Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 10-06-2010, 11:33 AM   #61
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fled74
So what does the new iPhone have? Video calling? 5MP camera with all the trimmings? Hi-res video? Multitasking? My second-generation Nokia N95 8GB did all that (and then some) fresh out of the box more than two years ago.

When I do upgrade, it'll be to the N9.

I had one of the first N95s and am in the market now to replace it. It’s been brilliant and never given any trouble. When I replace my phone I like to move the game on a bit and I have felt as you do that there really hasn't been much in the way of advancement in a total package.

Over the last 18 months I have had an IPod touch 32 and use it extensively for many functions. While I initially didn't like the size of the Iphone I pretty much carry the touch around all the time. It makes sense for me to now consider this V4 iphone as some of the features that matter to me have finally caught up especially considering the PC and Lap top have the software for ITunes and I have the chargers and so on. That in no way takes away from the excellent presentation of the “I” products. I must also say that I feel the apple product is generally of a higher build quality.

When using the itouch wi fi it has been a constant irritation to encounter flash based sites that can't be accessed. Seems like there is always a compromise with the Iphone to date and I don’t embrace compromise that well when it come to consumables.

Another phone that has been in my radar is the SE X3, but its released with the android 1.6 instead of the 2.0 that most seem to rave about. SE have pretty much always had a decent phone and have moved to 8mpix with this new model.

I have always had nokia but this Sony Ericson and the new Iphone on my shopping list.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2010, 12:38 PM   #62
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always keen to get on board and help others along the way 

Same HSE2, i always had a Nokia until i brought my first iPhone 3G. Being a good phone and i like how yoou can reboot the software if you have a problem and the touch screen once you get use to it is great. Will definitley get the iPhone 4 next month when my contract is up to replace my 3G model but i admit there is better phones available but they have to much crap i wouldnt use day to day.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:42 PM   #63
ROLLI
KEEPUP

I will be upgrading my 3G iphone even tho its still going strong but the sound of the better battery life is heaven my phone barely last 8 hours. I dont think I will go back to a Nokia for a long time.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:13 PM   #64
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always keen to get on board and help others along the way 

http://www.zdnet.com.au/telstra-vha-...-339303715.htm

Above link has info that shows interest for 3, Vodafone and Telstra customers
Old 10-06-2010, 02:17 PM   #65
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

This V4 iphone sounds good and looks nice. I currently have a Nokia E71 and at the time it was better for me than a 3GS. Battery life for me is crucial. I didnt want to keep looking for a wall socket to charge my phone every place I went. I just dont have the time to fool around with plugging it in all the time. But if this V4 iphone is as good as they say then I will consider it when my contract runs out. Which is still 16months away. :

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2010, 06:41 PM   #66
Rastus
XY,XC,XEx2,XA,EF,AU,BA,XY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel
iPhones generally have pretty good reception compared to most run of the mill mobiles, but having said that yes it will have improved reception.

I think your main problem is being on Optus; get with Telstra if you want the best reception...
I am all over the place with work and my interests... always on full 3G reception.
I'm liking the look of the iPhone 4, and it'd be a good replacement for my iPhone 3G. Don't need it, the 3G is still running great, battery included...and as a s**tstir I just jailbroke it last night
Best thing I ever did was get out of my Optus contract and whack it on Telstra Prepaid. (Used the written invoices charge as a get out) I shoulda known better, knowing that the iPhone 3G used 850/1900/2100Mhz, whereas Optus use 900/1900/2100mhz.
Being in Ballarat, I was lucky to get a sniff of the 2100 here, but it was that flakey, ie: 1 bar, and as soon as a call come in it dropped back to 2G. So much for their coverage maps! Outside of Ballarat it was 2G everywhere of course.
On Telstra it's pretty much full bars everywhere!
The V4 will have Quad Band 3G, so Optus and the rest mightn't be so bad this time around. (gains 900Mhz, Optus' country areas).
All in all, they're the easiest phones to use.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:49 PM   #67
JC807
sucksqueezebangblow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Was gonna wait for the iPhone4 but IMO i think it will have it faults like the first one, so i just went and got a new 3GS 3 weeks ago.
yeah i did the same, got my 3GS weeks ago too. i can get 2 days standby with about 3.5 hours usage during this time, so i'm happy.
works easy with my MacBook, i'm using the iCal feature instead of lugging my diary around for work now.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:57 PM   #68
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wish i had the same luck as you Rastus, been stuck on this bloody useless $79 (+$4 for phone) Optus contract for ages and doesn't come out till next April. Learned to just suck it up and wait for now. Can't wait to upgrade even though theres nothing wrong with the 3G
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2010, 06:57 PM   #69
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Looking forward to getting out of my optus contract, (expires july 1 2010) so will be looking at either Vodafone / Telstra or 3 (heard 3 run off Telstra network?)

Optus just gives me too many 'blackspots' and 2G reception or sometimes no reception at all. Wife has a 3GS with Vodafone and always has 3G reception.

