Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-02-2010, 03:39 PM   #61
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized
Well you would know the answer to that (yes and yes) if you read any of my posts above. Or are you too stupid to have done that?
settle down tiger

i worked at the head office for Hertz rent a car and all their cars were insured. I find the suggestion that a rental company doesn't insure its' cars ludicrous.

driving without insurance is arrogant and selfish, unless you live in a town with 10 people who all drive a horse and cart. Then again i used to be in a town like that, but i still got insurance.

Last edited by Professor Farnsworth; 23-02-2010 at 03:44 PM.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2010, 03:46 PM   #62
Ride
Stay Classy ™

Quote:
My car is used for business, and has lowered suspension. Its a combination that proved impossible to insure when I looked into it a while back - none of the companies I tried would cover it.
If no one is going to insure you, wouldn't that give you a little bit of a wake up call as to what you're doing wrong or the risk that you possess to other motorists while on the road? If you really need the vehicle for business purposes then put the stock suspension back in and actually use it as a business vehicle.
Ride is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2010, 03:49 PM   #63
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
Now you are insulting me? After 51 posts!

I read you posts and doubt you any driving experience what-so-ever

I dont need thousands of posts to be qualified to insult you. But thats not what I'm here to do. I edited my post - only part of your post was displayed when I wrote it, not sure what was going on there.

Anyway, driving experience....

Like I said, had my license for 15 years. I've driven overseas numerous times - LA and all around California, the Nurburgring, surrounding autobarns and Frankfurt to name a few. Driving is one thing I'm prepared to claim I'm good at. I'm no race driver, havn't done much track work, but as for driving in cities, in traffic, I can hold my own and my history says as much.

I mean, if that wasn't the case, I'd buy insurance.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2010, 04:08 PM   #64
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Destroys me? Car is registered. Third party doesn't cover medical bills, the compulsory TAC third party does, which I have.
Destroys my car? As I said, its only worth $8k, I'd just buy another one.
Apportioning blame on the road doesn't always go in your favor and doesn't always get laid on the driver who was legitimately the cause of the accident. My old man was spun while being overtaken when the clown overtaking merged into the front of his car - didn't even indicate to do so. Put my old man into the guard rail which wrote off the car and speared the other guy into the centre medium strip.

You'd have to be nuts if you don't at least have third party. Fine, your car is written off but what if the car you're involved in a bingle with is a Rolls - and you're found to be legally at fault?
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2010, 06:06 PM   #65
Paxton
Cobblers!

The Buzz insurance are an interesting mob. I had my EF insured with AAMI, for Comprehensive, and (in NSW) CTP/Green Slip, and the premiums went up and up every year. The first year I had it with AAMI it was just on $600, but three premiums later, they want $950. I'm about to tell them to get stuffed, like I did with the CTP.

The BMW is with Allianz. They were the best value out of the lot, however they're just as dear as the NRMA (IAG), but the agreed value is more. They also offer a lifetime guarantee.

As for The Buzz, they're happy to set the agreed value for my EF at an astonishing $900 more than I paid for the bloody thing, yet their premium is less than AAMI's. I'm jumping ship as soon as my AAMI premium is due.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2010, 08:12 PM   #66
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
The Buzz insurance are an interesting mob. I had my EF insured with AAMI, for Comprehensive, and (in NSW) CTP/Green Slip, and the premiums went up and up every year. The first year I had it with AAMI it was just on $600, but three premiums later, they want $950. I'm about to tell them to get stuffed, like I did with the CTP.
They certainly don't like HSV.

F6 ~$2500.
GTS ~$6500.
R8 ~$5800.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2010, 08:32 PM   #67
gtfpv
GT

its actually trickier than one may think . i have all my insurance3s with one insurer for over 20 years now . i have mass discounts and multi policies etc . any insurance claims are generally legit and not challanged , because they are fair and i am long time loyal . i'd hate to insure something with a new insurer and then the worst happen and you need to make a cliam . or even worse , 2 incidences . you will quickly find yourself looking for another company . after you get turfed on your ear .
people do need to be mindfull . insurance companies make money off people who dont make claims versus people who do . building up equity over years of no claims is better looked on when bad luck strikes .
if you find your car insurance has gonew up and your house contents have gone up more for example . i challange you to take both of those policies and get quotes elsewhere . i'm pretty sure there will be a surprise . one may insure the car cheaper and the contents way more , or ctp differances for example .
competition isnt based on loyalty either . add all your total insurances together , then try and insure them all somewhere else as a package you will soon see the comparatives are close with similar conditons and rulles/ provisions claims etc .
try it .
and if you did take all seperate policies for your belongings based on cheaper prices there will be a catch somewhere . loyalty being one of them .

