Old 26-01-2017, 12:26 PM   #62
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Cheapest 2nd hand car to run big distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordie View Post
Ecoboost looks like great car.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

I have been running a 2008 LT TDCI Focus from October 2009 to Brisbane from the Gold Coast and return each weekday for work. comfortable. economical 5.2 litres per 100kms 320nm of torque means country and freeway overtaking is a snitch and hills do not knock it back.
Rebuilt the suspension round 200-220000kms other than that all good. Car now up to 277000kms (currently running 1000kms a week) and only now looking to trade it on an LZ Focus or an Alfa Romeo Guilietta.
Have a look at low mileage LV Focuses manual a better bet for longevity and lower r+m cost.
kevino is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-01-2017, 12:49 PM   #63
.:4:.
Kicking back

Diesels are great for soaking up the kays and fuel economy. I have a diesel work ute and engine wise it's great for long trips. Driver comfort wise, not bad, but compared to a falcon, it's almost like ford aus factored long trips into the design process. Having also an ecoboost g6, they are a good car. 70k on the dial and never anything more then a service or tyres. I'm just a little worried if the turbo fails or the intake valves get burnt. The 4l 6 may be a tad worse on fuel, but if taxis can prove they are capable of massive kays then it's a pretty good indicator of long term reliability. I still see bf wagons as taxis in the city. Never once seen a ve sports wagon as a taxi. What does that indicate?
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-01-2017, 06:53 PM   #64
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
I have been running a 2008 LT TDCI Focus from October 2009 to Brisbane from the Gold Coast and return each weekday for work. comfortable. economical 5.2 litres per 100kms 320nm of torque means country and freeway overtaking is a snitch and hills do not knock it back.
Rebuilt the suspension round 200-220000kms other than that all good. Car now up to 277000kms (currently running 1000kms a week) and only now looking to trade it on an LZ Focus or an Alfa Romeo Guilietta.
Have a look at low mileage LV Focuses manual a better bet for longevity and lower r+m cost.
I had an LV tdci Focus. Got consistent low 5's on the freeway. Ruined by the powershift tranny, not available in manual diesel.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2017, 08:10 AM   #65
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieCJ7 View Post
Its a balance get an older beater and throw it away and potentially suffer reliability issue at odd times or spend more and just accept that a cost of doing this is massive depreciation

was looking into some of the dual cab utes and 4x4's but they are pretty expensive for what u get

seems an aussie 6cy sedan is pretty hard to beat wonder what future generations will use

mid size sedans like honda subaru and even some of the newer koreans are possibles starting to look at
Look at EB#'s build threads .... he has a Forester as a main vehicle now and is keeping his immaculate BA Falcon covered now (still drives it though) ... but the older Foresters are good on the highways ... don't use that much fuel ... are roomy ... and they take massive amounts of kays well.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2017, 09:13 AM   #66
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't know but I think the Kia Optima would be a good option.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2017, 10:16 AM   #67
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

I do just around 850km every week. The G6ET cruises along. Though obviously not as god on fuel as NA.

My last car, the BFII Ghia was fantastic on fuel on highway runs. If I stuck to the limits and kept my right foot reasonably light, I could get 7l/100km on good days.

So I'd definitely go for something like an FG.
Old 27-01-2017, 11:14 PM   #68
jobeli

I do the the Melbourne to Gold Coast via the Hume/Pacific Highways run quite often. So i know the distances and fatigue aspects involved. I have done the trips in a number of different cars over the years. I too needed an "expendable" car where putting high Kms didn't matter.

My favorite has been an EGAS 2007 BF2 wagon (which I no longer have due to a P plater collision).
Bought it in 2011 with 170K on it, and it had 380K when it went to the wreckers a few weeks back. I was very sad to see it go.
It had 100+ litre LPG tanks, so long range 900km+ easily on the highway, I even saw over 1000 kms occasionally. Easily drives MEL-SYD and SYD-GC without expensive regional LPG refuelling in between. Fantastic. Usually 11-11.5 l/100 actual on the hilly hume, and 10-11 l/100 on the Pacific.
Very smooth, quiet, reliable and everything on it worked great. Strong torque for those big hills, and to old school 4 spd auto rarely kicks down.
You'd pick up a ripper 2010 BF3 EGAS wagon for under 10K.

Servicing was just annual occasional preventative check over type repairs.
I did the oil/filters thing myself, as the services rack up very quickly when you do big kms.
You can spend a bloody fortune on servicing some cars, when you do big kms.

I also have an ECOLPI 2012 Ute. The ECOLPI is a STUNNING engine and would be even better for the trip too, but a ute is unsuitable for my needs for these trips.

I was looking for a LPG converted Territory (not sure i trust the diesels), but they were either very old, or very expensive.

