Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-10-2008, 02:45 PM   #61
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunter
I get where you might be coming from, but I don't think the GT-R fits into the Porsche, BMW, etc, image mold. It's a Nissan and any person who buys on image alone wouldn't be caught dead in one. On the other hand I believe that those middle aged blokes that have a bit of coin, who value performance and features and buy on that basis alone, would be happy in a GT-R. I know would.
Not hard to see why you're a moderator.... you can actually communicate, without inflating your own ego.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2008, 02:59 PM   #62
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunter
I get where you might be coming from, but I don't think the GT-R fits into the Porsche, BMW, etc, image mold. It's a Nissan and any person who buys on image alone wouldn't be caught dead in one. On the other hand I believe that those middle aged blokes that have a bit of coin, who value performance and features and buy on that basis alone, would be happy in a GT-R. I know would.
i think that would be dependant on age though

For a young(25-35) wealthy bloke with 200k to splash around im sure he would go the GTR just for the sheer exclusivity of it wrapped up togther with the power and performance.. there are so many M3's, AMG's and Porsches on the roads today that they arnt all that special anymore.. The GTR is on a whole other level in looks, performance etc - Its definately something that stands out and usually thats what these people want: whereas an older bloke say 45+ they would most probably go for the AMG or BMW as they are an older marquee, more "respected" amongst his peers etc.. although there will always be exceptions
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2008, 03:16 PM   #63
Go baby Go
Like no other..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
Blackburn is the other authorised dealer.
thanks !

A recent study found the average Australian walks about 900 miles a year.
Another study found Australians drink, on average, 22 gallons of alcohol a year.
That means, on average, Australians get about 41 miles to the gallon.

Kind of makes you proud to be an aussie.
Go baby Go is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2008, 04:55 PM   #64
ThePistonHead
Shame Holden, Shame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go baby Go

This was the car on Top Gear Australia

EFII "XR8" Fairmont V8 185KW ELII XR8 engine, box & exhaust|Dual Fuel|Tints|FTR's|Factory bodykit |K&N panel filter|Interior LED Conversion|Leather steering wheel|Slotted rotors|Ghia wood + chrome|Subwoofer|

METALLICA
ThePistonHead is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2008, 05:12 PM   #65
Go baby Go
Like no other..........

that's the mag i saw it on ........! Couldn't think of it before- thanks !
It is a fairly serious one-they were having a tinker when we were wandering - aka drooling - around

cheers,

Another study found Australians drink, on average, 22 gallons of alcohol a year.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:28 PM   #66
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Quote:
Yeah? I thought it was Ferntree Gully?
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2008, 07:38 PM   #67
loosey

Quote:
Grey Imports have been around for longer than a month - Donut King racing competed in Targa in one, and just the other week a 25-odd year old won Targa West in one, beating Jim Richards.
Yeah grey imports have been here for months but road registered ones have only been around for less than a month..
loosey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2008, 08:03 PM   #68
Jayden
Graphic Artist

I thought one was delivered in freo a long time ago. but thats all ive heard of it. I think i read that on another car forum.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:25 PM   #69
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Not a bad price for what it is, makes the W427 look like extremely overpirced (oh wait, it is) but I still think i would go for either a Mercedes Benz C63 AMG or Audi RS4
Old 02-10-2008, 10:30 PM   #70
Jayden
Graphic Artist

anyway. call me a bogan but I still would rather have a menacing black XD with a charged 351 in it. Id like to poll to see who is with me on that, just out of interest.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:49 PM   #71
ehast13
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's a lot of money for a car that everybody who tests it claims has 'unbelieveable traction and driveability'

Well, I have a 77 xc with a carby 3.3 running lpg backed up by a colomn shift borg-warner 35 auto with 3.23 diff ratio. I have 14 inch hot wires with 245 tyres on the back. It makes 46KW at the wheels on Gas and 55kw on petrol.

I have NEVER lost traction.

The driveability is excellent.

It has amazing power down. even with two turns of lock (two of the 17 turns available) and full throttle, she just grips and goes.

