Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-02-2013, 12:07 PM   #61
Gothefalcon
FAWD - No Boundaries
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: He takes long trips in his AWD Falcon & where ever he goes he sets out to meet forum members at various destinations. He does this without expectation of any sort. I have had the pleasure of spending time with Dhru on two of his separate trips and his gre Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The excellent write ups in your BF AWD Falcon Wagon thread 
Default Re: Reasons Not to let people drive your cars.

I've had my 98 NL 5.0 since new.... in all that time, only two other people have driven it ! My Mechanic (Who is a Ford nut with a few "special" Fords of his own).... and one of my closest friends... and even then it was only because we were on a trip back from Perth-Adelaide... and I needed a break for a few hours! Other than that.... everyone else who has asked for a drive has been told "No!" Even my mates, who's cars have been off the road for a few weeks whilst they get fixed, have asked to borrow it (as it is my 2nd car) and they get told "No!" I service and mantaine it properly of course... but for this reason alone... I believe it's why my Fairlane stills drives like new !

Very sorry to hear your sad tale... Even though your Mate has offered to pay for the fix... He shouldn't have "borrowed" your car without your permission ! I've been using my mates workshop for many years, to work on my car... I even have my own key... but I still call him to let him know when I'm coming over... and again when I'm done ! It's just a simple courtesy !

D

22 DJR Shell V-Power Mustang Eskymobile (my first EV)
07 BF2 AWD Falcon Wagon (Daily driver)
04 BA Falcon 1Tonner Ute (New Project)
03 BA Falcon Wagon (Spare)
98 NL Fairlane Ghia V8 (Weekend cruiser)
70 VG paddock racer (Cain it til it breaks.. fix it.. Cain it all over again !)
Gothefalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2013, 09:42 PM   #62
EF_Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6WGN View Post
I've always believed that the bottom end of a Tickford motor was the same as every other and all the modifications were in the head, fuel pressure regulator and ECU.

I was just looking at the position of the oil pressure switch - hmm mine is playing up and needs replacing - that's going to be an interesting job with the head and inlet manifold in place. Might be better to leave it until the next service and get it from underneath on a hoist.

What you have been forced to do is something I would love to do to mine - my head was done last year but now I'm noticing blue/grey smoke under acceleration - I'm thinking AUIII bottom end maybe.
It can be done without it being on a hoist because I've had to replace one already but it's interesting to say the least.
If i recall you remove the aircleaner box and find a tube socket of the correct size then a uni joint then a 4 inchish extension rod and a stubby ratchet. Then you can squeeze the whole lot under the manifold, it's easier if it's an EF or AU as there is no distributor but it can be done just wait until the engine is cold. Also they break fairly easy where the plastic joins the metal part of it.
Old 19-03-2013, 12:19 AM   #63
EF_Shark

Hey Dude I don't have to put updates here about the rebuild but i'm hoping some others might gain something from it and maybe have a go at some of the awesomeness going into my engine themselves.

Now i've cleared the air I have the head back now all ported out and decked 20thou.
It needed a few repairs around some of the water jackets but the porting looks really nice and should help add some pony's.
Also a Vernier cam gear has been ordered and I spent today cleaning up the block for some paint and the refitting of the hardware.

Last edited by AU1XLS; 24-07-2014 at 12:50 AM.
EF_Shark is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-07-2014, 11:55 PM   #64
EF_Shark

OK! So it's been ages since I updated it but the old girl is back together and run in and I had it dyno tuned last week. Next time i'm back i'll scan the chart but it ran 158rwkw and 370rwNM so not a bad result. Maybe more to be had by advancing the cam as it's still at 0 degree's but there isn't alot more easyish ponies to be had short of going to a serious cam like a wade 977B. Does run heaps smoother and isn't running filthy rich anymore so thats a gain.

Last edited by AU1XLS; 24-07-2014 at 12:48 AM.
5 users like this post:
Old 23-07-2014, 11:59 PM   #65
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_Shark View Post
OK! So it's been ages since I updated it but the old girl is back together and run in and I had it dyno tuned last week. Next time i'm back i'll scan the chart but it ran 158rwkw and 370rwNM so not a bad result. Maybe more to be had by advancing the cam as it's still at 0 degree's but there isn't alot more easyish ponies to be had short of going to a serious cam like a wade 977B. Does run heaps smoother and isn't running filthy rich anymore so thats a gain.
Nice, mine made 138KW at the rears with CMS Stage 3 head and 2a cam, but my bottom end has low comp across all 6, I'm hoping to make similar power to yours with a wrecker bottom end in good nic.

Last edited by AU1XLS; 24-07-2014 at 12:49 AM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2014, 12:03 AM   #66
EF_Shark

Mine had all new rings, bearings and gaskets while it was apart. The AU gasket and decking it 20 thou bumped compression a bit and it was tuned for 98RON. Before the tune in parts of the rev range it was running 12.0 AFR so you could see the fuel out the exhaust...
Old 24-07-2014, 12:49 AM   #67
XR6WGN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Welcome back and it's good to see that it all worked out well in the end.

It's Tax Cheque time soon so I've got some thinking to do in regards to my motor, it's the cold, winter mornings that it doesn't like (just like me ) even if I give it a couple of minutes to warm up - it still smokes quite heavily for a couple of minutes. To me it points to valve guides or stem seals but the head was completely rebuilt! That's what is leading me to think it's a worn piston ring!!

Was it just the sump modification needed to fit the AU block??

