Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 09-08-2016, 08:26 PM   #31
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Facebook censorship

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlane50 View Post
Yeah, that's exactly what goes on.
???
Yeah mate, it does. Unless you're on a pc. All my non-iphones have.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2016, 11:24 AM   #32
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises View Post
Kevin 07 said that as well. I am from the government and I am hear to help.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2016, 05:58 PM   #33
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack91 View Post
Just open your internet program and go to Facebook website. From memory though you still get bugged to get messenger. If I didn't have to have it for work (group chat) I wouldn't either. Total bull****.
Wait.

So if you refuse to use bookface you lose your job?
What about using Line or WhatsApp? At least they are encrypted.

There is no bloody way in hell I would install bookface on anything...ever!

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-08-2016, 06:37 PM   #34
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by revcore View Post
I questioned them about their so called "Need" for access to the camera on your phone, The mic, Your list of contacts etc. when having to download messenger just to access your messages. I wasn't getting a reply so I turned up the heat some more then out of nowhere copped a ban for apparent bad language when the worst of the language was "Bloody".
Censorship or failing to answer a legitimate question?
Messenger needs to ask permission like other apps to use your phone features

Most apps do

So video conferencing, needs the camera and Mic

Contacts, can be used to sync ya contacts to your facebook contacts. Can disable this later.

Etc etc etc

Sent via HTC Velocity + [HolicsROM v1.3] [SWEEP2WAKE]
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2016, 06:56 PM   #35
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent write ups on AU technical issues. 
Default Facebook censorship

Quote:
I questioned them about their so called "Need" for access to the camera on your phone, The mic, Your list of contacts etc. when having to download messenger just to access your messages. I wasn't getting a reply so I turned up the heat some more then out of nowhere copped a ban for apparent bad language when the worst of the language was "Bloody".

Ok, I'm going to swim against the current here.

You contact a massive organisation who's services you use FOR FREE, with the context of the enquiry being that you believe they are they are out to invade your privacy and demand that they explain themselves. And when you don't get a response (presumably not grasping that they can't possibly respond to individual enquiries of their 1.71 billion active users), you abuse them and then get upset when take the time to exercise their right to ban you. The right you accepted to give them when you signed up to their free service. Its not a bloody community service, it's their sandpit, you're a guest and you follow their rules. Simple.

Now, the specifics of this enquiry are that you have swallowed the notion that they want to spy on you and that's why they have configured their messenger app to access your camera, microphone and contacts by default.

You can make phone and video calls from their Messenger app. Why wouldn't they want these features to work, by default? Why consider this as a sinister plot, Isn't it a logical approach?

Also, the 'need' that you have mockingly quoted isn't a need at all. It took me 30 seconds to find the privacy settings for the app, wouldn't your energy be better spent in understanding the nature of the service and device that you are using than harassing the service providers?

The worst part of Facebook isn't Facebook, it's the user base who seems to adore spreading bull**** doomsday messages about everything when the only thing they really need to fear is the scale of their own ignorance.

Flame away
TE2 #116
Build/Maintenance thread here.
www.fte.ford.com.au lives! 2001 2002
Add a T-series to the Registry HERE

Last edited by Silver'; 10-08-2016 at 07:14 PM.
Silver' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2016, 02:10 PM   #36
creative
I am Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver' View Post
..... STUFF.....
This.

Permissions are needed for the app to do things. simple as that.

Wanna upload that selfie? It needs the camera and access to the sdcard to store that image.
Want to live stream or video call? it needs the camera and mic to do it.
needs access to the simcard... how else do you get your notifications without wifi?

Just go through all your apps. they all need permissions to do things, its a simple as that. No point 'turning the heat up' by whinging to facebook when you can easily control what the app does these days. Just expect less functions when using the app.
Rebuilt Boss260 with #Kellogs 1500hp forged and balanced crank#Manley forged flattop pistons with a 9.5/1cr#4340 forged h-beam rods with arp bolts#Clevit performance rod and main bearings#full ARP headstud kit#total seal rings#Mantic twin plate development clutch and lightened flywheel#Mellings uprated oil pump#Mainforce Performance Supercharger kit#AU motorsport 345mm big brake kit.

Now producing 369.7rwkw/496rwhp@6000 and 515ft/lb torque @ 11 psi.
Now sat on an engine stand going nowhere
creative is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2016, 10:50 AM   #37
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
These bans are done without human interaction. The system will review the content and decide to ban or not, it basically looks for keywords and if it finds them it bans you. It's as simple as that, no censorship just a program looking for bad language.