I paid 800 bucks for the old girl and 450bucks for the rear tyres.

all the traction u could ever want!

152,000 dollars.

tut, tut, tut
ehast13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2008, 11:26 PM   #72
Rev28K
re

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehast13
I have a 77 xc with a carby 3.3 running lpg backed up by a colomn shift borg-warner 35 auto with 3.23 diff ratio. I have 14 inch hot wires with 245 tyres on the back. It makes 46KW at the wheels on Gas and 55kw on petrol.

I have NEVER lost traction.

The driveability is excellent.

It has amazing power down. even with two turns of lock (two of the 17 turns available) and full throttle, she just grips and goes.

I paid 800 bucks for the old girl and 450bucks for the rear tyres.

all the traction u could ever want!

152,000 dollars.

tut, tut, tut
That’s the spirit! I used to have an old dunger daily driver. 17 turns lock to lock (same as you) about half of them free play and ungodly heavy to parallel park even with the tyres pumped up. I tried for ages to get the back out and it never wanted to spin, it took a hell of a lot to get that back end mobile.

Another old dunger daily driver of mine was used in track sprints occasionally and although it (and me) was the slowest thing out there I was experiencing a lot of the sensations (understeer, oversteer, knife edge handling, road-hoadling that was more wishful thinking than a measurable reality, no brakes, etc) that a lot of other guys where having to go over 200kmh to experience. Race prep was pumping up the 70 series cheese cutters to 45-50 psi and praying for rain. The only time that back wheels spun was coming back down the Hume in the wet, water was crossing the road the speedo reading went up while the car didn’t really go any faster. How’s that wheel spin at 100kmh (and that’s before the reco engine went in).

Of course when I got into newer and better cars I was able to exploit and appreciate their better handling, acceleration, braking, etc.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ

Last edited by Rev28K; 02-10-2008 at 11:31 PM.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:40 PM   #73
ehast13
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You know, I don't think I've ever had more fun in a car than in a 1979 corolla I owned. It was fun! As limits get higher, you have to push harder and faster to get the same buzz. This is why the MX5 is still a favourite with drivers.

Unless you have a race track and are all about lap times, A GTR will always be 150 grand of potential performance that you never fully exploit.

Nice to brag about

I'd love one

But, it's the same reason many own a gt over an f6. The understeer to oversteer transition is often more fun than a clinically balanced and faster car
ehast13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2008, 07:15 PM   #74
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePistonHead
Well, officially it is just the "Nissan GT-R", it is a continuation of previous skyline's, if that makes sense.
Nissan have sorta done what toyota did with the supra, its gon from a model variation to a stand alone model.

The skyline continues as a seperate car, as a v35 available as a coupe.

But the GT-R is not a Skyline anymore.

150-odd grand? if i had it, i'ld grab one over a M3 i think, because its faster and has the love of the aftermarket!

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2008, 07:28 PM   #75
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
You have obviously test driven both.

Step aside for someone who can actually pay cash for one of each.

Both are desirable cars. As beautiful as it is, the older blokes would look a bit silly driving around in a hairdresser's car like the GT-R, wouldn't they? The masculine alternative is the W427. There's always the Euro models, but they're hardly a statement of carefree confidence.
A hairdressers car? I'm in the wrong bloody job!

I don't see how the GT-R looks any more silly than n older bloke driving a W427 (with its BRIGHT red interior), 911 etc...I certainly wouldn't think any less of them, it's one of the greatest supercars of all time and a true enthusiasts car. That and it has separated itself from the skyline nameplate, being exclusive and it's own.

Just because it has 2 doors and looks slick doesn't make it a car for women. The value of this car even in Australia is superb, if I had the $$$ i'd have put my order in by now!
Old 03-10-2008, 07:42 PM   #76
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST
A hairdressers car? I'm in the wrong bloody job!

I don't see how the GT-R looks any more silly than n older bloke driving a W427 (with its BRIGHT red interior), 911 etc...I certainly wouldn't think any less of them, it's one of the greatest supercars of all time and a true enthusiasts car. That and it has separated itself from the skyline nameplate, being exclusive and it's own.