So I recently bought under $12 K a 2013 Holden Omega dedicated LPG wagon. Took it up to QLD and back last week. It rides and drives beautifully, and has all the latest safety features and great handling. Very relaxed highway drive, does not induce fatigue like many other cars, this is very important. Newer Territory/Falcon sedans are similar.

Fuel economy is even better approx 9-10 l/100 actual. Will still do 700+ kms on a tank. Engine is not as torquey or smooth as the fords, but it's OK. Questions perhaps on reliablity, but this one has 230K on it and touch wood, so far so good.

I reckon if we could Get an ECOLPI + ZF tranny into a Commodore sportswagon, then you'd have the near perfect car.

Last edited by jobeli; 27-01-2017 at 11:26 PM.
jobeli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2017, 12:31 AM   #69
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Same scenario here, I'm doing the AU LPG thing in ute flavour. Pick it up Saturday. Like others say they have reliability and comfort by the bucket full. Its so cheap that if it were to die I can just throw it away and start again. $2500 rwc and reg. Cheaper rego on utes in country vic too...
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2017, 08:43 AM   #70
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

A Territory diesel is a very relaxed and capable car on the highway. So much space, and all of the great Falcon traits such as the great cruise control, well damped ride, decent handling and steering feel, plus a torquier motor than the 4.0 petrol that ticks over at 1800rpm at 110kmh. Trip computer will read in the high 5's or 6's when cruising too.
Old 28-01-2017, 08:56 AM   #71
XR6_power

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPXR6T View Post
Same scenario here, I'm doing the AU LPG thing in ute flavour. Pick it up Saturday. Like others say they have reliability and comfort by the bucket full. Its so cheap that if it were to die I can just throw it away and start again. $2500 rwc and reg. Cheaper rego on utes in country vic too...
+1

By the time the AU Falcon was released, the drivetrain had had all of the bugs ironed out from a basic design dating back to the EB series 2.

No turbo's to blow up (a turbo's life is often not much more than 200,000 km) A Falcon I6 is a simple, reliable design.

Comfort by the bucket load, (I drove from Melbourne to Canberra in my AU II XR8, and didn't even stop for a break) cheap to buy as you have explained (this is one stipulation the thread starter wanted).

With gas you have fuel economy, and a Falcon is certainly among the cheapest of vehicles to maintain/service too.

No brainer.

1999 AU I XR8 HOT CHILLI RED (PROJECT!)

1999 AU I XR8 HOT CHILLI RED (PROJECT) (YES I HAVE 2)

1991 EB S-XR8 WHITE (PROJECT)

2000 AU II XR8 200KW VENOM RED (GONE)

1995 EF XR8- COBALT BLUE (GONE)

1991 EB S XR8- PEARL BLACK (GONE)

1989 EA GL 5 SPEED (GONE)[/I]
[/B][/FONT]
XR6_power is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2017, 11:32 AM   #72
78xcgxl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

LPG falcons are the bomb. ECOLpI is obviously the best. We have a G6E and Ute both on ecolpi in our family and both have been flawless. If you want more power then a FG XR6T on dual fuel with injected aftermarket gas is also a killer option. If you are on more than of budget as ecolpis are still not really cheap then a BF MKII or MKIII Egas wagon is the go they have massive Lpg tanks and allow for some killer range!
78xcgxl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2017, 12:00 PM   #73
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobeli View Post
....My favorite has been an EGAS 2007 BF2 wagon....

....I also have an ECOLPI 2012 Ute. The ECOLPI is a STUNNING engine and would be even better for the trip too,....

...So I recently bought under $12 K a 2013 Holden Omega dedicated LPG wagon. Took it up to QLD and back last week. It rides and drives beautifully, and has all the latest safety features and great handling. Very relaxed highway drive, does not induce fatigue like many other cars, this is very important. Newer Territory/Falcon sedans are similar......

......I reckon if we could Get an ECOLPI + ZF tranny into a Commodore sportswagon, then you'd have the near perfect car....
Interesting to hear your opinion on the Commodore. I did, and still do, numerous interstate trips - sometimes towing a box trailer, other times a loaded car trailer, and sometimes just flying solo.
I've done them in all manner of 80s & 90s cars, as well as early 2000s models, ranging from a 4 cylinder ('07 Liberty) 6s, and 8s - mostly Aussie cars.

In the last decade it's been in the VE I had, and FG that I still own. Much as I like my Commodores (particularly the first gen) the FG in my books is a clear winner over the VE for this sort of work.

The media may criticise the seating position relative to the steering wheel, but this only affects entry & exit. Once you're in, you can do 10 hour stints, stopping only for fuel & toilet, then get out at the end & feel like you can do it all again.

