Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-01-2012, 09:57 PM   #61
Envi XR8
I love my beast too!

Default Re: Model building - a childhood past time??

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNM96
Okay, so I built a Milennium Falcon in 1980. i have done nothing since. My boy is 9. Interested in race cars. What size would be a good starter point, not too hard, not too expensive?

Love peoples efforts!
I would check eBay first, or depending on where you are, some of the states hold swap meets each year where a bargin can be had. You might be able to pick up something fairly cheap. I wouldn't worry too much about all the colours etc, as it will be a test mule to see if you or your boy is interested enough to do another one.

PM me for more details.
Envi XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2012, 10:17 PM   #62
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Heres one of my diorama's from a few years back. It was based on the life of a car from - new to deralict then restoration & customised

Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2012, 10:29 PM   #63
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envi XR8
anyone interested in a group build? we could pick one kit and all build it and take pics? Could be fun?!
I'm up for it .
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2012, 10:33 PM   #64
Envi XR8
I love my beast too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neale
Heres one of my diorama's from a few years back. It was based on the life of a car from - new to deralict then restoration & customised

that is really cool!...
Old 02-01-2012, 10:36 PM   #65
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNM96
Okay, so I built a Milennium Falcon in 1980. i have done nothing since. My boy is 9. Interested in race cars. What size would be a good starter point, not too hard, not too expensive?

Love peoples efforts!
Airfix do some brilliant starter kits that come with the glue paint and a brush for about $15.00 to $ 20.00 depending where you shop . Below are just 2 examples .

http://www.modelzone.co.uk/model-kit...arter-set.html

http://www.modelzone.co.uk/model-kit...arter-set.html
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2012, 10:59 PM   #66
Falcman0o7
Banned

There really is some bloody great skills here! Awesome models. I used to build them, started with planes then cars. Loved going overboard on the detail.
Shame most of the cars you can get are american.
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2012, 11:22 PM   #67
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

That kit in my first post was $15
wulos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2012, 11:53 AM   #68
ChrisCE

What an awesome thread, I used to build 1/72 scale WW2 battlefields, but havent touched the stuff for more than a decade....always "goona get back to it".

my brother still builds cars & has an awesome collection of showroom quality cars now, ill see if I can get some pics & post em here!
ChrisCE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2012, 02:41 PM   #69
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongwaynorris
I'm up for it .
Now that's a great idea!! Pick a pretty common kit that most people all over the place could track down in the local, say, Toyworld...something relatively cheap and easy to find, and then tell people to go wild with it. Paint, tyres, wheels, engines, whatever they have in thier "parts box", and then set a deadline of, say, two months and see what everyone comes up with.

I'm in!
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2012, 03:01 PM   #70
Envi XR8
I love my beast too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
Now that's a great idea!! Pick a pretty common kit that most people all over the place could track down in the local, say, Toyworld...something relatively cheap and easy to find, and then tell people to go wild with it. Paint, tyres, wheels, engines, whatever they have in thier "parts box", and then set a deadline of, say, two months and see what everyone comes up with.

I'm in!
thinking about a bit more since the my first post, we don't have to all have same thing. Variety of subjects would be cool I reckon and would allow people to build what they have access to.

c'mon who else is in??... that's 3 of us...
Old 03-01-2012, 03:03 PM   #71
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

^^^^

I'm in, my 1:350 Prinz Eugen will be my first super detailed, air brushed, weathered and photo etched kit. Won't be for a while as I haven't got a large enough display case.

Where I buy my model stuff from, usually some kits in special.

http://www.hlj.com/top/Aut
Old 03-01-2012, 03:33 PM   #72
macman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used to LOVE building the 1/24 scale plastic kit cars, particularly all the American 1940's to 1970's cars. Used to love getting a kit for my b'day or Christmas.

Loved building them, then stripping them again, customising them etc and making something unique. Have a box of about 10-15 of them "built" somewhere... I suspect they're all starting to fall apart now - bits used to drop off (door mirrors etc). Would be interesting to see how they've held up 10 years later.

Still have two of my favourites on display at home, one I actually won an award for at a local model car show. Was a while ago though.

I also have about 10 unbuilt ones stashed away which I haven't even seen for about 5 years. Maybe one day...?
macman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2012, 07:29 PM   #73
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
thinking about a bit more since the my first post, we don't have to all have same thing. Variety of subjects would be cool I reckon and would allow people to build what they have access to.

If everyone had pretty much the same model, then it would be interesting to see everyones take on that style of car. Maybe something really common, like a mid-sixties Mustang fastback, and use that as a base...plenty of manufacturers make them so you aren't limited to just Revell or Monogram or Tamiya...as long as it was the same one.

But short of that, yes, give people a start date, then post pics of the box you've chosen and then "works in progress" as time goes on maybe up to the "finish date".
Old 03-01-2012, 08:18 PM   #74
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:

I like the idea we all work towards the same thing, rather than all off in a different direction.

