Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 13-01-2021, 02:23 PM   #1
tweeked
N/A all the way

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
hmm its not a good look but a hard balance, if we cancel all entertainment events full stop then all the people locked down or just generally depressed will get worse.

But the visuals of it are not great.
I much prefer this to a politician grand standing saying "1 rule for all".

Life has to go on, in all likelihood we have another 2 years before life will be normal. Everyone is not equal or in the same position. It is a fact and people need to get over it. Doctors, nurses, logistics and food services must obviously go on. But so must some form of entertainment for the masses. For the tennis Vic Gov have a comprehensive system in place to quarantine all involved from the community. I don't think we will see the winner being able to do a Jim Courier and run down to jump in the Yarra.

I'm a bit over people upset about self funded quarantine (still monitored, and it actually means we don't take up spaces for returned Aussies) and other entertainment being allowed with special provisions. Without it, we would be way worse off, economically and mentally.

This user likes this post:
Old 13-01-2021, 03:56 PM   #2
prydey
Rob

How many of the Australians that are 'stranded' overseas have dual citizenship and overseas is actually their primary place of residence, but are now playing their Australian citizen card because Australia is not really affected by the virus in comparison to where they are?
Old 13-01-2021, 04:04 PM   #3
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
How many of the Australians that are 'stranded' overseas have dual citizenship and overseas is actually their primary place of residence, but are now playing their Australian citizen card because Australia is not really affected by the virus in comparison to where they are?
I’d like to see these stats too.

The perception is a lot are returning from the sub-continent, but I’d like to know the numbers and the breakdown.

Good post Prydey.
Old 13-01-2021, 04:06 PM   #4
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Lots when you listen to them being interviewed with their British and USA accents. I think the repatriation thing will become moot as the intake quota has dropped, air seats disappear and vaccines roll out around the world.
Old 13-01-2021, 06:00 PM   #5
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

We've had the same thoughts at home.

And the number of people I have found to have returned to Australia and left and returned again during this time is astounding.
One story was of a male returning twice for a relatives illness and then death. They missed the last visit and the funeral due to quarantining, effectively travelling back and forth across the globe for nothing
I don't get how its been allowed when others are complaining about trying to legitimately get home.
Old 13-01-2021, 03:53 PM   #6
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT January 12th, 2021.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

19 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 3.175%. NSW recorded 16 cases, Queensland 1 and WA recorded 1.

No new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.125% and active cases 72.

The UK had 45,533 cases yesterday and 1,243 deaths.

Just over 217.5k new cases in the USA yesterday and 2,055 deaths sees CMR fall to 1.665% and active cases at 39.2% with the raw numbers rising and now over 9M. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
Global deaths set a new daily high of 15,500;
Europe passes 600k deaths;
South America passes 14M cases;

Only -
Malaysia (3,309); and
UAE (3,243);

... recorded a new daily high; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2021, 04:08 PM   #7
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Surprised the government isnt cross-referencing who's been paying Aus tax and who hasnt, in determining the order in which people are being let back into the country.
2 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2021, 04:22 PM   #8
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

NSW authorities are STILL trying to link FOURTEEN mystery COVID-19 cases

Quote:
Four weeks on from discovering the northern beaches outbreak, NSW Health is still trying to link 14 recent coronavirus cases to known clusters.

Five locally-acquired coronavirus cases were reported on Tuesday from just under 15,000 tests.

The origins of two new cases - one on the northern beaches and one in Blacktown - are so far unknown.

All up, 12 cases found since December 16 are still being investigated by NSW contact tracers, including three detected before Christmas.

A further two cases - from the Canterbury-Bankstown and Lane Cove council areas - have been fully investigated without any link found.
https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/healt...ases-c-1945180

Old 13-01-2021, 05:50 PM   #9
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Is this what it has come to? In front of children? Seriously NSW??

Man accused of stabbing attack during face mask argument at Windsor shopping centre

Quote:
NSW Police have charged a man who allegedly assaulted a security guard and stabbed another person during an argument over a face mask at a shopping centre in Sydney's west.

Police allege Dylan Lewis Creswell, 25, a woman and two children were at the centre in Windsor when a security guard asked the woman to put a mask on about 8.20pm yesterday.

A short time later, Mr Creswell allegedly approached the security guard — a 59-year-old manand punched him several times.