Anyone got pros or cons for the above networks?
Old 10-06-2010, 07:12 PM   #70
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I'm considering the new iPhone or a HTC HD2.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2010, 07:47 PM   #71
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote V8
Looking forward to getting out of my optus contract, (expires july 1 2010) so will be looking at either Vodafone / Telstra or 3 (heard 3 run off Telstra network?)
With 3 you can switch over to the Telstra network but be prepared to be shafted if you do. If you need the coverage then Telstra, but you will pay for it.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:38 PM   #72
IgKNIGHTer
GOGO mobile

I never really did my research on the iphone's, but do like some of the apps that are available, and the easy use of the phone. I don't have one, but do intend on getting the iphone 4. I have been out of contract with my phone company for about 4months, and they have called me up trying to give me an iphone 3gs...I have been waiting for this one.

One thing I do ask is,
I notice when mates get a message it appears on the main screen, and able to be read by anyone ... Don't like that idea. Can that be changed?
Also, what is the massive diff between 3G and 3GS?
No doubt an iphone 4GS will be available in the future...

Cheers
Old 12-06-2010, 02:42 PM   #73
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgKNIGHTer
I never really did my research on the iphone's, but do like some of the apps that are available, and the easy use of the phone. I don't have one, but do intend on getting the iphone 4. I have been out of contract with my phone company for about 4months, and they have called me up trying to give me an iphone 3gs...I have been waiting for this one.

One thing I do ask is,
I notice when mates get a message it appears on the main screen, and able to be read by anyone ... Don't like that idea. Can that be changed?
Also, what is the massive diff between 3G and 3GS?
No doubt an iphone 4GS will be available in the future...

Cheers
Yes it can be changed. There's a setting you can choose to have on which will show you a preview to your message. I have mine off.
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
FRDGAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2010, 02:49 PM   #74
IgKNIGHTer
GOGO mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRDGAL
Yes it can be changed. There's a setting you can choose to have on which will show you a preview to your message. I have mine off.
Cool.

Thanks.

Old 19-06-2010, 06:45 AM   #75
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Still a load of crap. Iphones are only good for little refinements that's it.

I have a 3GS and it's extremely limited, everything apple is.

All due to closed source ********. No flash, can't download through safari, can't play flac, .avi files, custom apps.

Saw a video regarding the launch of the ipad a few months back, the CEO had the nerve to call it the "ultimate browsing experience". When it can't even support flash meaning it's actually one of the worst browsers available.
The scumbag should be shot. Thousands will buy it based on his slander.
Old 19-06-2010, 08:33 AM   #76
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLaViTaR

Care to explain how everything Apple is limited? OSX is built on BSD which is a very open OS. Actually, if you're a unix guy the Macs are the machine to own. Plus you can get a free copy of the Unix/OSX development tools, unlike MS which charges you for the privilege.

As for flash, the sooner that POS is gone from the web the better.....
cs123 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2010, 08:52 AM   #77
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thousands will buy it based on his slander.
Quote:
So why did you buy an Iphone? Didn't you do your own research, or buy based on his comments.

Why would you listen to the guy who's only interest is selling his own product. Why wouldn't you talk it up. Is he going to annouce the Iphone is crap, you should buy a Nokia.

Like cars, you try before you buy. I played with some Iphones before hand, found it did nearly everything I wanted it too. Which is all I needed. Flash, it's annoying not having it because it restricts my browsing, but I have a PC at home to do all that.

I love my 3GS. Best phone I've ever owned.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2010, 10:21 AM   #78
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

iGreat!!
iA whole new round of complaints in the FG - What problems have you had thread.
iCan't wait.
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2010, 10:26 AM   #79
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
I think my mrs will enjoy my 3GS, I want an iPhone 4!.

I'm by no means a fanboi, but that is seriously so much better than anything else out there.
Now thats the understatement of the decade.
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2010, 12:11 PM   #80
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Android seems a much much better alternative to iOS (what a crappy name)
My next phone will be between HTC legend and desire.

an iPhone is only good if you jailbreak it
Old 20-06-2010, 10:20 PM   #81
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

My HTC HD2 is coming in tomorrow afternoon:

Its the one in the middle, current gen iPhone is next to it on the right.

Review here:

http://pocketnow.com/review/htc-hd2
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2010, 11:20 AM   #82
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Just downloaded and installed iOS4. The OS is getting rather bulky now weighing in at 378MB, which from memory is a full 100MB up on the old OS. It's well worth it though, I've gone from 5 pages of apps that was bloody cluttered to one page of folders. This is how it should have been right from the start. My only complaint with the folders is that you can only fit 12 apps per folder. Makes it hard if you have a lot of the one sort of app, games for example.

Email is better with accounts segregated as opposed to all in the one inbox, makes it viable for business now. Multi Tasking is a basic thing to have and really shouldn't have taken this long to have, that being said it does it well.

