Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 08-02-2012, 11:29 PM   #811
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Default Re: Who works in the mines and what doing

Yeah resuce, HR, general Admin, planners (they use SAP), medical staff, cleaners.

I heard a little rumour that the camp I am at is expanding to another 3000 rooms...this place would employee alot of people too...cooks, reception, gym people etc etc
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2012, 11:38 PM   #812
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
do the roadranger.. bit of a hoot and good experience to have...
Crunchy crunchity crunch

Just follow my trail of broken teeth on the road

I'll give it a shot anyways, no harm in trying, plus if I learn how to do it, I can drive some ancient POS just in case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
and last question thingy bit.. yessum they do.. lots of positions like that...

its not all just digging holes.. plenty of support jobs behind the scenes...
Awesome, another workmate is actually a qualified search and rescue/paramedic back in his home country, but Australia doesn't recognise his qualifications and degrees here (even though he is trained to a much higher standard than our paramedics and they refer to their books in our degree ), they don't happen to do FIFO roles for that sort of stuff would they or would take him on based on his experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Yeah resuce, HR, general Admin, planners (they use SAP), medical staff, cleaners.

I heard a little rumour that the camp I am at is expanding to another 3000 rooms...this place would employee alot of people too...cooks, reception, gym people etc etc
Awesome, if I couldn't get into some sort of technical role, I'd certainly go into what ever you guys refer to as the "office" or cleaner type jobs.

HR license comes first though, and I can sit for it in March, happy times.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2012, 11:55 PM   #813
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yep.. roadranger crunch city.....

once you get the hang though youre rocking up and down them gears bro...
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2012, 07:19 AM   #814
tregs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whats a loader operator get paid in the mines ?
I was in wa a few years ago driving road trains but thinking about going back if it's worth it .
Old 09-02-2012, 09:32 AM   #815
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Lots
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2012, 12:08 PM   #816
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tregs
Whats a loader operator get paid in the mines ?
I was in wa a few years ago driving road trains but thinking about going back if it's worth it .
I think it's well worth it, i would scan up a payslip but that would just be bragging...
Old 09-02-2012, 12:16 PM   #817
Torment47
Mr Hoon

My dads in Kalgoorlie mines - Dump truck driver (those things are the size of Mini houses!!) hes on about 95k a year(training) after 6 months the package goes up, he said if i get my truck license he can talk to someone in his field and try setting me up with a job there XD!!!!!!!!!
Torment47 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2012, 12:21 PM   #818
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torment47
My dads in Kalgoorlie mines - Dump truck driver (those things are the size of Mini houses!!) hes on about 95k a year(training) after 6 months the package goes up, he said if i get my truck license he can talk to someone in his field and try setting me up with a job there XD!!!!!!!!!
how many hours a week is he doing.

my package is close to that and im a carpenter is sydney doing 40 hours a week.

are the mines really worth being so far away for 95k
Giant Cranium is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2012, 01:24 PM   #819
tregs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Who do you work for. ?
Old 09-02-2012, 06:05 PM   #820
gtfpv
GT

yeah iu understand about big $$$$$ in mining etc etc . but does it reaaly pay more . for example what if giant cranium does 15hrs OT per week on top of his 95K ? miners are doing how many hours per week inclusive of overtime and time off .
i'm in sydney and i guess i would not be far off what i would earn in the mines as a tradesman .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2012, 06:10 PM   #821
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6menace
I think it's well worth it, i would scan up a payslip but that would just be bragging...

dont scan any payslips XR6menace . FEMALE EYES might watching , and if theyre not they have a habbit of seeking out money ,so soon numerous female eyes will come across this post, in which case you would quickly be tearing your pay slip in 1/2 and then adding some debt to it . heheheh .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2012, 06:38 PM   #822
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
yeah iu understand about big $$$$$ in mining etc etc . but does it reaaly pay more . for example what if giant cranium does 15hrs OT per week on top of his 95K ? miners are doing how many hours per week inclusive of overtime and time off .
i'm in sydney and i guess i would not be far off what i would earn in the mines as a tradesman .
that many different deals out there it ain't funny.. some may make that 95k 40hr look good and others earning scary mf money......
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #823
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Man the miners/operators have it pretty good at our place.

7 on 7 off...so they work less than HALF the year and are all on crazy coin. But it is underground and I nearly saw a bloke die the other week....thats mining.

