Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 08-04-2011, 05:58 PM   #1
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Default Re: AFF Weight Gain/Loss Program

February 8th 2011:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-WORKN
I guess i'll throw my name into the weight loss category. Bit of background ofcourse...

I'm 21 atm, started working in a factory doing labouring and working on a process line about a year ago which kept up my daily fitness. I then started driving machines around the warehouse which basically kept me sitting down most of the day.
On top of this, a mate got me hooked on energy drinks and I found myself to be drinking up to 5 a day (mother, V, redbull etc).

I started stacking on the weight hardcore. I made myself a new years resolution to get in shape this year and get extremely fit which i'm on my way to achieving.

Since Jan 1st i've cut out all junkfood. No fast food, fish and chips etc, no soft drink. The only thing I drink is water. No alcohol and I don't smoke. Healthy breakfast, small lunch and a healthy dinner (still live at home so whatever the family is having for dinner is what I eat, but it's not crap. Usually meat and lots of mixed salad in the summer and meat and 3 veg the rest of the time).

I purchased a treadmill about 2 and a half weeks ago and average about 10 - 12kms a day on it. Power walking at a pretty steep incline and I feel great.

The more i'm on it the further I want to push myself, and would like to start running on the treadmill sometime soon as well.

Weight at January 1st was roughly 100kgs and am now sitting at 94kgs.

Just checking in to look back on this thread weekly and report. I welcome all suggestions, criticism and any tips people might have!
March 8th 2011:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-WORKN
Thought i'd give a little update. It's been one month since the quoted above.

Started using the home gym, weights and treadmill.
Cut back down on the treadmill to 30mins (3.5kms) a day rather than 2hrs (11kms) as I was getting really run down and was always tired. It wasn't something that I could continually sustain.

Seems to be working well for me. I was at 94kgs on the 8th of Feb and currently weigh 87kgs. Once I started using the gym and dumbells i've really started to feel better, plus i'm getting comments from relatives and co-workers. Which is good to hear.

Hope everyone else's weight loss/gain program is going good.
April 8th 2011:

Another month, another update...

Since the start of March a little has changed in my "routine". I don't do 5 days in a row cardio like previously but am doing 3 days a week on the treadmill at 6km/h. Works out to be a little over 3kms and I have the treadmill inclined as high as it can go (20)

I've been using the home gym about twice a week to get my upper body sorted out and have been throwing in free weight exercises and sit ups everyday.

Still eating healthy ofcourse. Since I started this adventure I have not eaten McDonalds, KFC or any of that junk. The temptation is always there though, but I'm not going to give in to it.
No soft drink, alcohol, smoking (don't anyway) or condiments on anything. Sugar, sauce, salt & pepper are non existent.

Drinking about 3 - 5 litres of water a day and I eat so much fruit there's a good chance the state is going to run out..

No joke, I actually had a dream about apples about 2 weeks ago.

Jumped on the scales this morning, 78kgs. Very happy with that. I'm going to push myself like crazy this month to get down to 70 and then take it easy after that as I'll be at an ideal weight/size I feel comfortable at hopefully.

I feel GREAT about myself these days, and it never gets old having people at work look at me and tell me I've lost weight.

That's about it for now, looking forward to this month as I'm pumped and going to go all out. Update to come in 4 weeks.

Last edited by chrisfpv; 08-04-2011 at 06:05 PM.
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2011, 04:18 PM   #2
chrisfpv

Default Re: AFF Weight Gain/Loss Program

February 8th 2011:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfpv
I guess i'll throw my name into the weight loss category. Bit of background ofcourse...

I'm 21 atm, started working in a factory doing labouring and working on a process line about a year ago which kept up my daily fitness. I then started driving machines around the warehouse which basically kept me sitting down most of the day.
On top of this, a mate got me hooked on energy drinks and I found myself to be drinking up to 5 a day (mother, V, redbull etc).

I started stacking on the weight hardcore. I made myself a new years resolution to get in shape this year and get extremely fit which i'm on my way to achieving.

Since Jan 1st i've cut out all junkfood. No fast food, fish and chips etc, no soft drink. The only thing I drink is water. No alcohol and I don't smoke. Healthy breakfast, small lunch and a healthy dinner (still live at home so whatever the family is having for dinner is what I eat, but it's not crap. Usually meat and lots of mixed salad in the summer and meat and 3 veg the rest of the time).

I purchased a treadmill about 2 and a half weeks ago and average about 10 - 12kms a day on it. Power walking at a pretty steep incline and I feel great.

