Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-03-2010, 11:28 PM   #61
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Are you suggesting the "previous to BA's" designers may have had somethng to do with the current mondeo??!! :monkes:

Agree though.. its a shocker and needs rescuing quickly.
Haha no... don't go there, please.

That was "Edge" gone wrong. This is "Kinetic" gone wrong.

Ugly twins from a parallel universe.

Okay, I'll stop now.
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2010, 11:30 PM   #62
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
Haha no... don't go there, please.

That was "Edge" gone wrong. This is "Kinetic" gone wrong.

Ugly twins from a parallel universe.

Okay, I'll stop now.
Lol.. Yes, I think a lynch mob is forming as we speak...!

Old 01-04-2010, 01:40 PM   #63
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I disagree that the Mondeo is ugly. Yeah sure the Mazda6 is a much more modern design but the Mondeo is still a good looking car? I think at the right price we can sell more Mondeo. It doesn't need a design change, yet.

We are selling more Escapes then ever using this process at the moment.

I am hoping Ford will continue marketing the Mondeo, it deserves it.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:45 PM   #64
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

There is nothing wrong with the styling of the Mondeo, its still contemporary. I dont think the name hurts it either, its more the fact that no one knows what it is.

And you cant say its any less refined than the 6 because its practically the same car.

As far as a family mover goes its much better than the falcon wagon it replaced.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2010, 02:27 PM   #65
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
^^ haha good post Windsor

a) Neither does the Falcon.
b) Why would it need a V8 option?

I agree 103%.
In fact the Mondeo reminds me of Susan Boyle. She exceeded expectations with her magnificent voice, but, still, you don't see many men lining up to propose, do you.

I can't help but remember the unloved Avalon's frazzled look every time I see this Ford.
/there's no way Keelan will convince me otherwise.

And the Mazda 6? Pure pure class. It's one of the best new looks out there.
Yeah yeah youssef....i'm not even trying. I will point out though that while mondeo may have lacklustre sales compared to what is deserves on engineering/features/merit it is NOT because people think its ugly. I know this because of all the comments i've ever heard from 'joe blows' Re mondeo styling have been positive. Bar the one guy that pointed ou the rear lights (esp on sedan now gone) were 'wierd'.

If it were styling related explain how they sell mazda 6s. You say they are 'pure class', well numerous people i know (mazda fans at that, especially the ladies) have told me they dont' like mazda's new overblown 'smiley face' look. I would agree, not only will it date its way too overt for that segment. Styling is more often an 'excuse' for buying a car then a reason based on what i've found. Oh i got the honda instead of the mazda because it 'looked better'. Yeah too bad the same guy saying it is a honda fanboy of long standing. If you have brand loyalty don't hide it FFS!!! Besides, last time i checked given much greater market acceptance (via the preceding model) in that segment Mazda 6 wasn't selling all that higher than mondeo...and Honda certainly was not shifting many more Accord euros niether.

It's also telling that 90% of the mondeo bashers on this forum are Falcon lovers. Its not one or the other. If Falcon does go it will be Taurus type car that replaces it, not mondeo. Mondeo would likely stay alonside it or at worse get canned itself. Its not Mondeo Vs Falcon, its a swap in the product Ford is offering to market. It may not be as successful as ford wants, but it IS a quality car and it will (along with territory) offer a valid replacment for 80%+ of the existing falcon wagon customers.

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2010, 02:33 PM   #66
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

The problem at the moment is that IMO FoA are to worried about pushing the mondeo to hard because it will eat falcon sales to an extent. Hard to dismiss that with FoA themselves obviously see it that way with this announcement.

If we all knew the falcon was dead next year they would be flogging it, but thats not the case and FoA would rather be selling a decent amount of falcons and a few mondeo's than visa versa.

That IMO is the issue.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 01-04-2010, 02:33 PM   #67
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra240t
I disagree that the Mondeo is ugly. Yeah sure the Mazda6 is a much more modern design but the Mondeo is still a good looking car? I think at the right price we can sell more Mondeo. It doesn't need a design change, yet.

