Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-07-2010, 10:48 PM   #61
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
No ute (F150 excepted) to carry that load. Its a braked trailer. Or a broken ute.
You don't reckon the half chassis 1 tonne Falcons could do it (if they had to)?

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2010, 11:15 PM   #62
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Falcon is full chassis. Commodore is half. Falcon could possibly handle it. but it is a risk. Remember, it's not just the car, but suspension, diff, tyres and wheels . All factors that need to be considered. Falcon utes do have a load levelling bias for braking. It is a lot of weight though.

As was mentioned in another thread, an XR6 C/C, with 1 tonne suspension is load rated at 1240 kgs. Thats still at least 260 kgs less than I think that ute had in it. And my guess is of a photo. It could be more weight.

The other consideration, is if you are overloaded, and have an accident, you will be in the wrong.

I'm also assuming that the sand and cement are for tiling. If that is correct, the amount in the ute is good for a job worth around $600 odd. Now I'm being generous, he may not have had that much in the job, because the dumbest part of this, is that in Brisbane Metro, the most delivery you should pay is about $60.

Wonder how much his ute will cost to repair??
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2010, 11:58 PM   #63
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

This is why I am forever telling(gave up on asking) customers to go to our sales office and find out about delivery costs.
You can't load 150sticks of 6m long pine on a ute like that. But they insist on doing it cos "she'll be right". As a safety concious employee, and I don't want to get fired, I remind them that it's illegal for them to overload anyway...and we are liable for letting them.
Delivery with us is $65 for anywhere within 20klm plus a weight charge over 500kgs, custom order doors will cost more as two people go out with the doors to make sure they aren't damaged on delivery.
It really isn't hard, cost of fixing the ute and losing business by not working is bigger than saving a few quid on a delivery fee.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2010, 12:03 AM   #64
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

He was just trying to follow V3RSAC3's example! :P
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2010, 12:04 AM   #65
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
This is why I am forever telling(gave up on asking) customers to go to our sales office and find out about delivery costs.
You can't load 150sticks of 6m long pine on a ute like that. But they insist on doing it cos "she'll be right". As a safety concious employee, and I don't want to get fired, I remind them that it's illegal for them to overload anyway...and we are liable for letting them.
Delivery with us is $65 for anywhere within 20klm plus a weight charge over 500kgs, custom order doors will cost more as two people go out with the doors to make sure they aren't damaged on delivery.
It really isn't hard, cost of fixing the ute and losing business by not working is bigger than saving a few quid on a delivery fee.
Some landscape suppliers Have a surcharge for materials under 1 Cubic metre. Makes sense, sell more product, lower the delivery fee.
Old 14-07-2010, 01:33 AM   #66
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you have to admire the tenacity of some people
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2010, 09:32 AM   #67
irlewy86
Meep Meep

I'm suprised nobody has mentioned....

At least his tailgate didn't pop open!
Old 14-07-2010, 11:18 AM   #68
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Falcon is full chassis. Commodore is half. Falcon could possibly handle it. but it is a risk. Remember, it's not just the car, but suspension, diff, tyres and wheels . All factors that need to be considered. Falcon utes do have a load levelling bias for braking. It is a lot of weight though.

As was mentioned in another thread, an XR6 C/C, with 1 tonne suspension is load rated at 1240 kgs. Thats still at least 260 kgs less than I think that ute had in it. And my guess is of a photo. It could be more weight.

The other consideration, is if you are overloaded, and have an accident, you will be in the wrong.

I'm also assuming that the sand and cement are for tiling. If that is correct, the amount in the ute is good for a job worth around $600 odd. Now I'm being generous, he may not have had that much in the job, because the dumbest part of this, is that in Brisbane Metro, the most delivery you should pay is about $60.

Wonder how much his ute will cost to repair??
No falcon has a full chassis and no commodore has.

Commodore utes have proportioning valves for braking to.

Being a tiler he maybe doing a renovation job that would not let him drop sand on the job sight. or he wants to make sure the sand is the good stuff and with out other rubbish mixed in with it.

It probably could be a $600 job in the work of the floor less wage & materials and tax he would make about $12 an hour in his hand. most tilers in QLD don't get payed anything to do the compo bedded floors so he makes nothing for the bed at all.
If you got a concreter in to do just the bedding it would cost about $500 for a 3rd rate job.
The tilers up hear in QLD are stupid fools. but the builders demand it that way because it's always good for a joke when they can get away with it.