(dont get me wrong safety is HUUUUUUUUUUUUGE).
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 09-02-2012, 10:38 PM   #824
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

95 would be at the lower end of the scale / training wages we are very close to 150 plus all the perks , and most mines are on even time , so 6/6 7/7 etc days on to days off with 12 1/2 hour shifts and I'm a dink ( double income no kids ) .
And I would still consider ourselves at the lower middle of it all .
I know plenty that are on half to double what we get
Old 09-02-2012, 11:07 PM   #825
mrghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so how many of you guys out there have a young family? I would love to drive the dump trucks but im not sure how i would got as i have a 2yr old. I'm not to sure if i should wait a little while when he grows up a little bit
Old 09-02-2012, 11:18 PM   #826
Torment47
Mr Hoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Cranium
how many hours a week is he doing.

my package is close to that and im a carpenter is sydney doing 40 hours a week.

are the mines really worth being so far away for 95k
Yeah he's doing 7 days on 7 days off!! i think the hours are between 10-12 a day. hes got a 4 year old with him aswell.
hes on 95k as part of his training package, after 6 months it goes up and after a year it goes up again and that's when they get contracts i think.
hes with the company KCGM, i think thats in the top 8 mining company's
Old 09-02-2012, 11:25 PM   #827
Torment47
Mr Hoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrghia
so how many of you guys out there have a young family? I would love to drive the dump trucks but im not sure how i would got as i have a 2yr old. I'm not to sure if i should wait a little while when he grows up a little bit
Dude, as i said my dad's got a 4 year old, and once your in your set, i think my had had his HR for a little under 2 years then upgraded his licence to HC.

I think it's just the life you've gotta get use to living across there, ive got 2 jobs, i can't stand been at home for more than 1 day, so if i was getting 7 off.. i'd probley go overseas or do a part time cource.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:05 AM   #828
Road Games

Job Search Advice that EVERY Job Seeker Needs

The start of a new year often means job seekers are at their most active – keen for fresh challenges and a potential new job. As you embark on your job search, here are a few less obvious tips for you to think about. It’s often the smaller details we overlook, yet can determine our job search success.

Think about EVERY touch point the recruiter has with you and what impact each interaction may have. For example, ensure your email address is professional (email addresses like dancewithsatan@.com are not appropriate), and that you have a voicemail message that clearly identifies who you are and when you will return calls (voicemail messages that start with long, loud rock music or crude/sexist jokes or statements will not leave a favourable impression – and my experience suggests this point is not just relevant to the younger generation!).

Your resume is about the recruiter, not YOU. This means you need to accept that your resume may only be viewed for 30 or so seconds and if you don’t cut to the chase quickly, you’ll be overlooked. In other words, no fluff and no stuff in the resume that does not align with the requirements of the role.

Do not say you are willing to do anything. It’s not the recruiter’s job to work out your ideal first or next career move – it is yours. Be clear about what you are seeking, build a resume that reflects this and target the right jobs for application.

Be VERY mindful about where you live online. Ensure your Facebook profile is closed to friends and that there is nothing online that a recruiter will find that could reflect poorly on you. We’ve had many examples where vacation students, for example, have bragged about stealing items from the workplace. If you live online, the employer can find you....or as we’ve seen in the press recently, others can be willing to share what you think is private information more broadly on your behalf!

Keep track of your applications. When you have so many applications or expressions of interest lodged, maintain a database or spreadsheet so you are prepared when you receive a call. Nothing sounds worse to a recruiter when they call, to be greeted with...”what was the job I applied for again?”

NEVER respond to a regret letter with a derogatory statement or email. Whilst the email may look like it is coming from a generic back end Company database, it is the recruiter that receives it directly. The number of times recruiters receive highly unprofessional email telling them to “*&%$ off” only confirms that they made the right decision not to select you, and generally results in a comment against your record.

And finally......the simplest tip of all. Please answer the phone with your name! It is highly frustrating to have to ask, “is this so and so” when making a call to a candidate.

Good luck with your job search.

*reposted from my inbox*
Old 10-02-2012, 05:48 PM   #829
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Anywhere in theQld mines that are looking for Experianced dozer operators ? Got a mate who has 25 years experiance on D6 and D7 Cats looking for a FIFO job............
Old 10-02-2012, 05:57 PM   #830
Road Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs
Anywhere in theQld mines that are looking for Experianced dozer operators ? Got a mate who has 25 years experiance on D6 and D7 Cats looking for a FIFO job............

There are at least 10 positions on Seek at the moment but ya need D10 and D11 + mining exp , paying upwards of $160000...
Old 10-02-2012, 11:39 PM   #831
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

What is it like working under ground?

Would you rather open cut mine or being under ground?
Old 11-02-2012, 02:23 AM   #832
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

