Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 05-10-2010, 09:15 AM   #61
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
When the next ST comes out you mark my words: all you will be mssing out on is that wonderful noise...
Exactly.. the sound and character of the engine is what makes the XR5 so fun.

I couldn't care less if Latte Jim gets 400m down the road quicker than me, I'm just enjoying the noise.

Same reason why I'll go back to a v8. The feel / soul / sound of a v8 is what makes me happy.

Not that "omg im faster than u!" feeling.

In saying that, that is what is so wonderful about life, different strokes for different folks!

It'd be boring if we all wanted the same thing.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:37 AM   #62
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
Award for the dumbest post in this thread......
wow clearly you havn't read the entire thread then.... and I stand by what I said 4 cyl turbos as great as they are are not dragsters you need larger engine torque and immediate from idle torque to make a good time some 4 cyl with small displacement and turbo lag is going to need to go like a scalded cat to make up for the lack of cubes and boost lag...

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 09:54 AM   #63
Danny
GT4.

Thank you Polyal! Thats another odd detail I missed with the new focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Coming from someone who bought a Clio.
How do you get the 'too long' idea?
Feista, sensual hhhmmm righto
Anyway i have nothing against 4cyl turbo cars, my opinion is that the I5T will be missed, you have never owned one so you wont know what they are like.
Okayyyy Mr DJM 83.
1. I come from a Clio (and the two utes) Because when I buy a hatch, I want it to look like one. Not like a near Station Wagon. Duh? Did you not make that connection?

2. Pretty sure the Fiesta has been a success, and YES it DOES look good. Can't wait to see what Ford will do with the ST version of that.

3. Wrong again buddy!!! We briefly had caretakership of a true Volvo I5 S40. Mate of mine bought it, didnt have a garage, went OS for some months and I cared for it. I know, technically I didnt own it nor was it an ST. But don't assume what you don't know mate.

Oh and I never bagged out the 5 cylinder. Its a great car that looks awesome and sounds nuts. It's just a little subdued in its current state of tune (not talking about the RS) in MY OPINION, and I hope that Ford will take the opportunity to create a turbo 4 that is just a little bit mad.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 10:59 AM   #64
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

I think all this bickering and Wang measuring outlines one thing clearly and that's that there is something magical about the T5. We know it's not the most perfect design (what with odd harmonics rather than even) we know it drinks like a post finals footballer and we know that the XR5 is not the quickest thing on the road but we love it rabidly.

Common sense and logic just isn't going to change that.

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Check out the build over here
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 01:28 PM   #65
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have some Karma for that Tj, bang on
Old 05-10-2010, 07:03 PM   #66
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Ford has a lot invested in the XR moniker in Oz. Across their whole range. My bet would be an XR4 (Eco-Boost) replacing XR5 (Volvo). More power and more torque from memory.
But if they were to bring back the 'RS' badging.....well then, what might happen !!!!

And...I bought my XR5 Mondeo knowing full well it was soon to be a dinosaur. It was the only Mondeo with a manual gearbox, pity that (he he !!). And the Focus is too small for a family of four adults with luggage and camping gear.
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 07:50 PM   #67
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Thank you Polyal! Thats another odd detail I missed with the new focus.

Okayyyy Mr DJM 83.
1. I come from a Clio (and the two utes) Because when I buy a hatch, I want it to look like one. Not like a near Station Wagon. Duh? Did you not make that connection?

2. Pretty sure the Fiesta has been a success, and YES it DOES look good. Can't wait to see what Ford will do with the ST version of that.

3. Wrong again buddy!!! We briefly had caretakership of a true Volvo I5 S40. Mate of mine bought it, didnt have a garage, went OS for some months and I cared for it. I know, technically I didnt own it nor was it an ST. But don't assume what you don't know mate.

Oh and I never bagged out the 5 cylinder. Its a great car that looks awesome and sounds nuts. It's just a little subdued in its current state of tune (not talking about the RS) in MY OPINION, and I hope that Ford will take the opportunity to create a turbo 4 that is just a little bit mad.
PM sent i will not continue this rubbish here
Old 05-10-2010, 09:14 PM   #68
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
PM sent i will not continue this rubbish here
And, all due respect, I won't continue the rubbish through PM's. Old fashioned debate is good enough for a public forum. Why?

Because we all have opinions that none will agree on. Its why there are so many different types of vehicle on sale in this sunburnt land. I've said my bit, George and DJM you will not sway me on my opinion or beliefs as much as I could sway you

Now DJM83 I will say one thing, I'd love to see your vehicle mate. With those mods It would be a cracker. One thing we clearly have in kahootz is a passion for go fast toys. For what it's worth, I think this thread as a whole has delved into every facet that we could have regarding the new ST, the old ST and their respective competition, fans and haters (and of the latter I am certainly not one)

-Dan
Old 05-10-2010, 09:25 PM   #69
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
And, all due respect, I won't continue the rubbish through PM's. Old fashioned debate is good enough for a public forum. Why?

