Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-12-2007, 02:32 PM   #61
fairBA
Banned

Well we know what they said about the R8 - It was fairly good, but here's an "Australian" road test -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h54MKkxX1qQ
fairBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2007, 02:34 PM   #62
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
But if you watched the whole episode, you would have learned that it did actually blow the diff. In its defense, had it been an FPV and given the same amount of abuse, it would have ended much the same... :(
Yeah I am beginning to think Ford and Holden should recommend a new diff at every oil change. Would save some grief for owners.

Dan
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2007, 02:51 PM   #63
HSE2

Very good episode. Good review of the HSV product. It really hasn't got much going for it in the looks department and that footage doesn't do it any favours.

The front has nothing going on, its plain boring and non descript, the overall shape pleasant enough but Clarkson has it right. It’s just not a pretty product in sport guise.
Clarkson's commentary during the lap was sensational. Don’t take him too seriously.

What the HSV is is a very good performance package for the price and HSV should be proud of that achievement. As an Australian I am proud of HSV top Gear achievements. They have done very well.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2007, 02:52 PM   #64
Steffo
LPG > You

Avid Top Gear watchers, like myself, will know that said by Clarkson, Hammond, May and The Stig... a wet lap is generally 4-seconds slower then a dry one (and they have done tests that prove this theory). The 1:31.3 by the VXR8 in the wet therefore would be 1:27.3 in the dry. M5 did 1:26.2. 1.1 seconds on a 1:30 lap is total destruction, but the VXR8's lap is much more impressive then it seems at first. They also don't mention that the VXR8 is actually faster then the M5 0-200km/h (13.5 vs 13.8 seconds), and in UK based acceleration tests has done a 12.5 second quarter to the M5's 12.4.

£63,995 for a 500hp V10 M5 in the UK and £35,000 or so for the VXR8? All that techo-BS, DOHC 40-valve V10 with 500hp @ 7750rpm and 384ftlbs @ 6100rpm and a 7-spd sequential manual gearbox can barely stay infront of a 6.0 Pushrod V8 with 411hp @ 6000rpm and 406ftlbs @ 4800rpm and an old fashioned 6-spd manual... a crappy old T56 at that.

BMW Ego just got a spear through the gut just then. And I'm loving it.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2007, 03:57 PM   #65
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
Avid Top Gear watchers, like myself, will know that said by Clarkson, Hammond, May and The Stig... a wet lap is generally 4-seconds slower then a dry one (and they have done tests that prove this theory). The 1:31.3 by the VXR8 in the wet therefore would be 1:27.3 in the dry. M5 did 1:26.2. 1.1 seconds on a 1:30 lap is total destruction, but the VXR8's lap is much more impressive then it seems at first. They also don't mention that the VXR8 is actually faster then the M5 0-200km/h (13.5 vs 13.8 seconds), and in UK based acceleration tests has done a 12.5 second quarter to the M5's 12.4.
Care to elaborate on where you got the 13.8sec 0-200kph time for the M5 and more importantly the 13.5 for the VXR8?...it's just that I find it extremely hard to believe that a HSV (VXR8) could hit 200kph in under 14sec when it barely covers the quarter in 13 seconds flat @ 180kph odd...

If you look at the power/weight ratios the Beemer should be miles faster than the pushrod powered Holden (215 vs 168kW/tonne).

Anyways, I'll watch Top Gear tonight and see what Mr (I am your GOD) Clarkson thinks of it : Kinda strange how Vauxhall decided to rename the GTS to VXR8

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2007, 04:09 PM   #66
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent8
: Kinda strange how Vauxhall decided to rename the GTS to VXR8

That would be because it is the R8 version not the GTS so it isn't really that funny.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2007, 05:34 PM   #67
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
That would be because it is the R8 version not the GTS so it isn't really that funny.
Ahhhh...I see why they call it the VXR8 now.........but I still thinks it's funny

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Old 04-12-2007, 05:40 PM   #68
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Care to elaborate on where you got the 13.8sec 0-200kph time for the M5 and more importantly the 13.5 for the VXR8?...it's just that I find it extremely hard to believe that a HSV (VXR8) could hit 200kph in under 14sec when it barely covers the quarter in 13 seconds flat @ 180kph odd...

If you look at the power/weight ratios the Beemer should be miles faster than the pushrod powered Holden (215 vs 168kW/tonne).

Anyways, I'll watch Top Gear tonight and see what Mr (I am your GOD) Clarkson thinks of it : Kinda strange how Vauxhall decided to rename the GTS to VXR8
First of all, 13.0 @ 180km/h (113mph). You do realise that 180km/h is the trap speed if a mid-11 sec car with grip? Besides, they don't trap that high.

http://www.fastestlaps.com/index.php...=469bd8971bc4a

Before you try and say anything, that site is like a database for data from European car magazines. Things like Sport Auto, EVO etc etc.

The M5 has 373kW and 520Nm at 1755kg. The Vauxhall VXR8 has 307kW and 550Nm at 1812kg. 169.42kW/tonne and 303.53Nm/tonne for the VXR8 and 212.53kW/tonne & 296.29Nm/tonne for the M5.