We are selling more Escapes then ever using this process at the moment.

Resistance is becoming futile my friend. The lynch mob (as uninformed as always ) are forming and they want blood. I'm not even going to continue the styling debate (youssef just wont' give up....and he knows i wont niether LOL) other than pointing out that the mondeo is effectively the same as the iosis concept car with 4 doors. Given that concept was the grandaddy of all kinetic design i'd like to hear where ford went so 'wrong' with its first ever production version??

Either way my point still stands. The suggestion styling kills cars outright is veyr misleading. You have to have a shocking car (i.e. way different to current trends) to pull that off. AU falcon comes closest in recent memory.

As for the 'update' there is one due soon taht will take on more of the new Focus look if you belive the stories. Not sure how extensive but it will come. I'd be shocked if it were enough of a change to satisfy the hunta but we shall see....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 01-04-2010, 05:03 PM   #68
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
There is nothing wrong with the styling of the Mondeo, its still contemporary. I dont think the name hurts it either, its more the fact that no one knows what it is.

And you cant say its any less refined than the 6 because its practically the same car.
No it ain't, they're completely different platforms...
Mondeo is EUCD (European)
Mazda 6 is CD3 (Japanese)
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2010, 05:25 PM   #69
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
Either way my point still stands. The suggestion styling kills cars outright is veyr misleading. You have to have a shocking car (i.e. way different to current trends) to pull that off. AU falcon comes closest in recent memory.
completely disagree!! Styling is the NUMBER ONE & FIRST factor for me and new cars!! Design an ugly car & I dont care how good the other features are I'm not buying or even considering!! At least if it looks good, I'll give it a look..

IMO the dash kills the Mondeo..It is terrible I think!! Give me a commodore dash over a Mondeo dash.. Again a looks thing!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2010, 05:27 PM   #70
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
No it ain't, they're completely different platforms...
Mondeo is EUCD (European)
Mazda 6 is CD3 (Japanese)
Ah well I stand corrected.

I thought Fordza's included:

6/mondeo/volvo s??

3/focus/volvo s40

I must be behind the times.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane

Last edited by Polyal; 01-04-2010 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:28 PM   #71
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Personally... and im as blue blood as anyone, the 6 is a far better looking car than the mondeo, ESPECIALLY in wagon form.
Its a personal thing but the sales contrast between the 6 and mondeo clearly shows something isn't connecting it with consumers.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:30 PM   #72
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Personally... and im as blue blood as anyone, the 6 is a far better looking car than the mondeo, ESPECIALLY in wagon form.
Its a personal thing but the sales contrast between the 6 and mondeo clearly shows something isn't connecting it with consumers.
No I agree, the 6 is a better looking car but the mondeo is far from ugly; maybe not as edgy.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 01-04-2010, 05:36 PM   #73
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Ah well I stand corrected.

I thought Fordza's included:

6/mondeo/volvo s40

3/focus/another volvo

I must be behind the times.
No, the US opted out of replacing Contour with anotherMondeo and went for Mazda 6 based Fusion
mainly because it was already V6 engineered and USA compliant.
Now they have to switch all that V6, Hybrid and AWd engineering over to the Mondeo platform
to make the new CD4 for conjoined Fusion/Mondeo and future (2014/2015) Taurus...
Old 01-04-2010, 05:48 PM   #74
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra240t
Spot on. It just needs constant marketing so Australians know what it is, and by marketing I don't mean a TV ad every blue moon, proper advertising...
Old 01-04-2010, 08:05 PM   #75
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Wifie (a member here who insults Commodore ownership, and that car) is in line for a Titanium diesel (not wagon), kinda waiting for a couple of features to arrive, Sony's DAB+ radio system being one.

Like its Euro safety bits and styling, and don't mind the taillights either, plus economy were primary factors for her choice. Mazda 6 option was looked at, but no show, ditto CX7 of all things.

Someone posted pics of the due mid-year??? 2010-2011 Mondeo range with its 'improved diesel performance' etc,- highlighted in the thread starters post. The pics show the face-lifted car has LED DRL's, therefore a redesigned front-end that may or may not win favour, she likes the current-date non DRL design but is still not put off.

