple hundy but in my opinion thats a pretty cheap price to pay for some decent advice - if you have health insurance this is normally claimable - as suggested everyone is different and will have different requirements

Q: If you have tried to sell it three times now and it is still not sold, do you think it might be over-priced?

A: It is over priced - just like all the other falcon coupes for sale!!

CJR09 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2015, 11:58 AM   #40
graphicgoose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I will have a look at the 5:2 diet and optislim, suss them out
OptiFAST bud, not Optislim. Two rather different products. If you do try the Optifast make sure you get the new recipe ones (they come in boxes of 12, not 24) as the old recipe taste gross.
graphicgoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2015, 01:57 PM   #41
damo76
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJR09 View Post
why no peas or avo?

whilst I do not suffer fatty liver - very recently I spent a week in hospital with a ruptured bowel caused by previously undiagnosed underlying bowel disease - i spent a week on water, followed by a week on free clear fluid and have since spent 3 weeks on a low residue diet - soon to switch to a high fibre diet in the next couple of weeks - the biggest advice I would give is to get to a registered dietician asap and get a proper meal plan made up for yourself - go to your GP and get a full set of bloods done so the dietician has a base to work off - yes this may cost a couple hundy but in my opinion thats a pretty cheap price to pay for some decent advice - if you have health insurance this is normally claimable - as suggested everyone is different and will have different requirements
Thanks, hope all is ok with you.. I did get a referal from doc when i saw him 2 weeks ago bu they haven't phoned me to make an appointment, starting to get worried about it.
Old 18-10-2015, 01:58 PM   #42
damo76
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicgoose View Post
OptiFAST bud, not Optislim. Two rather different products. If you do try the Optifast make sure you get the new recipe ones (they come in boxes of 12, not 24) as the old recipe taste gross.
I'll have a look at the optifast thanks
Old 18-10-2015, 02:09 PM   #43
CJR09
RPO 77

Quote:
Thanks, hope all is ok with you.. I did get a referal from doc when i saw him 2 weeks ago bu they haven't phoned me to make an appointment, starting to get worried about it.

no worries - yes on the mend now but the first 3/4 days in hospital were pretty scary, chase up the doc/referral - your health is more important than anything - dont take it for granted!

Q: If you have tried to sell it three times now and it is still not sold, do you think it might be over-priced?

A: It is over priced - just like all the other falcon coupes for sale!!

CJR09 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2015, 05:11 PM   #44
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJR09 View Post
why no peas or avo?

I'm under Circle of care program .. I guess they are high in fatty oils or high in carbs ? It's about the liver at present ..
It's a program to lose the fat on liver.. No sweet fruits either or very little ..
Lucky I like fish ...Optifast is the shakes I'm talking about .. Taken with right food you don't feel hungry ... I MAY have sleeve operation as I'm sick of feeling full and hungry at the same time .. Making things nearly impossible to lose weight ...http://www.circleofcare.com.au
Daily driver GTE FG..

Last edited by ebxr8240; 18-10-2015 at 05:17 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 19-10-2015, 12:38 PM   #45
OCTANEBOSS

OK here I go, 3 shakes a day, 2 cups vege, 1 pale ale & no more smoking, Optifast( VLCD chocolate), wish they were the newer tasty ones but will give it a go.
T- Minus 123.6 kg
All good, nothing ventured, nothing gained
6 users like this post:
Old 19-10-2015, 12:51 PM   #46
damo76
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCTANEBOSS View Post
OK here I go, 3 shakes a day, 2 cups vege, 1 pale ale & no more smoking, Optifast( VLCD chocolate), wish they were the newer tasty ones but will give it a go.
T- Minus 123.6 kg
All good, nothing ventured, nothing gained
Is that all you going to eat? 2 cups of veges?
last week i tried not eating much got got headaches and tired and starving like i wasnt getting enough nutrients, trying to sought that bit out.
Good luck
2 users like this post:
Old 19-10-2015, 01:09 PM   #47
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