whilst insurance going up suck . REMEMBER YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR - THIS IS THE GOLDEN RULE ) AND peice of mind is paramount . insurance is something you never want to use , and cant afford to be without .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2010, 08:38 PM   #68
dave289
Banned

Dave do you any details about my Laser or my driving history, or for that matter, do you know if I shopped around?
I'm guessing the answer is 'No' to all three questions, right?
Lets not talk about 'stupid' now then, huh?

what I do know is that your either a shocking driver or 18 years old or both, that does explain a few things or you,ve wasted so much money on a layzerrrr .

as for insurance at budget they buy all white corollas exactly the same. I have done some contract work for them and have seen hundreds of white corollas in one building .they have there own panel shop downstairs with a couple of guys working and also save money by only ever using one colour.if the back half of one gets taken out they will keep all the good parts and panels and use them to repair other damaged cars. and yes they would have to have some kind of third party property damage but it is not classed as comprehensive as somebodyelse mentioned.
dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2010, 09:53 PM   #69
morak001
460 - cubes torque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw
I have said this many many times. I would prefer a lifetime gaurantee on repairs rather than being able to choose the repairer.

Most companies I have seen with choice of repairer have clauses like this in thier PDS:
If we do not authorise repairs or don't agree with your repairers quote our Lifetime guarantee will not apply
We will pay the amount we assess to be reasonable by considering:
• your repairer’s quote with any adjustment or reduction recommended by an experienced
motor vehicle assessor we appoint or
• a quote from a repairer we choose.

So as you can plainly see Choice of repairer is not the be all and end all.
After chatting to my insurance co's assessor and MY repairer (after being rear ended and having an inexperienced driver pull out in front of me) more food for thought came to light:

The lifetime guarentee is normally actually provided by the repairer (normally large co's who will be around a while) via the insurance co.

More importantly the repairs are often quoted from photographs through their online system to authorised repairers which means that if during repairs, more work is discovered, they are under pressure from the insurer to stick to their original quote thereby an argument exists that they are then repairing your pride and joy to a price to look pretty not neccesarily to a standard. By the time dodgyness is revealed many owners will have changed vehicles negating a need to worry about further repairs.

Like most businesses they only exist to make a dollar, not for the customer.

Is this just my insurer or is this standard practice in the industry?
morak001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2010, 10:20 PM   #70
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave289
and while where on the subject of no insurance, I have done work for budget car hire of which you will be interested to know that they dont insure any of there many thousands of brand new cars.
Big difference between being unisured and self insured. I have no doubt that Budget Hire car charge thier customers a "damage/waiver" fee. That is being self insured....all those damage/waiver fees would be put in an account to earn intrest and pay out any accidents.

So that is the difference.
Old 23-02-2010, 10:46 PM   #71
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by morak001
After chatting to my insurance co's assessor and MY repairer (after being rear ended and having an inexperienced driver pull out in front of me) more food for thought came to light:

The lifetime guarentee is normally actually provided by the repairer (normally large co's who will be around a while) via the insurance co.

More importantly the repairs are often quoted from photographs through their online system to authorised repairers which means that if during repairs, more work is discovered, they are under pressure from the insurer to stick to their original quote thereby an argument exists that they are then repairing your pride and joy to a price to look pretty not neccesarily to a standard. By the time dodgyness is revealed many owners will have changed vehicles negating a need to worry about further repairs.

Like most businesses they only exist to make a dollar, not for the customer.

Is this just my insurer or is this standard practice in the industry?
A lot of the photos quotes are standard in the industry, it save costs especially in remote areas.

