Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-11-2005, 10:40 PM   #31
wrx365
FPV GT 0169

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickman
I've tried BP ult & have found no difference to Shell's Optimax Mobils Syn or Uniteds Boost 98 on running or performance in A VCT pwrd AU.
But my nephew has a 2000 WRX that has had a lot of engine mods & when his filled up with BP ultimate the car losses performance & will only run to its best on Mobils synegy or Shells optimax. Speaking to him his still not sure about using ethernol in his car even at 100 Octane
Even though all the high octane fuels are rated 98RON, each are refined differently. Shell OPtimax and Vortex 98 both are refined using aromatic compounds to increase their Octane rating, whilst BP Ultimate used a different method to achieve their 98 Octane rating. The advantage for BP it produces a much cleaner fuel, compliant with new Euro III emission laws, however it is a lesser denser fuel than Optimax, Vortex 98 and Mobil Synergy 98. And as we know the denser the fuel the more power it can help produce.

In standard tuned cars you should notice little or marginal difference between the 98 Octane fuels. There are come cars have with smart ECUs like the WRX that can adjust settings depending on the fuel being used.

However with modified cars you should continue to use the same density type fuel the car was tuned in. It sounds like with your nephews car it was tuned with Optimax and BP Ultimate.
Old 30-11-2005, 10:48 PM   #32
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

i swear today, filling up i read.. DO NOT USE IN AIRCRAFT.. i looked twice, and i SWEAR thats what i read... WTF??
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2005, 06:00 PM   #33
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

I still laugh when they use Dick Johnson to try and push this stuff. He is so independent from shell!!!
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2005, 08:33 PM   #34
ricthewheelie
Frantic Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT595
God only knows the reasoning behind the no optimax policy in WA - BP must have friends in high places......
It to do with the additive in fuels over East called MTBE which can poison ground water supplies which makes up about 40% of our drinking water
Old 01-12-2005, 10:03 PM   #35
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

The E10 blends (10% Ethanol) have been supported for use by all four of the major players in this country - Ford, Holden, Mitsubishi and Toyota for vehicles manufactured after 1986. A small increase in actual consumption is likely given the fuel is not as dense and has a lower calorific value.

CO emmisions are reduced by 32% and HC by 12% and the fuel is considered to be greenhouse neutral.

The E5 blends like Boost 98 are probably likely to gain better initial acceptance at the consumer level especially as there is a price discount to "normal" 98 octane fuel.

The concerns with blends above 10 % relate primarily to the water absorption properties of Ethanol which is why it is not recommended for use in marine applications - aircraft are a similar issue with the main concern being seperation of water and fuel within the tank and difficulty in maintaining adequate mixtures at altitude.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2005, 09:13 PM   #36
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Ive had some in my tank since yesterday and my dte is dismal.I think this fuel supports performance but not mileage.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2005, 09:33 PM   #37
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
Ive had some in my tank since yesterday and my dte is dismal.I think this fuel supports performance but not mileage.
I have run 2 tank fulls this week, throttle response is better imo but it definately burns faster.
I did Sydney to Newcastle and running around there for the day and back to Syd last night.
DTE was at least 100k's less than 98octane. I don't bother about how many litres otherwise I wouldn't own a fuel drinker ! :sm_headba
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post