Customizable home screen wallpaper (not just lock screen) is nice and makes it feel just that little more personal and fresh. Somehow they also seem to have made what was already a smooth operating system even smoother. Any hint of clunkiness is now gone. The 5x digital zoom for the camera is a bit of a gimmick on my 3GS as it only has a 3MP camera, might be a good thing on the iPhone 4 with its 5MP camera though.

All in all this is a very good update, another good thing about the iPhone is that this actually gets done. Unlike some other phones where what you buy is what it is the iPhone changes to the latest and greatest.

EDIT: There's been some reports of a few bugs and issues with iOS4 such as slow download & install times. Mine took 20 minutes to download the 378mB file over a wireless optus broadband connection and another 10 to do the install. No bugs found as yet either.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2010, 11:23 AM   #83
GavL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Just downloaded and installed iOS4. The OS is getting rather bulky now weighing in at 378MB, which from memory is a full 100MB up on the old OS. It's well worth it though, I've gone from 5 pages of apps that was bloody cluttered to one page of folders. This is how it should have been right from the start. My only complaint with the folders is that you can only fit 12 apps per folder. Makes it hard if you have a lot of the one sort of app, games for example.

Email is better with accounts segregated as opposed to all in the one inbox, makes it viable for business now. Multi Tasking is a basic thing to have and really shouldn't have taken this long to have, that being said it does it well.

Customizable home screen wallpaper (not just lock screen) is nice and makes it feel just that little more personal and fresh. Somehow they also seem to have made what was already a smooth operating system even smoother. Any hint of clunkiness is now gone. The 5x digital zoom for the camera is a bit of a gimmick on my 3GS as it only has a 3MP camera, might be a good thing on the iPhone 4 with its 5MP camera though.

All in all this is a very good update, another good thing about the iPhone is that this actually gets done. Unlike some other phones where what you buy is what it is the iPhone changes to the latest and greatest.
Good to hear an initial review of the software. I'll be updating mine when I get home from work tonight (phone syncs with my PC at home). Unfortunately only having a 3G at the moment will restrict me to only a bit of the new functionality, it'll be interesting to see what I'll actually get.

BAII XR6 in SHOCKWAVE
5SP Manual | Sports Leather Seats | Premium Sound | Dual Zone Climate Control | Sunroof | Reverse Sensors | 18" XR8 Wheels | XR6T Exhaust | Lowered | XR6T Intake | GT Steering Wheel

AUIII XR8 in NAROOMA BLUE
Info to come soon!
GavL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2010, 12:59 PM   #84
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

ios4 released (292mb).

Enables multi-tasking, home screen wallpapers etc etc

Multi-tasking and home screen wallpapers not available for 3G iphones (only 3GS and IP4) However after jail breaking my iphone 3G mutli-tasking and home screen wallpapers work FINE, doesnt slow the phone down at all! However Apple thought it did so they disabled it for original 3G. Or should i say FORCING original 3G customers to upgrade to get these features.... anyway my contract expires july 11 2010 so ill be getting a IP4 anyway
Old 22-06-2010, 01:14 PM   #85
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just upgraded and man am i missing the jailbreak already haha
Seems a bit quicker but having a 3G i don't get any cool features good work apple
Old 22-06-2010, 01:16 PM   #86
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
Just upgraded and man am i missing the jailbreak already haha
Seems a bit quicker but having a 3G i don't get any cool features good work apple
jailbreak using "redsn0w" all features work fine on 3g i guess apple just wants to FORCE people to upgrade to IP4
Old 22-06-2010, 01:26 PM   #87
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

wow that was out quick! thanks for that
Old 22-06-2010, 01:43 PM   #88
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
Android seems a much much better alternative to iOS (what a crappy name)
My next phone will be between HTC legend and desire.

an iPhone is only good if you jailbreak it
I've got a HTC Desire and it's an awesome phone. Android is a very good operating system to use, no need to jailbreak. Probably my only real complaint is the autofocus on the camera is pretty bad. Sometimes it'll work and take a very clear photo, other times it turns it into a blur. Sound quality isn't as good as my old Sony Ericcson W810i but is still pretty decent for a phone. Other than these it's a fantastic phone.

Daily 2010 FG XR50T ute - Lightning Strike
6 speed manual, XR8 bonnet, hardlid, Streetfighter airbox

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
Dezza is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2010, 02:04 PM   #89
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote V8
ios4 released (292mb).
after jail breaking my iphone 3G mutli-tasking and home screen wallpapers work FINE, doesnt slow the phone down at all! However Apple thought it did so they disabled it for original 3G. Or should i say FORCING original 3G customers to upgrade to get these features.... anyway my contract expires july 11 2010 so ill be getting a IP4 anyway
I though I red somewhere that power management was one of the issues around multitasking and that 3GS and IP4 had better power management features.

be interesting to see how your battery life goes.
cs123 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2010, 02:33 PM   #90
Fled74
The Thread Killa

Might be relevant to the topic:

http://kotaku.com/5549865/china-rips...-with-the-iped

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/t...0602-wx0e.html

Didn't take long for these iPad clones to appear. Intel-powered, and running Android.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post