Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 02:11 PM   #61
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16wantsI6
lol what about in the northern territory, it would be annoying having buddies with you in the northern territory no limit area, having them thrash you because they can go excess 250k in their HSV's, im not saying i want to actually do it, heck i dont even have a car, just quering on the subject.
then theres the autobahn lol
If you've ever been in a Falcon in excess of 180 (Taxi pack speed limiter) you'll understand the silliness of your statement !
The alloy tail shaft hums, drones, and sounds like it will part company with the diff / box in your car.
I know 'cause I had a Speed Cut Defender fitted to my EF I6 (chip, suspension, brakes, exhaust CAI etc...) and it was ИИИИn hairy at 220 km... the vibration made me BACK off real quick.
A bloody HSV has been engineered for 200 kmh, FPV vehicles also, and to a lesser extent XR Falcons.
To travel at 250 KMH as you refer to is insane on public roads (wether it be NT or anyplace) in any Falcon or boggodore, and I trust that by the time you do get a car, you'll have grown out of your desire to look like a smudge on a roadside gum tree / power poll. If not, please stay away from where I drive.......

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:11 PM   #62
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
BA's
Falcons and Fairmonts - 210
XRs - 230
FPVs - 250 or so
Also I dont think LPG has a speed limiter

By the way I can see why you'd need the speed limiter removed. I know someone living in tennants creek who do trips to and from alice springs weekly and fuel economy goes really bad after 160 or so.
Yep LPG does have a limiter but it cuts the fuel injectors not the gas so the car just keeps going.
Speed cameras have changed the things we pay attention to and the things we regard as important. Instead of focusing on the dangers ahead, motorists feel that they have been relieved of responsibility for managing their own driving, and have ceded it instead to the mechanical intervention of the camera and other traffic signals.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:04 PM   #63
oneredED
need more boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
The FPV GT, GT-P and F6 Typhoon are limited to 250km/h. Not sure about the Pursuit, Super Pursuit and F6 Tornado though.
I have it on good authority (but we'll just call it a rumour) that not all of the FPV cars left the factory with the limiter in place, well not the 250km/h one anyway due to an engineering issue with metric and imperial length measurements...

I realise this is an old thread, but people have been saying "it's unsafe in a falcon to do over 180km/h under any circumstances..." I think this is complete BS said by a majority of people who are just saying it to make themselves feel better about the fact that they themselves have previously done such things that they claim to be "idiotic".

I know of a falcon (e-series) that used to see 200+ twice a day, for around 15 to 20 minutes at a time. It did this for around 6 months to the best of my knowledge. There was minimal tailshaft vibration if any, and tyre tracking, wear and vibration was perfect. The only issues the car saw were braking issues, which were rectified for under $300. I absolutely can not stand people who would claim this to be unsafe, not knowing any of the condition of the car or the surface it was done on...
Stops due to: bendix, DBA
Shifter connected to: T5 manual
Power from: ???
Interior: velour and woodgrain
Cost: stuff all :P
Old 09-01-2006, 04:22 PM   #64
mickey t

I reckon there are two good reasons to keep the limiters.

keepleft is right about the tyre ADR, but the bit you need to understand about this is that if Ford bung in a limiter at 180 or 230, then that's all the tyre standard they have to meet. it saves them money.

after all, who here regularly exceeds 230, and if that ends up being 1 percent of the XR buying population, then 99 percent won't want to pay more for better tyres to accommodate them.

secondly, there are aerodynamic considerations. Falcon shells are not wind tunnel tested at high speeds. As one of the few people around (?) to have run 300+ in an BA shell, i can attest to the things being extremely aero skittish above around 250-260. certainly not as stable at speed as a monaro, for example.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:33 PM   #65
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
No one does that speed in the NT anyway. Except for all the interstate ****ers out to prove something. The locals don't go beyond 150-160 odd from what I hear. You'd be wasting too much fuel at 200kph.
Well if you ever go there a SEE rather than hear anecdotal yarns you may find a few things are different. 130-160 is what the locals do in their ordinary sedans and 4WDs. They have just and many revhead per population as everywhere else. I have been travelling at 180 in various cars including commies, falcs and FPVs and been overtaken by many NT registered vehicles (particularly bright red SS commies when I was in my GT-P and usually just after I passed them on cruise control).
P.S. 130 is often the speed of trucks and they have some bloody big ones up there.....
Old 09-01-2006, 05:17 PM   #66
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey t
I reckon there are two good reasons to keep the limiters.

keepleft is right about the tyre ADR, but the bit you need to understand about this is that if Ford bung in a limiter at 180 or 230, then that's all the tyre standard they have to meet. it saves them money.

Yes, that said, I'd have no problem with a say 250km/h speed limiter.

after all, who here regularly exceeds 230, and if that ends up being 1 percent of the XR buying population, then 99 percent won't want to pay more for better tyres to accommodate them.