Nothing really 'wrong' with the current date diesel motor though??
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2010, 08:24 PM   #76
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
I agree on the sales situation. Ford has struggled (and its hardly the first time) to get the mondeo proposition to 'cut through' to consumers. Contrast this with fiesta which has worked quite well.

I just dont' think its due to the styling is all.....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 01-04-2010, 08:32 PM   #77
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
completely disagree!! Styling is the NUMBER ONE & FIRST factor for me and new cars!! Design an ugly car & I dont care how good the other features are I'm not buying or even considering!! At least if it looks good, I'll give it a look..

IMO the dash kills the Mondeo..It is terrible I think!! Give me a commodore dash over a Mondeo dash.. Again a looks thing!!
It is funny this situation. It reminds of the whole 'ladies driving manuals' debate. Most of the marketplace favours autos these days. The perception has always been that manual buyers are those after sport models and mainly 'males'. But there are a group of female drivers that abhore autos and only drive manuals. Only a small % but very loyal.

Likewise, a certain % of the car market is very sytle driven. But i suspect that is largely either particualry style conscious invidivuals (i.e. style is important to them in their daily lives) and/or the car aficianados. These are guys that go after EL GTs because they love the EL look....rather than AU T series that are better cars but just dont look 'right'.

Most buyers i feel buy not on how a car looks, or even it's features/mechanicals etc. But mostly perception. Perception about safety. Perception about build quality. Perception about resale. And most importantly perception about the brand/image.

Most people dont' really care how a car looks day to day as long as it isnt majorly polarising. Who the hell buys a camry if looks were important (it doesnt have any....)? The highest selling cars are mostly the least adventurously styled. I'm convinced Mazda's current styling direction is going the wrong way not so much because i personall dislike it but because it is too out there and too heavy handed. VE 2 HSV is one thing, average family car is another....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 01-04-2010, 10:19 PM   #78
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It is funny this situation. It reminds of the whole 'ladies driving manuals' debate. Most of the marketplace favours autos these days. The perception has always been that manual buyers are those after sport models and mainly 'males'. But there are a group of female drivers that abhore autos and only drive manuals. Only a small % but very loyal.

Likewise, a certain % of the car market is very sytle driven. But i suspect that is largely either particualry style conscious invidivuals (i.e. style is important to them in their daily lives) and/or the car aficianados. These are guys that go after EL GTs because they love the EL look....rather than AU T series that are better cars but just dont look 'right'.

Most buyers i feel buy not on how a car looks, or even it's features/mechanicals etc. But mostly perception. Perception about safety. Perception about build quality. Perception about resale. And most importantly perception about the brand/image.

Most people dont' really care how a car looks day to day as long as it isnt majorly polarising. Who the hell buys a camry if looks were important (it doesnt have any....)? The highest selling cars are mostly the least adventurously styled. I'm convinced Mazda's current styling direction is going the wrong way not so much because i personall dislike it but because it is too out there and too heavy handed. VE 2 HSV is one thing, average family car is another....
Yep, pretty much sums up Toyota.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:30 PM   #79
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I agree on the sales situation. Ford has struggled (and its hardly the first time) to get the mondeo proposition to 'cut through' to consumers. Contrast this with fiesta which has worked quite well.

Yet Mazda hardly advertise at all and seem to be dominating.

Ford advertised the bejesus out of the mondeo.
Advertising will only get you so far, if the product doesnt live upto expectations it still wont sell...

Old 01-04-2010, 10:58 PM   #80
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

The Fiesta sells becuase it looks good & is one of the best looking light cars on the market!!! Your down playing of looks is so far from the market.
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2010, 10:58 PM   #81
music189
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mazda,subaru and toyota have taken to the designs with the ugly stick lately IMO!!! I like th e look of the Mondeo but dont run out of deisel in one as it is a workshop job to get them going again!!!!!!!
music189 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2010, 07:28 AM   #82
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well at least you see some Mondeo's about.
Cant remember the last time i saw an Epica, does Holden sell any??
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2010, 10:13 AM   #83
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exciting news for the couple of people who walk into a Ford dealership and notice it.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2010, 10:18 AM   #84
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodX
Telstar? that name still have some good vibes?

