Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-02-2010, 10:35 PM   #61
Outback
Banned

Last edited by Outback; 12-02-2010 at 10:41 PM.
Outback is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 10:38 PM   #62
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback
I rang Walkinshaw Performance today and they say $87.000 drive away. and any HSV dealer will cover the warranty.
What the kit??!!!
Tell me this, what's the price of a new E2 GTS drive away?

Old 12-02-2010, 10:39 PM   #63
Outback
Banned

I rang Walkinshaw Performance today and they say $87.000 drive away. and any HSV dealer will cover the warranty.and you buy the car direct from them you dont buy a HSV and then deliver it to walkingshaw , god its the same company remember walkinshaw owns HSV.
And nowhere on the car or on the website does it say its a HSV.

Last edited by Outback; 12-02-2010 at 10:46 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:44 PM   #64
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I rang Walkinshaw Performance today and they say $87.000 drive away. and any HSV dealer will cover the warranty.and you buy the car direct from them you dont buy a HSV and then deliver it to walkingshaw , god its the same company remember walkinshaw owns HSV.
Wrong... $87K drive away is the price of a std un modified E2 GTS......

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...=175&silo=1011

Old 12-02-2010, 10:53 PM   #65
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippytaka
The first one we built of these got yellow stickered due to the paint not being the original colour.

Standard they are just a cammed SS. Supercharger can be optioned.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 11:01 PM   #66
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220
The first one we built of these got yellow stickered due to the paint not being the original colour.

Standard they are just a cammed SS. Supercharger can be optioned.

How can a car get a yellow sticker because it is not the original paint colour, what a load of BS
Old 12-02-2010, 11:04 PM   #67
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
How can a car get a yellow sticker because it is not the original paint colour, what a load of BS
Actually i think he might be right.... if the car color doesnt match the compliance plate "technically" its a problem... Not sure what's required to get past that one.
The HDT cars start out the factory color, i think they ask you to order black? then get stripped and repainted.

The W427's painted panorama had to go through a similar strip/repaint too, and were plated by HSV diferently.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:13 PM   #68
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Yeah thats what happened.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 11:49 PM   #69
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Actually i think he might be right.... if the car color doesnt match the compliance plate "technically" its a problem... Not sure what's required to get past that one.
The HDT cars start out the factory color, i think they ask you to order black? then get stripped and repainted.

The W427's painted panorama had to go through a similar strip/repaint too, and were plated by HSV diferently.

That is an administrative bungle, the dealer should have noted the colour change, especially considering it is unique to the model. Makes me wonder how much lip the owner gave the cop too, most cops would not sticker the car as it is not a "safety issue" that affects the vehicles road worthiness. It is a registration issue and most cops would have checked the VIN, agreed it was the car and that it was probably delivered in that colour and asked the owner to rectify the registration details.

Either a really grumpy and nasty cop or a owner that gave a heap of lip (I think this is more likely).
Old 12-02-2010, 11:52 PM   #70
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
http://www.walkinshawperformance.com.au/wp/au/news/news.asp?ID=355

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinshaw
In addition and in a real industry break through, Walkinshaw Performance customers can now warranty their supercharger modification for the balance of their new vehicle warranty at no extra cost.

The warranty covers the driveline of the vehicle.

Walkinshaw Performance Program Engineer, Alan Hale said the WP team were proud of the new Walkinshaw E2 Supercar.

*Only available to vehicles under new car warranty. There is no provision for warranty on vehicles not currently under new car warranty.
Try again.......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2010, 12:05 AM   #71
Outback
Banned

try again what ? you have explained nothing .
Old 13-02-2010, 12:09 AM   #72
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
try again what ? you have explained nothing .
READ the walkinshaw release.....

*Only available to vehicles under new car warranty. There is no provision for warranty on vehicles not currently under new car warranty

Its a kit fitted to existing cars, NOT a new car.... You buy a GTS from HSV and get the kit fitted to it... A std GTS is around 87k on road, add some bigger brakes and sat nav etc and its over 90K on road.
By the way Walkinshaw Performance IS NOT HSV, they are seperate entities.

