Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-01-2010, 08:29 PM   #61
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

I will shortly have the FPV vs HSV comparative data (just waiting for December to arrive) but there is no data that I know of for the FoA breakdown.

I shall ask and see if they have them available.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2010, 10:43 PM   #62
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw
Fixed now.

It was an error in the formula.

Cheers
Russ
So I asked the question that got you the 3,000,000th post - well done ;)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2010, 12:49 AM   #63
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Russell, thanks for the graphs and the write-up, they were well worth the read.

I know why the Mondeo isn't selling. It's butt ugly. It's face reminds me of Avalon's.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:11 AM   #64
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
I know why the Mondeo isn't selling. It's butt ugly. It's face reminds me of Avalon's.
I don't mind the Titanian & XR5 models for looks on the outside(Zeta looks crap).. But the inside dash is terrible on all models..
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2010, 01:35 AM   #65
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Russell, thanks for the graphs and the write-up, they were well worth the read.

Harsh...too harsh youssef. I've disagreed with you over this one before i know but i can't see the logic in your argument...unless of course you dislike all kinetic styled fords?? (inc. FG). It has a touch too much chrome for me but other than that it is pretty standard kinetic design themes. Trapezoidal lower grille, pushed back lights etc. If anything it is the rear end that gets more complaints (and for the record everyone i've shown the mondeo too loves it...). Either way, hardly worhty of 'avalon' references.

Besides, we both know styling hasn't nearly any where near as much to do with sales as people will have you believe. The new car sales charts are covered in high selling poorly styled vehicles. Toyota anyone.....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2010, 01:47 AM   #66
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

There is a major difference between the Mondeo and FG.

I wouldnt be seen taking my nana to a do in a Mondeo but would make sure she would take photos if I dropped her off in an FG!

Perception is everything!! The FG looks cool while the Mondeo in my opinion....well...nothing to write in the year book!!

And yes...Toyota have come along way...if it wasnt for the XB Coupe..I would be Pro Toyota all the way!! Have had my Rav4 since 2004 and I love it!! Absolutely love it! although fuel economy could be better but that is beside the point..

Ford are doing a great job but they are failing to listen to consumer feedback. Why ask for it if you dont want it?

(Gets ready for the flames...)
Old 08-01-2010, 02:00 AM   #67
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
There is a major difference between the Mondeo and FG.

I wouldnt be seen taking my nana to a do in a Mondeo but would make sure she would take photos if I dropped her off in an FG!

Perception is everything!! The FG looks cool while the Mondeo in my opinion....well...nothing to write in the year book!!

And yes...Toyota have come along way...if it wasnt for the XB Coupe..I would be Pro Toyota all the way!! Have had my Rav4 since 2004 and I love it!! Absolutely love it! although fuel economy could be better but that is beside the point..

Ford are doing a great job but they are failing to listen to consumer feedback. Why ask for it if you dont want it?

(Gets ready for the flames...)
Well i hope you can express such views without getting flamed frankly....doesn't say much for a forum that does. I am very anti-toyota generally, so i won't go there. Its not really styling niether...more to do with underlying engineering and the way they set their cars up. Basically it's my own objection but if you like a car then so be it....not my place to say otherwise....

As for Mondeo like i say, i've been a fan of its styling since it first launched in europe. For me, while i like the surfacing of the FG it is a tad too conservative (though i realise that has been done for a reason...).Mondeo is more edgy and chunky then FG....maybe this is why some don't like it.

Funny thing is that in europe it is now seen as being quite conservative (it has been out a while), cars like the opel insignia are much more 'out there'. Its all taste i suppose. As i said, most people i speak to like it. I drove on a pre-launch test from FoMoCo here in brisbane (there weren't even any at dealers at that time) and got ALOT of interested looks from people during the 1hr drive i spotted a good 10 people looking at the car.....there were even patrons of the golf club that Ford was using as the base coming up and asking questions about it.

I'm not entirely sure if the heavy Falcon support has not closed people's minds to the mondeo. Sure the FG is a great car, and the mondeo may not styled quite the same, but i think Ford fan's themselves undervalue the vehicle. Of course, the competitive deals on FGs mean its tempting to go that way....oh and the significntly greater horsepower is another LOL!

EDIT: It's worth point out that the 'premium' end of the medium car market is not that big, so with mazda 6 and honda accord having such an existing rep, its not easy for Ford to make headway. To me, it seems as though it is the non-existing Ford buyers that need to be lured in...only then will mondeo build a nameplate for itself. Either way, with ecoboost engines on the horizone with lower fuel burn and even better performance i hope it gets to stick around....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 08-01-2010, 02:20 AM   #68
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

The FG is rather "chunky"

Was Ford going for a stylised look?? It certainly does not appear so!
Old 08-01-2010, 02:24 AM   #69
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
Harsh...too harsh youssef. I've disagreed with you over this one before i know but i can't see the logic in your argument...unless of course you dislike all kinetic styled fords?? (inc. FG). It has a touch too much chrome for me but other than that it is pretty standard kinetic design themes. Trapezoidal lower grille, pushed back lights etc. If anything it is the rear end that gets more complaints (and for the record everyone i've shown the mondeo too loves it...). Either way, hardly worhty of 'avalon' references.