Whether or not the job is quoted on photos, it is quite normal for repairers to find addional costs once they start the job that were unforseen, which is why 90% of repairs will have a supplementry quote, which is also checked over and authorised by an assessor, and as long as it is fair and reasonable they do get authorised without any pressure.

As for the life time gaurantee...that is offered by the insurer, not the repairer, besides the fact that guarantee is australia wide, not limited to a single repairer that did the job.
Old 23-02-2010, 10:54 PM   #72
ELLIOT

When i bought my G6E turbo after trading in my BA XR8 I went with NRMA insurance because I had been with them for the last 3 yrs and having house insurance and green slip gave me a discount. It was going to be 180 a month. I was kool with that. I go to NRMA about 2 hours later after getting a quote from them. They changed their price from 180 a month to 295 a month. I went with them for insurance but shoped around straghter after. Went to AAMI. 102 a month. Thats a massive saving.
ELLIOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2010, 11:55 PM   #73
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw
As for the life time gaurantee...that is offered by the insurer, not the repairer, besides the fact that guarantee is australia wide, not limited to a single repairer that did the job.
Was going to say the same thing. I had a nasty accident that took out most of the front end of the Festiva. This happened 2 weeks prior to a 10 month holiday.

The car was finished 2 weeks into my holiday, my brother picked it up and took it home, where it sat till I returned. Once a month he would start it to run around the block and keep things working.

Fast forward to my return, I get the car and drive it as usual. After a month I find that the radiator was cracked at a join.. leaking quite badly after a long, hot run.

Called the repair shop, they fobbed me off, told me the radiator only had a 6 month warranty. Took it to my mechanic, told me that it should be covered under the lifetime warranty on repairs and Budget direct gave the ok for a new radiator, fluid and all labour. They paid the fee (several hundred dollars), even though by then I was no longer with them.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2010, 11:59 PM   #74
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSHOG
my BA XR8 was insured for $25k for $520ish but i took the higher excess option

give AAMI a call, they were great to deal with.
I agree AAMI all the way...the boyfriend is looking at a saving of around $400 just changing from Just Cars to AAMI...and they're the same company.

When I shopped around NRMA were the most expensive of the lot...
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2010, 12:14 AM   #75
AUSGTI
Das Auto Bitches!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351@GT
$650 for a modified BA XR8 through RAC
agreed for over 20k.

Do you mind me asking your age mate
Old 24-02-2010, 12:22 AM   #76
XRSEX
More money would be great

Pfft, I have to pay $1500 a year for full comp, stop complaining lol
Old 24-02-2010, 12:29 AM   #77
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Online quote for the ute, NRMA- $158/mth. AAMI - $96/mth.
I am currently with NRMA, and paying $ 70/mth.
It will be interesting to see the actual price renewal from NRMA, when it arrives next month.
Some-times online and renewal can differ a bit.
If they are not close to the AAMI price, I walk. And I have been with them for lots of years
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2010, 01:52 AM   #78
elvisidal
Tatalia's a pimp!

18 year customer of G.I.O for car,house,contents and cannot fault them.
From memory I'm around $500 & change for my XR6
Old 24-02-2010, 11:03 PM   #79
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

NRMA have just sent me my renewal notice....

'03 BA XR6 N/A Modified
$600 excess, for $16,000 agreed value
Premium: $750
I have had 15 consecutive years of insurance with NRMA without a single claim.

Compared with GIO...........
'03 BA XR6 N/A Modified
$600 excess, for $17,500 agreed value
Premium: $545

Looks like I'll be giving NRMA the flick this year. It's a shame that they can't offer
cheaper premiums, as not only will they lose my business this year but they will
probably lose it for the next 10...!!
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2010, 11:05 PM   #80
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB92
NRMA have just sent me my renewal notice....

'03 BA XR6 N/A Modified
$600 excess, for $16,000 agreed value
Premium: $750
I have had 15 consecutive years of insurance with NRMA without a single claim.