How about we set some guidelines, max price for model, then say we do a boat, a classic car, a plane, a tank, a race car and a free round. Thats 6 rounds, 2 months a round. Winner selects model for next round, but can only select once.

If we get some support from a shop, they may give discounts and help with supply, as well as perhaps prizes.

If we set it up well, I am in.

Thats 4
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2012, 08:30 PM   #75
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by macman
I used to LOVE building the 1/24 scale plastic kit cars, particularly all the American 1940's to 1970's cars. Used to love getting a kit for my b'day or Christmas.

Loved building them, then stripping them again, customising them etc and making something unique. Have a box of about 10-15 of them "built" somewhere... I suspect they're all starting to fall apart now - bits used to drop off (door mirrors etc). Would be interesting to see how they've held up 10 years later.

Still have two of my favourites on display at home, one I actually won an award for at a local model car show. Was a while ago though.

I also have about 10 unbuilt ones stashed away which I haven't even seen for about 5 years. Maybe one day...?
same here, after a while you get a fair amout of spare parts.

Reminds me of this one I built out of a few spare parts from trucks & cars for a bit of fun.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:30 PM   #76
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

Personally, I would be happy to simply see what people are building. Setting goals, group builds is all good and well, but deciding what to do, when is to me kinda limiting...
What some people would find extremely basic, others may feel is completely out of their league, and as such might stop them from having a go in the first place.
For starters perhaps we can start simple. There seems to be a bit of interest in getting back on to old build, so why not start there? Let's see what people have got that they've been putting off, or have wanted to build, but been put off due to lack of time, or in need of a bit of friendly encouragement.

Time to dust off the boxes, paints, & brushes methinks. Gotta be quicker, & cheaper then buying a new kit, or more gear to hide what is already there waiting for that perfect rainy day.
wulos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2012, 08:33 PM   #77
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I may be intersted in the comp, but i already have so may kits that Im yet to build.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:09 PM   #78
Envi XR8
I love my beast too!

what I meant by a group build was just everyone building something rather than a comp (such as the group builds on Hyperscale). Competitions tend to scare off people who otherwise might have a go. I think the whole thing will benefit from a relaxed approach.
Comps also require some form of judging, or judges and just adds another complexity. For me the aim here is to see how many of us we can get involved; whether that is a plastic kit, diecast or even Col's young bloke and his mecano stuff. I don't really care, I just love looking at people's creativity.

Having said that, I do like comps as well, so maybe there could be some sort of poll at the end of the year for those interested in that sort of thing?

I am just happy to go along with general consensus, as I have been thinking all day about what I could start or re-start and take photos of....
Old 03-01-2012, 09:45 PM   #79
JG34JA

Oh. My. Goodness. Other people make 1/350 model ships... I thought I was alone...

Currently got as many of the RN Battleships as I can find in some form of build, other love is the mindless complexity of the IJN Battleships ('pagoda' foremasts ftw). A family member was on board HMS Hood on that fateful day in May, 1941 and I heard the story as a kid and got hooked from there. Here's some great work:

http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gall...pvb-index.html

I loved building as a kid, but then got into guitar/surfing/having kids. Started with 1/600 Airfix and 1/700 Japanese, then moved up as I could afford it. It's still inexpensive and within a kid's pocket money, for the Airfix kits at least. For the gamer generation of kids, they can now model the tanks/vehicles they play online. Cream on the cake for me was introducing my youngest to modelling and he took to it, we have done 1:48 remote control tanks, ships, RC cars, airbrushing, doing a V22 Osprey at present as well. Modelling gives very fine motor skills, has helped me revive an antique small steam engine as well. A word of warning: if you want to take it to a level of detail you are happy with, it will take HOURS. You may judge that it's better to spend those hours shaping a new board/other interest or project instead!

Like my poor XF, I find hlj very good to deal with, particularly with Japanese products/kits.

Why no one has been able to make all the Aussie muscle cars in simple 1:24 kits is absolutely beyond me - unlike with the real things, the WORLD would be your market with very little interference, and I am sure there would be modellers all over the world who would be curious about the large variety of cars made here. Wish I could make a tooling.

Cheers
JG34JA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2012, 10:18 PM   #80
JG34JA

I'd be up for a group build as well, great idea! How about a 1/24 scale Ford Muscle car?

For anyone about to do the 'super detail' thing on a ship, this link is great, the techniques are solid, and the modeller is very, very good:

http://modelshipwrights.kitmaker.net...cle&artid=2600
JG34JA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2012, 10:31 PM   #81
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG34JA
Oh. My. Goodness. Other people make 1/350 model ships... I thought I was alone...

