Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-08-2014, 04:40 PM   #7621
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 
Default Re: Last EVER Falcon Picture & Discussion Thread

The 4l is limited by its physical size...its long and tall...you could through as much money as you like at it, but it's time was always going to be up.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2014, 04:42 PM   #7622
FGX-302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Limited in what way?
FGX-302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2014, 04:47 PM   #7623
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mytchal86 View Post
Limited in what way?
I think Nikked mentioned how
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
The 4l is limited by its physical size...its long and tall...you could through as much money as you like at it, but it's time was always going to be up.
Old 16-08-2014, 04:48 PM   #7624
turbo4
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Limited in what way?
I'd say limited by the fact that Ford HQ likes their engines put in the wrong way around.
turbo4 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-08-2014, 05:03 PM   #7625
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudPipes View Post
I totally agree.
When I saw how they’d attached the badge to the 380 I thought no way am I buying that.
Or was it when I saw what they’d attached to the badge I thought I’m not buying that.
It was one or the other, I can’t remember which.
The name was horrific... 380 what were they thinking? Lead designer was an avid airbus fan? And the car? Aussies seem to be smart and don't buy secondhand recycled American market junk released as a new model. Just look how the 1992 USDM Toyota Avalon recycled as a 2000 model local performed back when large sedans were still a mainstay in our market.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2014, 05:22 PM   #7626
FGX-302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Considering the fuel economy n performance out of the Ecolpi and the power and torque extracted from the 310 turbo I can't see it's limits. It's physical size fits nicely into a falcon which it's designed for and offers a much better alternative to a V8 than ford America have ever had. Bearing in mind that had the falcon still been raging along the FGX I6 would have been tweaked in all areas like models before. I reckon had the falcon survived so would the I6. In top spec 450rwkws can be had on stock internals quite comfortably. Our I6 has raised some eyebrows around the world from time to time. The American public want our Turbo6 and our falcon have done for years. Proof of this u go on Facebook to ford racing America page n check out the release pics n comments for the FGX XR 90% of them love it most say they would buy one some even beg. Yet u go to our Aussies sites n there's more people bagging em out then not, saying it looks like a lancer or jag or whatever other rubbish they come up with. Most of these are keyboard warriors n probs don't have the cash to buy one anyway but still it's just the negative way australia reacts to all it's homegrown vehicles commodore included that ***** me. I won't ever understand why we wernt prepared to fight for our car industry. Its very UNAUSTRALIAN to give up that easy. The govenment is the major reason for the demise, there are other factors but the government ultimately can wear it far as I'm concerned. Bit of a novel but it's something I'm passionate about always will be lol
4 users like this post:
Old 16-08-2014, 05:27 PM   #7627
FGX-302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah I no what u mean turbo4 that's where they need to listen to their people that want the falcon n like I said swallow their pride. Unfortunately unless the FGX goes back to the glory days it's all too late. EF/EL type days would be nice ;-)
2 users like this post:
Old 16-08-2014, 06:00 PM   #7628
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Considering the fuel economy n performance out of the Ecolpi and the power and torque extracted from the 310 turbo I can't see it's limits. It's physical size fits nicely into a falcon which it's designed for and offers a much better alternative to a V8 than ford America have ever had. Bearing in mind that had the falcon still been raging along the FGX I6 would have been tweaked in all areas like models before. I reckon had the falcon survived so would the I6. In top spec 450rwkws can be had on stock internals quite comfortably. Our I6 has raised some eyebrows around the world from time to time. The American public want our Turbo6 and our falcon have done for years. Proof of this u go on Facebook to ford racing America page n check out the release pics n comments for the FGX XR 90% of them love it most say they would buy one some even beg. Yet u go to our Aussies sites n there's more people bagging em out then not, saying it looks like a lancer or jag or whatever other rubbish they come up with. Most of these are keyboard warriors n probs don't have the cash to buy one anyway but still it's just the negative way australia reacts to all it's homegrown vehicles commodore included that ***** me. I won't ever understand why we wernt prepared to fight for our car industry. Its very UNAUSTRALIAN to give up that easy. The govenment is the major reason for the demise, there are other factors but the government ultimately can wear it far as I'm concerned. Bit of a novel but it's something I'm passionate about always will be lol
The Turbo Six is a great engine or I should say was.