I have the small tins of chilli tuna if I'm hungry . Wrapt in lettuce and chopped up veg .. With coffee and shake it fills me . Thing is to be busy so your not thinking of it ..
Daily driver GTE FG..
3 users like this post:
Old 19-10-2015, 01:10 PM   #48
damo76
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can't start any programs anyway, out of work atm. I was supposed to start today but the labour hire mob never phoned me for a medical. So i can't 100% commit to anything untill i know whats going on.
Thing is this job is going to be 12 hour days so it is going to make it hard to go to the gym and eat right.
Would love a 8 hour day job but either they don't exist or i just can't get one.
Old 19-10-2015, 01:14 PM   #49
graphicgoose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
last week i tried not eating much got got headaches and tired and starving like i wasnt getting enough nutrients, trying to sought that bit out.
Good luck
That's all you're supposed to have on the Optifast VLCD. 3 shakes and at least 2 cups of veggies a day. Your body, at which point, is getting all the nutrients it needs. The headaches etc are all part of your body shifting into ketosis. Usually after the first 3 days that subsides and you start to feel normal again. The biggest thing to remember is to drink HEAPS of water (at LEAST 2L a day), which helps keep you full but also is essential for your body to flush out all the crap it'll produce burning fat in ketosis.

Also, good luck OCTANEBOSS! Smash it bro! I'm nearing the end of week 1 back on Optifast and I've dropped 3kg so far.
4 users like this post:
Old 19-10-2015, 01:19 PM   #50
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Good luck
I got that too from Lite and Easy. Suffice to say it quickly went the way of the dodo.

For me I've drastically changed my normal diet (due to circumstances and funds) so my work week diet looks something like this now:

- Breakfast is 5 weet bix with a cup whole milk (at the recommendation of my psych) and a teaspoon of raw sugar to take the edge off the bland wheat taste.

- Two toasted sandwiches with meat, cheese and tomato.

- A serve of meat (up to 200gm) and the rest of the plate filled with salad or vegetables.

- My cup of coffee (my mug is like a soup bowl so say two standard mugs)

- Approx 1.5lt of water a day.

- One mug of green tea

This is coupled with 6km of walking a day on average.

I can tell already I'm not as bloated as I used to be and my shirts feel bigger on me. When I started I was about 140kg and now I'm about 135kg after two weeks, I don't have scales as I find them a deterrent and will get weighed when I visit the GP.

The only thing the GP could pick on with my recent blood test was one of the 4 liver enzymes was slightly elevated but other than that she said to me she couldn't have received a better blood test from a guy my size.
Old 19-10-2015, 01:21 PM   #51
OCTANEBOSS

Quote:
Good luck
Thanks mate, sounds like im going to need it
Yeh 2 cups of veg with a little bit of butter, s&p. Im gunna miss me steak but Ive gotta give it a go. Worked it to around 800 calories a day. Might have to experiment with the tuna type set up thou last time I had it nearly made me spew Still got 2 more weeks in a sling and another 4 after that of low impact Physio before I can start really pushing myself a bit harder. Off to the quacks now for another check over. Think he is getting sick of seeing me over the last 6 months , catch ya after
Old 19-10-2015, 03:22 PM   #52
BLUEYBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Good luck

you might fine that could be your body reacting to not having the sugar. You have to try and stick it out and keep the fluids up as well. No that doesn't include beer
1995 EF Fairmont - Tickford Enhanced
1980 ZL Fairlane in Brambles red
BLUEYBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-10-2015, 05:11 PM   #53
snowcone

Was diagnosed with Fatty Liver over 10 year ago.
Did low carb diets and Sandra Cabot pills etc.
Got the weight down but a man cannot live like a rabbit forever.
Gotta have the burgers and coke.
Even with my weight down around 90kg the liver function tests still showed fatty so I take the attitude now that I will live how I want to, not how all the books say I should.
2002 Ford Explorer

I only drive V8's
snowcone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-10-2015, 10:06 PM   #54
OCTANEBOSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicgoose View Post