Because we all have opinions that none will agree on. Its why there are so many different types of vehicle on sale in this sunburnt land. I've said my bit, George and DJM you will not sway me on my opinion or beliefs as much as I could sway you

Now DJM83 I will say one thing, I'd love to see your vehicle mate. With those mods It would be a cracker. One thing we clearly have in kahootz is a passion for go fast toys. For what it's worth, I think this thread as a whole has delved into every facet that we could have regarding the new ST, the old ST and their respective competition, fans and haters (and of the latter I am certainly not one)

-Dan
Valid point indeed thnaks for the kind words.
I never thought id be here defending a FWD car as ive always been old fashioned RWD but the potentcy of some of the fast hatches godsmacks me. My XR has swayed me to this side of the fence and having been in a heavily modded XR5 im convinced this is the way forward
Old 05-10-2010, 10:28 PM   #70
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Valid point indeed thnaks for the kind words.
I never thought id be here defending a FWD car as ive always been old fashioned RWD but the potentcy of some of the fast hatches godsmacks me. My XR has swayed me to this side of the fence and having been in a heavily modded XR5 im convinced this is the way forward
Coming from a "milk and juice comes in 2 litres" Attitude in my mid late teens (and two first cars that were big rear drive 4.0l Falcons), I too have succumed to the same fresh thinking that you exhibit. I have the two turbo utes for work. But my most enjoyable drives (save for lateral acceleration in the rear end exhibited by the two big 6t's ) have been from small cars, and likely will continue to be in small cars.

We live in a country where cubes and power traditionally has been everything. As the smaller cars whith smaller engines and higher perfomance capabilities come to the fore, it is only inevitable that the transition of old attitudes to new will pave a messy battle ground.

You're dead spot on DJM and again I agree, the hot hatch is slow becoming an affordable dynamically wonderful and enjoyable sport alternative. Every bit the way forward indeed.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:35 PM   #71
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My mother has a LT focus zetec. great car, love the engine (despite being only a 4 and auto), i like the looks too... but the new one really takes it somewhere else. no way in hell will it be a car that looks like every other in the carpark. looks good, not sure that colour does it justice, plus pictures can be deceiving. in real life, different colour i think it will look fantastic! interior is definitely something else, also looks brilliant, ultra modern.

the xr5 which i have had the joy to be a passenger in, is one amazing car. the engine makes a fantastic noise, and its pretty bloody quick. its a shame that they cant use the engine anymore, and yes to a point the term "2.0-litre Ford EcoBoost engine " does make it sound like every other 4 cylinder hot hatch. But no one knows what it will be like in the focus, it could make a brilliant noise, it could have great character like the 5 cylinder, and as shown in the figures is more powerful.

but hey thats just my opinion. will be interested to see what its like in real life, and to drive it (when im off my p's :\) as it sounds like a whopper of a car.
fiestaz is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2010, 02:43 AM   #72
rand0mn00b

I guess it goes to show that when you stray from the norm (whether that be in the looks department or in this case the number of cylinders) you are bound to have strong opinions going both ways!

If ford wanted to make something that was conservative, plain and didn't divide opinions then they'd have just released another corolla!!! :p
rand0mn00b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2010, 11:33 AM   #73
Tj-zetec

Fair point. I seem to remember back in '02 when the LR was released thinking "woah, someone at ford has been hanging around the paint booth breathing heavily" and then a few years later I owned one. I still think the right example of one can still be quite an attractive car.

I'm sure even the AU was considered radical at one stage :P

*dodges projectiles*

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Old 06-10-2010, 12:54 PM   #74
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Coming from a "milk and juice comes in 2 litres" Attitude in my mid late teens (and two first cars that were big rear drive 4.0l Falcons), I too have succumed to the same fresh thinking that you exhibit. I have the two turbo utes for work. But my most enjoyable drives (save for lateral acceleration in the rear end exhibited by the two big 6t's ) have been from small cars, and likely will continue to be in small cars.

We live in a country where cubes and power traditionally has been everything. As the smaller cars whith smaller engines and higher perfomance capabilities come to the fore, it is only inevitable that the transition of old attitudes to new will pave a messy battle ground.

You're dead spot on DJM and again I agree, the hot hatch is slow becoming an affordable dynamically wonderful and enjoyable sport alternative. Every bit the way forward indeed.
But danny, your a model. Surely u dont need the two utes lol.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2010, 04:08 PM   #75
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tj-zetec

I'm sure even the AU was considered radical at one stage :P
It was and failed because of it. Australians love boring conservative cars. Thats why Commodore sells.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:53 PM   #76
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
It was and failed because of it. Australians love boring conservative cars. Thats why Commodore sells.
if this is entirely true why do I see heaps of these around the place

imho this is not bland nor boring, to me it looks very larish yet that sells, Not so sure all Australians love boring and conservative else that wouldn't have sold more than a hand full...

