Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-06-2009, 12:04 PM   #61
kezzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
I think the main reason for that is looks... The Maloo is really quite stunning and for people that are more about looks than overall performance the HSV is the obvious choice.
The Maloo kicks **** in overall performance as well? And in my opinion, alot more on the aftermarket for them.
kezzer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2009, 12:07 PM   #62
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Overall as a complete package for the road there is no going past the F6 engine and ZF tranny, really the Holden offering is not in the same league in regards to overall refinement and ability. If the V8 Maloo came close in those departments I would have one, but it doesn't.

Edit - Plus I love the cruise control on the Ford, steering wheel buttons so when eating up the highway without getting done by the fuzz it is just up and down on the steering wheel... The stalk mounted things are the absolute pox.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:12 PM   #63
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
I think the main reason for that is looks... The Maloo is really quite stunning and for people that are more about looks than overall performance the HSV is the obvious choice.
While i don't personally think the Maloo is a nice looker many do so yes i belove you are right.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2009, 12:29 PM   #64
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The SP really killed the Pursuit as it is a far superior product for very little more money.

As far as the Maloo vs SP my observations are:

There is a long culture of Bogan in a SS Ute, far greater than anyone in a XR8 ute, the Maloo is just an extension of that.
The Ford/FPV culture has a strong focus on the letters G and T. I have see quite a few Pursuits with the pursuit badges removed and replaced with GT badges as well as quite often owners describing them as a GT Ute. Possibly the renaming of the vehicle to "GT Ute" would increase sales to those who want a "GT" as much as a V8 ute. This of course would probably eat into the XR8 ute and GT sedan markets.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2009, 12:33 PM   #65
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
The Ford/FPV culture has a strong focus on the letters G and T. I have see quite a few Pursuits with the pursuit badges removed and replaced with GT badges as well as quite often owners describing them as a GT Ute. Possibly the renaming of the vehicle to "GT Ute" would increase sales to those who want a "GT" as much as a V8 ute. This of course would probably eat into the XR8 ute and GT sedan markets.
Your most likely right. The GT name means a lot for the Ford buyer as does the SS name to the Holden buyers.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:49 PM   #66
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw
Thanks to Rod for the prompt reply - YTD to the end of April:

FPV SWB
Jan = 108
Feb=78
Mar=111
Apr = 128
Total 425 (+100 in May)

HSV SWB
Jan = 75
Feb=91
Mar=132
Apr=114
Total 412

Total brand vs. brand (all models) in the same period is 540 (FPV) vs. 634 (HSV).

Cheers
Russ
Thanks for those figures Russ. So that leaves 125 for FPVs ute variants and 222 for HSVs Maloo and Grange.
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2009, 01:07 PM   #67
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01
Thanks for those figures Russ. So that leaves 125 for FPVs ute variants and 222 for HSVs Maloo and Grange.
and F6X, there were a few (though not a lot) of them sold of that period.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2009, 02:09 PM   #68
kezzer

Quote:
Overall as a complete package for the road there is no going past the F6 engine and ZF tranny, really the Holden offering is not in the same league in regards to overall refinement and ability. If the V8 Maloo came close in those departments I would have one, but it doesn't.

Edit - Plus I love the cruise control on the Ford, steering wheel buttons so when eating up the highway without getting done by the fuzz it is just up and down on the steering wheel... The stalk mounted things are the absolute pox.
I find that quite annoying, its like driving a friggin spaceship. Makes the steering wheel look frigging ugly with all these buttons everywhere.

The only fpv worth driving imo is the F6. Steer clear of the boss anchor, gimme lsx anyday.
kezzer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2009, 02:13 PM   #69
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Mate with the mining boom bogans can afford Porsche's let alone Commonwhores.

About the steering wheel.... The FPV wheel is certainly not busy and the cruise is perfectly to hand and natural to use, unless of course you are a three toed sloth and can't grasp it properly :-)
Old 03-06-2009, 02:16 PM   #70
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezzer
I find that quite annoying, its like driving a friggin spaceship. Makes the steering wheel look frigging ugly with all these buttons everywhere.
I understand the sentiment, but it is contrary to the decisions made by most automotive design labs.
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2009, 02:17 PM   #71
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Lets keep the discussion civil please
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2009, 02:48 PM   #72
HSE2

Would be nice to know how the GT, F6 and GT-P is split up.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2009, 03:35 PM   #73
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

If I'm not mistaken FPV have a limited number of 5.4 Litre V8's on hand to tie them over until the Coyote V8 is available next year. Could FPV having to ration out this engine have an effect on sales numbers? I've noticed that dealers don't appear to have many XR8's in stock compared to XR6T's possibly for the same reason.
R-Design is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2009, 08:11 PM   #74
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss315
If I'm not mistaken FPV have a limited number of 5.4 Litre V8's on hand to tie them over until the Coyote V8 is available next year. Could FPV having to ration out this engine have an effect on sales numbers? I've noticed that dealers don't appear to have many XR8's in stock compared to XR6T's possibly for the same reason.
Why?

The 5.4L is still being used in the F-Series/Raptor trucks.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:21 PM   #75
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken FPV have a limited number of 5.4 Litre V8's on hand to tie them over until the Coyote V8 is available next year.
Wonder how many they have stockpiled? They had heaps of Windsors stockpiled, which last what 2yrs?

Quote:
Could FPV having to ration out this engine have an effect on sales numbers?
Yeah, guess they would ration. They'd know how many they have left to share between the XR8 and the FPV's. What that might mean, is that FPV could be happy to attempt to keep the current sales ratio with say 100 GT sales a month and 50 F6 sales.

I'd expect that if there is some discounting to be done, then it's more likely to be on the F6 in the near term. Only once the knowledge of the Coyote V8 becomes more widespread, or FPV feel they may have surplus will they begin to plug / discount / runout the GT models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
Why? The 5.4L is still being used in the F-Series/Raptor trucks.
Well, yes the 5.4L is still in use. But only in SOHC 3V. The DOHC 4V is sold in just one vehicle. The Supercharged Ford Shelby GT500. But, they get them from Ford Racing?

NB The last vehicle to use the 5.4L DOHC engine in mass production was the Lincoln Navigator in 2004.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2009, 07:03 AM   #76
mcnews
Trev

Makes sense, we get an engine after the Yanks have dispensed with it and moved on....
Old 04-06-2009, 10:59 AM   #77
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

The heads are still avalible and the Block is the same as the Shelby, if anything they will be trying to run their stock down so they don't get left with any at the change of the Emissions regs.
Old 14-06-2009, 05:57 AM   #78
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

So much talent gone to waste. kpcant, why don't you apply for a course in stupidity. You'll at least end up twenty times smarter than what you are now.