Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 05-02-2007, 12:59 PM   #31
RATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8GLI
I have to disagree with the second part of that sentence. Muscles are what burns energy and the larger the muscle the more energy it uses to do any particular task. So the more muscle you have the more energy you burn even while resting. Just like Hyperkid's post mentions.

Think of it like a 6L V8 vs a 1.5L 4cyl. Sure the V8 has much more power than the 4cyl and uses much more fuel while working hard but even while idling it still uses more fuel than the 4cyl.

But it sounds like you have the right idea eb_5litre. Its all about not eating too many calories and getting them from the right sources. And just getting up and moving, no matter what activity it is.
That is spot on.

eb_5litre, keep up the good work and definately hit the weight if you can 3 days a week. It will be beneficial in the long term as you strengthen your joints and will as a result become more mobile. And not to mention stronger.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2007, 12:59 PM   #32
XRated
Shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry_ford
I have lost 24kg. from 94 down to 70kg in 6 months. The easiest way ever. get Divorced, lol. couldnt eat because of stress initially. then thought i would ride the wave so i kept exercising by going for a run a few times a week for 20 min. dont eat fast food at all now. have not had a soft drink in 5 months. genrally skip dinner just drink a heap or red wine. have a roll for lunch about 10.30am. then a small snack in the afternoon. (if hungry when ****ed i eat tomatoes.. dunno why) yeah seems to work. but i wouldnt recomend it. (also smoke a heap of cigs. they are next to go)
Geeze bud, that sounds like one of the worst diets ever. Sure you might have/be losing weight, but at what expense? I'm no doctor, but I'm sure it's taking its toll on the inside.

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2007, 03:23 PM   #33
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm not the shapest tool in the shed, I was in the same boat, I was 34, 178cm tall and weighed 128kg BMI of 40

I had my insurance medicle and they told me that as I was Soooo over weight they were imposing a over weight levie to my IP policy of 50%, that was the much needed kick in the **** I needed.

the next day I went to the doctor I figured I had tried all the fads I would go and plan it with my GP< he told me of all the different medications etc but sugested that if I was fair dinkum I sould just get more active and cut down on food, so insted of my usual

Breakfast 6 - 8 peces of toast or 8 weat bix or a cooked breakfast I now have either 2 peises of Low GI bread with vegimite or simular an apple and a glass of fruit juice.

Lunch has gone form Hamburger and chips or simular to 1 samdwich with a proteen such as chicken, tuna etc with heaps of salad (I add things like olivs or chilly to give it some tast)

Dinner was simular to lunch before wheres now its much smaller lean meat chicken or fish with salad or vegies, since 12/12/05 to now I have droped to 88kg BMI 0f 28 I still want to loose another 10 but I'm gettign there.

I walk 3 days a week (4.5km) I run 3 days a week (8km) and I have 1 day off I dont follow the above diet religiosly becasue if I did I would fail but if I go out I try to order sensibly and if I have a bad day I just sart fresh the next.

all the best man and I hope you do well with your quest, I would get the pains checked out but tis probably just your body complaining as it hasnt doen this sort of thing for a while, I know wehn I worked form a 4.5 K walk to a run of the same distance my knees used to hurt and I even throw up once or twise but my body got used to it and now if I dont go for any exercize for a few days it complains by hurting again

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2007, 04:19 PM   #34
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

I struggle with motivation..

I believe my weight problem is in exercise, but I'm not really a sporting person and can't really motivate myself to go walking by myself at night...

What other options are there?
Old 05-02-2007, 04:26 PM   #35
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackout

I believe my weight problem is in exercise, but I'm not really a sporting person and can't really motivate myself to go walking by myself at night...