Just because it has 2 doors and looks slick doesn't make it a car for women. The value of this car even in Australia is superb, if I had the $$$ i'd have put my order in by now!
Personally i don't think i could get my head around spending 180K on a nissan let alone a japanese car... like it or not that ricer/womans car image would haunt me.. At that price point its German all the way for my money.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:50 PM   #77
Go baby Go
Like no other..........

Quote:
Hi,

It's Ferntree Gully not Blackburn that is the other one.

Half a dozen sold within a few days...............

Price is $175k on road. There is a premuim and std-the only difference is the 4k bose sound system.

Ohh- the juicy bits........
You HAVE to sign a 5 page agreement before you can even LOOK at the contract for the car. No signing this and you do not go any further.

The GPS tracking system WILL be active in the Oz models, so a hint of track days, drags or the like and she is void. So, do a drag day and it's void.

It also tells you that you understand and agree it is noisy, there is excessive tyre wear etc......

Get a puncture- you replace ALL 4 tyres. And we're not talking the good year all-rounders here.........

Need new pads - you have to replace ALL pads AND Rotors. There are never to be machined.

Colour- pick any that you like, but understand you will get what you are given- they do not promise you will get the colour you want.

Next shipment after these (April '09) is 2010.
I was trying to remember all of it, but that's all I can think of.

Old 06-10-2008, 01:03 PM   #78
DABOSS
BA Black Edition

with that in mind they and all the crap they can stick it.
DABOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2008, 01:16 PM   #79
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hi,

Price is $175k on road. There is a premuim and std-the only difference is the 4k bose sound system.

You HAVE to sign a 5 page agreement before you can even LOOK at the contract for the car. No signing this and you do not go any further.

The GPS tracking system WILL be active in the Oz models, so a hint of track days, drags or the like and she is void. So, do a drag day and it's void.

It also tells you that you understand and agree it is noisy, there is excessive tyre wear etc......

Get a puncture- you replace ALL 4 tyres. And we're not talking the good year all-rounders here.........

Need new pads - you have to replace ALL pads AND Rotors. There are never to be machined.

Colour- pick any that you like, but understand you will get what you are given- they do not promise you will get the colour you want.

Wow.. it sounds like a ripper..

Old 06-10-2008, 01:33 PM   #80
Rev28K
re

I’ve also heard that they’ll allow you 3 full bore standing starts, anymore than that and the warranty isn’t valid.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:12 PM   #81
XRated
Shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_190
Not a bad price for what it is, makes the W427 look like extremely overpirced (oh wait, it is) but I still think i would go for either a Mercedes Benz C63 AMG or Audi RS4
I thought I was the only one. As much as I respect the beast and understand how quick they are, I'd still much prefer to be behind the wheel of a used Porsche 996 twin turbo, new BMW M3 or RS4 mmm. It's still just a Nissan to me and looks very boy-racer.

By reading this thread I would've thought there'd be more people driving an S15 or Supra. Not having a crack either...

Rev28K, that's crazy. But is that fact?

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2008, 03:00 PM   #82
Rev28K
re

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRated
Rev28K, that's crazy. But is that fact?
As told to me by a good freind.

Have a look at the Skyline Australia (SAU) website, there seems to be a wealth of info there. Some members have Jap import R35's, some have ordered the Aussie models.

I think I read somewhere that it Lamborghini (Gallardo) or BMW (M5 or SMG M3) only allowed 5 or 10 full bore starts with their auto gearboxes. Maybe Mitsubishi with the new Evo X. If others are starting to do it I don't see why Nissan shouldn't follow their trail.....
Old 06-10-2008, 03:05 PM   #83
whales
351 Cleveland:Pure Muscle

Quote:
Hi,

I think I will just stick to my old Ford
Old 06-10-2008, 03:12 PM   #84
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Kind of puts things in perspective doesn't it... At-least you can take the W427 to a Holden dealer for a regular service, drive the thing on the road without tearing up $100 notes every 5K's and buy replacement parts over the counter without taking out a mortgage every month!!

Old 06-10-2008, 03:41 PM   #85
XWGT