Even very few kilometre lengths of NSW's ever improving F3 could tolerate sustained runs of 200km/h in its current form, primarily owing lack of median barrier and its emergency designated cross-over points, which results in folk doing illegal U-turns. Too much potential trouble.

The road has the exact same typical cross-section as the best of German autobahn, but lacks in engineering terms the necessary seconary safety measures. That said, one or two lengths I can think of can sustain such speeds easily, here, we don't have Emergency cross-over points and sight distance and delinneation are excellent. At such speed however you'd cover the distance 'in no time' and should then back off to 110 - 140km/h, if you don't, you stand the risk of running into a blocked laneway - should that circumstance arise. Sight distance issue again, so to not do so would mean a stickable charge of 'speed dangerous'.

secondly, there are aerodynamic considerations. Falcon shells are not wind tunnel tested at high speeds. As one of the few people around (?) to have run 300+ in an BA shell, i can attest to the things being extremely aero skittish above around 250-260. certainly not as stable at speed as a monaro, for example.
This reminds me why German cars in particular are so damned good at high-speed, hell, even my under restoration 2.0 litre Toledo (VW mechanicals and suspension) is dead quite and rock stable at 200km/h, yet the VR SS I had was 'somewhat noisier' with wind. And explains why domestic builders do make NT runs. they should perhaps make greater use of NT and spend $ in that jurisdiction accordingly, NT in turn would do well to seek additional Commonwealth funding for Interchange work with a long term goal in outlook.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf

Last edited by Keepleft; 09-01-2006 at 05:24 PM.
Old 09-01-2006, 05:27 PM   #67
Kapn_Kiwi
It is hard...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
BA's
Falcons and Fairmonts - 210
BA II has them at 200, I believe. That's what the manual said, anyway, I was reading it on saturday.
Old 09-01-2006, 05:47 PM   #68
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapn_Kiwi
BA II has them at 200, I believe. That's what the manual said, anyway, I was reading it on saturday.
Could be the error difference at 200, indicated at 210 real speed 200.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:13 PM   #69
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneredED
I have it on good authority (but we'll just call it a rumour) that not all of the FPV cars left the factory with the limiter in place, well not the 250km/h one anyway due to an engineering issue with metric and imperial length measurements...

I realise this is an old thread, but people have been saying "it's unsafe in a falcon to do over 180km/h under any circumstances..." I think this is complete BS said by a majority of people who are just saying it to make themselves feel better about the fact that they themselves have previously done such things that they claim to be "idiotic".

I know of a falcon (e-series) that used to see 200+ twice a day, for around 15 to 20 minutes at a time. It did this for around 6 months to the best of my knowledge. There was minimal tailshaft vibration if any, and tyre tracking, wear and vibration was perfect. The only issues the car saw were braking issues, which were rectified for under $300. I absolutely can not stand people who would claim this to be unsafe, not knowing any of the condition of the car or the surface it was done on...
Without doubt the biggest load of bullcrap Ive read for a while.

It's that inept and naive I can't even be bothered rebutting. Just to say.. Go play on someones private road in your stock E series @ 200 plus, float and wobble your way to motoring nirvana there and not a public road., (oops forgot that $300 bucks worth of brake pads made it safe for public roads.)

Just bloody ludicrous.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:15 PM   #70
red_hotxr6
Banned

I cannot quite understand your arguements here.Someone here has asked about speed limiters and immediately nearly half of the people has responded, has been like WHY,WHY do you want to do this,it has been done for a reason leave it alone. Why not come straight out and tell how to do it and where it can be done. I cant understand the negativity and the defense on removing a speed limiter.You can kill some one at 70klms as well as 180klms or 230.The people who have got their licences we have to presume that they have got some intelligence. What am i going to do when i find out how to remove the limiter from my xr6,try and do 200klms for the hell of it, i am lucky if i do 110klms. You guys will know better than i but when the performance cars like the FPVare sold what is the tyre rating on them? now 1 year later what if you cant afford the same tyre rating, and you buy a cheaper tyre, that car can still travel at 200 plus yet the tyre is not the specified rating, now there is a real danger. As a matter of fact how many members here have the correct tyres on their cars right now.phew deep breath. i hope you see my point.lol
Old 09-01-2006, 08:23 PM   #71
SVR73
Mr Polish

Well I have great tyres on it
I treat my car like a race car as far as care goes
Only the best lubricants, tyres and parts are used regardless of price

All the cars I have owned which is only four never broke down , had parts wear out quickly and lose performance

I'm all for the removal of limiter and fitting a titanium or aluminium tailshaft, single piece is best I'd say
The two piece ones can break in the centre according to the place I went to
Old 09-01-2006, 08:24 PM   #72
nugget01
95EFAIRMONT

dont know if any one mentioned this , but you might want to get an alloy tail shaft from an XR or balance yours. just in case when you do get the limiter removed you know you are safe from viabrateing your diff/transmition to pieces.
Sorry if this has already been mentioned , I couldnt be be bothered reading all the other comments!
king superlows heavy dutie
Bosch super 4's
Cross Dirlled Slotted Venterlated Rotors
Old 09-01-2006, 08:32 PM   #73
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairmont99
Yep LPG does have a limiter but it cuts the fuel injectors not the gas so the car just keeps going.
What do you mean? The LPG motor doesn't have injectors. It doesn't have a place to put them even...

