Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 11:34 PM   #61
BHDOGS
Banned

Default Re: august 5 electricity increase

nuclear wins for baseload power and emissions hands down thats it discussion over start building em build one i my back yard if you want ill supply the lemonades
Old 04-08-2011, 01:25 AM   #62
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
Quote Sorry, there are limits on transmission lines...about 300k's from memory...then the losses are so huge it's uneconomical...the further it has to go the more they have to jack up the voltage...after about 500,000 volts it makes your hair stand up and the spark will jump nearly a metre through the air. the cost of the insulators,the towers etc all rise dramatically.

Hmm The high voltage will carry alot of load with small cables..
Volts & amps are always proportional...
Not sure what you are trying to say here?

For the same electrical power, current and voltage are inversely proportional, P= VI.......is the matter under discussion

however, if you are talking about the applied voltage across an ohmic load varying in direct proportions to the current, then your statement is fine.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:44 AM   #63
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo_broady
wow, so much ignorance in one post, it's giving me a headache. actually, scratch that, in the whole thread. *note to self* i must stop reading these type of threads...

sorry for hurting your feelings...

i just ignore them anyway, and only pop in if i'm bored, or just to see who's arguing about x statement posted by x person.......
Old 04-08-2011, 08:27 AM   #64
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Hey Z80 - you off the grid in totality? (Banks of what I presume are dry cell batts)??

Lake Mac NSW - Energy AUS, recently rejigged by name, have a 'Service Availability Charge' that is around $470 per year I think, a charge even if your not connected to them!
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Old 04-08-2011, 09:53 AM   #65
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrghiawagon
i just ignore them anyway, and only pop in if i'm bored, or just to see who's arguing about x statement posted by x person.......
seriously, the level of rubbish posted in this thread (and the house price & the NBN) is astounding!!

@ keepleft - same applies for water too. it's a charge they levy to cover costs of maintaining the supply lines.

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at

Last edited by mondo_broady; 04-08-2011 at 10:01 AM.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:00 AM   #66
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudszy
Not sure what you are trying to say here?

For the same electrical power, current and voltage are inversely proportional, P= VI.......is the matter under discussion

however, if you are talking about the applied voltage across an ohmic load varying in direct proportions to the current, then your statement is fine.
One major reason of the H.V in transmission lines is it doesn't require heavy cables to carry the load.. Yes over the distance more pressure / voltage is required..
Just adding another aspect why HV is required..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
Old 04-08-2011, 10:30 AM   #67
z80
Banned

Quote:
Hmm The high voltage will carry a lot of load with small cables..
Volts & amps are always proportional...

What's your point?

(The efficiency of transmission is the question, not the carrying capacity of the wiring.)

efficiency=power out Vs power in
Old 04-08-2011, 03:25 PM   #68
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80
What's your point?

(The efficiency of transmission is the question, not the carrying capacity of the wiring.)

efficiency=power out Vs power in
It does.. If the cables have to be 120mm thick ...
Or they would run 415v every where..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
Old 04-08-2011, 08:49 PM   #69
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
One major reason of the H.V in transmission lines is it doesn't require heavy cables to carry the load.. Yes over the distance more pressure / voltage is required..
Just adding another aspect why HV is required..
But this is what you said previously:
Quote:
Hmm The high voltage will carry alot of load with small cables..
Volts & amps are always proportional... ..

So you really meant to say voltage and current are inversely proportional.

Making the voltage higher reduces the current for a given power load, the current determines the diameter of wire necessary
Old 05-08-2011, 12:06 AM   #70
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:

Making the voltage higher reduces the current for a given power load, the current determines the diameter of wire necessary
you know what he means as well as i do!!
stop playing symantecs..
Old 05-08-2011, 02:07 AM   #71
z80
Banned

Quote:

Not always the case....your explanation is either simplistic or uneducated.

(probably the latter)

The coefficient of resistivity for a given conductive material and temperature as well as the cross sectional area of the conductor determines it's current flow.

Give me any conductor, any cross sectional area and i'll make it capable of any current by either changing the ambient temperature, the wire thickness or the voltage.

There's more to elec-trickery than simple ohm's law.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:50 AM   #72
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
you know what he means as well as i do!!
stop playing symantecs..
at the risk of being symantec.......its actually semantic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80
Not always the case....your explanation is either simplistic or uneducated.

(probably the latter)

The coefficient of resistivity for a given conductive material and temperature as well as the cross sectional area of the conductor determines it's current flow.

Give me any conductor, any cross sectional area and i'll make it capable of any current by either changing the ambient temperature, the wire thickness or the voltage.

There's more to elec-trickery than simple ohm's law.
ffs

I think we are still talking about using the same aluminium conducting wires and actually having them planted on the surface of the planet where they'll be in the range of -10 to 60C here in Aus(of course if you want to tell us what diameter wires we will need if we get it down to superconductor temps, that would be real interesting).......guessing the purpose of the ^is you are trying to get even for being exposed for previous nonsense in this thread

Last edited by sudszy; 05-08-2011 at 08:58 AM.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:00 PM   #73
z80
Banned

Quote:
I think we are still talking about using the same aluminium conducting wires and actually having them planted on the surface of the planet where they'll be in the range of -10 to 60C here in Aus(of course if you want to tell us what diameter wires we will need if we get it down to superconductor temps, that would be real interesting).......guessing the purpose of the ^is you are trying to get even for being exposed for previous nonsense in this thread

*yawn* I just had to expose you as a simpleton who needlessly trolls around feigning intelligence by reiteration of ohm's law over and over.

You've bored me out of this thread sudszy.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:08 PM   #74
gtfpv
GT

havent read this thread , so i hope i'm not off topic . . my electricity . increase has just been forwarded to me , with chagre rates and dily usage noted .
i worked out approx $871/qtr inclusive about $100/extra/qtr at most . not going to break me .
Old 05-08-2011, 07:59 PM   #75
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

You are right on topic, gtfpv.
The others have wandered off.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:18 AM   #76
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
havent read this thread , so i hope i'm not off topic . . my electricity . increase has just been forwarded to me , with chagre rates and dily usage noted .
i worked out approx $871/qtr inclusive about $100/extra/qtr at most . not going to break me .
whom are you with??
i'm with AGL so i expect to see origin and others follow suit..
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
increase in price effective aug 5th

cents/KWH

current new
peak 40.04...44.11
shoulder 14.85...18.70
off peak 8.36...10.34
load1 8.36...9.02
load2 12.10...11.88
service charge per day (cents) 57.20...79.20

cant wait for carbon tax on top!!
Old 06-08-2011, 11:06 AM   #77
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

This has well run it's course.

Unfortunately (as is nearly always the case with this type of discussion) a handful of argumentative internet experts ruin what should have been an informative topic and leave the few valuable bits buried under the crap.

Let me make a very clear warning to those concerned - and you know who you are.

If this ruining of every similar thread with petty arguments (as opposed to serious debate) and dick waving continues then one or both of two things will happen.

1. The people taking the debate / topic off course will be warned and if necessary banned.

2. The threads will be closed or moved to a discussion area where they can be dealt with in a mature manner.

Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Closed Thread