under...more exciting
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 11-02-2012, 05:10 PM   #833
Stazza_Brendan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Underground is not for everyone. Some people freak out.
Im on just over 95+ perks. But i dont do any night shifts or weekends so that makes the base rate lower. 46Hours a week.
Perks are i dont have to drive there as its bus in and out, safety bonus, production bonus and once im off initial contract theres a 10k housing allowance.
EBA is under negotiation at the moment though.
ZF - Optioned interior - Hardlid - Rapidsystems V4.5 kit - GTX3576R - Crow Cams Valve springs - 1000cc KPM injectors - 20" MC Racing Wheels - DashDaq/Cobalt Gauges - 4in dump/3.5in exhaust system - Shockworks Coilovers - 30mm Swaybar - Shockworks 4pot 355mm front brakes - GT R-spec rear brakes
CPV Tuned to 340rwkw
Stazza_Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2012, 10:04 PM   #834
LyleXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torment47
Yeah he's doing 7 days on 7 days off!! i think the hours are between 10-12 a day. hes got a 4 year old with him aswell.
hes on 95k as part of his training package, after 6 months it goes up and after a year it goes up again and that's when they get contracts i think.
hes with the company KCGM, i think thats in the top 8 mining company's
I work at KCGM, 96k to drive a dump truck. 7 on 7 off. Some might make a lot more money but I live in my own house with the wife, takes me 10 minutes from the time I walk out the door to get through security park my car and walk into the crib room, if she needs me for anything major I can be at my car in less than 15 minutes from anywhere in the entire site, after work i go home to her, git pubs, restaurants etc all over town then at night sleep in my own bed. I consider these conditions to be far better than earning 140k+ and being 1000km from home living in a donga eating out of the pig trough everyday, I'm a chippy by trade and was on the same coin working 6 days a week with 1 day of to relax- relaxing meaning giving the lawns a tidy up, washing the cars, helping with the washing, vacuuming, spending time with the wife etc then back into it Monday morning, now I cram the same hours into 7 days then have 7 off to do what I like, I work 5-5 so I'm home by 5.20 which is by no means late in the day. In my 7 days off im doing some of my own cash chippy work so I am on about 130k a year but the chippy work is only when/if I wanna do it, I'm at the end of a 7 day break and the only time I've lifted the hammer is to hang a painting for the general manager in the lounge room, next break I might do nothing again, or I might work 5 or 6 days if I'm keen, it really is pretty cruisy for 96k a year, 7 days a months, 7 nights a month, 14 of nothing. Get 5 weeks holidays a year so in march going to NZ for 2 weeks and home to Vic for a week, take 7 days leave and have 21 days off all paid for, and still have 4 banks of 21 days to use up
LyleXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2012, 10:49 PM   #835
05_ENFORCER

That's the shiart Lyle, it's all about lifestyle mate.

Big dollars are there if you wan't to go down that route.

I've been in this game for over 20 yrs and your post is one of the best I have heard in a long time.

Old 13-02-2012, 06:20 AM   #836
druxr6t

Well the missus and I are finishing our house renovations in the next month and putting it up for sale. We figure it's a time for a change in life, so we're going over to Perth to figure out where we want to live and also where I can start applying for mining jobs!

Seen so many mining positions available, just need to get my foot in the door!!
druxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2012, 06:29 PM   #837
Reaper8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm another that is going this way. Sick of the security industry, get pay'd less than workin at Mcdonalds.
Reaper8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2012, 06:30 PM   #838
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleXR8
I work at KCGM, 96k to drive a dump truck. 7 on 7 off. Some might make a lot more money but I live in my own house with the wife, takes me 10 minutes from the time I walk out the door to get through security park my car and walk into the crib room, if she needs me for anything major I can be at my car in less than 15 minutes from anywhere in the entire site, after work i go home to her, git pubs, restaurants etc all over town then at night sleep in my own bed. I consider these conditions to be far better than earning 140k+ and being 1000km from home living in a donga eating out of the pig trough everyday, I'm a chippy by trade and was on the same coin working 6 days a week with 1 day of to relax- relaxing meaning giving the lawns a tidy up, washing the cars, helping with the washing, vacuuming, spending time with the wife etc then back into it Monday morning, now I cram the same hours into 7 days then have 7 off to do what I like, I work 5-5 so I'm home by 5.20 which is by no means late in the day. In my 7 days off im doing some of my own cash chippy work so I am on about 130k a year but the chippy work is only when/if I wanna do it, I'm at the end of a 7 day break and the only time I've lifted the hammer is to hang a painting for the general manager in the lounge room, next break I might do nothing again, or I might work 5 or 6 days if I'm keen, it really is pretty cruisy for 96k a year, 7 days a months, 7 nights a month, 14 of nothing. Get 5 weeks holidays a year so in march going to NZ for 2 weeks and home to Vic for a week, take 7 days leave and have 21 days off all paid for, and still have 4 banks of 21 days to use up
Sounds like you got to have your own cake and eat it too, is it just this particular role which is associated with that roster?
Old 27-02-2012, 06:39 PM   #839
Road Games

Recently shifted from 21 on 8 off to an equal 7/7 roster but on Nightshift with YORK !

I had my car booked in for $$$$$ to be spent as well but i have had a serious rethink now about my future and how important my car mods are compared to the BIGGER picture ...
Old 27-02-2012, 08:27 PM   #840
Torment47
Mr Hoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleXR8
WOW! that's pretty good you have your schedule worked out, my dad stays somewhere in Kalgoorlie with his wife n kid and does the 7 on 7 off, i think he's happy with that.
Lyle, do you know many people on site? if so any Graham's??