It’s time was due, it takes a lot of R&D money to upgrade engines for the newer Euro emissions and spending money on a product that is also physically too big to meet the global needs of smaller engine bays never gave it a chance.

Many good engines have fallen by the wayside over the years, the AMG 6.2 is a recent good example.
It was an engine that had global release and won many international awards and yet it wasn’t worth the R&D to meet the new emission requirements compared to designing a new smaller turbo product.

The i6T is now a “rest in peace” along with many of the other great engines of history and it will be replaced by something more efficient and possibly producing more power. That seems to be the way it eventually works.

When the old folk die off and stop talking of the big blocks of the 60’s & 70’s, the new old folk replacing them will be talking of the turbos of the turn of the century, the i6T will definitely be one that the Aussies will reminisce about.

As you get older you’ll notice time moves on and so does everything with it.
LoudPipes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2014, 07:18 PM   #7629
FGX-302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile Re: Last EVER Falcon Picture & Discussion Thread

If the falcon remained I could not see the engine bay getting smaller it has had too accommodate a V8 for decades. I'm happy to see the turbo6 be buried with the falcon though don't want either to go. Your point about smaller engines with more power. Assuming we are talking bout ford the mustang replacement on its way has a turbo4 no where near I6T power/torque figures barely more than the N/A I6 which would have a lot more if it wasn't for P plate laws being introduced. I will be very suprised if the top shelf (to Aus) N/A coyote V8 mustang with less power/torque can even go toe to toe with an FG F6 that was released in 08. Americans want the FGX bad. It's only Australians turning their back on the locals. An example of why is how many more people would own a V8 if the rego was $500 a year. How many bought a 4 over a 6 due to rego. Rego alone is killing off the V8 n too a lesser extent the 6. Also our imports are tax free to bring in and built with cheaper labour yet our top shelf falcon gets slammed with a ridiculous luxury car tax. BMW, MERC ect may be considered luxury HOLDEN and FORD wake up aust government. Pathetic attempt by K Rudd to recover his govs reckless spending. The next one in, the ranga would screw more sales with fringe benefits taxes effectively nearly stopping fleet sales of both commodore and falcon.
Old 16-08-2014, 07:25 PM   #7630
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Considering the fuel economy n performance out of the Ecolpi and the power and torque extracted from the 310 turbo I can't see it's limits. It's physical size fits nicely into a falcon which it's designed for and offers a much better alternative to a V8 than ford America have ever had.
That's your problem right there...

the 4l couldn't be adapted to other vehicles, and its not just a case of fitting in something like a falcon...pedestrian safety laws are becoming harsher, and the 4L limits the way the front of a car is built around the engine.

Being a great engine doesn't save it from other short comings...

\≡≡T≡≡/
This user likes this post:
Old 16-08-2014, 07:40 PM   #7631
nstg8a

Quote:
If the falcon remained I could not see the engine bay getting smaller it has had too accommodate a V8 for decades.
V8 is a lot shorter than the inline six, so the front of the car has to have that massive front overhang, with a family v6 falcon could have shaved a significant amount of length and weight from forward of the front axle line, which has massive handling advantages, not to mention looks better.

Quote:
Assuming we are talking bout ford the mustang replacement on its way has a turbo4 no where near I6T power/torque figures barely more than the N/A I6 which would have a lot more if it wasn't for P plate laws being introduced.
P plate laws are irrelevant to i6 power levels.

