Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 19-07-2013, 05:24 AM   #61
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Default Re: Australia is living through a long recession

I'm a little irritated at the thread title. We are not in a recession, Australia is not doomed and just because factories are shutting down in Victoria does not mean our economy is up the creek.
Some industries boom and some don't. Things might be slowing down a bit but that's just the cycle, it happens. You can't go up and up forever. Australia is pretty resilient, we can and will get through any crisis thrown at us. During the tough times our brightest shine through creating new technologies, products and industries, these take off and before you know it the cycle is back in boom again. Rather than getting all upset about things embrace this new challenge, learn from past mistakes and above all strive for success. I plan on opening a restaurant in a few years time, it won't be easy but I will be spending the next few years doing my research and saving my money so I can realize my dream. Some people tell me not to bother and that I will lose all my money. I don't care, I'm going to take a risk. If no one took risks we would still be cave men.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
11 users like this post:
Old 19-07-2013, 09:24 AM   #62
Trump
bitch lasagne

By and large, I do agree with you Iggy. And 10 years ago, I would have wholeheartedly agreed with you. Where I disagree is that we've never had such a massive confluence of events where the entire global economy is on the edge of a cliff. With the US and Europe on the verge of implosion, and China slowing significantly, not to mention Australia has suffered a brain drain comparable to the one Britain experienced in the 1970's and 1980's, I don't see where this innovation and the ability or desire to fund it will come from.

Its looking messy to say the least. I'm an optimist for the most part and can usually see the silver lining to pretty much anything. But how things are playing out and the events and decisions being made in our name are concerning me...

Last edited by Trump; 19-07-2013 at 09:49 AM.
Old 19-07-2013, 09:36 AM   #63
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The U.S is in Dire Straights at the moment.....In September they will be making decisions on how to resolve the issues they have with the economy having negative GDP for along time......Hopefully they can come up with a solution and the world will keep turning.
China has said they will cut spending to some degree also.
Old 19-07-2013, 11:21 AM   #64
maty
territorytx

The transport has been down a bit in sydney. Toll Ipec is planning its new facility which i guess is a show of confidence into he future

Toll to build largest express parcel facility in Australia
Posted on Wednesday 3rd, July 2013.
More Sharing ServicesShare | Share on twitter Share on facebook Share on print

New South Wales Premier Barry O'Farrell has visited the new $170 million freight sorting facility for express parcels being built by Toll Group in the west of Sydney. It is the largest freight sorting facility of its kind in Australia, according to Toll.
Toll Group Managing Director, Brian Kruger, joined O'Farrell as he inspected the progress of the development, under construction at the new Bungarribee Industrial Estate in Western Sydney. The 53,305 square metre facility on 18 hectares of land will be used by express road freight business Toll IPEC, as part of its plan to grow the capabilities of its new online parcel delivery service, Toll Consumer Delivery.
“This is one of the largest freight infrastructure projects announced in Sydney in several years,” O’Farrell said. “The investment is a vote of confidence by Toll in the economy of Western Sydney and New South Wales, and is key to consolidating and growing their extensive national distribution network over the next 20 years and beyond. This project will also lead to the creation of jobs during construction and secure jobs in Western Sydney once the project is completed.”
The new facility will increase Toll’s parcel sorting capacity in Sydney more than three-fold to 35,000 parcels per hour. The facility’s environmentally sustainable design includes high-efficiency lighting, rainwater harvesting, and water efficient fixtures and fittings. Construction is expected to be complete by mid-2014.

“Given the expected long-term growth in both our traditional B2B and the online retail parcel markets, it is important we continue to enhance our capabilities,” said Kruger. “Investments like this will help Toll continue to improve its already-extensive national distribution network, making it second to none.”
“Finding land of this size adjacent to major transport routes is increasingly difficult in major cities like Sydney. Our extensive 12-month modelling process that looked at infrastructure and demographic data and projections decided Goodman’s Bungarribee Industrial Estate, with its immediate access to the M7 and M4 motorways and the Great Western Highway was an ideal location to service Sydney and its expanding western suburbs.”

The custom-built facility is said, by Toll, to provide benefits in terms of improving traffic flow and congestion, fleet productivity, staff safety, parcel sorting speed and accuracy, and energy and cost efficiencies.
“Once built, the new facility will enable Toll IPEC to move operations from its current sites in Moorebank, Homebush and Bankstown to a single, purpose-built facility, cementing Toll’s presence in Sydney and allowing for decades of growth in the express parcel delivery market,” said Kruger. “This $170 million development adds to Toll’s recent industry-leading investments over the past few years that includes a $54 million express road freight terminal in Perth, a $39 million facility in Brisbane and a $10 million terminal in Canberra.”

