Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 19-12-2006, 01:51 AM   #31
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

best I have managed was 780km from 87L of LPG .... with a stuffed fuel gauge ... so I was checking the gauges under the back of the ute every so often to make sure I wasn't getting too low ... would have cracked 800 easily ... but didn't want to risk it ... plus the next fuel station was quite a way down the road.

Hence my reason for refuelling then.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2006, 12:28 PM   #32
fipcee
not so stock

A few weeks ago I went for a drive and I also couldn't believe my DTE, it read over 900 kms, that inculdes highway and mountain driving. Before the mods were done I would struggle to get near 800kms on the highway, still average around the city with approx 450kms out of the tanks, though I am at times a bit hard with the right foot.
Liquid silver AUIII XR6, BA scuff plates with Tickford inserts, proudly displaying AU falcon.com stickers, lowered, K&N panel filter with wide mouth snorkle, 2 1/2 exhaust and hi flo cat, Illusion mags, slotted and drilled rotors.
Next mods: extractors
fipcee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2006, 05:21 PM   #33
SVR73
Mr Polish

Default that's not a record, this is a record

1175's my record, from gawler SA to cobar Northern NSW on one tank.
That was in the forte and before it got cammed/zorst

Got 1000 at least for every SA - QLD trip I did in 2002
Old 19-12-2006, 09:57 PM   #34
stiddy
Banned

935km here, castle hill (sydney) to surfers paradise (queensland) on 1 tank.
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2006, 11:12 PM   #35
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll be lucky to get half that. But the DTE is a sneaky fella which you can't always trust - I ran out of petrol when I was supposed to have 65km left
XR8-260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2006, 11:46 AM   #36
Damien
Behind The Mixing Desk

This is great news for my first road trip in the AUII Fairmont. But the question is (for everybody in the 900 club) how much weight were you carring? We're about to travel from the Hunter Valley down to Adelaide via Dubbo, Cobar, Broken Hill and Port Augusta (staying up there for a couple of days to see some family before heading down to the city to see more family) and will probably be carrying a couple of suitcases, a Three-Way Chescold Fridge/Freezer and the usual road trip supplies for the missus and myself. I also can't imagine the A/C not running for most of the trip.

So for those with record breaking numbers for road trips, how much weight were you carrying? And if you were carrying as much weight as I'm about to, how much further do you think you would have travelled without it?
Old 20-12-2006, 11:50 AM   #37
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Holy ****.

Going off that, I should be able to get 1500-1600km range out of the ute...
Old 20-12-2006, 02:55 PM   #38
SVR73
Mr Polish

In my case, two people at around 155 kg's plus two suitcases full of clothing plus nibbles
Maybe 200 kg. I pumped up the tyres to 39 psi due to the extra weight

Oh and the forte didn't have cruise control either.
Old 20-12-2006, 06:22 PM   #39
needaXYGT
AU II XR8

my dads AU has never reached 700!
needaXYGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2006, 10:19 PM   #40
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

A few years ago (in my most knowledgeable tone) I advised my brother that he must have been mistaken when he reckoned his SII would consistently get 900+ to a tank.

He advised me (in his most patronising tone) that on a trip, at somewhere around the legal speed limit, he never failed to get 900+.

I've since advised him (in my most apologetic tone) that he was right ;)
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2006, 10:38 PM   #41
Andy XR8
AU3 Winged Windsor

i've got 680 out of my xr
Andy XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2006, 11:52 AM   #42
janek
Ripping it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien

So for those with record breaking numbers for road trips, how much weight were you carrying? And if you were carrying as much weight as I'm about to, how much further do you think you would have travelled without it?
In the 'mont you should expect around 800 with 2 ppl and baggage. deduct about 50 per person extra with luggage. If youre smart about how you use the gas (cruise down hill a little quicker, use minimal gas uphill) you can easily push it to 900. Moral of the story is dont go beyond your comfort zone.
janek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2006, 08:09 AM   #43
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Also ... when there's double demerit points in force ... fuel economy gets even better as well .... well ... that's what I found this morning on the way to work (yeah i am working Xmas Day ... lucky me).
Old 25-12-2006, 09:59 AM   #44
sbcb
BA Xr8

Just did a trip with wife, bubs, and boot full of luggage - 830km on the trip screen - its an AU1 Fairmont Ghia VCT running 91octane. Used to have a AU1 futura that could hit over 900kms. They love the open road, even my old AU2 200kw XR8 could hit 650km on a tank.
sbcb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2006, 11:53 AM   #45
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

I can believe this. I've seen 800+, occassionally over 900 when doing trips between Syd and Melbourne. I've filled up on the outskirts of Melbourne, and made it to Marulan north of Goulburn without stopping, and still had fuel in the tank. Conversely, I've filled up in Penrith and made it to Glenrowan without having to stop, and those trips are 700kms give or take a bunch of kays - mine is a manual though, bit more overdrive than the autos? I'm sure the economy could be improved by slowing down 5-10kph too, but I can't do that. Put her in fifth, set the cruise and enjoy the ride...
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2006, 06:26 PM   #46
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathXR
I can believe this. I've seen 800+, occassionally over 900 when doing trips between Syd and Melbourne. I've filled up on the outskirts of Melbourne, and made it to Marulan north of Goulburn without stopping, and still had fuel in the tank. Conversely, I've filled up in Penrith and made it to Glenrowan without having to stop, and those trips are 700kms give or take a bunch of kays - mine is a manual though, bit more overdrive than the autos? I'm sure the economy could be improved by slowing down 5-10kph too, but I can't do that. Put her in fifth, set the cruise and enjoy the ride...
With the automatics, it's actually not too much different. Fill up at Campbelltown and get to Glenrowan with 1/4 still in the tank.
Old 26-12-2006, 01:01 AM   #47
RspecAU
BA GT-P Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRDGAL_AU6
Nope. Mine shows 999 everytime I use Boost 98 and some people here can vouch for it as they've seen it with their own eyes. Lol but when I posted this up a while back, the first opinion was that there was something wrong.