Police allege a member of the public — a 53-year-old man — intervened.

They allege Mr Creswell pulled out a knife and stabbed the older man in the leg.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-...ndsor/13054384

The 'we got to live with the virus' strategy is doing wonders for NSW's mental health obviously.
Old 13-01-2021, 05:59 PM   #10
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post

Man accused of stabbing attack during face mask argument at Windsor shopping centre

The 'we got to live with the virus' strategy is doing wonders for NSW's mental health obviously.
So you reckon it is the fault of NSW govt that some D.H leaves his brain at home when he takes the family to the shops ?????????
2 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2021, 06:59 PM   #11
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
So you reckon it is the fault of NSW govt that some D.H leaves his brain at home when he takes the family to the shops ?????????
Partly, yes.

Firstly, we saw a little bit of this type of behaviour (not to this extent but) during the first nationwide lockdown last March-April. People on edge about 'catching the virus', and having to watch what you do, touch, etc, etc. Stress and anxiety builds which led to fights and arguments. When there's unknown community transmission as there currently is in NSW, stress and/or anxiety tends to be a bit higher and it build up in some people. Which probably results in this kind of behaviour.

Secondly, when your state leader is never ever seen wearing a mask, and then a security guard at the shops tells you to wear a mask, some might react negatively towards his request. Have you seen what has been happening in the USA the last few months for example? Whether you like to believe it or not, some people do 'follow the leader'. Trump is an anti-masker. Look what happened there. Berejiklian, (though not in the same anti-masker league as Trump), sends the same signals to her people by being an anti-masker.

There's an interesting video that has been circulating on social media. In short description, NSW health officials are meeting in a room, all are wearing masks. Berejiklian walks in, everyone removes their masks. This was before masks were mandated in NSW. No firm details on when and where this meeting occurred, so not going to post, until I have firm details.
Old 13-01-2021, 07:13 PM   #12
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Your constant bashing of NSW is childish and becoming very tedious. It's time you thought up something else to whinge about on your drive home from work.

Old 13-01-2021, 07:30 PM   #13
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Your constant bashing of NSW is childish and becoming very tedious.
I think you might be slightly exaggerating with "constant NSW bashing". Informative, and/or concerned posts maybe.

The rest of Australia is concerned with what is going on in NSW, and how the NSW strategy could effect the rest of Australia if their strategy fails. As we've seen happen already.

And maybe also, slightly in counter to a certain someone's posts that seem to always be, as you like to put it "constantly bashing"; of VIC, and other Labor states. But you seem to ignore that fact, and have not once said anything. Has it anything to do with he is also from NSW as you are?

ps: What makes you think I drive home from work? Or work?
I could be an old grump who sits in front of my computer trolling these forums 20 hours a day. I should get a life hey?

Last edited by Tickford.; 13-01-2021 at 07:35 PM.
Old 13-01-2021, 06:29 PM   #14
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:

Old 13-01-2021, 07:05 PM   #15
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
Is that the NSW Gold Standard contact tracing, plane?

Old 13-01-2021, 07:08 PM   #16
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Wouldn't go as far as to blame NSW's strategy, but setting half assed rules is sure to pit residents against each other.

Just one of a few unsavory CV related incidents coming to light in the last few days. Two over masks, one over Vic's premier. Not hard to guess where these nutters get their ideologies from.
Old 13-01-2021, 08:27 PM   #17
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

There is never an excuse to assault someone else, particularly someone who is just trying to do their job to the best of their ability. People should be able to go to work and feel safe - not worry about being assaulted.

For those of that think it is OK to assault someone because the Government has made some obscure rule should be ashamed of themselves.

Also, I won't just stand by and let you use this forum to advocate that sort of disgusting behaviour.

Last edited by PG2; 13-01-2021 at 08:32 PM.
5 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2021, 09:14 PM   #18
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No matter what you think of this Rebel News / Avi, this footage ****ed me right off - that poor little fella

2 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2021, 10:38 PM   #19
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post
No matter what you think of this Rebel News / Avi, this footage ****ed me right off - that poor little fella

cheer up buttercup
6 users like this post:
Old 14-01-2021, 12:08 AM   #20
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post

**** around, fight out.. i guess?
failed the attitude test. no sympathy for her really, wtf was she thinking? shame on her for involving her kid in her own political agenda.