In the VE I was not as comfortable - perhaps because of the leather seats (I have cloth in the FG), but the FG is a noticeable step up in the long-distance comfort over the VE. Last trip I did in the VE was Syd>Melb solo, and for the last hour I was ready to jump out. In the FG I can do a few hours more before I've had enough.
Compared to the BA2 XR6 I also had for a while, the FG isn't that different, but I only took the XR6 on 5-6 hour trips - it was very good though, and I'd assume the BA/BF would exhibit the same comfort levels - after all, they're practically the same seats and suspension (sedan vs sedan) and the wagons do ride well for a live axle car.

The LPi is fantastic - I've had mine since they first released them, and can't let it go. It's a real shame they didn't put it into the territory as well.

Not sure I'd want to transplant the LPi & ZF into a Commodore though - if you needed the wagon, then yes, it's your only option (a Mondeo style wagon tail on the FG would have been nice). But in a sedan, I'd take the FG LPi over any VE/VF V6 commodore - gas or petrol, for the combination of long distance comfort, economy & performance aspects.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2017, 12:56 PM   #74
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
I had an LV tdci Focus. Got consistent low 5's on the freeway. Ruined by the powershift tranny, not available in manual diesel.
Yes they are, I have a manual LV TDCI.

The LV was the last of the manual diesel Focus, the LW went to auto only with that crappy Powershift box and now they don't sell the TDCI in our market.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2017, 01:07 PM   #75
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Yes they are, I have a manual LV TDCI.

The LV was the last of the manual diesel Focus, the LW went to auto only with that crappy Powershift box and now they don't sell the TDCI in our market.
diesel powershift is wet clutch version, which is a good box. probably smoother than zf. not to be confused with the dry clutch version in the petrol models that is giving trouble.

diesel focus or mondeo would be a good choice i reckon. i drove a focus from syd to adel, and was super impressed with how it felt on the road. definitely feels like a much bigger car. focus has always been one of the heaviest small cars which probably helps it feel quite stable at highway speeds.

not saying falcon wouldn't be a very capable car, but for 50k km/yr, i'd look at diesel. if you are worried about access to parts, then although this is a ford forum, something like a hilux would have the best parts availability on the market. probably not that well equipped or comfortable though. not sure if a ranger is available in your price range but also a good option and a lot more comfy than hilux.

the only thing with some modern diesel passenger cars is the DPF, but with your sort of km's it wouldn't be a problem.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2017, 01:18 PM   #76
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I don't think there is a DPF on the TDCI Focus ... Damo would know.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2017, 01:54 PM   #77
jobeli

Yep. Need a wagon and a 2010 EGAS bf3 is just too old hence the commodore. If I was after a sedan, then it would definitely be a no brainer, falcon ecolpi.
But I stumbled by accident across this late model Ve sports wagon anditseemed to tick all the boxes. Time will tell.
jobeli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2017, 02:27 PM   #78
XR6_power

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
diesel powershift is wet clutch version, which is a good box. probably smoother than zf. not to be confused with the dry clutch version in the petrol models that is giving trouble.

diesel focus or mondeo would be a good choice i reckon. i drove a focus from syd to adel, and was super impressed with how it felt on the road. definitely feels like a much bigger car. focus has always been one of the heaviest small cars which probably helps it feel quite stable at highway speeds.

not saying falcon wouldn't be a very capable car, but for 50k km/yr, i'd look at diesel. if you are worried about access to parts, then although this is a ford forum, something like a hilux would have the best parts availability on the market. probably not that well equipped or comfortable though. not sure if a ranger is available in your price range but also a good option and a lot more comfy than hilux.

the only thing with some modern diesel passenger cars is the DPF, but with your sort of km's it wouldn't be a problem.
All fair comments/opinions but I keep coming back to the lack of long term longevity of the turbochargers. They have a limited life and are expensive to rebuild/replace. We need to remember the budget of the thread starter is quite low too...Hence a Falcon on gas being up on the list IMO.

[/B][/FONT]
Old 28-01-2017, 02:48 PM   #79
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_power View Post
All fair comments/opinions but I keep coming back to the lack of long term longevity of the turbochargers. They have a limited life and are expensive to rebuild/replace.
can you back this up with facts?

turbo diesels have been around for a long long time with proven reliability.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2017, 04:16 PM   #80
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k View Post
If you are getting a small diesel with dpf, check the engineering. Early cars with dpf had the dpf along the exhaust pipes which meant that the exhaust gasses had time to cool and lost the temp to burn and clean the dpf.

There were lots of failures and dpf regenerations needed.

Honda in the Honda Civic 1.6 turbo diesel put the dpf almost into the exhaust manifold so that the gasses are hot and fry the dpf clean.