Besides, we both know styling hasn't nearly any where near as much to do with sales as people will have you believe. The new car sales charts are covered in high selling poorly styled vehicles. Toyota anyone.....
The headlights are specifically what I don't like about it. Same with the taillights. Poorly executed. They did a better job with the TD Cortina. Talk about "Jap crap", how about Euro trash?

Avalon, Keelan, is the epitome of dullness and outright boredom (when I look at one I feel like it has to be written off to look better). It's almost as ugly as VE, and ties in second ugliest car of all time with the Ssangyong Actyon. Datsun 120Y is a master stroke next to the Avalon.

Now, the fact that Mondeo's headlights have even the slightest resemblance to Avalon's, dear swordy, now that is bad my friend.

I'm not talking about the general theme, but the face, which looks good if you were to cover it's eyes, the Avalon eyes, Keelan. It has the body of Elle, and the face of Susan Boyle. Who has a nice voice, by the way.
Old 08-01-2010, 02:29 AM   #70
Geez Louise
Awesome

I could not agree more!! Are we the only ones going against the trend?

Well I have always been a trend setter and NEVER liked MC Hammer Pants..(who was wrong...I ask you?!!) and I still say on the whole...Ford Australia have it wrong....Market to its strengths...not it;s weakenesses....
Old 08-01-2010, 02:32 AM   #71
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
The headlights are specifically what I don't like about it. Same with the taillights. Poorly executed. They did a better job with the TD Cortina. Talk about "Jap crap", how about Euro trash?

Avalon, Keelan, is the epitome of dullness and outright boredom (when I look at one I feel like it has to be written off to look better). It's almost as ugly as VE, and ties in second ugliest car of all time with the Ssangyong Actyon. Datsun 120Y is a master stroke next to the Avalon.

Now, the fact that Mondeo's headlights have even the slightest resemblance to Avalon's, dear swordy, now that is bad my friend.

I'm not talking about the general theme, but the face, which looks good if you were to cover it's eyes, the Avalon eyes, Keelan. It has the body of Elle, and the face of Susan Boyle. Who has a nice voice, by the way.
Face of susan boyle....geezus that does sound bad!! Ok that wasn't nice, but you made me do it.....

Everyone agrees the avalon is poorly styled. In fact the 'updated' model they released made it look worse. Funny though because most of the other kinetic models dont' run the mondeo style headlights...sure they are all pushed back but they have been cut different. Maybe they are working on a different angle now.....

How about fiesta headlights...now that is a headlight (if they go back much more they will join the a pillar LOL!) And it sells quite a bit better then the old model...oh if manufacturers could just get the headlights right imagine how much better many cars would look....

PS. RE the VE...yes that is a car with a very very overhanded bit of styling. Super chunky i call it......

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 08-01-2010, 03:01 AM   #72
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Fiesta's headlights have a similar THEME to that of Mondeo. And they're executed a lot better, and have no resemblance to that... thing.

It looks like it's face has been used as a door stop. Note the kink! An evolution of this is the Mondeo.

Mondeo needs a paper bag over it's head. Or maybe some very very dark sunglasses. Can anyone photoshop this with a 120Y front end?

No startled looking eyes here.

I took this way off track, sorry. But I'm right. It's ugly. Colleen agrees with me, I rest my case.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:25 AM   #73
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz
Get your hand off it mate, the VE has been widely praised for its chassis/handling.
Think what you will - the handling is absolutley terrible. My work has plenty of leased VE Omega's. Go around a corner at anything over 20km/h and the ESC light blinks. The fact that it is relying on electronics to get its woeful chassis around a corner says a lot about the underlying engineering.

Female friend driving the Omega in the wet, light throttle, back end kept stepping out before being arrested by ESC. The fact a non-car enthusiast can't drive the thing without it constantly lighting up ESC and stepping out everwhere is pretty bad in my eyes.

Apart from that the electronics are all falling apart - stereo always shuts down randomly as does the A/C (very common in VE's). The electrical gremlins are all well known don't know how anyone can dispute them.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2010, 07:33 PM   #74
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...2576A4007CB907

Falcon only dropped 2.9 percent on last year.

Quote:
Large

THE once-all-important large-car segment – now almost half the size of the small-car market – is still the major battleground for the local car-makers, and Holden’s Commodore prevailed for the 14th consecutive year.

