Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 25-03-2012, 07:31 PM   #61
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: QLD Election

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Unfotunately she just won her seat..You need 10 members in Parliament to be called a political party..Labor have 7...
Sorry if it seems a dumb question, but what happens to the labour party if they dont get the 10 seats?
Old 25-03-2012, 07:57 PM   #62
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
Sorry if it seems a dumb question, but what happens to the labour party if they dont get the 10 seats?
They don't get the funding and resource of a political party in parliment. This has happened before with the libs but the ALP allowed then to retain party status.
Old 25-03-2012, 07:57 PM   #63
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Regardless of who won is it a good thing to have the one party getting 70 seats with the nearest other party only getting 7.

Does make for a Democracy or a Dictatorship?
Old 25-03-2012, 08:05 PM   #64
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Regardless of who won is it a good thing to have the one party getting 70 seats with the nearest other party only getting 7.

Such a land slide is bad , however if things get out of hand the problem can be addressed , I hop the libs allow labor to have access to funding
Old 25-03-2012, 09:47 PM   #65
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by atec77
Such a land slide is bad , however if things get out of hand the problem can be addressed , I hop the libs allow labor to have access to funding
Word is Campbell has done that.

Big result, I think of the saying absolute power corrupts absolutely so lets see how Campbell does this first term.
Old 25-03-2012, 11:06 PM   #66
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambunctious
According to the ousted Labour Treasurer Andrew Fraser, our debt is $85 Billion, I believe it is 2 to 3 times that, I hope I am wrong.
Elections bring out the 'best' don't they. We hardly ever see our local member and then like magic he appears, pressing flesh, concerned and generally trying to be normal.

We had Andrew Fraser sitting with us at the local school parent and teacher meeting, our treasurer got up, cleared her throat, looked around and announced that the school's budget was in surplus by many many thousands of dollars! Much laughter ensued, I'm sure Fraser got the message.
Old 25-03-2012, 11:22 PM   #67
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
There is a gentleman's agreement between the two major parties and Labor will be considered the opposition, not that that means very much. For example Katter's party are not in opposition, and his MP's are entitled to an office, basic office facilities and one office assistant.

Being in opposition entitles two office assistants.

The real problem for Labor is that with 6-7 MP's they'll be trying to cover 18-20 portfolios and with such few people, it is simply impossible for their MP's to be fully across 3-4 portfolios.

What do you mean by "if thing get out of hand the problem can be addressed", in my opinion Queensland will at a minimum have an LNP government for the next 12 years (2024).
Old 25-03-2012, 11:36 PM   #68
Cúl-Báire

Quote:
Elective Dictatorship would be fairly close to the correct term.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elective_dictatorship
Old 25-03-2012, 11:47 PM   #69
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:

Consider, for a moment, a state where there is no Upper house, do you need one more seat than the other party to make it a Democracy or is it a Dictatorship?

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Old 26-03-2012, 12:07 AM   #70
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap
There is a gentleman's agreement between the two major parties and Labor will be considered the opposition, not that that means very much. For example Katter's party are not in opposition, and his MP's are entitled to an office, basic office facilities and one office assistant.

The real problem for Labor is that with 6-7 MP's they'll be trying to cover 18-20 portfolios and with such few people, it is simply impossible for their MP's to be fully across 3-4 portfolios.

What do you mean by "if thing get out of hand the problem can be addressed", in my opinion Queensland will at a minimum have an LNP government for the next 12 years (2024).
With the amount of direct interaction these days amongst the public in a few short years the next election could easily swing another way reducing the advantage but I expect Cam will do the right thing and encourage the part to behave , it might take three elections before labor has a chance at the brass ring again , I doubt the cowboys party will last much longer after the demonstration of bad bratt behaviour is something of a guide as exampled Saturday night
Of course we might all be wrong but I don't think so
Old 26-03-2012, 03:13 AM   #71
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Will still keep looking for the `D:none of the above` option next time I have to waste 1/2 a day trying to do a 3 sec job.
Our state election will prob come up soon , my mailbox will let me know lol,
Just remember `red` who`s running the big game atm wasn`t put there by voters ? , bear this in mind if your thinking about `donkey voting` .
Old 26-03-2012, 11:33 AM   #72
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Those rules were a Labor invention. (SkyNews election night). Play by the rules and why should Labor alone get the funding, it has lost party status, under their own terms in QLD? Besides, it has its union comrade to bleed off, other parties and independents do not.

Labor policies got the result they well and truely deserved, a party of dumb and dangerous. If QLD LNP mess up the same thing will happen to them. QLD is place place where no seat is 'safe'.
Old 26-03-2012, 04:37 PM   #73
damoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap

Very well said , Unfortunately to have good Goverment you need very good opposition and with a house so badly lobsided as this thats just not gonna happen..
Old 26-03-2012, 05:13 PM   #74
nstg8a

so first its bad when theyre in power, now its bad theyre wiped out? you guys confuse me lol...
Old 26-03-2012, 06:06 PM   #75
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by damoose
Very well said , Unfortunately to have good Goverment you need very good opposition and with a house so badly lobsided as this thats just not gonna happen..
It does not matter whether there is a majory of 3 or 33 in QLD we do not have an upper house.