My wife has 75,000 km on her little Honda Diesel, she is averaging 5.2 litres per 100 around town. Not had dpf warning or need for regeneration come on once despite most of her driving being to and from the shops and running the kids to work and school etc.

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2017, 06:04 PM   #81
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does a DPF in a car do a burn the same as EGR systems do in trucks?

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2017, 07:59 PM   #82
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
All fair comments/opinions but I keep coming back to the lack of long term longevity of the turbochargers. They have a limited life and are expensive to rebuild/replace. We need to remember the budget of the thread starter is quite low too...Hence a Falcon on gas being up on the list IMO.
The turbos go eh? My LT 2008 TDCI Focus turbo diesel up to 277500kms no turbo issues. Just ran 390 km return trip at speed limits all the way Gold Coast -Toowoomba and return no problems done 1100kms again this week.
I,m that confident in Fords 4 cylinder turbos that I went to Toowoomba to trade my diesel on a 2015 (turbo) ecoboost Ford Focus LZ which I expect to run to 200000kms. Pick it up on Wednesday.
kevino is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2017, 08:12 PM   #83
XR6_power

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
The turbos go eh? My LT 2008 TDCI Focus turbo diesel up to 277500kms no turbo issues. Just ran 390 km return trip at speed limits all the way Gold Coast -Toowoomba and return no problems done 1100kms again this week.
I,m that confident in Fords 4 cylinder turbos that I went to Toowoomba to trade my diesel on a 2015 (turbo) ecoboost Ford Focus LZ which I expect to run to 200000kms. Pick it up on Wednesday.
That's great, I'm happy that you've had a good run out of your Focus, but plenty of Falcon I6 engines have gone around the clock, mainly as taxis, how many turbos have? There was a reason the i6 Falcons were the vehicle of choice for taxi companies for a long time...

[/B][/FONT]
Old 28-01-2017, 09:03 PM   #84
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post

The wet box still sucks, ask Yellow_Festiva about his LV TDCI with that crappy DSG, his spat the trans at under 70,000km.

Quote:
LV doesn't but LW has.

Avoid anything with a DPF, some Euro IV diesels have DPFs and others don't.

Its basically mandatory on Euro V cars.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2017, 10:40 PM   #85
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
That's great, I'm happy that you've had a good run out of your Focus, but plenty of Falcon I6 engines have gone around the clock, mainly as taxis, how many turbos have? There was a reason the i6 Falcons were the vehicle of choice for taxi companies for a long time...
I also can't recall a turbo failing on a car that doesn't have one...
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2017, 12:02 AM   #86
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Another tick for the Egas Wagons here.

Just did a return trip Adelaide to Melbourne over 3 days in my BF3 and thoroughly enjoyed the drive, came home feeling as fresh as before I left.

Didn't really pay much attention on the way over but filled up in Sunbury on the Wednesday morning, drove back to Melton where we were staying and then back to Sunbury on the Thursday before heading straight back to Adelaide. Didn't even look sideways at a service station and still had a range of 150k on the trip computer when we rolled in to the driveway back at home, that's with the A/C on from Sunbury until we got to Glen Osmond.

Old mate Tom brought us back via Bendigo, St Arnaud and Minyip and onto the highway at Dimboola, the scenic route for sure.

We did 1570kms over 3 days for a total cost of $120 in gas.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 29-01-2017, 10:35 PM   #87
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
They don't do this real-world ... I know someone with one ... and he can't even get close to the claimed figures.
Ok , fair enough mate, i would probably still buy it , you could probably pretty much guess its going to be a mostly no problems type car as long as it is reasonably well maintained , i reckon it will be a no fuss vehicle to own , it probably wont need anything out of the ordinary that needs replacement until its got a good amount of k`s up on it , white goods are not so bad ;) .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2017, 09:00 AM   #88
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If the goal is simply the cheapest possible motoring LPG powered AU might be the answer. They are cheap to buy (because most are already sitting on over 200k) and relatively cheap to run. They are generally past their use by date by now.
On the other hand any modern medium to large car will easily do long distance travel and be efficient while doing it.
Fear of turbos is unjustified - they last the life of the car in most cases. I would rather have a turbo (diesel or petrol) than a LPG powered car from a reliability perspective.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2017, 09:32 PM   #89
Swordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
We did 1570kms over 3 days for a total cost of $120 in gas.
That's excellent.
Swordie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2017, 10:44 PM   #90
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordie View Post
That's excellent.
Yep, certainly is.
Returned 11l/100km at an average price of roughly 70cpl.
Paid 73.7cpl in Adelaide before I left and 65.9cpl in Sunbury.

That's with 2 adult men the wrong side of 115kg...lol
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post