You're also assuming that both manufacturers are telling the truth about how much power their cars make and how much they weigh.

You're also not figuring in the fact that until you're in mega revs the BMW has no power at all. 520Nm @ 6100rpm vs 550 @ 4800. The GM car also has more torque at any specific point in the rev range then the high-strung no guts below 5k BMW does.

And finally, don't take craptastic Aussie magazine times to heart because they all suck. The guys that take an 11.8 sec Gallardo and do 13.36 in it, an 11.7 sec 911 GT2 996 and do 12.5s and etc etc. Just because they can only do low 13s at 12-sec or better trap speeds in Aussie sedans doesn't mean someone GOOD will aswell.

Both our FPV's and HSV's are greatly underrated against things like the M5, E63 AMG, S6 etc. Just because they have the badge doesn't instantly make them totally superior. Having driven a Supercharged E55 AMG (2003) and a BF F6 Typhoon I can definitley tell you that... well... the Merc three-pointed badge is not worth $162,090 more then the F6's Blue Oval badge.

:
Old 04-12-2007, 05:49 PM   #69
5.4 GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The car in the review was also sporting a Wortec exhaust so who knows what else they might have done to it to impress the TG presenters?

Last edited by 5.4 GT; 04-12-2007 at 05:58 PM.
5.4 GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2007, 06:25 PM   #70
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
First of all, 13.0 @ 180km/h (113mph). You do realise that 180km/h is the trap speed if a mid-11 sec car with grip? Besides, they don't trap that high.

http://www.fastestlaps.com/index.php...=469bd8971bc4a

You're also assuming that both manufacturers are telling the truth about how much power their cars make and how much they weigh.

You're also not figuring in the fact that until you're in mega revs the BMW has no power at all. 520Nm @ 6100rpm vs 550 @ 4800. The GM car also has more torque at any specific point in the rev range then the high-strung no guts below 5k BMW does.

And finally, don't take craptastic Aussie magazine times to heart because they all suck. The guys that take an 11.8 sec Gallardo and do 13.36 in it, an 11.7 sec 911 GT2 996 and do 12.5s and etc etc. Just because they can only do low 13s at 12-sec or better trap speeds in Aussie sedans doesn't mean someone GOOD will aswell.

Both our FPV's and HSV's are greatly underrated against things like the M5, E63 AMG, S6 etc. Just because they have the badge doesn't instantly make them totally superior. Having driven a Supercharged E55 AMG (2003) and a BF F6 Typhoon I can definitley tell you that... well... the Merc three-pointed badge is not worth $162,090 more then the F6's Blue Oval badge.
Well that quarter mile figure I quoted was a ballpark figure of what an R8 could do at best in stock form. Quarter mile times and trap speeds can vary from car to car but from what I've seen, a mid 11sec car will trap no less than 190kph and usually over 200kph (125mph).

I checked that website in your post and from all the figure's comparing the M5 with the VXR8, I'm going to assume that 0-200kph time for the VXR8 is a typo...they probably meant 16.5sec which sounds more realistic if you consider they officially cover the quarter in low 13's...

Agreed the M5 has a very peaky engine but it's also geared so that under full throttle acceleration, it never drops below 5000rpm which is why it's faster than an E55 after about 150kph because torque doesn't matter that much after those speeds, you need lot's of horsepower to get from 150 to 200kph quickly and the 13.8sec 0-200 time for the M5 is believable given it's tight geared 7-speed box and 500bhp.

The R8 doesn't have the blistering topend of the M5 so it will never hold a candle to the M5 unless it's in 400hp mode

On a side note the guys at the MBWorld forum's with E63/E55's are trapping between 112-116mph (180-187kph) completely stock and depending on outside temps and elevation with PB's between 12.4-12.9sec so I wouldn't consider them slow.

Old 04-12-2007, 06:39 PM   #71
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Well that quarter mile figure I quoted was a ballpark figure of what an R8 could do at best in stock form. Quarter mile times and trap speeds can vary from car to car but from what I've seen, a mid 11sec car will trap no less than 190kph and usually over 200kph (125mph).

I checked that website in your post and from all the figure's comparing the M5 with the VXR8, I'm going to assume that 0-200kph time for the VXR8 is a typo...they probably meant 16.5sec which sounds more realistic if you consider they officially cover the quarter in low 13's...

Agreed the M5 has a very peaky engine but it's also geared so that under full throttle acceleration, it never drops below 5000rpm which is why it's faster than an E55 after about 150kph because torque doesn't matter that much after those speeds, you need lot's of horsepower to get from 150 to 200kph quickly and the 13.8sec 0-200 time for the M5 is believable given it's tight geared 7-speed box and 500bhp.

The R8 doesn't have the blistering topend of the M5 so it will never hold a candle to the M5 unless it's in 400hp mode

On a side note the guys at the MBWorld forum's with E63/E55's are trapping between 112-116mph (180-187kph) completely stock and depending on outside temps and elevation with PB's between 12.4-12.9sec so I wouldn't consider them slow.
"Official," 13 sec flat according to who? What exactly makes it "official?"