The big Holden notched 44,387 sales – down 13.1 per cent on 2008 – to not only dispatch Ford’s Falcon (31,023 units, down 2.9 per cent), but also hold out Toyota’s Corolla for the overall industry crown.

Toyota’s Aurion again was along to make up the numbers with 13,910 units, down a brow-furrowing 28.9 per cent.

The top import large car was the Thai-made Honda Accord, which slipped 20.9 per cent year on year.

The worry for the local manufacturers is the rate of decline of this segment, down a further 15.1 per cent in 2009, again about double the fall of the market in general. And petrol prices were relatively low in 2009 ...

In the expensive end of the large-car market, above $70,000, it was a race in one with the Mercedes-Benz E-class crunching all comers with a 50 per cent volume increase to 1762 units and a segment share of 40.9 per cent.

Next best was BMW’s 5 Series with 804 units after heading south to the tune of 41.9 per cent, followed by the Audi A6 which flat-lined on 582 units.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:54 PM   #75
SVR73
Mr Polish

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
i'm perplexed how ford brought out a brand new falcon . who most ford owners agree is the best falcon to date , yet they are way behind holden commadore , toyota and mazda, ford should be baffled that they can produce a comparative some say better sedan , yet fall way back in marcket share with the falcon . that must be really disheartening .
Dont like the FG myself but it is a better car than the commodore but again, ford are crap at marketing.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:06 PM   #76
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

The Mondeo presents an interesting dilemna. From a distance I have mistaken the upper models for a G6E (blame the chrome or my old eyes) but it is a very effective package in terms of internal dimensions and value added features but probably priced too close to Falcon at similar specification levels.

We can expect the Falcon to head in the same fundamental styling direction - the FG a case in point - and with the similar packaging buyers are a bit spoilt for choice. I'm not suggesting that Mondeo will steal signifcant sales from Falcon (there isn't enough volume for it to have any major impact) but it is a viable alternative if space and the choice of more fuel efficient powertrains are on the shopping list.

It's a bit different from the Cortina era - as a package the Cortina offered considerably less interior room than Falcons of the era but this is not the case with Mondeo which near enough matches (or exceeds) the FG.

The only major drawback I can see in the Mondeo is the fairly average performance in the petrol version - it is a heavy car for the external dimensions and it merits a powerplant that does it justice. Even the turbo (which works so well in the Focus) is hardly a ball tearer when saddled witht the extra mass of the Mondeo.

I'd be interested to see the model breakdown for Mondeo - but I'd be fairly sure it's heavily slanted toward the diesel (it certainly was early in the model cycle) and the premium models - they make more sense than the entry level models when the FG Falcon is in the same showroom.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 09-01-2010, 01:19 AM   #77
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw
The Mondeo presents an interesting dilemna. From a distance I have mistaken the upper models for a G6E (blame the chrome or my old eyes) but it is a very effective package in terms of internal dimensions and value added features but probably priced too close to Falcon at similar specification levels.

We can expect the Falcon to head in the same fundamental styling direction - the FG a case in point - and with the similar packaging buyers are a bit spoilt for choice. I'm not suggesting that Mondeo will steal signifcant sales from Falcon (there isn't enough volume for it to have any major impact) but it is a viable alternative if space and the choice of more fuel efficient powertrains are on the shopping list.

It's a bit different from the Cortina era - as a package the Cortina offered considerably less interior room than Falcons of the era but this is not the case with Mondeo which near enough matches (or exceeds) the FG.

The only major drawback I can see in the Mondeo is the fairly average performance in the petrol version - it is a heavy car for the external dimensions and it merits a powerplant that does it justice. Even the turbo (which works so well in the Focus) is hardly a ball tearer when saddled witht the extra mass of the Mondeo.

I'd be interested to see the model breakdown for Mondeo - but I'd be fairly sure it's heavily slanted toward the diesel (it certainly was early in the model cycle) and the premium models - they make more sense than the entry level models when the FG Falcon is in the same showroom.

Cheers
Russ
Well said Russ. I agree with your points. I was told that mondeo was going to be only 25% diesel when they launched it....i told the Ford representative they were going to sell alot more diesel. Then they came out 4 monhts later saying 'we don't have enough diesels'. Hmm...

As for the petrol atmo...yeah it is a weak point (though it is the biggest NA petrol we can get...). BUT, when updated it will get ecoboost engines (2.0 low blow probably) so i think fuel burn will go down, and performance up. It is a valid alternative to the falcon....esp if the falcon does not go diesel (which accoring to ford aus will not be happening any time soon...)

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 09-01-2010, 03:35 AM   #78
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Fiesta's headlights have a similar THEME to that of Mondeo. And they're executed a lot better, and have no resemblance to that... thing.

It looks like it's face has been used as a door stop. Note the kink! An evolution of this is the Mondeo.