Compared with GIO...........
'03 BA XR6 N/A Modified
$600 excess, for $17,500 agreed value
Premium: $545

Looks like I'll be giving NRMA the flick this year. It's a shame that they can't offer
cheaper premiums, as not only will they lose my business this year but they will
probably lose it for the next 10...!!

ring NRMA and ask them to match the quote, there's a good chance they will to keep you.
Old 24-02-2010, 11:10 PM   #81
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth
ring NRMA and ask them to match the quote, there's a good chance they will to keep you.
I tried that last year and they wouldn't be in it....
I might try again, but I won't spend much time on it. Time to go methinks..
Old 24-02-2010, 11:15 PM   #82
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

I just got a quote from AAMI as I started modding under the bonnet. And with an agreed value of $18000 for my futura and cover for all my mods plus most future ones that I'm thinking of that came out at 640ish for a year. I'm signing up!! My NRMA loyalty rubbish is just that... Rubbish!!

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2010, 11:20 PM   #83
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

AAMI are the cheapest for us too, with mild mods and all. They beat everyone, substantially too.
Old 24-02-2010, 11:58 PM   #84
GavL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
AAMI are the cheapest for us too, with mild mods and all. They beat everyone, substantially too.
I'm on AAMI as well, all the other well knowns wanted an extra $400 per year to insure my car under my name!

BAII XR6 in SHOCKWAVE
5SP Manual | Sports Leather Seats | Premium Sound | Dual Zone Climate Control | Sunroof | Reverse Sensors | 18" XR8 Wheels | XR6T Exhaust | Lowered | XR6T Intake | GT Steering Wheel

AUIII XR8 in NAROOMA BLUE
Info to come soon!
GavL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2010, 10:21 AM   #85
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Theres a growing trend everyone is going GIO & AAMI arent thhey hahaha

To me things are as simple as this, less price more customers but take on the customers with good records to reduce risk, but NRMA dont believe in that so they charge every man and his dog a stupid premium.
Old 25-02-2010, 12:22 PM   #86
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Quote:
I tried that last year and they wouldn't be in it....
I might try again...........
Yep, confirmed. NRMA will not bargain or match competitors prices.
Old 25-02-2010, 01:06 PM   #87
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

that's very bad business.
Old 25-02-2010, 03:25 PM   #88
GavL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yep, confirmed. NRMA will not bargain or match competitors prices.
Not the only ones! RACV won't do it either, even when you/your family has held Home and contents, car, trailer and roadside assist with them for close to 30 years!

Seems like more and more insurance companies don't want their customers anymore :?

BAII XR6 in SHOCKWAVE
5SP Manual | Sports Leather Seats | Premium Sound | Dual Zone Climate Control | Sunroof | Reverse Sensors | 18" XR8 Wheels | XR6T Exhaust | Lowered | XR6T Intake | GT Steering Wheel

AUIII XR8 in NAROOMA BLUE
Info to come soon!
GavL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2010, 06:28 PM   #89
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont know what the story is with insurance companies, i think they need to get a lesson from the retailers that i deal with.

Take care of ur customers and they will keep returning regardless and wont look elsewhere and its such a simple rule and thats when u make money.
Old 25-02-2010, 07:54 PM   #90
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Got my CTP Greenslip renewal for my 2nd car (1992 Hyundai heheh) in the post today from none other than NRMA.

Last year was $392 this year $687.11 WTF. So I do an online quote and come up with $436 even bigger WTF.

So give them a call and

NRMA: say that the $687 is because it isn't insured,

ME: it is and was when I got the Greenslip last year.

NRMA: Oh he says then the premium will be $488

ME: WTF it is only $436 as an online quote

NRMA: Maybe the website hasn't been updated yet

ME: Your kidding me right

NRMA: No I'm not kidding you, the prices can change each day.

ME: Are you on drugs

NRMA: I don't like that insinuation sir.
ME: Tough, can I speak to your manager. Now this is where it gets really wierd.

NRMA: Hello David how can I help you, are you giving my operator a hard time.

ME: I haven't even started yet.

NRMA: Well don't start on me or I will call your mother and tell her how you talk to people.

ME: WTF. Who is this.

NRMA: Your cousin Jill, now what do you want : Turns out she had been listening in on the call from the outset. Bloody **********

ME: :

She then looks into the premium and gives me a quote of $399.72

ME: How come ,such a difference in prices. Turns out that the guy that I was dealing with in the first place was under scrutiny and they had been monitoring his calls for the past 2 days.

Will find out more on the weekend when I see her. But very interesting indeed
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post