Walkinshaw performance do not sell new cars...

Old 13-02-2010, 12:22 AM   #73
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
READ the walkinshaw release.....

*Only available to vehicles under new car warranty. There is no provision for warranty on vehicles not currently under new car warranty

Its a kit fitted to existing cars, NOT a new car.... You buy a GTS from HSV and get the kit fitted to it... A std GTS is around 87k on road, add some bigger brakes and sat nav etc and its over 90K on road.
By the way Walkinshaw Performance IS NOT HSV, they are seperate entities.

Walkinshaw performance do not sell new cars...
Not a lot of separation between the two entities in this.

Quote:
Walkinshaw is a name synonymous with success both on and off the track. In 1987 Tom Walkinshaw’s relationship with GM Holden began. The high performance HSV business model has since gained a worldwide reputation for exciting and inspired road cars.

Our motorsport heritage gives the Walkinshaw Performance team a disciplined approach to everything we do. Victory in motorsport only comes through rigorous evaluation, planning, preparation and excellence in all aspects of the operation. Now that culture has been applied to offer an exciting new level of professionalism to the world of aftermarket modifications.

Few can claim to know Commodore and HSV cars like Walkinshaw Performance. Our range of products have been evaluated for their genuine contribution to improved performance and vehicle dynamics.

Every vehicle who has a genuine Walkinshaw Performance product fitted to their vehicle receives a certificate of authenticity.
Yes HSV is a separate entity, it is a joint venture between Walkinshaw and Holden. I am sure Walkinshaw performance will get considerable support from both HSV and Holden in the marketing, sales and service on this package. Just because it is technically aftermarket does not mean it has to be seen by the customer before it is fitted.

An example of this is I can order JCW components on a new Mini and never see the car before they are fitted. Order the car, order the enhancements and pick it up with those enhancements in place. Before you ask, yes the JCW parts are aftermarket, BMW does not own John Cooper Works, the Cooper family does (the only exception is the Mini Cooper Factory JCW which is a combined effort of BMW and John Cooper Works). Why does everyone believe this Walkinshaw could not operate the same way?
Old 13-02-2010, 12:33 AM   #74
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:

Yes HSV is a separate entity, it is a joint venture between Walkinshaw and Holden. I am sure Walkinshaw performance will get considerable support from both HSV and Holden in the marketing, sales and service on this package. Just because it is technically aftermarket does not mean it has to be seen by the customer before it is fitted.

An example of this is I can order JCW components on a new Mini and never see the car before they are fitted. Order the car, order the enhancements and pick it up with those enhancements in place. Before you ask, yes the JCW parts are aftermarket, BMW does not own John Cooper Works, the Cooper family does (the only exception is the Mini Cooper Factory JCW which is a combined effort of BMW and John Cooper Works). Why does everyone believe this Walkinshaw could not operate the same way?
What your aiming at is point of sale JCW or Tom Walksores are no different to getting that paint protection or window tinting it is just an add on, all this happens before the customer picks up the car. This is still after market work is it only a deal between the modifier & the dealer principle in that area?

Last edited by cosmo20btt; 13-02-2010 at 12:41 AM.
cosmo20btt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2010, 12:44 AM   #75
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinshaw
In addition and in a real industry break through, Walkinshaw Performance customers can now warranty their supercharger modification for the balance of their new vehicle warranty at no extra cost.

The warranty covers the driveline of the vehicle.

Walkinshaw Performance Program Engineer, Alan Hale said the WP team were proud of the new Walkinshaw E2 Supercar.

*Only available to vehicles under new car warranty. There is no provision for warranty on vehicles not currently under new car warranty.
My understanding is that it is a play on words. Warranty is implied, however only delivered to the work actually carried out.