Toll is also investigating similar opportunities in South Australia, and is also looking to grow its capacity in Victoria over the coming years.
Old 19-07-2013, 11:24 AM   #65
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: some conspiracy theorists think Australia is living through a long recession

thread title fixed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin' View Post
I'm a little irritated at the thread title. We are not in a recession, Australia is not doomed and just because factories are shutting down in Victoria does not mean our economy is up the creek.
Some industries boom and some don't. Things might be slowing down a bit but that's just the cycle, it happens. You can't go up and up forever. Australia is pretty resilient, we can and will get through any crisis thrown at us. During the tough times our brightest shine through creating new technologies, products and industries, these take off and before you know it the cycle is back in boom again. Rather than getting all upset about things embrace this new challenge, learn from past mistakes and above all strive for success. I plan on opening a restaurant in a few years time, it won't be easy but I will be spending the next few years doing my research and saving my money so I can realize my dream. Some people tell me not to bother and that I will lose all my money. I don't care, I'm going to take a risk. If no one took risks we would still be cave men.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
This user likes this post:
Old 19-07-2013, 01:28 PM   #66
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_6 View Post
Mechanics jobs on internet are basically ZERO!

Plenty of mechanics jobs in regional QLD as long as you expect "normal" wages not the $LOTS++ that the mines are paying...

Especially diesel/truck mechanics.
2 users like this post:
Old 19-07-2013, 01:37 PM   #67
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6 View Post
tell him to check out bus driving most depots around the country struggle to find drivers. only casual to start with but it's work
He only has MR, he would need to upgrade to HR auto at least and get passenger accreditation before a look in, that's $2k on the off chance.
Old 19-07-2013, 01:53 PM   #68
347 mont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
perhaps Wrongway, but the lima agreement was another nail in the Australian coffin, it won't matter soon anyway, our Australian constitution is now registered in the US(how did that happen?), we are slowly having our rights diminished beneath the our noses, we are becoming a puppet colony of the the UN(new world order), part of that process is to bankrupt the country, aside from gov debt, look at personal debt, look at manufacturing, what is that old saying? heading up **** creek without a paddle?
I agree. I believe whats happenning in US and EU is the deliberate
deindustralization of these economies by the bankers.Its a game of chess for them
and they're playing on the grand chess board

Milk and honey get everyone in debt then slowly dimantal the economy.

There will be no middle class in years to come, just the elite and
working poor.
I kmow a guy who just got a job here in the west after looking for 8months,
though he has a specialty job, elecrronic engineer. Another mate was
working as a courier and wasnt making ends meet. Found himself
out of work for 7 months then has decided to take the plunge and
open a fish and chip shop.I hope it goes well for him.
Thigs are slowing down here in Aus, no denying it. All
former prosperous economies have lost manufacturing and globalization is here. Practically everything is made in slave labour camps in
China, India some S American countries, its a crying shame, especially when there is premeditation for this to happen by the ruling class.

Anyway enough of that...time I take my own advice and put some away for the rainy days.

BTW just look at the for sales forum here...it would seem people can't
shift there goods, time and time again you see posts by
OP reducing there origanal asking price as there are no takers.
Don't flame me brothers just my opinion.Good to see the people of
Egypt, Spain, Greece,Tunisa etc etc have got balls and standing up
to the misjustices they experience, but of course you dont see
to much of it on the controlled prostitute media.
2 users like this post:
Old 19-07-2013, 02:08 PM   #69
347 mont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Double post...bloody smart phones

Last edited by 347 mont; 19-07-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Old 19-07-2013, 04:39 PM   #70
monte.b

I see Detroit has just filled for bankruptcy,seems like everybody with money left town ,the way some councils are behaving around here they might end up in the same boat ,rates here in the bush are a lot more expensive than the gold coast and we get nothing for our money ,our roads are crap and every time it rains we get flooded in .As far as the economy goes i think we are in recession ,in the real world away from 5 star hotels ,most of the hospitality industry only employ casuals that they can send home when they feel like ,and their rate of pay is pretty low too no future there for kids ,thats for sure
3 users like this post:
Old 19-07-2013, 04:53 PM   #71
347 mont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte.b View Post
I see Detroit has just filled for bankruptcy,seems like everybody with money left town ,the way some councils are behaving around here they might end up in the same boat ,rates here in the bush are a lot more expensive than the gold coast and we get nothing for our money ,our roads are crap and every time it rains we get flooded in .As far as the economy goes i think we are in recession ,in the real world away from 5 star hotels ,most of the hospitality industry only employ casuals that they can send home when they feel like ,and their rate of pay is pretty low too no future there for kids ,thats for sure
Oh no! No more tv show pawn stars lol. Thats filmed in Detroit. Man theres some trash on tele.
Yes...not one to be overly pessimistic but the future for
the coming generations is a concern the way things are
going.