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2010, 09:32 AM   #77
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anyone have any pics of that new Focus in different colours?
I would like to see them. cheers.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2010, 10:31 AM   #78
Velociraptor82
Eat my Brake Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodX
Anyone have any pics of that new Focus in different colours?
I would like to see them. cheers.
The RS only comes in 3 colours: Green (hero colour) blue and white

All the pics you'll need are here: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11310135
Small Ford Sunday 2010 - Best Modified Car presented by the EuroFord Club

If I'm going to Hell, I'm going in a Ford

Velociraptor82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2010, 10:36 AM   #79
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor82
The RS only comes in 3 colours: Green (hero colour) blue and white

All the pics you'll need are here: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11310135
Thanx mate, yes the RS is quite the machine.
I was talking about the new ST, would like to see it in another colour besides orange.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2010, 10:48 AM   #80
Velociraptor82
Eat my Brake Dust

Ooops!... sorry.... missunderstood.

Havn't seen too many images of that about.
Small Ford Sunday 2010 - Best Modified Car presented by the EuroFord Club

If I'm going to Hell, I'm going in a Ford

Velociraptor82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2010, 11:50 AM   #81
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodX
Thanx mate, yes the RS is quite the machine.
I was talking about the new ST, would like to see it in another colour besides orange.
It hasnt been showing in any other colour yet AFAIK
Old 28-10-2010, 04:21 PM   #82
Tj-zetec

I thought it would have made an appearance at the motorshow in Sydney. You could argue that they didn't want it to upstage the RS but what harm would it have done? They're already all "sold"

Old 12-04-2011, 07:48 PM   #83
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 
Default Re: Euro 5 kills XR5...brings...XR4?

http://www.caradvice.com.au/114752/2...xr5-spy-shots/

Quote:
2012 Ford Focus ST (XR5) spy shots
By Brett Davis | April 12th, 2011

Ford has been spotted testing the upcoming production version of the 2012 Ford Focus ST (XR5) sports model on Germany’s Nurburgring. The test mule in question was wearing a conservative outfit at the track but upon closer inspection, we can confirm this is the sports ST model undergoing final checks.

Wearing a fairly standard front bumper and grille, this test car at first appears to be just a normal 2012 Focus. It’s not until you see the brakes, details around the rear end and the wheels that you figure out what Ford is trying to do here. The company may have had some fooled but not us.

Ford has already unveiled the 2012 Ford Focus ST in pre-production form. This test mule is said to be equipped with a similar, if not exactly the same, specifications as the model unveiled in September last year.

This means the new Focus ST (XR5) will feature a 2.0-litre EcoBoost four-cylinder engine offering 184kW of power and 360Nm of torque. The unit will be matched to a six-speed manual transmission as standard.

Ford says the new engine, which will replace the existing 2.5-litre five-cylinder unit, consumes up to 20 percent less fuel than the old model. Even so, the smaller, newer engine still produces 18kW and 40Nm more than the current set-up (using Australian specifications of the Ford Focus XR5).

From behind, we can see this test mule showcases those trademark central outlet exhaust pipes. We can also see the car includes a lower, sportier suspension layout compared with the entry-level variants.

The 2012 Ford Focus ST is expected to hit international showrooms towards the end of this year.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:50 PM   #84
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/04/11/s...g-and-track-t/

Quote:
Spy Shots: Ford Focus ST caught cold-weather testing and track tuning

by Jeff Glucker (RSS feed) on Apr 11th 2011 at 5:28PM

We saw the 2012 Ford Focus ST in the flesh at the 2010 Paris Auto Show, but at the time, the hot-hatch unveiled to the waiting press was merely a close-to-the-real-thing concept version. The production Focus ST should be arriving at an auto show in the near future. Apparently it's not quite ready, however, because our spy photographers managed to capture Ford engineers working over a mule-bodied example, both at the track and in the snow.

It may appear to be a standard Focus from the outside – note the standard front fascia instead of the show car's more aggressive look – but a closer inspection reveals a few unique touches first seen on the concept. For instance, a centrally mounted exhaust outlet at the rear expels emissions from the 2.0-liter EcoBoost unit lurking under the hood. Speaking of which, power is expected to be up around 250 horsepower, and the engine will be paired with a six-speed manual transmission.

We hope to see the 2012 Focus ST hitting dealer showrooms by the end of 2011. We also hope to score some seat time before that happens. Until then, we'll just stare at the spy photos in the gallery below, and dream about the sporty action going on under the suspiciously plain wrapper.

PICS
Old 12-04-2011, 08:14 PM   #85
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Farewell the Volvo 5 potter, the new ST will be good but its no 5 cylinder.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:18 PM   #86
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I quite like the look but I think the tail lights look a bit.... Phallic.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2011, 10:44 PM   #87
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
I quite like the look but I think the tail lights look a bit.... Phallic.
It looks like it's giving the finger to everyone passing by...

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2011, 11:47 PM   #88
RSgerry
Well hello Mr Fancypants

like it from the front but i really liked the tail lights running up the rear pillar. not sure about the new one. will have to see it in the flesh. but 184KW in a car that size???? could be a ton of fun.
2012 Ford Focus ST
RSgerry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2011, 06:49 PM   #89
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

You guys are aware that isnt what it will look like yeah? That car is an ST with Zetec et al guise
Old 13-04-2011, 08:56 PM   #90
Tj-zetec

I know that bumper isn't on the upcoming ST but even so, I don't dig it. Fugly.

Looks like a stormtrooper that walked into a door, or at least that's what it'd tell its co-workers.