Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-01-2016, 08:43 PM   #31
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Default Re: Victoria Police Chief caught speeding

Quote:
Originally Posted by XG_Falcon View Post
At the end of the day, he is human and therefore capable of error.

It's not as if he was traveling at more than 10% over the limit. He also made no excuses for himself (besides lack of attention) and acknowledged that he should be held to a higher standard.

I understand the significance of this but I don't think he has acted in a particularly hypocritical fashion.
After the rant you posted in my thread recently So tis only when someone travels at more than 10% over the legal limit and isnt a policeman that the world ends.Hypocritical no not a chance,unbelievable.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:54 PM   #32
SYZ
Beaut Ute

Yeah... great example of "do as I say, not as I do" by two of Victoria's top police officers. Ken Lay lost three demerit points for doing 80km/h in a 70km/h zone when he was—ironically—our top road traffic cop a few years ago.

Considering their censorious attitudes when talking about other people speeding, cops such as Graham Ashton and Ken Lay are the ultimate hypocrites.

Paying the same fine as an ordinary driver was only a painless slap on the wrist to these blokes. Their driver's licenses should have been suspended for 12 months as an additional penalty above the norm. Ashton's salary is circa $200K pa, so the $190 fine is chickenfeed. Compare the financial impact with that of an apprentice carpenter on $25K pa; it's half a week's pay.

SYZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-01-2016, 08:58 PM   #33
Kingsley
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYZ View Post
Yeah... great example of "do as I say, not as I do" by two of Victoria's top police officers. Ken Lay lost three demerit points for doing 80km/h in a 70km/h zone when he was—ironically—our top road traffic cop a few years ago.

Considering their censorious attitudes when talking about other people speeding, cops such as Graham Ashton and Ken Lay are the ultimate hypocrites.

Paying the same fine as an ordinary driver was only a painless slap on the wrist to these blokes. Their driver's licenses should have been suspended for 12 months as an additional penalty above the norm. Ashton's salary is circa $200K pa, so the $190 fine is chickenfeed. Compare the financial impact with that of an apprentice carpenter on $25K pa; it's half a week's pay.

Probably claim the fine as a work expence.
Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-01-2016, 09:26 PM   #34
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

How is the fine any different to these blokes??

They still pay the same money as every other driver, they still lose the same points as any other driver.

So you are saying am apprentice carpenter should pay the fine yet a solicitor or person that earns more money should have their license suspended for 12 months, only because they have a better job or work harder to earn more money

Apprentice carpenter still controls the accelerator in his car, so why should't his license be suspended??

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-01-2016, 09:52 PM   #35
Itsme
Experienced Member

Proves the point our police commissioner & others are hypocrites, sprouting safety & zero tolerance in media campaigns yet they get busted doing the same.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-01-2016, 10:02 PM   #36
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:

No his fine penalties should remain the same as rest of us but then again his role as Police Commissioner should be re accessed as he has obviously failed in his position to the public expectations.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:03 PM   #37
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
It makes no sense that someone like Mark Webber or a Truckie with 20 years experience is only allowed to travel at the same speed limit as learner driver.
I’ve seen that Webber character driving around and around on the Tele and more than a few times he’s come unstuck at his preferred speed.

Aussies taking their poor driving skills overseas.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2016, 10:08 PM   #38
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post

No his fine penalties should remain the same as rest of us but then again his role as Police Commissioner should be re accessed as he has obviously failed in his position to the public expectations.
Ok, so next time you get a fine, your job should be at risk?

Interesting concept

So you get a fine and just pay it and move on, he gets a fine, gets roasted in the media, gets roasted on internet forums and people are now looking at taking his job, seems fair

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 09-01-2016, 10:15 PM   #39
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

If you were a copper preeching about how speed kills then yes
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 09-01-2016, 10:16 PM   #40
Blue Roo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
Proves the point our police commissioner & others are hypocrites, sprouting safety & zero tolerance in media campaigns yet they get busted doing the same.
Yep! And this is called Karma.
Blue Roo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2016, 10:20 PM   #41
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

A bit of a tough crowd tonight.

I know he got it wrong and he’s in a position of authority but it’s not like he was driving dangerously or was drunk and high on ice so give him a bit of a break.

It’s easy for your speed to fluctuate up and down while driving so I think most of us would like to be treated with a little less criticism if we were only just 8 kays over and he deserves the same.