The major ADVANTAGE in this current situation is that there will be a greater distribution of funds outside Brisbane as most of regional QLD has been neglected for 20 years.

Over the years there have been MANY highly one sided parliaments with in excess of 2/3 and up to 3/4 of seats in QLD but this is the first one for this side of politics. It is strange that the previous were not "bad".......
Old 26-03-2012, 06:53 PM   #76
The Monty
Just slidin'

Its probably better to be so lopsided, as at least all 70whatever seat will get good funding, other than the 45 that would have been if it were more even, with two parties that are close together.
As we dont have an upper house, it doesnt matter how many more each one have, as its only the majority that will be able to pass new laws, without the need to get it through the Senate. Its obviously different in other states.
Old 26-03-2012, 07:28 PM   #77
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

This may or may not be the right place, but the first thing I'd like the new Government to do for me is keep all rego's the same. Why should us ute drivers, (along with bikes and trucks) pay more?

The whole system is dodgy anyway, a 4 cylinder car uses no more road than an 8 cylinder one...
People wanted change, then change this for starters!

Ed
Old 26-03-2012, 07:46 PM   #78
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XD 351 Ute
This may or may not be the right place, but the first thing I'd like the new Government to do for me is keep all rego's the same. Why should us ute drivers, (along with bikes and trucks) pay more?

The whole system is dodgy anyway, a 4 cylinder car uses no more road than an 8 cylinder one...
People wanted change, then change this for starters!

Ed
Actually that is a GREAT idea.

For cars go on weight, 0-1500kg, 1501 to 2000kg, 2001++
All bikes the same.

Weight is the thing that caused the damage not number of cylinders. Weight used would be manufacturers kerb weight to make it easy to calculate and there would be a list of "fat cars" and "skinny cars".
Old 26-03-2012, 07:48 PM   #79
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Actually that is a GREAT idea.

For cars go on weight, 0-1500kg, 1501 to 2000kg, 2001++
All bikes the same.

Weight is the thing that caused the damage not number of cylinders. Weight used would be manufacturers kerb weight to make it easy to calculate and there would be a list of "fat cars" and "skinny cars".
i own a fat car, so im against it lol...

i dont get why not just one flat rate for all car regos, then give concessions for things like hybrids, low emissions, low fuel consumption, awesomeness etc etc...
Old 26-03-2012, 09:26 PM   #80
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Won't be long and we'll have a tunnel from Brisvegas to the Sunny Coast............
Old 26-03-2012, 09:42 PM   #81
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs
Won't be long and we'll have a tunnel from Brisvegas to the Sunny Coast............
Isn't that what they're digging at Lutwyche? The start of it.
Old 26-03-2012, 10:07 PM   #82
The Monty
Just slidin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs

Id rather have a dissused tunnel NOW, then NEED a tunnel in 15 years, and need to wait 2 years for it to be built....
Same thing that just happened with the gateway, it needed to be upgraded ASAP as Brisbane had outgrown it, yet once they started, it was 4 years of roadworks and disruptions till it was finished.
Old 26-03-2012, 10:11 PM   #83
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

What does Q ALP and a Tarago have in common ???
The Tarago has more seats...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
Old 26-03-2012, 11:06 PM   #84
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
Haha, Similar joke to what I saw on TV, except with a Tarago instead of a Kia Carnival.

We know that next election Labor won't be using another campaign bus like they did before this election, but instead a Toyota Tarago because it might be the only vehicle they can fill.
Old 27-03-2012, 01:52 AM   #85
glavas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240

Call me crazy but i can not get my head around that joke. If the tarago has more seats then the alp then what would they have in common as one has more than the other????? Meaning they have nothing in common???
Old 27-03-2012, 02:00 AM   #86
Linz
*SILVER SERVICE PILOT*
Donating Member1

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: For his technical submissions. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with good, solid advice. 

The original joke was something like this...
Q. What's the difference between the QLD ALP and a Tarago?
A. On Sunday morning, the Tarago will STILL have eight seats.

https://www.fordforums.com.au/showth...71#post6891271

2006 Lightning Strike BF Fairlane Ghia...HIS

2024 Titan Grey Hyundai Tucson Highlander...HERS
Old 27-03-2012, 07:36 AM   #87
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

That wasn't an election, that was a bloodless Coup d'état.....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Old 27-03-2012, 04:20 PM   #88
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Cartoons don't take long..
I was waiting to see what Leahy's take on the Labor defeat would be

Quote:
Originally Posted by glavas
Call me crazy but i can not get my head around that joke. If the tarago has more seats then the alp then what would they have in common as one has more than the other????? Meaning they have nothing in common???
I think he meant to say, "what's the difference" rather than "have in common".
Old 27-03-2012, 11:16 PM   #89
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Just heard, Anna Bligh's election bus is for sale <going cheap>

Its wheels fell off and it has no seats !
Old 27-03-2012, 11:58 PM   #90
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhiaEB
Anna Bligh just announced her resignation from politics, forcing a By-election. That is down right rude. Such a waste of time and money. I feel for the people who now have to vote again.
Some might see it as a good thing, her letting the buck stop with her and taking accountability for the loss.

I agree that the expense is frustrating though.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
Closed Thread