Go in the morning. I have a good mate who I go running with in the mornings, good motivation to get out of bed when he is sitting in my driveway with instructions to start honking the horn if I'm not out there in 5 mins and vice versa the next week.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2007, 04:59 PM   #36
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Quote:
Originally Posted by creampuff
Keep up the good work eB, I joined Terry Ferguson Meal Replacement shakes, I love them. I have 2 shakes to replace two meals, 2 chicken thighs(grilled) and a salad everyday.In 18 months I have lost 22 kilos(i want to lose another 10). Heaps of people at work are doing it....and it has results, I am down 3 shirt sizes and 3 short sizes....give it a go!
My parents, both in the mid-fifties, started on that last year and both have lost weight. My father especially has gone from being 120-odd for years, and is now almost 90kgs. I couldn't hardly believe he was the same guy at Xmas.
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2007, 05:35 PM   #37
TATT2
100% aussie hillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by creampuff
Keep up the good work eB, I joined Terry Ferguson Meal Replacement shakes, I love them. I have 2 shakes to replace two meals, 2 chicken thighs(grilled) and a salad everyday.In 18 months I have lost 22 kilos(i want to lose another 10). Heaps of people at work are doing it....and it has results, I am down 3 shirt sizes and 3 short sizes....give it a go!
Good mate of mine has lost 44kgs since June last year on Tony ferguson, he tried everything and Tony ferguson is the only thing that has worked for him
TATT2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2007, 06:20 PM   #38
eb_5litre
It'll Buff Out.

Sweet, thanks for the tips guys.
eb_5litre is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2007, 06:44 PM   #39
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackout

Martial Arts - I started doing Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and it gives you a flogging when you start doing the sparring/wrestling

Gym - Jump on a treadmill or cross trainer.

Weights - Do it at home. Get a bench, some weights and get stuck into it (kettle bells are getting popular too)

Skip rope at home, get a punching bag, go cycling. I used to go ride the M7 motorway on the weekends.

Considered triathlons ? My g/f is into this now and the help and support the teams give each other is really really good.

What about swimming ?

There's stacks of things you can do which don't feel like exercise but still get you going. I don't like exercising but when you see results it makes you want to keep going.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2007, 06:45 PM   #40
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATT2
Good mate of mine has lost 44kgs since June last year on Tony ferguson, he tried everything and Tony ferguson is the only thing that has worked for him
That stuff takes disgusting. I had the shakes (with water) and it was feral. Maybe it'd taste better mixed with milk....

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2007, 06:48 PM   #41
eb_5litre
It'll Buff Out.

I cant do most things outdoors during summer daytime, the heat kills me.... Ive passed out from heat exhaustion a few times in my life doing little more than walking in the hot sun.

The swimming pool and home gym looks the goods.

Ive decided to start walking every night and eat a milo bar before I do... we'll see how that goes.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:51 PM   #42
eb_5litre
It'll Buff Out.

I dont really like those replacement shakes, its not something I see myself sustaining after weight loss. Much prefer to get into the routine of a healthy balanced diet.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:42 PM   #43
XR8GRL
Powered by Tickford

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATT2
That's a good effort for the Tony Ferguson program.

Even though I had lost 6kg in 2 weeks, I found it to be the worst diet to be on.

SILHOUETTE AUII XR8
Leather, Premium sound, Momo S/wheel & gear knob, Sunroof, 20" Advanti Desires, Bulge, XR50 Front, Pacemaker extractors,
Ballistic cats, 2.5" cat back system, Rebel bar & skirts, XR scuff plates, Kings SL & SSL springs
XR8GRL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2007, 11:58 PM   #44
eb_5litre
It'll Buff Out.

Any tips on focusing on losing the big gut? Thats where most of mine seems to reside........
Old 06-02-2007, 01:46 AM   #45
Night Runner
- V8 ENTHUSIAST -

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb_5litre
Any tips on focusing on losing the big gut? Thats where most of mine seems to reside........

Stay away from the fat foods. It sounds simple and it is. That's where it all goes for males, ladies get the fat on the hips and bum (stop blaming the jeans ladies!). Of course sit ups help. Get one of those ab rollers mate, they work very well.

Do 5 x 20 reps each day, if you want, do one set in the morning and one at night. That works out at 100 sit ups in the session which will get results. Have a 20 second (1 second for each sit up) break between reps and continue...don't sit there for any longer you need to keep the heat up. Once you think you're doing OK do 30 odd but just take your time. Feel tired or sore - stop. You'll feel your stomach tighten within 1-2 days I guarantee, you won't see it but you sure will feel it. Depending, you'll see results within 1-2 weeks.....which should make you hungry to see more and better results.

My 0.02c
Old 06-02-2007, 02:09 AM   #46
Annie1962
Annie

Quote:
I dont really like those replacement shakes, its not something I see myself sustaining after weight loss. Much prefer to get into the routine of a healthy balanced diet.
yes it's a good idea to develop good eating habits.

I can't eat breakfast at all... even as a small child.