The more i'm on it the further I want to push myself, and would like to start running on the treadmill sometime soon as well.

Weight at January 1st was roughly 100kgs and am now sitting at 94kgs.

Just checking in to look back on this thread weekly and report. I welcome all suggestions, criticism and any tips people might have!
March 8th 2011:
Quote:
Thought i'd give a little update. It's been one month since the quoted above.

Started using the home gym, weights and treadmill.
Cut back down on the treadmill to 30mins (3.5kms) a day rather than 2hrs (11kms) as I was getting really run down and was always tired. It wasn't something that I could continually sustain.

Seems to be working well for me. I was at 94kgs on the 8th of Feb and currently weigh 87kgs. Once I started using the gym and dumbells i've really started to feel better, plus i'm getting comments from relatives and co-workers. Which is good to hear.

Hope everyone else's weight loss/gain program is going good.
April 8th 2011:
Quote:
Another month, another update...

Since the start of March a little has changed in my "routine". I don't do 5 days in a row cardio like previously but am doing 3 days a week on the treadmill at 6km/h. Works out to be a little over 3kms and I have the treadmill inclined as high as it can go (20)

I've been using the home gym about twice a week to get my upper body sorted out and have been throwing in free weight exercises and sit ups everyday.

Still eating healthy ofcourse. Since I started this adventure I have not eaten McDonalds, KFC or any of that junk. The temptation is always there though, but I'm not going to give in to it.
No soft drink, alcohol, smoking (don't anyway) or condiments on anything. Sugar, sauce, salt & pepper are non existent.

Drinking about 3 - 5 litres of water a day and I eat so much fruit there's a good chance the state is going to run out..

No joke, I actually had a dream about apples about 2 weeks ago.

Jumped on the scales this morning, 78kgs. Very happy with that. I'm going to push myself like crazy this month to get down to 70 and then take it easy after that as I'll be at an ideal weight/size I feel comfortable at hopefully.

I feel GREAT about myself these days, and it never gets old having people at work look at me and tell me I've lost weight.

That's about it for now, looking forward to this month as I'm pumped and going to go all out. Update to come in 4 weeks.
May 8th 2011:
Here we are again. Another month another update.

My routine hasn't changed much. I've been mixing up running and walking on the treadmill in 2 - 3 minute intervals or so just to add some variety to my routine.
Still eating good. No fast food. Alot of fruit and salads.
No soft drink, cordial or alcohol. No sugar, salt, pepper or sauces of any kind (except if it is for dinner as I don't have any control over what is cooked in my house).

The local Subway knows me very well now haha, my usual lunch order of Turkey on wheat bread with lettuce, tomato, carrot, cucumber, onions and capsicum has been doing me good as last year it was always a large meal from KFC or Red Rooster.

Current weight? 71kgs and a BMI of 21.9 which is super!

My goal has been 70kgs but I feel great with what I'm doing I'll keep cracking at my usual routine for another month then back off a bit most likely.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:47 PM   #3
loosey

XR: start lifting some weights otherwise your bmr will drop too low and you'll end up worse off than before. I'd also suggest having six smaller size meals rather than 3 large ones (it'll get your metabolism moving). Also try to have protein in each meal (fish, milk, lean meat, cottage cheese etc).

EDIT: for anyone serious about losing fat I suggest reading this: http://ptcfrankston.com/doc/newslett...IssueNo37.html

Last edited by loosey; 08-02-2011 at 08:57 PM.
loosey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2011, 09:12 PM   #4
chrisfpv

Quote:
Originally Posted by motionless_xe
XR: start lifting some weights otherwise your bmr will drop too low and you'll end up worse off than before. I'd also suggest having six smaller size meals rather than 3 large ones (it'll get your metabolism moving). Also try to have protein in each meal (fish, milk, lean meat, cottage cheese etc).

EDIT: for anyone serious about losing fat I suggest reading this: http://ptcfrankston.com/doc/newslett...IssueNo37.html
Thanks for the advice, pretty decent read too. Rep coming your way mate.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:45 PM   #5
vibe_xr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well, there are some non believers out there, the same as my brother, he wont touch creatine etc, but when you work biceps etc and you want to work them hard but not many reps as this was the way i was taught, you need something else to push you that little bit further, and in my eyes this stuff worked for me, but anyway, its up to your self, all i can say is 3-4 days a week, sleep alot, eat alot of ok stuff ( steak etc ) and keep at it, i was going for 18 months straight, i have since slacked off and i regret it, as they say if you dont use it, you loose it. good luck all
p.s. i done chest, triceps and back monday, arms and forearms and shoulders on wednesday, and legs on friday, that was my routine for some that was asking before
Old 09-02-2011, 10:28 AM   #6
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Lift heavy sh17, eat meat, sleep.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2011, 11:37 AM   #7
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

haha, my mate bought a big tub of hydroxyrip and started using it over the last 3 weeks. Sayd it does nothing for him as he wants to get bigger. The thing is he tells me he hasnt done any working out at all.