5 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2021, 09:15 PM   #21
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm not really all that bothered about what is happening in NSW. A few outbreaks but it is being managed.

It smells more about throwing **** at NSW because VIC copped so much **** but the situations are no where near comparable
5 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2021, 09:29 PM   #22
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Call for more clarity on border closure triggers

Human rights lawyers have called on the Victorian government to explain why thousands of people stranded for almost a fortnight in NSW’s COVID-19 hotspots cannot return and quarantine at home instead of being indefinitely excluded.

The Andrews government on Tuesday was unable to give a definitive answer as to when the borders between the two states would reopen, and has provided no timetable for when those who are stranded might return home.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...12-p56tl2.html
2 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2021, 09:54 PM   #23
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

That was my point the other day. They are afraid to set parameters.

WA - MMcG has given his “rules”.
NSW - GB is now saying “everybody stay open” but seem to be embracing monetisation of civilian compliance.
SA - SM is a bit vague but not posturing and seems open to dynamic advice from Ms Spurrier.
NT - not clear on ground rules but reacts both ways very quickly and firmly/clearly.
ACT - seems to be mostly following the NT model, with a little more buffering.
QLD - ruled by Dr Young, I have not read of clear ambitions/expectations.
TAS - seems to be following a QLD model, considering the wholesale cost of their quarantine (mostly motels, I believe) it’s almost an earner.
VIC - I don’t honestly think they have gone much beyond pondering how much they can make from fines!
Old 13-01-2021, 10:30 PM   #24
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
That was my point the other day. They are afraid to set parameters.

WA - MMcG has given his “rules”.
NSW - GB is now saying “everybody stay open” but seem to be embracing monetisation of civilian compliance.
SA - SM is a bit vague but not posturing and seems open to dynamic advice from Ms Spurrier.
NT - not clear on ground rules but reacts both ways very quickly and firmly/clearly.
ACT - seems to be mostly following the NT model, with a little more buffering.
QLD - ruled by Dr Young, I have not read of clear ambitions/expectations.
TAS - seems to be following a QLD model, considering the wholesale cost of their quarantine (mostly motels, I believe) it’s almost an earner.
VIC - I don’t honestly think they have gone much beyond pondering how much they can make from fines!
You are correct, although I don't think its because they are afraid, I think its more they are unsure what each other are going to do. The response in QLD is so different to the response in NSW, so how do you have one rule for all? However it does seem like no one has an issue with one another's approach except for one. Its rather odd don't you think?

This is quite relevant...

Calls to postpone Australian Open as NSW criticised for holding rest of country to ransom
https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/2021...-open-nsw-vic/

“The government of NSW has been letting the side down,” he told The New Daily.

Unlike the rest of the country, NSW has avoided large-scale, hard lockdowns when cases of community transmission have occurred.

Although the state has been effective in getting on top of outbreaks, it has created pandemonium in other parts of the country as state governments respond to their approach with a hotchpotch of restrictions and border closures.

Professor Bowtell said this had put the nation at risk."

Last edited by T3rminator; 13-01-2021 at 10:38 PM.
Old 14-01-2021, 12:29 AM   #25
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
Call for more clarity on border closure triggers

Human rights lawyers have called on the Victorian government to explain why thousands of people stranded for almost a fortnight in NSW’s COVID-19 hotspots cannot return and quarantine at home instead of being indefinitely excluded.

The Andrews government on Tuesday was unable to give a definitive answer as to when the borders between the two states would reopen, and has provided no timetable for when those who are stranded might return home.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...12-p56tl2.html
So im guessing that a large percentage of those stuck in nsw were holidaying or similar, in which case their stupidity and arrogance is being punished accordingly.
In fact, stupid doesnt even begin to describe it. Everyone has seen the signs since christmas.
We had plans to travel to far north qld, via a lengthy east coast tour over our long holidays, but decided to stay in vic because we're not stupid.
Who knew they would close borders again? Yeah, umm everyone with half a brain.
5 users like this post:
Old 14-01-2021, 09:46 AM   #26
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack91 View Post
So im guessing that a large percentage of those stuck in nsw were holidaying or similar, in which case their stupidity and arrogance is being punished accordingly.
In fact, stupid doesnt even begin to describe it. Everyone has seen the signs since christmas.
We had plans to travel to far north qld, via a lengthy east coast tour over our long holidays, but decided to stay in vic because we're not stupid.
Yeah damn stupid dumb stupid stupid arrogant people. Pitchforks and punishment! Keeping people in jobs, and living their lives, who do they think they are? Everyone should hide under a rock for two more years until this passes. That is what life is about.