Now I have a protein shake because going without breakfast reduces your metabolic rate and hence you won't burn off the calories that fast.

I use optifast, tastes nice ...only once a day.

I don't believe in having shakes more than once a day because what happens when you lose the weight? What did you learn about your eating habits.

Too many people lose the weight with fad diets, then once they've reached their goal weight, go "right, made it.. now I can eat what I want again" and on goes the weight again.

98% of people who lose weight ..gain it back again.

Frightening statistic and I have been in that 98 percent bracket too many times..

I eat well now ..drink heaps of water. Go swimming and do laps of the pool, aquarobics and the weight's coming off nicely
Old 06-02-2007, 12:19 PM   #47
XRated
Shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ-TS50
Stay away from the fat foods. It sounds simple and it is. That's where it all goes for males, ladies get the fat on the hips and bum (stop blaming the jeans ladies!). Of course sit ups help. Get one of those ab rollers mate, they work very well.

Do 5 x 20 reps each day, if you want, do one set in the morning and one at night. That works out at 100 sit ups in the session which will get results. Have a 20 second (1 second for each sit up) break between reps and continue...don't sit there for any longer you need to keep the heat up. Once you think you're doing OK do 30 odd but just take your time. Feel tired or sore - stop. You'll feel your stomach tighten within 1-2 days I guarantee, you won't see it but you sure will feel it. Depending, you'll see results within 1-2 weeks.....which should make you hungry to see more and better results.

My 0.02c
I have to disagree somewhat. From my understanding, to lose fat (from any part of your body) you need to focus on lots of cardio activity. This includes walking, running, bike riding, swimming, any endurance type work. This should burn off fat and increase muscle mass in certain areas - the more muscle - the more efficiently your body can burn fat.

Sit-ups are particularly good for muscle definition in your abdominals and can burn fat but only a very minimal amount. I'd suggest running/riding/swimming and gradually increasing sit-ups over time.

When and what you eat will also determine how well your body can burn fat or increase muscle mass. I.e. rice may be healthy, but it is loaded with carbs. This becomes a problem when you're not active because unused carbs basically turn into fat/mass. If you're planning a long run, eating carbs the night before is a good idea for energy for the next day's activities.

Just another quick example is that you should try and eat/drink protein (egg white, tuna, supplements etc) after working out if you're after muscle building.

20V Turbo

Old 06-02-2007, 02:07 PM   #48
Ringo
I see you....

I echo everyone else comments about its good to see you helping yourself, consult a doctor, look after yourself etc etc.

Mrs Ringo is about to start Lite n Easy...which is expensive ($140 or so for all meals per week) but has worked really well for someone else we know. That person has now dropped it and is doing her own meals in the same style as lite n easy.

I have alwasy carried 10 kgs extra since I was a teenager, except its now 15kgs. I used to have an active job at be 90kgs (5"11) and was lean (could see my codger without having to look over the roof of the shed). I work in an office now excersing my brain but not my braun and put on 15 kgs in about 3 years....I am now slowly pulling it back and have got a belt notch back.

I am a creature of habit so figured if I could adapt some food patterns as part of my work routines then it would help. I now eat a tub of sliced pears for breakfast each work day. I eat breaky at work so 5 out of my 7 breakfasts are fruit and I don't even think about anymore. Dinners - I just try to eat proteins over carbs.

I am not stressing about it, thinking about it, just congratulate myself on making small choices. Also Mrs Ringo and I eat too much food...this is the really hard part to cut down but try to recognise when your eating and no longer hungry and stop - "don't be a member of the plate cleaner club" (a slogan from one of Mrs Ringo weight loss books)

Good luck champ, just have it a goal for this year and promise yourself a reward if you make it - something you wouldn't normally do.

I have wondered if having a go kart and driving that for an hour regularly would be a good workout?
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2007, 03:42 PM   #49
Peej

I work with many weight loss clients in my business on a one to one basis. I agree with everyone else in that the first thing i do is send them straight to the doctor for a checkup. Once they have been given the o.k then its on.

Losing weight is a calories in vs calories out game (unless you have a specific medical condition). Basically burning more than what you put in.