M5 = overrated, not that fast. I've been in its faster M6 brother.
HSV & FPV = underrated, and faster then people give them credit for.

M5's blistering top end is quite funny... its got such a TINY rev band to play with. 6100-8250rpm. 2150rpm of fun. Compared to say, an F6 which is on song from 2000 to 6000rpm... 4000rpm of on-the-power get-up-and-go. Its amazing with a badge can do for you though. M5 simply has to win because its called M5, right?

:
Old 04-12-2007, 09:51 PM   #72
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

At the end of the day, the BMW is still the better product over all. And so it should be with its price tag... but I'm tipping that 99% of the people who have the cash to splash on either vehicle will opt for the M5. I know I would.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:07 PM   #73
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Am i the only person that thinks Jeremy Clarkson is a d!ck? He attributes almost everything to a badge and complains about the tiniest things, among others....

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

Last edited by [Tonko]; 04-12-2007 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Karnt speel
[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2007, 10:16 PM   #74
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That women on Fifth gear. Typical Pommie wench. Bags out the HSV as being Australian, and then at the end after the drive thanks Vauxhall for building a fantastic car. I've watched a few of her stories and she really hates anything Australian. No time for her. She makes me want to vomit.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2007, 10:19 PM   #75
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Tonko]
Am i the only person that thinks Jeremy Clarkson is a d!ck?....
No, you're not alone in you're thinking there my friend...

Old 04-12-2007, 10:21 PM   #76
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
That women on Fifth gear. Typical Pommie wench. Bags out the HSV as being Australian, and then at the end after the drive thanks Vauxhall for building a fantastic car. I've watched a few of her stories and she really hates anything Australian. No time for her. She makes me want to vomit.
They need to sack her and get the German girl on full time.

Nürburgring in under 10 minutes ? " i can do that in a van"
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2007, 10:32 PM   #77
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
Nah she ain't that bad, Vicki's cool if you ask me, she like's to giggle a lot and she's a pretty good driver aswell...

Also it's fair to say that European car technology is ahead of ours by at least a few years.

Old 04-12-2007, 10:35 PM   #78
Mongoose
Can't go around corners

Quote:
oo? you mean viki butler henderson? the blonde chick who is always giggling? because i dont know what your on, she dosent make me want to vomit
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2007, 11:50 PM   #79
XR6Dan
Why??

What episode number is it?
XR6Dan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2007, 12:04 AM   #80
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6Dan
What episode number is it?
it's the 8th episode of season 10 - 02/12 Air date.

Old 05-12-2007, 12:11 AM   #81
AK

I thought it was good to see aussie an car on Top Gear. I didn't mind that it was a holden.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:32 AM   #82
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_XC
Yeh ur right he associates everything with a ford badge on it as been purely american. We have to get the point access there is FORD AUS.
Ford UK is bigger than Ford Aust, I think clarkson is well aware of the local influence on what is still technically american product.
RIPGMH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2007, 07:05 AM   #83
Buddy 1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Nah she ain't that bad, Vicki's cool if you ask me, she like's to giggle a lot and she's a pretty good driver aswell...

Also it's fair to say that European car technology is ahead of ours by at least a few years.
Yeah I find her a bit annoying though she can drive a car & has driven many of them rather well.

And she ain't that bad :P

Also her review was mostly in praise of the VE Vox
Buddy 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2007, 09:31 AM   #84
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

:o the video got taken down damn a day too late.

when does it air here? or has it already?
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2007, 03:47 PM   #85
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
:o the video got taken down damn a day too late.

when does it air here? or has it already?
you should be able to get it over bittorrent...

it'll probably be a good 12mths before they air it here

Old 05-12-2007, 11:08 PM   #86
XR6Dan
Why??

Quote:
it's the 8th episode of season 10 - 02/12 Air date.
Cheers
XR6Dan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2007, 10:29 PM   #87
AusM
AusMotorsport

On Foxtel, BBC World are now showing cut down episodes of Season 10. To see the full length show, you'll have to wait for SBS - June I've been told...

So wait until then and don't download it! :P
AusM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2007, 08:44 AM   #88
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken2903
Nope, i just slow down to check it out

Only person i've ever seen driving it is a woman that doesn't look much older than me, she would only be in her late 20's. That stings a bit
Maybe you should wear a condom...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2007, 08:55 AM   #89
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairBA
Well we know what they said about the R8 - It was fairly good, but here's an "Australian" road test -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h54MKkxX1qQ
HA, i love that clip!
I cant wait to play with my F6
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2007, 12:05 PM   #90
BFYOOT

ha ha ha no wonder petrol prices are going up, with holdens spilling oil everywhere, its becoming scarce and pushing the barrel price through the roof. its not iraq's fault after all!!!
reckon top gear should do a world tour, do an episode in each of the major countries, US, Australia/NZ, Sth Africa etc. Least then we'd get our 2 cents in
BFYOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post