Any way who knows how he really feels about speed limits as he’d be out on his bum if he didn’t tow the Government line.

He’s no different to many public figures in industry, sport and entertainment where they have a responsibility to carry out their roles as instructed.
5 users like this post:
Old 09-01-2016, 10:25 PM   #42
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

Nahhh

**** him

Should sack him, then string him up and skin him alive
Then rub about ten kilo of salt on him

MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-01-2016, 10:33 PM   #43
SYZ
Beaut Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
So you are saying an apprentice carpenter should pay the fine yet a solicitor or person that earns more money should have their license suspended for 12 months, only because they have a better job or work harder to earn more money...
Not at all. What I am saying is that Lay and Ashton will each just laugh off the fine—considering their large annual incomes. I'd prefer to see a progressive penalty system operating in Australia similar to that in Germany, Finland, and Switzerland. In those countries, speeding fines are worked out using a formula based on the income of the motorists and the severity of the speed. If some poor 18-year-old kid is gonna be fined $190 then Lay and Ashton would be fined (say) $1,900 under this system. A lot fairer, and sends a much stronger message not to break speed limits.

Incidentally, if you really think a solicitor works "harder" than a chippy, then I can only presume you've never worked on a building site during summer or in the middle of winter.
SYZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2016, 10:39 PM   #44
Tezza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Interesting concept

So you get a fine and just pay it and move on, he gets a fine, gets roasted in the media, gets roasted on internet forums and people are now looking at taking his job, seems fair
Absolutely....! Plenty of people's jobs can be at risk if they break the law and get a fine. Just ask anyone with a company car or someone who drives for a living (eg truck driver, bus driver, taxi driver etc...)

Do you think if the CEO of Woolworths got caught on camera stealing a few Mars bars from a Woolworths supermarket, he should be exempt from losing his job, or do you think he should be held to a higher account because he is the guy who is supposed to be leading by example and doing the right thing for all the company employees and general public?

The chief of police who is on tv everyday telling the generally public that speed kills needs to live by his own words. It's his job after all, and how can he (or his peers) expect the general public to listen when he can't even lead by example.....?

Makes a mockery of the message no matter how minor it may seem.
Tezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2016, 10:43 PM   #45
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A higher level of accountability for people on public positions is nothing new. NSW Premier lost his job / career over a bottle of wine, or more precisely not the wine itself, but simply declaring he received it.

A Police Chief breaks the law no matter how benign, he should step aside at the very minimum.

Sorry that's the way it is if that's the position you hold.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 09-01-2016, 10:49 PM   #46
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Incidentally, if you really think a solicitor works "harder" than a chippy, then I can only presume you've never worked on a building site during summer or in the middle of winter.
I’ve know two fellows that went to University and had major career changes after many years in blue collar jobs and I still smile when I remember them talking about how exhausting it now was for them having to constantly think hard all day.

There are two kinds of fatigue, physical and mental.

And that doesn’t even touch on areas like high level stress in some jobs and many other factors that can make work a tough environment.

When I was young I worked as an Engineer surveying, designing and supervising construction of roads out in the searing heat of far north west NSW, I know what both are like.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:50 PM   #47
Blue Roo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Top Story on ACA.
HEADLINE - Victoria's Top Cop. Police Chief and Commissioner - Clancy Wigham. Was caught HOONING on the Peninsula Freeway south east of Melbourne. The HOON in Question was travelling an incredible 108kph in a 100 zone. How could he survived this incredible but HIGHLY DANGEROUS SPEED.
Blue Roo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2016, 11:04 PM   #48
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its quite simple.
Road safety experts was us to be constantly distracted by checking the speedo and cause an accident within the speed limits.
It will then give them reasons to further drop the limits, therefore increasing revenue....

ChaaChing!
joolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2016, 11:19 PM   #49
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When he pays the fine, who gets the money?
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2016, 11:28 PM   #50
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Poor bloke, if only he was driving a car with heads up display---- no fine. probably in an older car like FGX

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2016, 11:35 PM   #51
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
A bit of a tough crowd tonight.

I know he got it wrong and he’s in a position of authority but it’s not like he was driving dangerously or was drunk and high on ice so give him a bit of a break.

It’s easy for your speed to fluctuate up and down while driving so I think most of us would like to be treated with a little less criticism if we were only just 8 kays over and he deserves the same.