You should be having no less that 4 small meals a day and focus primarily on a low fat diet. Sticking with foods that are in their most natural state and avoiding high processed foods. Protein, Carbohydrates and fibre are expecially important. Your nutrition will be 80% of the battle, most people look for the easy way out and go for one of those 'easy weight loss plans' consisiting of meal replacements etc. Let me just tell you, when your looking to lose weight you have to find something that you can sustain for the rest of your life. Generally i do not recommend these types of programs to clients but there are some people that benefit from them, particularly if under the recommendation guidence of a dietician. But mostly my clients lose weight the only way, the hard way.

As for excercise, your going to want to increase your lean muscle mass in turn speeding up your motbolism and increase your calorie burning potential. Lifting heavy weights is the best way increase your muscle mass, 1-2 times a week and used in conjunction with a structured cardio program is the way to go. The bigger the muscle the bigger the energy expenditure and the more calories you burn at rest. Its like a V8 and a Four cylinder sitting at the lights, which one uses more fuel? You want to turn your body into a calorie burning machine. And dont even bother with your sit up and crunches, you can't spot reduce on particular parts of you body, just keep going and it'll eventually come off all over.

Finally get yourself a good team, i tell my clients instead of spending money on take aways, quick weight loss schemes and junk food to spend money on things that are going to help them. Get yourself a decent Personal Trainer and someone like a dietician or excercise nutritionlist so you can learn how to get the weight off and keep it off.

The most important thing to do is be consistant.

Last edited by Peej; 06-02-2007 at 03:53 PM.
Peej is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2007, 05:39 PM   #50
Night Runner
- V8 ENTHUSIAST -

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRated
I have to disagree somewhat. From my understanding, to lose fat (from any part of your body) you need to focus on lots of cardio activity. This includes walking, running, bike riding, swimming, any endurance type work. This should burn off fat and increase muscle mass in certain areas - the more muscle - the more efficiently your body can burn fat.

Sit-ups are particularly good for muscle definition in your abdominals and can burn fat but only a very minimal amount. I'd suggest running/riding/swimming and gradually increasing sit-ups over time.

When and what you eat will also determine how well your body can burn fat or increase muscle mass. I.e. rice may be healthy, but it is loaded with carbs. This becomes a problem when you're not active because unused carbs basically turn into fat/mass. If you're planning a long run, eating carbs the night before is a good idea for energy for the next day's activities.

Just another quick example is that you should try and eat/drink protein (egg white, tuna, supplements etc) after working out if you're after muscle building.

Yupe, I thought that was kind of obvious so didn't put exercising in. It's like eating well you still need regular exercise. My post is from first hand experience, not from an understanding or what I have been told. I do 5 x 30 reps in the morning and usually at night plus a 30 minute run 5 days a week. Heaps of water and I eat what ever I want, KFC, McDonald's, chips....just not every day and in moderation.
Old 06-02-2007, 06:19 PM   #51
drcook
I Bleed Orange!

Quote:
Ok cool, excellent advice thanks.

My usual diet is:

Brekky - 3/4 cup of Just Right with Lite White milk.
Lunch - Salad in a bowl, ham/salad s/wich on multigrain (or chicken/salad).
Dinner - Steak or Chicken Schnitzel and salad (sometimes stir fry).

Every 3 weeks or so i'll have a splurge like having chips with my meat or maybe even KFC or something.

I do get hot when i'm walking obviously due to limited sweat glands so i'll have a shower immediately after walking.
I still feel really good when i'm walking and its getting easier everytime I do it, its just those couple of things that were a bit worrying.

I might change my routine to a 30mins walk every night instead.

Thanks guys.
great to hear your making the effort, im also trying to lose as many kg's before my wedding in april.
i am in the lucky position of having a best mate being a personal trainer and she given me some tips about weight loss.

one of the things ive noticed about your diet is only 3 meals per day. ive been advised to have 6 meals a day.

fruit for breakfast.
fruit/salad/bit of chicken for morning tea.
have protien food for lunch (fish, chicken breast, etc)
a snack for afternoon tea.
dinner. stay away from carbs after lunch. no eating after 8:30-900pm
supper (bit more fruit).

obviously stay away from anything fried. drink at least 10 glasses of water per day.
Old 06-02-2007, 06:22 PM   #52
Night Runner
- V8 ENTHUSIAST -

That's what I also have been told and it's true (IMO). Eat little but often to keep that metabolism burning. I use to eat one big ar$e meal at night and that was it. My poor metabolism guys in the furnace area trying to shovel that out into the burning system would have had a hard time. :
Old 07-02-2007, 07:19 PM   #53
eb_5litre
It'll Buff Out.