Think about, doesn't that heap have the same ZF box as the Ford. Ever heard of one those in standard issue handling more than 600Nm.

Furthermore, it is marketed as a "Walkinshaw". It has nothing to do with HSV. (Except conning you into buying another of Toms products. Walkinshaw is a seperate company. Why have a seperate company. So you can milk it before becomes insolvent. Wasn't Tom Walkinshaw bankrupt a few short years ago. Didn't he come back and screw Mark Scaife over for $3 mil?

I don't hate this car because the opposition did it . I hate it because Tom Walkinshaw is behind it. (HSV is regarded as a leader in "marketing"). Because the warranty would be so riddled with clauses you would need a solicitor for the most minor of issues. I hate it because of Holdens attitude to me as a customer when I had a lemon car. I could go on.

But ultimately I am afraid that my old fella is too large (Probably anyone else with more than 3 inches would be too) for a car that has 480Kw and looks like this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped

Maybe Tom ****ishaw would be better suited to it.

BTW, If Ford made it, I wouldn't want it either. That price range I would look at an M3 or AMG C63.
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2010, 12:50 AM   #76
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Lol...what a lot of sour grapes..

Who cares if its not a factory model, neither were the original HDT vehicles but they still have a following and so does Walkinshaw.

I see this as a tactical idea by Holden to crush the new Ford v8's before theyre released and they've done it without risking another supercar scandal.
Claiming it to be an aftermarket product shifts the heat from them to the tuner who just happens to control Holdens performance offerings.

I have no doubt they'll cover any warranty issues.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2010, 12:51 AM   #77
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Whats the badge in the middle of the boot? And the sticker on the rear window?

Can't believe they found room for more badging .... must have dropped a few dozen. They make the E1's look classy!

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2010, 12:53 AM   #78
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Not sure what you mean by this, but as for the bold. I ordered a new WRX in '99. I said I wanted the mirrors, door handles and side skirts painted in body colour. I never saw the car, it arrived at the dealer, went to a paint shop, went back to the yard, and then I was called. I don't know who painted, I didn't care. I knew if I had an issue, I would have been pointed straight to the painter. The painter was not associated with the dealer.

Quote:
Why does everyone believe this Walkinshaw could not operate the same way?
Your answer is highlighted. If this was genuine, and all that it is "marketed" to
be, it would be sold under HSV. But alas probably sell a few, wait for the warranty claims, then fold like origami.
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2010, 12:54 AM   #79
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
Quote:

My understanding is that it is a play on words. Warranty is implied, however only delivered to the work actually carried out.

Think about, doesn't that heap have the same ZF box as the Ford. Ever heard of one those in standard issue handling more than 600Nm.

Furthermore, it is marketed as a "Walkinshaw". It has nothing to do with HSV. (Except conning you into buying another of Toms products. Walkinshaw is a seperate company. Why have a seperate company. So you can milk it before becomes insolvent. Wasn't Tom Walkinshaw bankrupt a few short years ago. Didn't he come back and screw Mark Scaife over for $3 mil?

I don't hate this car because the opposition did it . I hate it because Tom Walkinshaw is behind it. (HSV is regarded as a leader in "marketing"). Because the warranty would be so riddled with clauses you would need a solicitor for the most minor of issues. I hate it because of Holdens attitude to me as a customer when I had a lemon car. I could go on.

But ultimately I am afraid that my old fella is too large (Probably anyone else with more than 3 inches would be too) for a car that has 480Kw and looks like this:

Maybe Tom ****ishaw would be better suited to it.