Quote:
I will be very suprised if the top shelf (to Aus) N/A coyote V8 mustang with less power/torque can even go toe to toe with an FG F6 that was released in 08.
Not a lot of cars can honestly go toe to toe with an f6, they're a freak which is unique in the automotive world.

Quote:
Americans want the FGX bad.
A few people on Facebook is hardly a good business case. Would those same people still buy one when it would be the best part of 60k American?
When a base v8 mustang is less than half that?

Quote:
It's only Australians turning their back on the locals. An example of why is how many more people would own a V8 if the rego was $500 a year. How many bought a 4 over a 6 due to rego. Rego alone is killing off the V8 n too a lesser extent the 6.
Only in the states where rego is based on cylinder count, and I don't think there's any significant difference in sales between the states that charge rego based on cylinders, and those who base it on weight.
And how do you explain holden selling so many v8s?
Quote:
Also our imports are tax free to bring in and built with cheaper labour yet our top shelf falcon gets slammed with a ridiculous luxury car tax. BMW, MERC ect may be considered luxury HOLDEN and FORD wake up aust government. Pathetic attempt by K Rudd to recover his govs reckless spending. The next one in, the ranga would screw more sales with fringe benefits taxes effectively nearly stopping fleet sales of both commodore and falcon.
Imports aren't quite tax free, and as for pay rates, would you work for ford or Holden assembling cars for $4.50 an hour to keep production here?

Didn't think so...
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-08-2014, 07:51 PM   #7632
FGX-302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My point about the govenment who creates these laws? As far as pedestrian safety goes I believe all landcruisers patrols and F trucks old and new pose a much bigger risk. Not that I have a problem with those vehicles just saying. Also a bad driver will crash the safest of cars there's a bigger picture with car safety. Cars go off driver input. If the standard of drivers was much higher in general would we need all this crap on our cars. Basic safety yes (seatbelts/airbags). A competent driver does not need driving aids such as traction control stability control lane keeping blind assist ect. These features are turned off soon as they get in for spirited driving. My original statement was about the I6 yes but to me it's more about losing the falcon and commodore. Heritage motorsport rivalry. Long serving aust icons..Aust jobs. It's more than just an engine.
Old 16-08-2014, 07:55 PM   #7633
FGX-302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Are u aware of how much the American version of the ss sold for? No where near 60k US
Old 16-08-2014, 08:00 PM   #7634
FGX-302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The 5.0 is marginally shorter. A shorter front end looking better is your personal opinion. Commodores are selling because they have a new model they advertise well and are offering great deals longer warranty with lots of cheap servicing and good finance packages. Why is the VF or for that matter every commodore since VN not been noticeably shorter than the falcon theve never run a staight engine since the RB30 VL?
Old 16-08-2014, 08:04 PM   #7635
FGX-302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If u believe 195kw is all the NA I6 is good for and nothing to do with P Plate laws your call.
Old 16-08-2014, 08:10 PM   #7636
FGX-302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The problem with imports is not that we need to work for $4 an hour. Compared to other countries we tax next to nothing on imports. While a tax would drive the price up a little but it would be justified by injecting that money into our local industry bringing our prices down one way or another. If some companies did not like it than they would be free to leave we could do with losing a few import variants or more than a few!!
Old 16-08-2014, 08:18 PM   #7637
FGX-302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's not surprising about your rego statement as falcon and commodore are large cars with heavy engines compared to small cars with small engines. Large car large engine 6 or 8 weighs a lot more. Small car small engine has 4 cyl. Regardless off cyl count or weight all australian states are too dear.
Old 16-08-2014, 08:19 PM   #7638
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 16-08-2014, 08:21 PM   #7639
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Quote:
The 5.0 is marginally shorter. A shorter front end looking better is your personal opinion. Commodores are selling because they have a new model they advertise well and are offering great deals longer warranty with lots of cheap servicing and good finance packages. Why is the VF or for that matter every commodore since VN not been noticeably shorter than the falcon theve never run a staight engine since the RB30 VL?
Because the basic platform of the VN-VT remained the same...