Which foods contain the least carbs... for dinner?
Old 07-02-2007, 11:11 PM   #54
XRated
Shoot.

Lettuce :P

20V Turbo

Old 08-02-2007, 11:57 AM   #55
XA Coupsta
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ive decided to start walking every night and eat a milo bar before I do... we'll see how that goes.
All that milo bar is going to do is 'fuel' your walk. Therefore you aint burning fat, simply the energy you just gave your body.

If you are targetting fat loss - its gotta be early morning (soon as you wake up) cardio sessions on an empty stomach.

Not full bore cardio - but fat burn. So if 1 was the easiest and 10 the hardest you could go - you do about a 6 effort level. 40mins worth.

It shouldnt be too hot for you early in the morning.

Swimming would be the option for you then anyway.
XA Coupsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2007, 12:54 PM   #56
drcook
I Bleed Orange!

Quote:
Which foods contain the least carbs... for dinner?

lean beef
lean beef mince
lean chicken mince
steak (good quality pieces, no fat)
chicken breast
fish
tofu
Old 08-02-2007, 01:42 PM   #57
Ringo
I see you....

Other simple things....

Stay away from soft drinks - those suckerd are loaded with sugar, even the 'mineral water' style ones.

Drink a big glass of water before a meal to help fill you up.

A big milkshake for breakfast instead of breakfast perhaps.

Grog gets converted to fat as well..

Read the label on foods - there sometimes is a big difference in say margarine brands fat content without halving to resort to 'diet' style brands.

Little things add up over time
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2007, 05:37 PM   #58
eb_5litre
It'll Buff Out.

Yeah I suppose I could get up early and go for a walk, would that mean I could eliminate the walk at night OR do them both? Doesnt bother me either way.

I dont touch soft drinks.... except for the very occasional saxbys diet ginger beer.
I dont eat butter or margarine.... never have really.
Ive cut my water back to 2-2.5 litres.
I dont drink alcohol and dont smoke.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:53 PM   #59
nobbystang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo
Other simple things....

Stay away from soft drinks - those suckerd are loaded with sugar, even the 'mineral water' style ones.

Drink a big glass of water before a meal to help fill you up.

Read the label on foods - there sometimes is a big difference in say margarine brands fat content without halving to resort to 'diet' style brands.

Little things add up over time
I noticed on TBL that they still have diet lemonades?? WTF.

Have been told that a slice of lemon in your water before dinner helps metabolise food, or something, honestly can't remember exactly but do remember it was good for you to do so.

Don't be fooled by diet and fat free being good for you, fat free jsut means its loaded with sugar, which is probably just as bad as all that fat!!

baby steps and don't give up over minor set backs.

Previous:
2011 SZ Territory Titanium
2008 Ford Edge AWD Limited
Silhouette BF XR6, ZF Auto
White EF GLi, XR look alike
VH Commodore
nobbystang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2007, 12:15 AM   #60
gtfpv
GT

i've been on the tony ferguson diet , and i must say it works ( if you like starving) !! my tip is eat 2 bowls of just right for brekky every morning . anyprotien shake for lunch , if you like , if not try fruit salad /or 2 apples . for afternnon tea . a cup of tea and a small chocky bar . and dinner . a good steak / or chicken meal, with veggies ( no chips or potatoes . NO DESSERT, and nothing till brekky the next day. dont over do it with the walking . walk everyday. 1 to 2kms. straight after lunch. remember max exercise simpluy is a phase and will not last. moderate exercise is the go. if you drink alcohol cutdown or stop . if you smoke , stop. give yourself one day aweek where you can have a takawy meal . at dinnertime never fillup. you sound like you are doing well. you've already lost heaps of weight . and it does get easier . i reccomend walking machines / and when you lose some belly / definately 15 minutes a day on a rowing machine .
my rule of thumb . is there is no trick to it, the main thing is exercise and eating smaller meals . with less carbs . through my own experiance though . this takes great will power and dowesn't tend to last

perhaps light and easy is the go as ihave seen people eating all the time on these diets and still lose weight
perhaps this way is healthier asnd easier . good luck . and well done

smack on the rist for not having a blood test before you started this . hope you dont have diabetes .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post