BTW, If Ford made it, I wouldn't want it either. That price range I would look at an M3 or AMG C63.
When TW designed that hideous wreck, did say to put all the good features of a Holden on & just so no one else would bother, put all other types of styles on as well.
cosmo20btt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2010, 06:50 AM   #80
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo20btt
What your aiming at is point of sale JCW or Tom Walksores are no different to getting that paint protection or window tinting it is just an add on, all this happens before the customer picks up the car. This is still after market work is it only a deal between the modifier & the dealer principle in that area?
You are on the right track but the dealer principle has nothing to do with it, it is a deal between the manufacturer (HSV) and the tuner (Walkinshaw Performance), of which one of the parent companies is involved in both (TWR).
Old 13-02-2010, 08:19 AM   #81
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is an accounting link between WP and the Parent company but Walkinshaw Performance was set up as a stand alone aftermarket tuner to offer enhancements for 3 primary reasons:
1) to avoid the wrath of Holden for failing to meet the internal product design and durability standards that HSV have to meet.
2) to avoid the explicit warranty implications that these enhancements compromise
3) to avoid the need to meet the explicit EPA and ADR standards that a car manufacturer needs to meet.

Gecko, to answer your question you can order a GTS from HSV, order the WP enhancements, the HSV dealer will receive your car from HSV, send it to WP and get the stuff fitted then receive the vehicle back, pre deliver it and sell it to you.
FPV dealers can and will do the same thing for you, Herrod have done plenty of work through dealers pre delivery, i had stuff done in the past that was invoiced as part of the new car sale, it doesnt mean its not an aftermarket modification though.
Yes i agree its a clever idea to work off a Name used in the past by HSV, but in this instance its marketing spin.

Last edited by 4Vman; 13-02-2010 at 08:31 AM.
4Vman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2010, 11:57 AM   #82
Gaz
Got Ghia?

Why does everyone seem to think that you can avoid ADR/EPA regs by doing it this way? It's quite simple, if the car is changed from how it leaves the manufacturing plant then it can be required to be tested at any time. Unless it is recomplienced with the changes.

I do wonder about how warranty claims will go, do they take over driveline warranty in it's complete form, or only against manufacturing defects? If HSV won't go past 550nm for the auto box and diff because they claim it is at it's limits how do they expect 480 and 800nm to not destroy it?
Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2010, 02:23 PM   #83
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
There is an accounting link between WP and the Parent company but Walkinshaw Performance was set up as a stand alone aftermarket tuner to offer enhancements for 3 primary reasons:
1) to avoid the wrath of Holden for failing to meet the internal product design and durability standards that HSV have to meet.
2) to avoid the explicit warranty implications that these enhancements compromise
3) to avoid the need to meet the explicit EPA and ADR standards that a car manufacturer needs to meet.

Gecko, to answer your question you can order a GTS from HSV, order the WP enhancements, the HSV dealer will receive your car from HSV, send it to WP and get the stuff fitted then receive the vehicle back, pre deliver it and sell it to you.
FPV dealers can and will do the same thing for you, Herrod have done plenty of work through dealers pre delivery, i had stuff done in the past that was invoiced as part of the new car sale, it doesnt mean its not an aftermarket modification though.
Yes i agree its a clever idea to work off a Name used in the past by HSV, but in this instance its marketing spin.
Agree with you completely. This is my point, I have not said it is not aftermarket because it is. The dangerous ground for HSV is many potential and actual buyers will make the association between HSV and Walkinshaw Performance as being two entities under one umbrella. This situation is not helped by the fact that both HSV and Walkinshaw Performance make a big point of mentioning their connection with TWR in their promotion material, a simple website check demonstrates this.

Therefore buyers will expect to have trouble free motoring with this product, from a warranty and legal perspective, end of story. Anything less than trouble free will cause ill feeling and I highly doubt HSV will be able to distance themselves from that, no matter what TWR says regarding who is involved with who. In my opinion the end result of their "marketing spin" is the customer will have the attitude of "I don't care who fixes the problem, just fix it". Personally I think the customer will be quite justified in this attitude, they advertised it. Anything less than this will be bad business and likely to bite TWR, Walkinshaw Performance and HSV on the backside.