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 16-08-2014, 08:31 PM   #7640
FGX-302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Your point was a falcon could have a shorter nose look and handle better with a V6. Whether the VN-VT platform was the same why wasn't it shorter from then? They have never nor had intentions of putting a I6 in the Holden since VL so why in 2014 the VF still isn't majorly shorter? The V8 yes is a Marginally shorter engine but requires more room for cooling/lubrication ect.
Old 16-08-2014, 08:31 PM   #7641
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Agree naddis01, but you ruined his roll of unbroken posts
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 16-08-2014, 08:33 PM   #7642
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Quote:
The problem with imports is not that we need to work for $4 an hour. Compared to other countries we tax next to nothing on imports. While a tax would drive the price up a little but it would be justified by injecting that money into our local industry bringing our prices down one way or another. If some companies did not like it than they would be free to leave we could do with losing a few import variants or more than a few!!

The only problem with imports is that Australians buy them. Australians don't buy Australian made cars.
Australian cars are great value but still don't sell. All the taxes in the world won't change that.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2014, 08:38 PM   #7643
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Quote:
Your point was a falcon could have a shorter nose look and handle better with a V6. Whether the VN-VT platform was the same why wasn't it shorter from then? They have never nor had intentions of putting a I6 in the Holden since VL so why in 2014 the VF still isn't majorly shorter? The V8 yes is a Marginally shorter engine but requires more room for cooling/lubrication ect.

VN was originally intended with the Nissan engine, the V6 was a late change. A lot of VL was kept under the VN...

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 16-08-2014, 08:52 PM   #7644
FGX-302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah so a tax making imports dearer and locals cheaper wouldn't have had an effect on sales and local manufacturing lol righto. Ya make a statement on a pro ford site new falcon forum about basically the only decent engine this countries designed and produced in a long time and have to defend it from opinions that half make no sense. Not all Aussies have your new age opinions which are part reason why both these good cars are out of here in a few years. Over it. Enjoy your imports.
Old 16-08-2014, 08:55 PM   #7645
Bobman
Regulator

Quote:
Your point was a falcon could have a shorter nose look and handle better with a V6.
You seem to forget the VN-VZ were based on a near-identical design in Europe though.

Has nothing to do with what Holden Australia chose and these Opel Omegas (what the VN-VZ was based on) had straight sixes in them too!

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2014, 08:57 PM   #7646
FGX-302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so now your basically saying a RB30's heaps longer than the V8's? Hence the long nose like the falcon from VN too VF. Hmmmmm whatever u say.
Old 16-08-2014, 09:11 PM   #7647
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Hi people , I need help, I’m looking for the thread about the last ever Falcon, I thought it was here somewhere but I can’t seem to find it ?.
galaxy xr8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2014, 09:11 PM   #7648
FGX-302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

U seem to forget there's been a VE and VF since still not much difference. This is way off topic lol. Talkin ford vs holden it's a shame holden has never had a decent 6 to have a go at the I6T then we might be able to compare the commi 6 in handling to the long engined falcon lmao :-D
Old 16-08-2014, 09:19 PM   #7649
AndyXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8 View Post
Hi people , I need help, I’m looking for the thread about the last ever Falcon, I thought it was here somewhere but I can’t seem to find it ?.
Wrong thread mate, this is the "lets talk about commodores some more" thread
AndyXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 16-08-2014, 09:23 PM   #7650
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Quote:
U seem to forget there's been a VE and VF since still not much difference. This is way off topic lol. Talkin ford vs holden it's a shame holden has never had a decent 6 to have a go at the I6T then we might be able to compare the commi 6 in handling to the long engined falcon lmao :-D
VE was a clean sheet design, basically shares nothing with the other commodores. Engine location was shifted behind the front wheels and front overhang shortened.

\≡≡T≡≡/
4 users like this post: