Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-04-2019, 02:15 PM   #61
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ranger tow test - 2.0TT vs Ye Olde 3.2L I5

All modern diesels are ****, they are not built to last and requiring them meet Euro emission standards has strangled them. I have no real issue with the injection side of modern diesels (other than getting too small for the weight they have to shift) but I have a real issue with the exhaust side, they have strangled them almost to death

A lot of Rangers/BT50's are purchased in Australia due to their "3.5t" towing capacity, so making the engines smaller makes no sense what so ever

I believe they are going to the 2.0tt due to it being a 'world platform' so it makes sense to have an engine that is 'world platform'

If they think that the 2.00tt will sell in America (and yes they are for sale in the USA) then they need to seriously think again. WHY would you buy a 2.0tt Ranger instead of a F250 with a 7litre engine? Ford are not being fair dinkum here. America is one of the biggest auto markets, so going small there is just plain dumb
Old 08-04-2019, 02:19 PM   #62
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
Awww common Trev your last comment is sour grapes, still have my original tranny.
I have been a Ford person probably since before you were born, my first car at 18 in 1975 was an 1962 XL Falcon and have Fords ever since, yes I am dirty that they allow **** products onto the market, they should know better!!
Old 08-04-2019, 03:02 PM   #63
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Trev View Post
All modern diesels are ****, they are not built to last and requiring them meet Euro emission standards has strangled them. I have no real issue with the injection side of modern diesels (other than getting too small for the weight they have to shift) but I have a real issue with the exhaust side, they have strangled them almost to death

A lot of Rangers/BT50's are purchased in Australia due to their "3.5t" towing capacity, so making the engines smaller makes no sense what so ever

I believe they are going to the 2.0tt due to it being a 'world platform' so it makes sense to have an engine that is 'world platform'

If they think that the 2.00tt will sell in America (and yes they are for sale in the USA) then they need to seriously think again. WHY would you buy a 2.0tt Ranger instead of a F250 with a 7litre engine? Ford are not being fair dinkum here. America is one of the biggest auto markets, so going small there is just plain dumb

I'm convinced the new Bi Turbo will be in the long haul for the ranger but ford will introduce a new engine in the next new model to replace the old 3.2 that is currently being used.
You will have a choice of two engines for obvious reasons.
Like you Trev in my opinion I believe in cubes for towing and do not believe the 2.0 engine is not quite up to the task for heavy towing contrary to other peoples beliefs.
My question in another towing topic is why did ford retain 3.2 when the 2.0 was introduced, food for thought

PS: you cheeky old bugger I got my licence a year later and yes I've been involved with a lot different types of vehicles over the years.

Cheers.

Last edited by Itsme; 08-04-2019 at 03:09 PM.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2019, 04:14 PM   #64
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Trev

The US Ranger is 2.3 ecoboost only. Not sure where you are getting the idea you can buy a diesel Ranger in the US
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2019, 04:52 PM   #65
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that's even worse
Old 08-04-2019, 05:33 PM   #66
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
that's even worse
No 'cause guess what, the new RWD Transit is getting a 180 HP 300 lb ft single turbo version of the 2.0 Ecoblue....
And that's as an alternative to the new 3.5 V6 PFDI (Dual Injectors) and the 3.5 Ecoboost.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2019, 07:34 PM   #67
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
still have my original tranny.
Haven't been back to Thailand lately then...?:
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-04-2019, 08:03 PM   #68
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
Just wondering this as well. Does the 10 Speed Ranger have a towing mode in one of it's menus like the F-150 has?
I have been wondering if these towing tests have been done in "D". The 10 speed is programmed to skip gears and prioritise economy in "D".

Wondering how it would go in "S". This mode would give increased engine braking and prevent the thing up-shifting when not required.

Also wondering if perhaps instead of Ford calling this Sport/Performance mode, they perhaps would be better calling it TOW mode. I gather there would be a mentality of "why would I need to put it in Sport mode, it's not a sports car".

Just some thoughts.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2019, 08:55 PM   #69
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
I have been wondering if these towing tests have been done in "D". The 10 speed is programmed to skip gears and prioritise economy in "D".