I dont use any powders etc. The only thing I may occasionally do is add a bit of the powerade premix in my water bottle prior to doing a indoor cycling class. I find it helps me to stop getting dizzy spells. Not sure what I am lacking when that happens. But find the little bit of sugar just stabilizes things and I can push harder.

Any suggestions?

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2011, 12:16 PM   #8
-Slayer-
BOSPWR

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
haha, my mate bought a big tub of hydroxyrip and started using it over the last 3 weeks. Sayd it does nothing for him as he wants to get bigger. The thing is he tells me he hasnt done any working out at all.

I dont use any powders etc. The only thing I may occasionally do is add a bit of the powerade premix in my water bottle prior to doing a indoor cycling class. I find it helps me to stop getting dizzy spells. Not sure what I am lacking when that happens. But find the little bit of sugar just stabilizes things and I can push harder.

Any suggestions?
probably means your body is lacking in salts (electrolytes) Salt is vital in the body, it aids in balancing blood sugar levels, extraction of excess acidity from the cells of the body, particularly the brain cells, also helps with muscle cramps.
so you could either have the Gatorade that has the electrolytes (probably not your best option) or start having yourself some natural sea salt (Celtic sea salt) with meals and water(but not enough to taste in your water)or you could even try Evian water, its abit dearer but thats because it contains natural minerals that the body requires.

-Slayer- is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2011, 12:22 PM   #9
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Slayer-
probably means your body is lacking in salts (electrolytes) Salt is vital in the body, it aids in balancing blood sugar levels, extraction of excess acidity from the cells of the body, particularly the brain cells, also helps with muscle cramps.
so you could either have the Gatorade that has the electrolytes (probably not your best option) or start having yourself some natural sea salt (Celtic sea salt) with meals and water(but not enough to taste in your water)or you could even try Evian water, its abit dearer but thats because it contains natural minerals that the body requires.
Thanks mate. I'd rather not use Powerade/Gatorade poweder etc. I know it has a lot of sugar in it and its bloody pricey to use as often I go to the gym.

I might just add the salt you suggested and see what happens. I notice I get cramps in my mid section after about 20mins into my workout and its annoying. The electrolyte stuff helps that too. Will indeed be adding some sea salt to my water.

I also have tried the Evian water, but didn't notice much. Perhaps it helped but at the price you pay for Evian it's a luxury rather than a need. Will stick with filtered water and add the sea salt.

Cheers mate

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 09-02-2011, 06:29 PM   #10
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

I've been considering buying some dumb bells for home. Just for those days where I can make it to the gym so I can at least do a bit.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:26 PM   #11
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

What are you looking to get out of from your workout's XR ?
Or what is your aim ?.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2011, 06:54 PM   #12
chrisfpv

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
What are you looking to get out of from your workout's XR ?
Or what is your aim ?.
The straight answer is to become fit and feel good about myself.

I'm looking to lose a decent amount of weight and tone my body so that I look and feel good. For the last 3 or so years every January I've said the exact same thing, but have been too lazy to follow it through until this year so i'm really going to push myself hard and do everything right so in 6 - 12 months from now I can look back and smile.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:12 PM   #13
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Personally I think you would be better of with something like this and free weight's, this is what I have,
http://www.bodycraft.com/
Under strength - free weight equipement - the F340 power cage.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:16 PM   #14
chrisfpv

Looks interesting, what kind of workout do you do mate?
Old 11-02-2011, 07:28 PM   #15
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I do power/strength training, I focus on Bench/squat's and deadlift's and then any other exercise's like chin up's/dip's/bent over row's, mainly the basic full body movement's that actually build muscle.

The reason I posted above is that if you are seriously looking to build muscle and gain strength , sorry to say but you will not get your full potential by using that style of gym equipement, your money is better spent on other equipement and techniques.

But if your just after some fitness then start pumping when it arrives.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:39 PM   #16
chrisfpv

No worries man appreciate the feedback, different things for different people. Sounds like you do some pretty serious stuff too.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:46 PM   #17
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

No worries mate, aslong as you enjoy doing what ever you do and keep at it.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:23 PM   #18
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Alright my fellow AFF Fitness/Weightloss partners..

I had my first Gridiron practice today and apart from feeling small on the field for the first time that i have ever played sport (im 6ft2 and 100Kgs...) i need some out of practice training trips.

I need to find explosive leg power & speed, im pretty strong in my upper body and alright working on core strength at the gym but what cardio excercise can a do to improve in short burst power?

I was thinking just sprints, uphill runs and suicides?

Any other tips?

Feel great to be part of a team again, but jeez it's a shock to the body after 6 years out of a contact sport.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2011, 02:15 PM   #19
-Slayer-
BOSPWR

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
Alright my fellow AFF Fitness/Weightloss partners..

I had my first Gridiron practice today and apart from feeling small on the field for the first time that i have ever played sport (im 6ft2 and 100Kgs...) i need some out of practice training trips.

I need to find explosive leg power & speed, im pretty strong in my upper body and alright working on core strength at the gym but what cardio excercise can a do to improve in short burst power?

I was thinking just sprints, uphill runs and suicides?

Any other tips?

Feel great to be part of a team again, but jeez it's a shock to the body after 6 years out of a contact sport.
all of them will help you, try doing explosive leg workouts, ie with squats, keeping good form at all time, go down really slow, with an explosive up
(while maintaining correct form and posture)
try doing some interval running, treadmill, oval wherever, start with a 2-3 min jog to warm up the legs, then give an all out run for about 40 seconds, then back down to a slow jog or fast walk until you feel that your heart rate is back down to normal then smash out another 40 second all out, do this to start around 6-8 times, the more you do this the quicker the recovery will be between your all out 40 seconds spurts, which is what you will need playing this kind of sport, one minute you will be just cruising around the field and then you will explode into a flat out run for probably less than a minute at a time and then back to walking around etc.

Old 13-02-2011, 04:24 PM   #20
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Cheers Slayer, with the squats would i be better off swapping to say 5 sets of 5 reps or going to a lighter weight and pressing out 3 sets of 10 quick reps?

With the running i think i'll go to the local oval, i hate treadmills unless its just for a consistant jog.

I'd say the longest spring would be a 30 second interval on the field and lucky for me i have plenty of ovals and running track nearby.

any other advice more than welcome.
Old 13-02-2011, 06:25 PM   #21
-Slayer-
BOSPWR

Quote:
Cheers Slayer, with the squats would i be better off swapping to say 5 sets of 5 reps or going to a lighter weight and pressing out 3 sets of 10 quick reps?

With the running i think i'll go to the local oval, i hate treadmills unless its just for a consistant jog.

I'd say the longest spring would be a 30 second interval on the field and lucky for me i have plenty of ovals and running track nearby.

any other advice more than welcome.

I would start with a lighter weight to make sure you are doing a correct squats, and best to do 3-4 sets and 8-10 reps, and try to slowly increase the weight each week, and every 4-5 weeks change up the routine so your muscles are always being challenged.
Good to see that you have plenty of ovals around to do some training on.which area are your from in Melbourne??

Old 13-02-2011, 07:57 PM   #22
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Im already doing squats with pretty good form Slayer i was meaning in regards to specificly for this type of training.

I live in Traralgon in the Latrobe valley about a 4min walk from 3 Large Football ovals and a 3Km running track with a killer hill.
Old 13-02-2011, 09:07 PM   #23
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Well after a big weekend celebrating my 12th anniversary. I admit my eating was on hiatus. But back to it as of tommorow.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 14-02-2011, 10:29 AM   #24
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Anyone do floor wipers?

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex

Old 14-02-2011, 10:42 AM   #25
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
Anyone do floor wipers?
Windscreen washer's/floor wiper's same thing, yeah why ?.
Old 14-02-2011, 01:55 PM   #26
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Anyone do burpees?

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 14-02-2011, 02:16 PM   #27
-Slayer-
BOSPWR

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
Anyone do burpees?
there amazing lol, not many people like them tho.

Old 14-02-2011, 02:40 PM   #28
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Slayer-
there amazing lol, not many people like them tho.

Because they are the devil..
Old 14-02-2011, 03:13 PM   #29
-Slayer-
BOSPWR

Quote:
Because they are the devil..
they sure are and if you wana do them harder, do a push up at the bottom, then jump up, or if you wana go alil harder grab a set of dumbbells go down push up then shoulder press at the top

Old 14-02-2011, 02:33 PM   #30
blueoval
Critical Thinker

I hate them. But I tell ya what it gets the heart rate going very very quickly

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8