Well there you have it. Yet another person that shows the AU can actually hit the 900 mark. I'll have to take the camera out on my next Boost98 fill and take a picture.

Krissy.
This i have seen for my own eyes, even took a pic of it on Krissy's phone, you'll have to wait till she puts the pic up.
ON MAXXIS MAV1's 275/45/17 13.27 @ 106mph
RspecAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2006, 02:17 AM   #48
620hp_gt

From my house to Adelaide is around 250km's each way. highway driving.

It costs around $30 return trip.AU2 wagon.(550-600 km's by the time you get home).

Factory LPG, no petrol.

We went from Port Pirie to Heathcotte and back, towing my GT on car trailer, and wagon fully loaded with camping gear and tools.$220 total cost..

It will pull around 900km's from a tank for $45 LPg with No trailer.

VERY cheap to run, and still has plenty of power.

Recommend these factory LPG cars, No trouble except one broken Valve spring. now done 247,000 km's.
620hp_gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2006, 02:49 AM   #49
Lightning Strike GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep I filled mine up in the BP in Kallangur at 1am in winter and drove to Sydney via the Pacific and I had to stop at the servo at the round about at at Hexam where the New England and the Pacific start from that was about 800 kms in an AU XR8 manual with 2 people and luggage with the cruise control on at 100kmh most of the way :
And an 2019 MD Mondeo Trend Wagon in Platinum White
Lightning Strike GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2006, 03:19 PM   #50
Bundy
All Ford Club Life Member
Donating Member3

Sounds to me that the old Au is starting to really come into its own now the engines have had a chance to bed in and loosen up!!!
Before the engine rebuild and mods to my XR8 ute I was the same hwy running any where between 780-820km from a 80l tank. A/C on or off, mostly on cruise 100-110k
Not only did I get better ecomony than my old EL XR6, I've got a nice note to boot too.

Worked AU XR8 Ute - Toy

Std FG XR6T Ute - Daily

Supercharged BA 6 Ute - Wife's daily

351W F150 93 XLT 4x4 Supercab
Bundy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2006, 09:19 PM   #51
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

I just managed 790km from 92L of LPG ... which is pretty decent from a vehicle with 200,000km on it ... was a decent night time highway run for work (emergency night delivery) ... give it a little bit in a few areas ... but mainly cruising around 100/110km/h.

Not bad for the old work ute ... oh this was with about 250kg payload in the back as well.
Old 29-12-2006, 11:54 PM   #52
crusher
Dirty ute club member

Highest I have seen my ute DTE say is 700. I only did about 350kms that day so Im sure with more cruising on 110 it may have gone up some more. I was constantly checking it after reading this thread to see how well she would do with a bit of highway driving.

Did alot better than my mates hilux. My petrol needle hadnt moved and hed used about a qtr of a tank of deisel lol.
crusher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2007, 08:40 PM   #53
Hords
Treasure your balls?

This thread had got me intrigued. I usually always leave the trip computer on lt/100km. New Years eve I filled her before heading to work (airport). Reset both the trip computer and trip meter. DTE after 5Km on the freeway was reading 785. After work I drove to Heywood. Stopped for a smoke just before Ballarat and DTE was 690ish with 140 odd Kms already driven. After I got back in the car the DTE had risen to 805. 805 + 140 seemed doubtful for a tankfull. The trip computer was also reading 9.2lt/100Km but this includes a 400m elevation gain. The DTE continued to rise heading towards Ararat. It peaked at 879 before starting to decline. At this stage I had 182 on the trip meter. This is a combined total of 1061 (???). By the time I arrived at Heywood the ave fuel dropped to 8.0lt/100Km. I returned home this morning, my ave fuel had increased to 8.3. All this was done with cruise set at 100 (98 on GPS). End result at refuel was 724.4Kms for 56Lts = 7.74lt/100Km. At this rate I would have got ~880Km until the car ran dry. So 900 is out of my range. I'm still pleased with the results I got, but then I usually don't drive so conservatively.

Edit: Forgot to mention I run BP Ultimate 98
Rob

Last edited by hords; 02-01-2007 at 09:31 PM.
Hords is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2007, 09:17 PM   #54
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy-au
I changed back to the DTE and wanted to see if every time a km ticked over on the distance travelled if the DTE would respond
I dont have a DTE readout.... Bloody El cheapo Barge!
Old 02-01-2007, 09:23 PM   #55
ten[A]cio[U]s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I did the same trip again today and only managed 890km from the tank..

I used ordinary old unleaded because the premium was taken and i needed some fuel.

All in all its consistantly getting decent number which make me very happy.

Future fun: 1968 Ford Galaxie 500

ten[A]cio[U]s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2007, 09:30 PM   #56
Bundy
All Ford Club Life Member
Donating Member3

Gees only 890km, you must be peeved at that.

Worked AU XR8 Ute - Toy

Std FG XR6T Ute - Daily

Supercharged BA 6 Ute - Wife's daily

351W F150 93 XLT 4x4 Supercab
Bundy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post