But in order for the system to pick this up, somone must of hit the report button. So if you posted on your wall one of your friends have reported you to Facebook.

As people above have said you have full control on what the app can and can't use.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2016, 08:29 AM   #38
LTDHO
The one and only

I have never been banned. Facebook is a great tool for keeping in touch with family and friends. If you are not on it hen you are missing out on a lot.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2016, 11:14 AM   #39
monzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO View Post
I have never been banned. Facebook is a great tool for keeping in touch with family and friends. If you are not on it hen you are missing out on a lot.
I'am not on facebook. Don't feel I'am missing out on anything. How did we ever survive before smartphones and facebook?
Old 18-08-2016, 11:18 AM   #40
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent write ups on AU technical issues. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by monzie View Post
I'am not on facebook. Don't feel I'am missing out on anything. How did we ever survive before smartphones and facebook?
The same could be said of electricity, running water, weather forecasting, sliced bread. Any number of things that, once adopted, you'd think that anyone who warned you against them was downright odd.
TE2 #116
2 users like this post:
Old 18-08-2016, 11:51 AM   #41
dane75

I had my original account shutdown without warning due to someone reporting my old profile pic... admittedly it was not a good pic to try and use.

My annoyance is how they seem to favour all the namby pamby groups out there. An anti duck hunting page can abuse people, say they wish they were dead, call peoples work to try and get them fired (they did that to me) and facebook don't find it in violation of their guidelines. Yet if you run a facebook page promoting firearms they are all too happy to shut it down even when people are respectful on there. They are not consistent or fair with their decisions.

I use it but I don't completely agree with all of their policies, just gotta be careful what you do on there really.
dane75 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-08-2016, 12:12 PM   #42
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO View Post

ford71V8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2016, 12:40 PM   #43
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Once you're on Facebook - you are OWNED!

Your comments, thoughts, idea's they belong to Facebook.

So the next time any of you mention your new cure for cancer, or making the internal combustion engine more efficient, Facebook owns the idea.

This is where the true "wealth" of Facebook lies.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2016, 12:42 PM   #44
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post

So the next time any of you mention your new cure for cancer, or making the internal combustion engine more efficient, Facebook owns the idea.

What a crock of ****.
TE2 #116
2 users like this post:
Old 18-08-2016, 01:10 PM   #45
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

A crock is it ? here is an extract from the Facebook T&C's...

you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with Facebook (IP License)
Old 18-08-2016, 01:26 PM   #46
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Thank you Silver'

I came here to post a similar reply to your explanation above.

Also, if Facebook want to spy on my through the messenger app, they can go for it. Hope they like looking at a pantsless man watching old Guns and Roses film clips on YouTube all day long....

Sheesh.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-08-2016, 04:27 PM   #47
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dane75 View Post
I had my original account shutdown without warning due to someone reporting my old profile pic... admittedly it was not a good pic to try and use.

My annoyance is how they seem to favour all the namby pamby groups out there. An anti duck hunting page can abuse people, say they wish they were dead, call peoples work to try and get them fired (they did that to me) and facebook don't find it in violation of their guidelines. Yet if you run a facebook page promoting firearms they are all too happy to shut it down even when people are respectful on there. They are not consistent or fair with their decisions.

I use it but I don't completely agree with all of their policies, just gotta be careful what you do on there really.
Yes all the namby pamby is full on nowadays, you can't even say what gender you are for fear of upsetting some ones feelings.

A 50 yo mate down the road that is on mugbook, I go have a few drinks with him and he starts with all this trying to show me all the mugbook trash and his arguments with others on it, I just say put it away I have no interest in wasting my time with such childish rubbish and I am going home if you drag it out, because I am not going to sit drinking with someone who's face is constantly looking at the rubbish, it's as if he is possessed, I can't even talk to him when he starts with it, he is so rapped up in it.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2016, 06:12 PM   #48
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
A crock is it ? here is an extract from the Facebook T&C's...

you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with Facebook (IP License)
Firstly, if you found a cure for cancer, you would have to be rather stupid to post it on Facebook. In fact, you shouldn't be talking to anyone about your invention until you have a patent application going, because doing so can affect the patentability of the invention. Once you tell one person, it spreads like wildfire and before you know it, it becomes part of the prior art and you will no longer be able to patent it.