It's only a wheel bearing failure it can happen to any one that just can't tell what that noise is. it can happen loaded or unloaded.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2010, 11:20 AM   #69
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Falcon is full chassis. Commodore is half.
No they're not, they're both unitary body construction however the Falcon ute has a ladder-chassis for the rear section hence the term 'half chassis' whilst the Commodore is full unitary.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2010, 11:20 AM   #70
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's actually the "flat-bed" version that came out sometime back then.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2010, 12:27 PM   #71
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When I was an apprentice myself and another were told to load up a ute with a pile of electric bricks to take to a sub we were building so we did what we were told.
One standing in the back the other up on the leading ramp neither of us could see that we has loaded about one and a had tonnes onto a WB ute.
It was not until we went to drive it that the "wheelstanding" attitude and almost flat rear tyres of the vehicle was noticed so we decided to unload half and make 2 trips (the joys of being a public vegetable, time and cost are always irrelevent).

The ute seemed to recover OK....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2010, 12:58 PM   #72
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

I have a friend who went the VE SS ute because he didn't want the 'dinosaur' leaf spring technology in the Falcon. He also didn't like the tub on the ute having a 'separated' look. I must admit i dont know a whole lot about this kind of thing so didn't know how to respond.

Is there a reason Ford use this particular technology and 'separate' the tray from the cabin (so to speak)? Are there advantages to it (such as towing and load bearing advantages)? Or is it really dinosaur technology?

Teach me
Old 14-07-2010, 01:37 PM   #73
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inducted_Breeze
Is there a reason Ford use this particular technology and 'separate' the tray from the cabin (so to speak)? Are there advantages to it (such as towing and load bearing advantages)? Or is it really dinosaur technology?
Separated is more truck-like, all-in-one is more car like. But you saw the advantages of "car-like." Not very tough. The Honda Ridgeline is like that, but people consider it to be just a toy.

"Durability
Pickup trucks are more durable than most other vehicle types. Their rear beds are separated from the cab, allowing for chassis flex that enables pickups to withstand, carry and pull heavier loads than any other type of passenger vehicle. Most of them have four-wheel drive, enabling them to drive through more hazardous terrain. If you're looking for a vehicle to use for hard labor jobs, the pickup truck is the best option."

Read more: The Pros & Cons of Owning a Pickup Truck | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5492055_pr...#ixzz0tcXq5grN
I think adding to that, it is best to have a very rigid chassis, but having the body allowing for any flex that could happen.

And having it not separated is not "dinosaur" technology? LOL, check this out... http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/02...y-pickups.html So Holden went with an idea Ford had which was unsuccessful back in 1961!

Last edited by chevypower; 14-07-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Old 14-07-2010, 01:57 PM   #74
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

I think he was largely pointing to leafspring as dinosaur technology. I dont know enough about the subject either way but am curious as to why Ford do things differently.
Old 14-07-2010, 03:37 PM   #75
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do you see coil springs on a truck. no never. the leaf spring is superior for more weight.
So we have falcon utes with 1 tonne capacity and holden had a 1 tonne VY VZ commodore with the leaf sprung rear to. so you see holden did not use the coil springs in the 1 tonne because they are not stupid.
Our new falcon XR6 & XR8 utes still have the leaf springs and they are very well designed leaf setup.
No all leaf springs are the same there are rubbish and good just like coil springs setup can be good and bad.
If you drive a VS commo type ute with about 700KG in the back it tends to bounce up higher and lower than a similar weight in a normal weight capacity falcon ute. so the falcon will ride along better with that weight in it. the VS will ride better empty. and the IRS in the holden utes are only for weight up to about 700 KG. then the diff sits very low to the ground ya would not want hit a brick on the road. but you can put air bag helpers in them and they do OK.
Old 14-07-2010, 03:59 PM   #76
BA Baracus
xls

Separated body also for versatility. Rear can be swapped between tub, tray and service bodies.
BA Baracus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2010, 04:02 PM   #77
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by castellan
Do you see coil springs on a truck. no never. the leaf spring is superior for more weight.
So we have falcon utes with 1 tonne capacity and holden had a 1 tonne VY VZ commodore with the leaf sprung rear to. so you see holden did not use the coil springs in the 1 tonne because they are not stupid.
Our new falcon XR6 & XR8 utes still have the leaf springs and they are very well designed leaf setup.
No all leaf springs are the same there are rubbish and good just like coil springs setup can be good and bad.
If you drive a VS commo type ute with about 700KG in the back it tends to bounce up higher and lower than a similar weight in a normal weight capacity falcon ute. so the falcon will ride along better with that weight in it. the VS will ride better empty. and the IRS in the holden utes are only for weight up to about 700 KG. then the diff sits very low to the ground ya would not want hit a brick on the road. but you can put air bag helpers in them and they do OK.