Now if that's an ECU function they didn't alter.. that's a different story.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Old 09-01-2006, 08:35 PM   #74
xrdreaming

I have a custom tail shaft loop fitted to XR6 turbo ute, couple of hundred dollars fitted is a nice safe guard when taking to the strip.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:40 PM   #75
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_hotxr6
I cannot quite understand your arguements here.Someone here has asked about speed limiters and immediately nearly half of the people has responded, has been like WHY,WHY do you want to do this,it has been done for a reason leave it alone. Why not come straight out and tell how to do it and where it can be done.
It was answered.. by me.. in the first response to the thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
yes it can be removed with a chiptorque chip but the question is why do you want to remove it?

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:46 PM   #76
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex

It's that inept and naive I can't even be bothered rebutting. Just to say.. Go play on someones private road in your stock E series @ 200 plus, float and wobble your way to motoring nirvana there and not a public road., (oops forgot that $300 bucks worth of brake pads made it safe for public roads.)

Just bloody ludicrous.
Yer there is no way I would EVER want to be doing anywhere near 200 km/h in a stocko E series... even my EL which is considered to be the point at which finally 'fixed' a number of suspension problems with the E-series is a bit squirmy on the highway even at 100 km/h. I would honestly not like to take it past 130... not to mention how vague the steering in older Falcons can be!
Old 09-01-2006, 09:25 PM   #77
red_hotxr6
Banned

Quote:
It was answered.. by me.. in the first response to the thread:
And i counter with -why does anyone speed- why does anyone drive without a licence without rego why drink drive? Just because, its a modification to your vehicle, just because it can be done, it does not mean i want to drive at 250klms .
Old 09-01-2006, 09:29 PM   #78
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_hotxr6
And i counter with -why does anyone speed- why does anyone drive without a licence without rego why drink drive? Just because, its a modification to your vehicle, just because it can be done, it does not mean i want to drive at 250klms .
I agree.. and to further back it up... I have had mine removed with a chiptorqe chip. Never gone over 150kph (at the drags) since I did either.
Then again, I have an XR6 that doesnt have the tailshaft issues either.

Old 09-01-2006, 09:34 PM   #79
red_hotxr6
Banned

Quote:
I agree.. and to further back it up... I have had mine removed with a chiptorqe chip. Never gone over 150kph (at the drags) since I did either.
Then again, I have an XR6 that doesnt have the tailshaft issues either.
Ok all well said and done, did you get my email, re-donations.?
Old 09-01-2006, 09:48 PM   #80
oneredED
need more boost

Quote:

Just bloody ludicrous.
What an absolute load of BS. I am sick to death of people with attitudes shuch as yours, TEX. For all you know (and this is somewhat of an exaggeration), the car involved was raced at Le Mans or another dedicated flowing racetrack, it was a dedicated race car, and the constant braking involved highlighted an issue with a brake line, that was rectified with a replacement costing sub-300 dollars. I refuse to sit back and let people make assumptions such as yours, based on no factual information, and assuming it was done on a public road, in a standard e-series falcon. I never said the car was standard, i did alude to it, with my point being the tailshaft was standard, as was most of the general suspension componentry. It is possible that the car was used in a support catergory and had to comply with strict "from the factory" rules stipulating the car must be standard, other than safety gear such as a roll-cage, harnesses etc.

My post was made to highlight the issue of people jumping on the "you're an idiot" bandwagon just to make themselves feel better about their own driving. In all honesty, if you know how to drive, or have even a basic grasp, it is easy to realise how well or badly your car is behaving, and whether or not some-thing is amiss when you go beyond (on a track) what is acceptable on a public road. I really hope you can learn to view the world with an open mind, and not assume anything, and in doing so learn far more than you ever will by saying what you think people will want to hear.
Stops due to: bendix, DBA
Shifter connected to: T5 manual
Power from: ???
Interior: velour and woodgrain
Cost: stuff all :P
Old 09-01-2006, 09:51 PM   #81
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Meh, question was asked, question was answered and issues and risks highlighted.
I cant see this thread going anywhere good at this point.

Closed Thread