6 users like this post:
Old 14-01-2021, 03:23 PM   #27
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked View Post
Yeah damn stupid dumb stupid stupid arrogant people. Pitchforks and punishment! Keeping people in jobs, and living their lives, who do they think they are? Everyone should hide under a rock for two more years until this passes. That is what life is about.
I agree with you on this one ;)

From a personal perspective we also rolled the dice over Christmas. Went from rural NSW>ACT>MELB>TAS>NSW.

All permits done for the time, wore masks where we had too etc. Stayed away from any "red/hot spots".

Glad I did, I dont know if one of the Grandparents will make it through to next Christmas and we were trying to get down since Easter.

Naturally if they were in a hot spot etc then thats different, they were, but it was lifted some time ago.

We need to work with the virus and continue as normal as much as possible.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane

Last edited by Polyal; 14-01-2021 at 03:32 PM.
4 users like this post:
Old 14-01-2021, 03:46 PM   #28
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
I agree with you on this one ;)

From a personal perspective we also rolled the dice over Christmas. Went from rural NSW>ACT>MELB>TAS>NSW.

All permits done for the time, wore masks where we had too etc. Stayed away from any "red/hot spots".

Glad I did, I dont know if one of the Grandparents will make it through to next Christmas and we were trying to get down since Easter.

Naturally if they were in a hot spot etc then thats different, they were, but it was lifted some time ago.

We need to work with the virus and continue as normal as much as possible.
But did you stay away from other people who might have been in said Hotspots, (you couldn't possibly know that) thats the thing, we do not know where others have come from or lied about where they have been.

Remember at the time they closed the Vic border to NSW, all of NSW was considered a hotspot.

Old 14-01-2021, 11:30 AM   #29
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack91 View Post
Dunno if "punish" is the appropriate word, but I get what you are saying. They took a gamble and it didn't pay off.

Had a mate that went into NSW, Queanbeyan (some town near canberra) a few days before Christmas. I said to him he better have a quick exit plan because I reckon things are likely to change, we are still in the middle of a pandemic and NSW had unlinked cases moving further away from central. He is one of those with the dan derangement syndromes, so he just laughed and mocked....arrogance. Wakes up NYE and finds he has to rush home. Tells everyone how hard he had it, blamed the government for not giving enough notice, yet he made it home with 20+ hours to spare. Then on the day Vic reported 10 new cases he plastered social media with how the gov was incompetent and should have closed the border sooner

Some people just don't get it and probably never will. However I do appreciate some may have had to go due to compassionate reasons, and I do think the gov should make a special effort to bring those home.
2 users like this post:
Old 14-01-2021, 12:18 PM   #30
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Dunno if "punish" is the appropriate word, but I get what you are saying. They took a gamble and it didn't pay off.

Had a mate that went into NSW, Queanbeyan (some town near canberra) a few days before Christmas. I said to him he better have a quick exit plan because I reckon things are likely to change, we are still in the middle of a pandemic and NSW had unlinked cases moving further away from central. He is one of those with the dan derangement syndromes, so he just laughed and mocked....arrogance. Wakes up NYE and finds he has to rush home. Tells everyone how hard he had it, blamed the government for not giving enough notice, yet he made it home with 20+ hours to spare. Then on the day Vic reported 10 new cases he plastered social media with how the gov was incompetent and should have closed the border sooner

Some people just don't get it and probably never will. However I do appreciate some may have had to go due to compassionate reasons, and I do think the gov should make a special effort to bring those home.
Yep, same here at the housesit we are doing, family choose to ignore the come home notice so spending a lovely week in Albury atm they have a permit to come back on Saturday.

Definately make sure we aren't here to greet them.

There was an ABC interview with a Gippsland couple returning from a QLD wedding and decided to return, driving via the NT, SA and then into Vic.
Remember hearing it just before NT annouced its restrictions.
Wonder if they made it.

Closed Thread