How come the Mazda 6 which is the same car really sells up a storm?
Mazda 6 is sold and supported by Mazda and its dealers, while the Mondeo is sold and serviced by Ford dealers and denied responsibility for anything else (particuarly if it should go wrong) by Ford Australia.

Most people have that figured out by now when it comes to buying a new car and buy accordingly.

Time for Ford (US) to fix the problem - Ford Aust and its dealer network, otherwise how good a particular Ford product might be is irrelevant to its sales results.

Meanwhile the diehard Ford fans make excuses about profit vs volume, while the brand slips down the charts each year on its way to import only status and a future like Nissan Australia.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2010, 02:13 PM   #85
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
The Fiesta sells becuase it looks good & is one of the best looking light cars on the market!!! Your down playing of looks is so far from the market.
Perhaps so. But that would a departure from my theory purely BECAUSE that segment is so style conscious. Look who buys light cars....young ladies (generalistion of course). They wouldn't know nor care what engine it has, or even what an engine is as long as it looks funky and has ipod integration.... Definition of 'style conscious' demograpic.

Still, the light segment is pretty damn small so overall i'm sticking to my guns...

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....

Last edited by Swordsman88; 03-04-2010 at 02:25 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:20 PM   #86
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Yet Mazda hardly advertise at all and seem to be dominating.

Ford advertised the bejesus out of the mondeo.
Advertising will only get you so far, if the product doesnt live upto expectations it still wont sell...
Not sure what TV you were watching but (albeit it has increased a bit lately) i bet my bacon mazda advertised at least as much as ford for their medium car competitor. Mondeo was the return of a (somewhat unloved) model....mazda had pre-existing recognition from the previous model and they still ran lots of ads based on what i've seen. Online, print and TV. THey have ads on right now for the 'update' mazda 6. Weren't there complaints from people on here and in the industry that upon Mondeo launch Ford didn't advertise enough??

Either way, its still perception. Even if mazda did advertise less it doesn't matter, its fashionable right now to have a mazda. Good for them, people obviously like zoom zoom. Doesn't mean the mondeo fails to sell because its a bad product. It isn't. Period. I'm not saying i like the fact it sells poorly, but it aint' a bad car.

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 03-04-2010, 02:34 PM   #87
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why do i get the feeling that fors are using the mondeo wagon as a testing ground for a fwd falcon.
I really hope it sells poorly . Because if it doesn't i can see them slotting taurus quite easily
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2010, 03:45 PM   #88
4.0i_SiX
SiX_iN_a_RoW

Quote:
Why?? It is just starting to get a name here in Aust & you want to change it now??

Because anyone I talk to about it cringes as soon as I say the word Mondeo. Its the same with the Taurus. The last time both name plates were here in Australia they were an abomination that left a bitter taste in peoples mouths.

its obviously too late to change the name now, but I wonder how much better it would have sold if it were introduced under a different name

Last edited by 4.0i_SiX; 03-04-2010 at 03:51 PM.
4.0i_SiX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2010, 05:53 PM   #89
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy
Why do i get the feeling that fors are using the mondeo wagon as a testing ground for a fwd falcon.
I really hope it sells poorly . Because if it doesn't i can see them slotting taurus quite easily
I can't see that happening just yet, Falcon is barley two years into its product cycle
and it would cost too much to tear up supplier contracts and employee reducrancies.

Think simple and it all makes sense.
Ford can't justify a new Falcon S/Wagon now that Mondeo is available.
Anything more than that is imagination running wild.....
Old 03-04-2010, 08:28 PM   #90
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Mazda have a sales target of 680 Mazda 6's a month according to yesterdays Carsguide. Mondeo sales are getting up to 500 a month with the diesel wagon yet to come to attract fleets.

By those numbers the 6 is not the dominant sales force you think it is. Mondeo will outsell it if some fleets switch from Falcon wagon to Mondeo wagon.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post