Last edited by 347 mont; 19-07-2013 at 05:02 PM.
Old 19-07-2013, 05:14 PM   #72
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: some conspiracy theorists think Australia is living through a long recession

Quote:
thread title fixed
Oh my that IS funny.... And yes I am a conspiracy theorist!
Old 19-07-2013, 05:17 PM   #73
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 347 mont View Post
I agree. I believe whats happenning in US and EU is the deliberate
deindustralization of these economies by the bankers.Its a game of chess for them
and they're playing on the grand chess board

Milk and honey get everyone in debt then slowly dimantal the economy.

There will be no middle class in years to come, just the elite and
working poor.
I kmow a guy who just got a job here in the west after looking for 8months,
though he has a specialty job, elecrronic engineer. Another mate was
working as a courier and wasnt making ends meet. Found himself
out of work for 7 months then has decided to take the plunge and
open a fish and chip shop.I hope it goes well for him.
Thigs are slowing down here in Aus, no denying it. All
former prosperous economies have lost manufacturing and globalization is here. Practically everything is made in slave labour camps in
China, India some S American countries, its a crying shame, especially when there is premeditation for this to happen by the ruling class.

Anyway enough of that...time I take my own advice and put some away for the rainy days.

BTW just look at the for sales forum here...it would seem people can't
shift there goods, time and time again you see posts by
OP reducing there origanal asking price as there are no takers.
Don't flame me brothers just my opinion.Good to see the people of
Egypt, Spain, Greece,Tunisa etc etc have got balls and standing up
to the misjustices they experience, but of course you dont see
to much of it on the controlled prostitute media.
YES, The Elite are playing us all for fools...you are SPOT ON!
Old 20-07-2013, 01:03 AM   #74
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Quote:
thread title fixed
Awesome. Lets ignore reality and just walk around with our heads up our poo holes.
3 users like this post:
Old 20-07-2013, 01:11 AM   #75
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
Plenty of mechanics jobs in regional QLD as long as you expect "normal" wages not the $LOTS++ that the mines are paying...

Especially diesel/truck mechanics.
IT is where the big money and real wages are , very productive for the country that stuff .
had lunch with an IT GUY THE OTHER DAY , from what i saw this guy will never be looking for anything in the mines . LOL
Old 20-07-2013, 01:23 AM   #76
an10as

Quote:
Originally Posted by maty View Post
The transport has been down a bit in sydney. Toll Ipec is planning its new facility which i guess is a show of confidence into he future

Toll to build largest express parcel facility in Australia
Posted on Wednesday 3rd, July 2013.
More Sharing ServicesShare | Share on twitter Share on facebook Share on print

“Given the expected long-term growth in both our traditional B2B and the online retail parcel markets, it is important we continue to enhance our capabilities,” said Kruger.
Toll is also investigating similar opportunities in South Australia, and is also looking to grow its capacity in Victoria over the coming years.
In bold is another reason our own manufacturing and retail sectors are suffering. Toll/Ipec would not be investing this sort of money if they knew the trend of buying or importing online from overseas was not going to continue the way it is.
It's our own fault too this has happened. In our lust to have everything consumable at the cheapest possible price (mostly stuff that depreciates to SFA very rapidly and throw away) we have enarmoured the growing manufacturing nations to answer the demand and take our money.
Old 20-07-2013, 06:04 PM   #77
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

MR is all that is needed for all but tourist coaches , school and route service buses are only 2 axle (except bendy buses) . all he needs is a driver Authority . I am a regular route service driver and only have an MR and I also teach the course required for your driver authority
Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
He only has MR, he would need to upgrade to HR auto at least and get passenger accreditation before a look in, that's $2k on the off chance.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Rides:

Old 20-07-2013, 06:10 PM   #78
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and lets those without the education or knowledge sufficient to know the difference between a recession and the slowing of a booming economy . we are not in a recession but our economy is no longer in an unstainable growth phase. sure you are entitled to an opinion but to avoid egg on your face researching what constitutes a recession would prevent you making comments that may bring your knowledge base and intelligence into question
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
Awesome. Lets ignore reality and just walk around with our heads up our poo holes.

Rides:

Old 21-07-2013, 01:06 PM   #79
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
MR is all that is needed for all but tourist coaches , school and route service buses are only 2 axle (except bendy buses) . all he needs is a driver Authority . I am a regular route service driver and only have an MR and I also teach the course required for your driver authority
Ok, thanks for the info, I will pass that on.

I was going by the info told to me a while ago now when I looked into the industry.
I was told I needed a HR Auto license to drive public transport buses.