I know that Military vehicles for rugged, extreme off road work use massive coils

sure, on commerically avaliable stuff, theres nary a coil to be found....

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2010, 05:04 PM   #78
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew`SEVNT5
I know that Military vehicles for rugged, extreme off road work use massive coils

sure, on commerically avaliable stuff, theres nary a coil to be found....
Different purposes though. The Humvee had fully independent suspension, but it wasn't as much of a load carrier as it was an off-road vehicle (that could also go fast while doing it). Trucks/pickups designed for payload and towing usually have a live rear axle with leaf springs. Look at the vehicles in the military that carry the Humvee (or similar) on the back of it.
Old 14-07-2010, 05:06 PM   #79
jamesson1980
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Half a KM back down the road was his trailer carrying his other VS ute which had his dog and lunchbox in the back

2009 FG XR6, Ego Paint, Darkest possible tint, Sunroof, Black Vic number plates. No performance mods. Born To Be Mild
jamesson1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2010, 05:59 PM   #80
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lesson: pay for delivery because it's cheaper then repairs.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2010, 07:03 PM   #81
bingoTE50
Steve

too much bass bro...
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2010, 07:45 PM   #82
billy302

Ford Fan or not I feel sorry for the owner. When the insurance company finds out guess what no insurance.

As a dump truckie who used to be a brick carter, I have seen countless vehicles ruined by people overloading utes and trailers daily at the brick yard.
The best I've seen was 9 trailers in 1 day.
A carpenter friend of mine came to our house one day for a cupa while going to a home renovation several streets away.
He had so much stuff in his ute you could just about roll it over while stationary in our drive it was so top heavy.
People don't think and as some have said; she-al be right mate!
Just dumb whether Holden or Ford.
billy302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2010, 09:17 PM   #83
Benny_88
Benny

typical holden , just cant handle the work, a falcon wouldve done that **** easy and it wouldnt have know the weight was there, have done it before going fishing in the territory had 1.3tonne on, was a smooth ride. :P
Benny_88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2010, 09:43 PM   #84
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

the 'oh fords would do that standing on their ear' comments are very cliche
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2010, 10:15 PM   #85
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by castellan
No falcon has a full chassis and no commodore has.

Commodore utes have proportioning valves for braking to.

Being a tiler he maybe doing a renovation job that would not let him drop sand on the job sight. or he wants to make sure the sand is the good stuff and with out other rubbish mixed in with it.

It probably could be a $600 job in the work of the floor less wage & materials and tax he would make about $12 an hour in his hand. most tilers in QLD don't get payed anything to do the compo bedded floors so he makes nothing for the bed at all. If you got a concreter in to do just the bedding it would cost about $500 for a 3rd rate job.
The tilers up hear in QLD are stupid fools. but the builders demand it that way because it's always good for a joke when they can get away with it.

It's only a wheel bearing failure it can happen to any one that just can't tell what that noise is. it can happen loaded or unloaded.

You seem very argumentive. I actually make sure I do get paid for screeding.

As for being a fool, I would love to meet you face to face and have you say that. Better have Gecko GT on hand, YOU WILL NEED HIM.
Old 14-07-2010, 11:06 PM   #86
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go for it Ned.
Damned tilers! LOL
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2010, 11:18 AM   #87
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You seem very argumentive. I actually make sure I do get paid for screeding.

As for being a fool, I would love to meet you face to face and have you say that. Better have Gecko GT on hand, YOU WILL NEED HIM.
Do you live in Brisbane. are you a tiler. if you are i hope you do charge for compo beds. i do but it is hard when competing with all the so called tilers and some so called builders.
I would love to talk with you any day you like. send a private messages for that.
Old 15-07-2010, 11:27 AM   #88
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

enough bravado gents, and generalisation on professions, back on topic thanks
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2010, 12:38 PM   #89
Fled74
The Thread Killa

It's not the car's fault, it's the driver's.

About 6 months ago this Indian couple in a late-model Holden ute went too quick around the roundabout on Boundary Road in Derrimut VIC, right in front of my workplace. Half of their unsecured load of 20-litre paint buckets (about 20 of them) fell out and covered the entire road in white paint.
Traffic was held up for 3-4 hours while cleanup crews scrubbed the paint off the road and cops directed traffic. The entire time, this couple stood beside their parked vehicle at the roadside, paint dripping out of the tailgate, enduring the abuse hurled at them by motorists whose cars (and tyres) received an impromptu paint job.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2010, 03:53 PM   #90
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

If that happened to me I would be demanding cash to clean/repaint my car. I hope they got hit with a fine.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post