Wondering how it would go in "S". This mode would give increased engine braking and prevent the thing up-shifting when not required.

Also wondering if perhaps instead of Ford calling this Sport/Performance mode, they perhaps would be better calling it TOW mode. I gather there would be a mentality of "why would I need to put it in Sport mode, it's not a sports car".

Just some thoughts.
Maybe people should read their owners book to understand how to operate their vehicle instead of guessing how to.
Old 08-04-2019, 09:09 PM   #70
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by officemanager View Post
maybe people should read their owners book to understand how to operate their vehicle instead of guessing how to.
this!!!
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2019, 09:13 PM   #71
prydey
Rob

Should the journo doing the review also read the manual? Maybe the dealership that gives them the car should also give them a brief run down of best practice. I assume the journo would inform the dealer (or Ford, whoever they deal with) of what they intend to do during the reviews.

I agree though, owners should definitely read their manual.
Old 08-04-2019, 09:53 PM   #72
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
the consistent thing with all Ranger threads, is that for some reason people put more credence in negative feedback than positive. maybe its just the way the human mind works, or maybe people's thinking doesn't advance at the same rate as technology.
You are on the money there. Many people..ah no, a hell of a lot of people tend to look at the negative, rather than the positive side of an argument. e.g. "I wouldn't like to fly overseas. The plane might crash." Rather than.."The best way to get to Hawaii is to fly". Also regarding technology, you are correct there also. there has been plenty of indifferent comments on this site of late.
Old 08-04-2019, 10:03 PM   #73
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I have been a Ford person probably since before you were born, my first car at 18 in 1975 was an 1962 XL Falcon and have Fords ever since, yes I am dirty that they allow **** products onto the market, they should know better!!
Geezzz Trev, yer only a young fella yet. Well OK, only 4 years younger than me. I must admit to going to into the lions den for an experiment...twice bitten, lesson learnt. But yes, a Fordie all over since 17 and no major problems with any. My PX is just fine. Quality today is much better than earlier. Then so too with the rest.
Old 08-04-2019, 10:21 PM   #74
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Remember when the VW Amarok came out and everyone jumped on it for having a tiny engine, two turbos and eleventy gears?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2019, 10:44 PM   #75
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Remember when the VW Amarok came out and everyone jumped on it for having a tiny engine, two turbos and eleventy gears?
Sshhhh you not suppose to bring this up! we now are talking about a ford here.
2 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2019, 11:10 PM   #76
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Should the journo doing the review also read the manual? Maybe the dealership that gives them the car should also give them a brief run down of best practice. I assume the journo would inform the dealer (or Ford, whoever they deal with) of what they intend to do during the reviews.

I agree though, owners should definitely read their manual.
Thought the journo was the all knowing. Going off how much emphasis people put on their option.
Old 08-04-2019, 11:11 PM   #77
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Apparently it was gonna be a sales success with the big engine as well.
Old 09-04-2019, 05:25 AM   #78
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For the American market Ford would have been better off putting in a 5 litre petrol V8, actually it might not be a bad idea here as well, less Euro emissions **** to worry about
Old 09-04-2019, 06:49 AM   #79
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I don't particularly like the Thailand special dual cab utes because they're slow as a wet week - the only thing I pull is my groin

I've worked on them all when they were new (except NP300 Navara and 'Mercedes' X class) and driven them all - my favourite by far is the discontinued Hilux 4L V6, thirsty on juice but if you got stuck into it they moved.

I'd heavily consider one if we had the 2.3L Ecoboost variant that the USA has - dual cab, some bigger OE style silver wheels and a little lower with an aggressive looking body kit would have won me over.

It would be a great modification platform too - you'd only have to throw around $15K on it by the time you change turbo, FMIC, exhaust, intake and tune and you would have a weapon.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 09-04-2019 at 07:03 AM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2019, 07:13 AM   #80
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

People are moving away from diesels as current emission rules have strangled them to a point where they are a joke

Bring out a petrol variant, particularly a 5 litre in the Ranger and it would sell like hotcakes
Old 09-04-2019, 11:23 AM   #81
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Hilux 4L Petrol was dropped due to low sales. do you really think they are going to go to the effort of making a 5L to please a few hoons.