I currently have a HR synchro license, what would it cost me to get the driver authority, as driving buses is something I would do myself and could work in with my wifes work commitments and raising our children.
Old 21-07-2013, 08:10 PM   #80
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

$225 I run a course every 4 to 6 weeks depending on demand Plus $100 to transport for the DA and a medical ( if you have a friendly doc he will put it through medicare ;) )

Rides:

Old 22-07-2013, 10:58 AM   #81
Dr Jekkyl

So while the term recession is quite ambiguous and may not translate directly to anything meaningful there is one fact that cannot be ignored.

AUSTRALIA HAS HAD IT TOO GOOD FOR TOO LONG!

Regardless of the terms you use to phrase it the economy is cyclical with upswings and downswings. We have just come through the mother of all upswings and there is a downswing to come. Will this be the mother of all downswings? Very possibly, but the determining factor on how this impacts the community will be the time over which this occurs.

I am guessing it will vary between states and an article that I just read this morning appears to support that.

Get ready WA!
Old 22-07-2013, 11:18 AM   #82
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jekkyl View Post
So while the term recession is quite ambiguous and may not translate directly to anything meaningful there is one fact that cannot be ignored.
The term recession is in no way ambiguous it means 2 consecutive quarters of negative growth ( no grey area there) the only problem is people with little or no knowledge throw the term around when their wifes cousins brother-in-law's best mate went bankrupt ( so obviously we are in a recession)

Rides:

Old 22-07-2013, 08:05 PM   #83
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
The term recession is in no way ambiguous it means 2 consecutive quarters of negative growth ( no grey area there) the only problem is people with little or no knowledge throw the term around when their wifes cousins brother-in-law's best mate went bankrupt ( so obviously we are in a recession)

I agree with your clinical dictionary definition.

Of course we have to factor in the fact that GDP figures can be based on very localised statistics and the forum membership here is diverse.

For example while the nation's GDP still indicates no recession,but the economies of individual states in Australia are a different story.

As an example?

Try getting a job in Hobart....

or try selling a house in Hobart.

Or even...wait for it...try getting a job in Perth? Or Geelong?

Also...we may already be in recession...the announcement is usually retrospective by at least a quarter or two?
Old 22-07-2013, 08:34 PM   #84
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Things are very very bad...I know the issues at work are apparently far greater than anything that happened during the GFC. This election cant come soon enough which is a weak excuse but its holding alot of business up. Anyone who isnt diversifing their portfolio, heavily, is mad or extremely lucky. The next few years will be tough.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 22-07-2013, 08:39 PM   #85
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
Things are very very bad...I know the issues at work are apparently far greater than anything that happened during the GFC. This election cant come soon enough which is a weak excuse but its holding alot of business up. Anyone who isnt diversifing their portfolio, heavily, is mad or extremely lucky. The next few years will be tough.
Diversifying their portfolio?
Some people will be pushing to keep the heater and lights on.
Old 22-07-2013, 08:44 PM   #86
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Yes I know, I was speaking from a corporate POV.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 23-07-2013, 02:01 AM   #87
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I see you know what you are talking about! not ! you are talking about individual states but the term recession does not apply to states only to the nation as a whole.
the problem with scaremongers is that their moronic rants can actually talk the economy down causing economic harm , you get enough negative talk and the market takes notice despite the fact that the talk was started by know nothing fools who's "facts" were not facts at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
I agree with your clinical dictionary definition.

Of course we have to factor in the fact that GDP figures can be based on very localised statistics and the forum membership here is diverse.

For example while the nation's GDP still indicates no recession,but the economies of individual states in Australia are a different story.

As an example?

Try getting a job in Hobart....

or try selling a house in Hobart.

Or even...wait for it...try getting a job in Perth? Or Geelong?

Also...we may already be in recession...the announcement is usually retrospective by at least a quarter or two?

Rides:

Old 23-07-2013, 04:52 AM   #88
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
See, there you go, proof that local businesses ARE doing it hard, straight from the horses mouth! The sooner WE get rid of Labor the better..
Old 23-07-2013, 08:24 AM   #89
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Not that I think polyal is foolish or stupid in anyway but he's not the oracle of truth when it comes to Australia's economy.

Polyal will know what I mean.

It's not going to be booming everywhere in aus all at once; just like it won't be slowing down everywhere at once.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 23-07-2013, 08:24 AM   #90
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_6 View Post
See, there you go, proof that local businesses ARE doing it hard, straight from the horses mouth! The sooner WE get rid of Labor the better..
Why oh why do people not realise that neither politcal party will fix the nation's woes. They both dance to the beat of the same drum!!!

I agree au3xr6, scaremongering can be a cause in and of itself. The problem is, the fundamentals are so messed up, scaremongering in this instance is screaming the bleeding obvious, despite constant reassurance from govco to the contrary.
2 users like this post:
Closed Thread