Also, good luck OCTANEBOSS! Smash it bro! I'm nearing the end of week 1 back on Optifast and I've dropped 3kg so far.
That the s***, beautiful! That's what I wanted to hear, it works. Just had fresh beans & cauliflower in a bit of butter with garlic - very tasty early tea. Can see peoples point about getting hungry thou, just gotta get used of not walking past the fridge at times if I'm hungry and pulling out something to munch on. I did however subconsciously open a second coopers up before I realized what I was doin, I had to drink it, not like I could use it for beer batter Will post up my weight next week for comparison.
Cheers
3 users like this post:
Old 19-10-2015, 10:28 PM   #55
Windsor220
Now Fordless

If you're interested in watching your calories you can download an app called myfitnesspal and it allows you to log your food by scanning barcodes making it easy. It works out your calorie limit from weight and goals you want to achieve. As long as you stay under your calorie limit you can generally eat what you want. You learn quickly what foods are good and whats bad for you.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-10-2015, 12:34 AM   #56
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Don't be afraid of having a good steak and vege ..or you'll get sick of it ..
No chips, cut down on salt .. Portion control portion control ..
Daily driver GTE FG..
2 users like this post:
Old 20-10-2015, 01:18 AM   #57
damo76
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mmm portion control is the bit im having the issue with, even when I make a healthy salad, it is huge and takes up the whole plate. lol I don't plan to make it big but with the stuff i cut up and put in adds up to a lot.
Just had 2 slices of banana bread FFS feel guilty as now but been sitting there a while didnt want it to go off.
Think I need to get one of thses portion plates, I really want to know exactly how much i can put on my plate.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Adult-Port.../dp/B003JIZ8HA
Old 20-10-2015, 01:25 AM   #58
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Too many carbs and sugar in banana bread .. Far better off having meat or fish.. Skip the butter too...
Daily driver GTE FG..
Old 20-10-2015, 10:08 AM   #59
graphicgoose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
mmm portion control is the bit im having the issue with, even when I make a healthy salad, it is huge and takes up the whole plate. lol I don't plan to make it big but with the stuff i cut up and put in adds up to a lot.
Just had 2 slices of banana bread FFS feel guilty as now but been sitting there a while didnt want it to go off.
Think I need to get one of thses portion plates, I really want to know exactly how much i can put on my plate.

Another option is to make what you normally would...and then cut it in half. That way you get two meals out of it and also help your portion control.

Honestly though, you'll have to get over the whole eating food just coz you don't want it to go off. I get it, I've done it...but it's not healthy. It's those little justifications that seem insignificant at the time, but form habits that turn into daily choices which lead to poor health.

It was a mates 30th last night, so we went to the pub after work for dinner and a couple of beers...I've never been more full in my life! I felt horrible when I got back to my room. However, I knew that was coming yesterday, so only had my shakes and salad during the day. I'll only have my shakes and salad today too, so it'll balance out after a day or two.

Myfitnesspal is a great idea too, helps you form good habits and see how much (or how little, depending on what you're eating) you can actually eat and still lose weight. I was using it successfully once and losing around 1kg a week and still having an ice cream every night after dinner. It's all about calories in vs. calories out.
Old 20-10-2015, 10:11 AM   #60
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:

I know its hard damo being in the same kind of predicament. I look at it as survival at the moment in that how much do I actually NEED to eat to keep functioning instead of how much do I WANT to eat to keep going.

I find it easier for myself that I have square plates. Sounds stupid but it is much easier to divide a square plate into corners than a circle into quarters. So at the moment my goal for dinner is to split my plate into 4 smaller squares, fill half with either salad or vegies and the other half with a meat.

The other thing I use to keep portion sizing down is how many steaks can I reasonably get out of one large piece? So for example if I get a 500gm rump steak I will cut it down into 3 pieces. I'll also buy two chicken breasts and split them in half so that's four meals worth of meat. 500gm of beef mince is enough for 3 serves of pasta. Thinking along those lines you will not only beat the portion component of your daily intake but your wallet will also look better as well.