My Gallery Photos Here
XR6WGN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2014, 12:54 AM   #68
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Mine had all new rings, bearings and gaskets while it was apart. The AU gasket and decking it 20 thou bumped compression a bit and it was tuned for 98RON. Before the tune in parts of the rev range it was running 12.0 AFR so you could see the fuel out the exhaust...
Same here, J3 tuned for 98, AU MLS gasket, hopefully I get something similar power wise
Old 24-07-2014, 08:47 AM   #69
LTDHO
The one and only

My question.
Have you fitted a kill switch?
;-)
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2014, 01:51 PM   #70
EF_Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO View Post
My question.
Have you fitted a kill switch?
;-)
Not as such but the keys live in a secure location.
Old 24-07-2014, 01:54 PM   #71
EF_Shark

Trying to scratch my head about a solution to the LPG mixer. The 158kw was made without it in place but it sucks about 15-20kw when it is there. I have a feeling unless it's an injected setup thats just the price of it being there.
Has anyone ran a gas research carby as a throttlebody with decent results?
Old 24-07-2014, 02:39 PM   #72
EF_Shark

Quote:
Welcome back and it's good to see that it all worked out well in the end.

It's Tax Cheque time soon so I've got some thinking to do in regards to my motor, it's the cold, winter mornings that it doesn't like (just like me ) even if I give it a couple of minutes to warm up - it still smokes quite heavily for a couple of minutes. To me it points to valve guides or stem seals but the head was completely rebuilt! That's what is leading me to think it's a worn piston ring!!

Was it just the sump modification needed to fit the AU block??
I'm not sure because I used an EL tickford long motor I managed to find at a reasonable price. Rebuilding the bottom end wasn't actually too bad but you really need an engine crane and stand and a copy of the workshop manual.
Old 24-07-2014, 02:57 PM   #73
MattSAU2XR8

Quote:
Trying to scratch my head about a solution to the LPG mixer. The 158kw was made without it in place but it sucks about 15-20kw when it is there. I have a feeling unless it's an injected setup thats just the price of it being there.
Has anyone ran a gas research carby as a throttlebody with decent results?
That's about what I'd expect with a mixer being there, details in my old thread below.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11313246

Only way to get around the restriction properly is gas injection, but his is a whole lot more complexity and I can foresee a time when LPG will cost near as much as petrol per energy content at the bowser - mostly because it is an attractive heating fuel for houses. If you take the tax away then I think LPG is already dearer than petrol per energy content. I'd probably just use up the gas, remove the mixer only, seal the lines, and then think about what to do next for a year or two. Certainly no point doing cams and head work and having a mixer, and with gas getting dearer probably not worth converting to LPI.
MattSAU2XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2014, 03:46 PM   #74
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
I'm not sure because I used an EL tickford long motor I managed to find at a reasonable price. Rebuilding the bottom end wasn't actually too bad but you really need an engine crane and stand and a copy of the workshop manual.
Did you have the block bored/honed? I've got a standard size rebuild kit here with new rings, pistons and rods, I'm assuming if the block is good its just a case of honing and in go the new stuff?
Old 24-07-2014, 04:31 PM   #75
EF_Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Did you have the block bored/honed? I've got a standard size rebuild kit here with new rings, pistons and rods, I'm assuming if the block is good its just a case of honing and in go the new stuff?

Yeah if the block is ok with no big score marks or bad glazing like the pics at the start of the thread a simple hone is all it will need. The blocks are fairly sturdy.
Old 24-07-2014, 04:40 PM   #76
EF_Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattSAU2XR8 View Post
That's about what I'd expect with a mixer being there, details in my old thread below.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11313246

Only way to get around the restriction properly is gas injection, but his is a whole lot more complexity and I can foresee a time when LPG will cost near as much as petrol per energy content at the bowser - mostly because it is an attractive heating fuel for houses. If you take the tax away then I think LPG is already dearer than petrol per energy content. I'd probably just use up the gas, remove the mixer only, seal the lines, and then think about what to do next for a year or two. Certainly no point doing cams and head work and having a mixer, and with gas getting dearer probably not worth converting to LPI.
Yeah i'd almost reached that conclusion, 72 litres of LPG got me around 500-550kms but with the price being what it is and the extra you use it just doesn't seem as worth it as it used to. To maintain 110kph on petrol now is literally resting your foot on the go pedal a tiny bit.
Old 24-07-2014, 07:41 PM   #77
XR6WGN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'm not sure because I used an EL tickford long motor.
Just read back through the three pages and I see now that you did indeed use an EL Tickford motor - should have read it better. I've been talking to my long time mechanic who said they can pull the motor and strip it down, machine it and reassemble but it would be over a couple of weeks as it would be done in between their normal jobs. I'm quite comfortable with this but just need to pick some time when I don't need the car. (Could tidy up the engine bay at the same time I guess)

My Gallery Photos Here
XR6WGN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2014, 12:25 AM   #78
EF_Shark

Quote:
Just read back through the three pages and I see now that you did indeed use an EL Tickford motor - should have read it better. I've been talking to my long time mechanic who said they can pull the motor and strip it down, machine it and reassemble but it would be over a couple of weeks as it would be done in between their normal jobs. I'm quite comfortable with this but just need to pick some time when I don't need the car. (Could tidy up the engine bay at the same time I guess)

It's worth it man, after the rebuild it will have another 250,000kms of life to live!
Old 04-10-2014, 11:52 PM   #79
EF_Shark

End results were pretty good for a mild wade cam. Probably needs to be degreed but by the seat of the pants it pulls really well. The green line is with the gas mixer still on and a few of the ECU tweeks were not finished and the green line was the final tune without the gas mixer.

Last edited by EF_Shark; 04-10-2014 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Image broken