Secondly, displaying your photos and comments is prima facie an infringement of copyright (in particular, the right to communicate to the public). That's why it needs the IP licence in order for the platform to function.

If you still have a problem with that, then maybe you should just stop using Facebook.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-08-2016, 09:11 AM   #49
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by monzie View Post
You don't know what your are missing, I mean that literally too.

Haters can hate it but, I will not dispute that it is not 100% fault free and nothing in life is, but it is a brilliant communication tool.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2016, 12:51 PM   #50
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

I love how some people wear not being of FB as a badge of honour.

So I like to keep up to date with what my favourite race car teams and drivers are doing. not to mention all the dank memes that are shared as well.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 19-08-2016, 03:14 PM   #51
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Hence why you don't post things you're not ok with the world seeing.

Not sure if your comment here is sarcasm or not, but lets assume not. Do you honestly think someone is going to post information on a new innovative idea, invention or cure to cancer? Like detailed steps?? If you do you kinda deserve to have your idea stolen.

And if you post "Yay, cured cancer today" what exactly are they "owning"?
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2016, 03:23 PM   #52
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty View Post
I love how some people wear not being of FB as a badge of honour.

So I like to keep up to date with what my favourite race car teams and drivers are doing. not to mention all the dank memes that are shared as well.
My morning at work

Old 19-08-2016, 06:07 PM   #53
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
Hence why you don't post things you're not ok with the world seeing.

Not sure if your comment here is sarcasm or not, but lets assume not. Do you honestly think someone is going to post information on a new innovative idea, invention or cure to cancer? Like detailed steps?? If you do you kinda deserve to have your idea stolen.

And if you post "Yay, cured cancer today" what exactly are they "owning"?
I don't profess to know how people think, nor can I predict their behavior, nor do I have any control over what they post.

I can however read the Facebook T&C's and form an option that people using Facebook are in effect "owned" by Facebook. Now some people may realize this, others may not, some may care, some will not care.

It is your choice if you want to use Facebook or not, I just find it bizarre that people want to argue the T&C's, they seem fairly clear that Facebook has the IP over everything that people put up on Facebook.
Old 19-08-2016, 06:25 PM   #54
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

They own the content.

I don't see how that equates to owning the person?
TE2 #116
Old 19-08-2016, 06:43 PM   #55
barrys123
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Is that much different to this Forum?

This is one of the most policed forums, but it is also one of the most informative.

Gotta tow the line if you want to be part of it...
It is also one of the best forums.
barrys123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-08-2016, 07:17 PM   #56
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver' View Post
They own the content.

I don't see how that equates to owning the person?
Well you seem to have come some way from it being a load of crock , keep reading the T&C's, research IP law and what it means, then determine what limits Facebook place on IP (hint they have no limit) and you may then realize that Facebook users are in effect owned.
Old 19-08-2016, 08:01 PM   #57
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

No, no, I'm just trying to be polite. I still think your an alarmist dickead.
TE2 #116
4 users like this post:
Old 19-08-2016, 08:01 PM   #58
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
II can however read the Facebook T&C's and form an option that people using Facebook are in effect "owned" by Facebook.
Wrong. Did you not read the first sentence of clause 2?

Quote:
You own all of the content and information you post on Facebook
Facebook do not own the content. You do. But you have to give them the IP licence in order for Facebook to work, as I have already explained.

I don't mean to brag, but I practise in IP law. Part of my day job includes actually drafting these Ts and Cs, so I think I know what I'm talking about!
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 19-08-2016, 08:08 PM   #59
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

The irony here is that it's usually Facebook where this kind of misinformation flourishes lol!
TE2 #116
3 users like this post:
Old 19-08-2016, 10:47 PM   #60
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I don't profess to know how people think, nor can I predict their behavior, nor do I have any control over what they post.

I can however read the Facebook T&C's and form an option that people using Facebook are in effect "owned" by Facebook. Now some people may realize this, others may not, some may care, some will not care.

It is your choice if you want to use Facebook or not, I just find it bizarre that people want to argue the T&C's, they seem fairly clear that Facebook has the IP over everything that people put up on Facebook.
Link even one part of the T&C's that says they own you, or I call total BS on anything you post in this thread. Don't just say "you read it yourself, its in there" because no, its not, you back up YOUR statement it's not up to others to prove you wrong.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post