Any way who knows how he really feels about speed limits as he’d be out on his bum if he didn’t tow the Government line.

He’s no different to many public figures in industry, sport and entertainment where they have a responsibility to carry out their roles as instructed.
When you are in the Public eye holding a high position of responsibility then you better be prepared to be squeaky clean.

Yea many of public figures have been shot down by their own stupid actions & he is no different.

Cheers.
Old 09-01-2016, 11:41 PM   #52
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:

Interesting concept

That is the price you pay for being a high profile figure in the public eye, his organization sets the standards, he should lead by example.
Other people have fallen on their own swords, why should he be different?
6 users like this post:
Old 10-01-2016, 12:26 AM   #53
XG_Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98TLS View Post
After the rant you posted in my thread recently So tis only when someone travels at more than 10% over the legal limit and isnt a policeman that the world ends.Hypocritical no not a chance,unbelievable.
Which thread?

A link would be handy because I have no idea what you're talking about.

Edit: Oh, now I remember. You're that bloke that brags about speeding every holiday season and abuses the police officer when you're caught.

No soup for you.
XG_Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 10-01-2016, 06:26 AM   #54
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
A higher level of accountability for people on public positions is nothing new. NSW Premier lost his job / career over a bottle of wine, or more precisely not the wine itself, but simply declaring he received it.

A Police Chief breaks the law no matter how benign, he should step aside at the very minimum.

Sorry that's the way it is if that's the position you hold.
Wrong

O'Farrell lost his job because he consistently denied ever receiving the bottle of wine then the gifter produced a thank you card from him.
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2016, 07:28 AM   #55
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx000 View Post
Wrong

O'Farrell lost his job because he consistently denied ever receiving the bottle of wine then the gifter produced a thank you card from him.
Exaggeration mate, he was asked about it in icac and did not recall receiving it. No constant denial.

If I start a development company and then send the premiere a gift, me being a nobody at the time he will likely not remember receiving a gift from Stefan when asked about it 3 years later. He has no control on who sends him stuff and probably gets alot of gifts. So its a high price to pay for a non issue.

The copper is driving, he is in control purposely endangering the lives of the general public by speeding.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2016, 07:33 AM   #56
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

He consistently denied it well after the event in interviews too
Don't you remember them?
A person in office like a state premier will have staff who keep a gift register of such things
Ultimately he lied to the ICAC and can face prison time for that. Hardly a minor thing
Old 10-01-2016, 08:14 AM   #57
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We can all see it was dung. Sucked in for getting done, welcome to a system that favours fostering stupidity and reinforcement of of a propaganda machine that makes big bucks.
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-01-2016, 08:32 AM   #58
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

A person in his position should lead by example, if he can't abide by the laws that his workforce enforces, then how can they expect us too.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-01-2016, 11:10 AM   #59
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not at all. What I am saying is that Lay and Ashton will each just laugh off the fine—considering their large annual incomes. I'd prefer to see a progressive penalty system operating in Australia similar to that in Germany, Finland, and Switzerland. In those countries, speeding fines are worked out using a formula based on the income of the motorists and the severity of the speed. If some poor 18-year-old kid is gonna be fined $190 then Lay and Ashton would be fined (say) $1,900 under this system. A lot fairer, and sends a much stronger message not to break speed limits.

Would seem like a fair system if it could be implemented.

I Started working on Construction sites when I was 15, through to about 39, why?? Because I was too lazy to go to university, and I wanted money now.

Working harder does not necessarily involve physically harder, try going to university doing a law degree sitting up studying and doing assignments till 3am for years on end while delivering pizzas part time to pay for everything and tell me these guys don't work hard to be in the position they are in.

Most persons become chippies, plumbers, floor sweepers, shelf stackers, burger flippers, as it is easy and they are not willing to do the hard yards to become a dentist, barrister, judge, business executive, etc etc

I have done both(gone to uni at 39, not become a solicitor/dentist etc unfortunately), and trust me just because you are not getting your hands dirty does not mean you are not working hard.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Last edited by XB GS 351 Coupe; 10-01-2016 at 11:16 AM.
2 users like this post:
Old 10-01-2016, 11:11 AM   #60
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So if he received a parking ticket for overstaying a meter would that be sufficient grounds for him to step aside?