Currently got as many of the RN Battleships as I can find in some form of build, other love is the mindless complexity of the IJN Battleships ('pagoda' foremasts ftw). A family member was on board HMS Hood on that fateful day in May, 1941 and I heard the story as a kid and got hooked from there. Here's some great work:

http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gall...pvb-index.html

I loved building as a kid, but then got into guitar/surfing/having kids. Started with 1/600 Airfix and 1/700 Japanese, then moved up as I could afford it. It's still inexpensive and within a kid's pocket money, for the Airfix kits at least. For the gamer generation of kids, they can now model the tanks/vehicles they play online. Cream on the cake for me was introducing my youngest to modelling and he took to it, we have done 1:48 remote control tanks, ships, RC cars, airbrushing, doing a V22 Osprey at present as well. Modelling gives very fine motor skills, has helped me revive an antique small steam engine as well. A word of warning: if you want to take it to a level of detail you are happy with, it will take HOURS. You may judge that it's better to spend those hours shaping a new board/other interest or project instead!

Like my poor XF, I find hlj very good to deal with, particularly with Japanese products/kits.

Why no one has been able to make all the Aussie muscle cars in simple 1:24 kits is absolutely beyond me - unlike with the real things, the WORLD would be your market with very little interference, and I am sure there would be modellers all over the world who would be curious about the large variety of cars made here. Wish I could make a tooling.

Cheers
I have seen the Kongo kit at a small model shop here in Adelaide. Looks fantastic!

Here's another amazing build, the French battleship Richelieu.

http://modelshipwrights.kitmaker.net...cle&artid=3364
Old 03-01-2012, 10:32 PM   #82
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To keep it simple, how about just "a Ford"...any Ford at all, as long as it's 1/24 scale? Don't make it a competition to scare people off, just everyone get stuck in and make a Ford, then come back and show what we've done later?
Old 03-01-2012, 11:35 PM   #83
homegrown
hotshot

My Ford Model cars would always cost me twice as much to buy because I would have to buy a drag car to put all the good gear in it
Old 03-01-2012, 11:36 PM   #84
homegrown
hotshot

Quote:

Love that by the way. Awesome Job.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:42 AM   #85
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
that is really cool!...
Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrown
Love that by the way. Awesome Job.

thanks guys, its also great to see other people's work. great for a bit of inspiration.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:03 PM   #86
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
To keep it simple, how about just "a Ford"...any Ford at all, as long as it's 1/24 scale? Don't make it a competition to scare people off, just everyone get stuck in and make a Ford, then come back and show what we've done later?
This sounds like a good Idea, Ive got the Gulf GT40 & a moffat ANZ sierra that Ive been wanting to build for a while
Old 04-01-2012, 12:29 PM   #87
macman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Neale, that customised monster of a hot-rod you built there is similar to the sort I used to do with all the left over bits.

With all the kits that are "2 in 1" you just get so many custom bits and spares that it's easy to put bits on other kits and make something different.

My favourite customised kit I did was a 70's Chevelle. First I built it stock, it was red with red trim. I then decided to change the wheels with some mags from another kit. It's last reincarnation I replaced its V8 with a straight six from another kit, made my own roll cage from the "tree" the kit parts come on, gutted the interior, changing the rims again, repainted it orange and covered it with stickers.

I remember it looking pretty cool but than again it was 10+ years ago and before I had any life-size cars to tinker with.

I'm definitely up for using this thread as an excuse to start work on one (provided my parents haven't chucked the old kits out, as I left them behind when I moved out).
macman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2012, 12:45 PM   #88
gtfpv
GT

yeah i think most people over 35 wouldve done it as a child , mine were all aircraft . i can still smell the glue just thinking about it . these days kids are too involved in watching sport , or playing xbox . and seeing grease on overalls in the last photos , thats a far way from where kids aspire too today . i think it would make them shudder . online businesses or things like that arte what they aspire to today .
my point is thats an old school world thesedays .
i'm going to buy my son a model because of this thread . cheers .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2012, 01:01 PM   #89
Cheese3
The BEST Falcon is the AU

Quote:

That looks amazing, i just wish at the restoration stage it would of had John Travolta standing on the roof singing instead, because everyone knows thats how cars are really restored
Cheese3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2012, 01:03 PM   #90
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by macman
Neale, that customised monster of a hot-rod you built there is similar to the sort I used to do with all the left over bits.

With all the kits that are "2 in 1" you just get so many custom bits and spares that it's easy to put bits on other kits and make something different.

My favourite customised kit I did was a 70's Chevelle. First I built it stock, it was red with red trim. I then decided to change the wheels with some mags from another kit. It's last reincarnation I replaced its V8 with a straight six from another kit, made my own roll cage from the "tree" the kit parts come on, gutted the interior, changing the rims again, repainted it orange and covered it with stickers.

I remember it looking pretty cool but than again it was 10+ years ago and before I had any life-size cars to tinker with.

I'm definitely up for using this thread as an excuse to start work on one (provided my parents haven't chucked the old kits out, as I left them behind when I moved out).

Thats the great part about plasic kits, you can let your imagination run wild & if it doesnt work you can pull it apart & repaint it or change it. Then if it still isnt what you want you could put a bunger in it & blow it up