I think there's some confusion here

duel cabs are work/weekender/tow/family vehicles
they are quite versatile and not surprisingly have become popular - they are not sports cars.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2019, 11:38 AM   #82
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
The Hilux 4L Petrol was dropped due to low sales. do you really think they are going to go to the effort of making a 5L to please a few hoons.

they are quite versatile and not surprisingly have become popular - they are not sports cars.
They might have been when you could order an XR6T or XR8 but the end of locally manufactured hot sedans and the emergence of offerings like Raptor and to a lesser extent Sportscat and Rogue/Rugged etc. the focus for buyers wanting something a bit fancier has shifted from sports sedans to sports utes.
Whilst I cant see them ever being offered with a 5.0l V8, I can see the possibility for a hi performance version.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:58 AM   #83
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hilux TRD flopped too
Old 09-04-2019, 12:06 PM   #84
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
I can see the possibility for a hi performance version.
I can't. There may be a percentage of the market that would buy one but its my opinion that it would be a very small percentage. If performance was that important, surely the model with the most performance would be further up the sales charts? Amorok barely gets a mention most months.

I agree with this..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007

dual cabs are work/weekender/tow/family vehicles
with changes to FBT laws, there is a good possibility that ute sales will be reasonably impacted, which would say there are a fair percentage bought for work purposes, or at least under that pretence. They are popular because they can double as a family/lifestyle vehicle, without needing to own an extra car for weekend duties.

Getting back to the topic, of whether the 2L is up to the task, this is Ford's marketing in Europe.
https://fordeurope.blogspot.com/2019...-you-want.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVCgKjibR-U

yes, obviously its just marketing, but they did actually tow well above its stated max capacity, and Ford are obviously very confident in the cars ability, with the slogan, 'tow whatever the hell you want'.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:22 PM   #85
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

nothing to do with hooning, so get that head off. Rangers are sold and promoted as being the best tow vehicle, a pizzy little 2 litre will NOT do the job. Look around at all the pensioners with caravans and look at what's towing them, most at Rangers or BT50's, do they really want to lose that market?? Look around at the 'real' tradies using them to tow their stuff around, do they really want to lose that market. The Ranger will be no better than the Nissan, Toyota and worse than the Isuzu DMax

A 5 litre would give enough grunt to tow the biggest van/trailer and most likely return great fuel economy

Europe are moving away from diesels. Nissan Patrol only come out as a petrol, their biggest market is the Arab countries, Nissan get it. With the way the Land Cruiser V8 diesel is having so many issues, I bet it will be replaced by a petrol variant. Toyota have NEVER been an innovator, they are a follower

Last edited by Trevor 57; 09-04-2019 at 12:28 PM.
Trevor 57 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2019, 12:34 PM   #86
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow how can someone be so blinded, and I just noticed the right to bear arms comment.
you Sir belong in Texas
Old 09-04-2019, 12:52 PM   #87
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Hilux TRD flopped too
It was too early, Ford had not long wound up and its performance enthusiasts were busy salivating over their Sprints and Mustangs and over at camp red they were busy ordering their final VF2 SS.
That's all water under the bridge now, they'll be looking for something to fill the void in the next 2yrs.
Old 09-04-2019, 01:13 PM   #88
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
It was too early, Ford had not long wound up and its performance enthusiasts were busy salivating over their Sprints and Mustangs and over at camp red they were busy ordering their final VF2 SS.
That's all water under the bridge now, they'll be looking for something to fill the void in the next 2yrs.
Thought you might say that, but Trev recons Toyota are not an innovator...

You might well be correct about it being too soon, but history has a way of guiding the market.
Old 09-04-2019, 01:47 PM   #89
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

I guess we are all arguing round in circles now. Only time will tell on this one. How about we agree to disagree, and come back in 12 months when there are some genuine customer high mileage reviews?
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-04-2019, 02:14 PM   #90
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Wow how can someone be so blinded, and I just noticed the right to bear arms comment.
you Sir belong in Texas
Ever heard of SpecSavers, read it again Talk about 'blinded', what a pizzer. Dyslexia is a bastard eh?

Last edited by Trevor 57; 09-04-2019 at 02:19 PM.
Trevor 57 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post