Mondeo needs a paper bag over it's head. Or maybe some very very dark sunglasses. Can anyone photoshop this with a 120Y front end?

No startled looking eyes here.

I took this way off track, sorry. But I'm right. It's ugly. Colleen agrees with me, I rest my case.

wow..im going out on a limb here (it only has to be a small limb too)...and im gunna say u barely have a breath off modern taste in u. I could list 20 cars with worse lights then that...and falling in love with a rav 4 is sooo wrong....they are dead in the water those ythings...seriously dude :
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2010, 05:52 PM   #79
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

I think the Mondeo is a beautiful car. I really like the classy look.

But, the standard petrol motor doesn't do it justice. The XR5T goes much better, ie quite well with low 7s from rest to 100, for fractionally more fuel. The diesel is quite nice too.

For not much more, you can get an FG.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2010, 06:54 PM   #80
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
yet fall way back in marcket share with the falcon . that must be really disheartening .
I'm not sure were you are getting your information from, by the falcon is up year on year in market share..
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2010, 09:18 PM   #81
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE
wow..im going out on a limb here (it only has to be a small limb too)...and im gunna say u barely have a breath off modern taste in u. I could list 20 cars with worse lights then that...and falling in love with a rav 4 is sooo wrong....they are dead in the water those ythings...seriously dude :
I couldn't fully understand your post, but gathering all the bits n pieces you're saying I have no taste. That's probably correct. Or probably not. We're both entitled to opinions.

Take another look through the point I was making. The Mondeo's good looks are ruined by the stupid head and tail light designs.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:26 PM   #82
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:
I couldn't fully understand your post, but gathering all the bits n pieces you're saying I have no taste. That's probably correct. Or probably not. We're both entitled to opinions.

Take another look through the point I was making. The Mondeo's good looks are ruined by the stupid head and tail light designs.
No offense but it looks OK to me, I think the Headlights look smart enough to set it apart of the typical masses car on offer in Australia.
cosmo20btt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2010, 09:56 PM   #83
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo20btt
No offense but it looks OK to me,
None taken, we're all entitled to opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo20btt
I think the Headlights look smart enough to set it apart of the typical masses car on offer in Australia.
If you apply this same thought to Avalon, which also has lights that "set it apart", does that make the Avalon attractive in any way?
Old 10-01-2010, 12:39 AM   #84
auslander

I like the look of the Mondeo. Infact i like the look of all 3 euro-centric models. What i don't like is the motors offered in the Mondeo's armoury.

2.3 lack's punch, as for the other 2 option (2 litre diesel and 5 cylinder volvo motor), I'd go the Focus for the all important power to weight factor, and still get to use these excellent motors. Infact i did, bought a diesel focus 2 years ago, it went that well on the test drive. Great car. Gonna miss it.

What they should do is stick a barra in one. Be a winner, but driving with the back of the motor as the center console may not be a winner
auslander is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2010, 12:43 PM   #85
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:

If you apply this same thought to Avalon, which also has lights that "set it apart", does that make the Avalon attractive in any way?
But the Avalon does look ugly, it looked like the designers tried to make it an up market car but failed.
cosmo20btt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 05:07 PM   #86
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

The Sales Stats for FPV in 2009 have now been uploaded into the Tech area.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 12-01-2010, 05:23 PM   #87
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks Russ... i see the 2 : 1 V8 to I6T sales split is unchanged from 2008 despite everything....

I wonder how much Coyote will impact that..?

Old 12-01-2010, 05:31 PM   #88
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As good as the Falcon is, and without doubt it is certainly best in class, the sales figures being 50% down on its direct competitor is nothing less then disappointing from a Marketing & Sales perceptive.
Gadgetman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 06:31 PM   #89
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Likewise (in answer to a question asked earlier) the Stats for the Ford and Holden performance models (non HSV/FPV) are posted in the Tech area now.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 12-01-2010, 06:50 PM   #90
ThePistonHead
Shame Holden, Shame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Thanks Russ... i see the 2 : 1 V8 to I6T sales split is unchanged from 2008 despite everything....

I wonder how much Coyote will impact that..?
But on the other hand the split when looking at ford is much more in favor of the I6T. 80% of sales went to I6T (XR6T/G6ET) when compared to XR8.

It's not a big surprise to see the 8 selling so well in FPV land. There are 7 V8 models offered versus the 3 I6T models offered (discounting the obsolete F6X).

I think FPV would be very happy with there I6T sales considering the wise spread of models available for the consumer.

EFII "XR8" Fairmont V8 185KW ELII XR8 engine, box & exhaust|Dual Fuel|Tints|FTR's|Factory bodykit |K&N panel filter|Interior LED Conversion|Leather steering wheel|Slotted rotors|Ghia wood + chrome|Subwoofer|

METALLICA
ThePistonHead is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post