I see your point about Herrods and FPV but there are two luxuries that these companies have that the TWR group do not. The first is there is no public link between Herrods and FPV, they are publicly two clearly separate companies and therefore the actions of one will not affect the other to any great degree. They can play the blame game more easily if that makes sense. The second is that Herrods never claim they will cover the entire driveline warranty for the duration of the new car warranty, they cover their work and they are clear on that. FPV never claim that work by Herrods is ok and they will cover the driveline warranty. In fact they are very clear that any modifications are likely to void the driveline warranty, "you play, you pay" situation. This keeps it nice and simple and the customer is aware of this.

I use the JCW/Mini (BMW) example as this is a fine example of how the Walkinshaw Performance warranty process that they have implied in their marketing will have to work for that implication to be factual and for them to meet market expectation.

Example, I can order a Mini Cooper S Chilli (about $50k), have a JCW engine tuning kit, brembo brake package, CF interior and exterior parts, JCW suspension with coil overs, strut braces, body kit, 18" wheels and airbag Recaro seats fitted before I take delivery. Every part of this package is then covered for the duration of the 3 year/unlimited km warranty and any BMW service centre can look after warranty issues. I could see how the buyer of a $140k commodore marketed as these have, would be annoyed if they receive anything less than the JCW/Mini example.
Old 13-02-2010, 08:36 PM   #84
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6 FOON
Just found this on LS1

http://www.walkinshawperformance.com.au/wp/au/

Can't see anything like this coming from the Ford stable or its associates, full waranty for the balance of the new car warranty from Holden.

I am not convinced this is a good product to be embracing. Cars like these wreck any chance of a proper hero car being made in this country.

Spend five minutes on the LS1 forum and you will be faced with the comparison with the W427 and its cost. Its brand destroying stuff when there is so much dilution and misdirection.

Questions and the mind set of individuals in question prove that such a concept cannot work in this country. Twice the cost should equate to twice the performance in their minds and it so far off base that it’s laughable.

Instead of gleaming greater acceptance for the engineering breadth that is required to develop these cars, such kit applications send the message back to the Stone Age.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2010, 08:47 PM   #85
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
I am not convinced this is a good product to be embracing. Cars like these wreck any chance of a proper hero car being made in this country.

Spend five minutes on the LS1 forum and you will be faced with the comparison with the W427 and its cost. Its brand destroying stuff when there is so much dilution and misdirection.

Questions and the mind set of individuals in question prove that such a concept cannot work in this country. Twice the cost should equate to twice the performance in their minds and it so far off base that it’s laughable.

Instead of gleaming greater acceptance for the engineering breadth that is required to develop these cars, such kit applications send the message back to the Stone Age.
your on the money, this will hurt HSV that is not yet evident.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2010, 08:57 PM   #86
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
your on the money, this will hurt HSV that is not yet evident.
I know quite a few people including myself that knew HSV would do this to W427 owners,
when they struggled to sell the last few we said that HSV will go S/C LS3 in a lower cost
vehicle leaving W427 owners dazed at how quickly their 7.0 was made redundant...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2010, 09:20 PM   #87
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
I know quite a few people including myself that knew HSV would do this to W427 owners,
when they struggled to sell the last few we said that HSV will go S/C LS3 in a lower cost
vehicle leaving W427 owners dazed at how quickly their 7.0 was made redundant...

Not really, the W427 was factory and limited in production, this is not. I think W427 owners will still be comfortable they have something special.
Old 13-02-2010, 09:32 PM   #88
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Look at the good side here.

While ever there is a ridiculously powerful Holden of some description regardless of whether it is OEM or AME there is no way that a Ford oriented "supercar" scare can take place. The anti Ford journos cannot strike for fear of collateral damage......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2010, 09:41 PM   #89
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist

While ever there is a ridiculously powerful Holden of some description regardless of whether it is OEM or AME there is no way that a Ford oriented "supercar" scare can take place. The anti Ford journos cannot strike for fear of collateral damage......
speaking from the other side, top post. ha ha
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2010, 09:52 PM   #90
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist

Good point!

C'mon FPV, up the boost man!