Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 15-12-2013, 12:17 AM   #61
fte50
T3FTE -099. OnTemp Loan

Default Re: Are we car enthusiasts being weeded out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberKnee View Post
Or just buy an WRX, Evo, Skyline, Mustang etc.

Its funny how so many complain that the Aussie market is over saturated but are now complaining that there's not enough choice...make up your mind people.
None of your above mentioned can be categorised as equal competitors on space & access.

Warning - This users posts are classified (G).

G (General) – Contains material intended for general viewing. The content is very mild in impact.
IT IS STRONGLY ADVISED SENSITIVE ADULTS VIEW IN THE COMPANY OF CHILDREN
2 users like this post:
Old 15-12-2013, 12:19 AM   #62
fte50
T3FTE -099. OnTemp Loan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildrider View Post
what if people don't want a fuel guzzling 4 door overweight taxi??
Go to Harvey Norman and purchase an LG GTI

G (General) – Contains material intended for general viewing. The content is very mild in impact.
This user likes this post:
Old 15-12-2013, 12:19 AM   #63
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There are still plenty of WRX/Skyline import groups around last I heard and there will always be classic car enthusiasts. A matter of fact I think the classic movement is growing.

I hope this thread wasn't created to test the reaction of the forum members, late model Faladores only account for a small number in the enthusiast scene. Also, I hear about people walking past Falcons at car shows because they are as common as dirt there's nothing unique about them - you see them everywhere as taxis.

Last edited by TC200six; 15-12-2013 at 12:30 AM.
Old 15-12-2013, 12:20 AM   #64
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fte50 View Post
None of your above mentioned can be categorised as equal competitors on space & access.
space isn't really an issue when it comes to performance cars anyway. how many people buy FPV or HSV to have as a daily driver to take the kids to school everyday and go to the shops??? I think you would find this number to be very low
Old 15-12-2013, 12:23 AM   #65
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC200six View Post
There are still plenty of WRX/Skyline import groups around last I heard and there will always be classic car enthusiasts. A matter I think the classic movement is growing.

I hope this thread wasn't created to test the reaction of the forum members, late model Faladores only account for a small number in the enthusiast scene. A matter of fact, I hear about people walking past Falcons at car shows because they are as common as dirt there's nothing unique about them - you see them everywhere as taxis.
give the newer ones time and the will like them, I can remember a time when people called XA-XC Falcon ****, look at them now! there popular as!!
Old 15-12-2013, 12:25 AM   #66
UberKnee
The One Who Knocks

Quote:
So we've gone from enthusiast cars to needing as much space as possible? Buy an F Truck then. If the genuine concern here is losing a 'performance' car then why is space such a big issue, and have you ever actually been in a Evo X? Or is this just its not Oistralian and its not as big as a Falcodore so it must be rubbish?

When it comes down to genuine performance Evos/WRXs are superior to Falcodores, and this thread is about performance cars.
3 users like this post:
Old 15-12-2013, 12:30 AM   #67
Struggo

There will always be enthusiasts as most have stated.

However it is with a heavy heart that our great country won't producing anymore home grown talent for home grown enthusiasts. This is the real kick in the guts for me as growing up all I wanted was a Brock SS or a HSV, loved the return of Falcon GT in the early 90's and the renaissance of the Aussie Muscle Car in the late 90's to current day that proved we can take on the world with cars such as HSV GTS, FPV Typhoon and FPV GT-P/RSPEC.
5 users like this post:
Old 15-12-2013, 12:31 AM   #68
stevz
Banned

Quote:
So we've gone from enthusiast cars to needing as much space as possible? Buy an F Truck then. If the genuine concern here is losing a 'performance' car then why is space such a big issue, and have you ever actually been in a Evo X? Or is this just its not Oistralian and its not as big as a Falcodore so it must be rubbish?

When it comes down to genuine performance Evos/WRXs are superior to Falcodores, and this thread is about performance cars.
Because the Falcodore was a perfect all rounder - A performance car, an enthusiasts car, a comfortable touring car, a family car and a daily driver. And to top it off it was Australian made.
Let me see one of your small Jap buzz boxes fulfill all these roles in the same way.
5 users like this post:
Old 15-12-2013, 12:32 AM   #69
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Go to Harvey Norman and purchase an LG GTI
and some people like small phones, why don't you go to a tech museum and see if they'll let you buy an old brick from the 90s??
Old 15-12-2013, 12:34 AM   #70
fte50
T3FTE -099. OnTemp Loan

Quote:
space isn't really an issue when it comes to performance cars anyway.
If it were a sole purpose track car I would somewhat agree, most if not all the enthusiasts I personally know place a big value on space, half the enjoyment/ownership experience comes from shared family time on your Sunday drive etc.

Argue till your red in the face, the enthusiast will always live BUT they will never make a new purchase with the same bang for $$ value and unique RWD sedan layout our locals offered....... funny how the rest of the world love what we have, and some here dismiss them as barges.
What do you think the exotic Euro under 100K is in its own nation ??
And even if it were better, so it ought to be at 2/3rds the price.

5 users like this post:
Old 15-12-2013, 12:35 AM   #71
UberKnee
The One Who Knocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz View Post
Because the Falcodore was a perfect all rounder - A performance car, an enthusiasts car, a comfortable touring car, a family car and a daily driver.
Let me see one of your small Jap buzz boxes fulfill all these roles in the same way.
But as far as just being an enthusiasts car all those extra things aren't needed. A Falcodore is rubbish offroad but I wont use that as an argument against them in regards to performance.

And an Evo X and similar cars do all those things as well. Great performance cars, have a huge aftermarket, car enthusiasts love them,they're comfortable, very daily drivable, can fit a family.

Falcodores aren't some one of a kind only in Australia can we build family cars with performance motors car. They're just another car whose role can be easily filled.
2 users like this post:
Old 15-12-2013, 12:35 AM   #72
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Because the Falcodore was a perfect all rounder - A performance car, an enthusiasts car, a comfortable touring car, a family car and a daily driver. And to top it off it was Australian made.
so your telling me the XF was a perfect performance car??
Old 15-12-2013, 12:40 AM   #73
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
so your telling me the XF was a perfect performance car??
Don't forget all Falcons before the XR in '67.
Old 15-12-2013, 12:42 AM   #74
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If it were a sole purpose track car I would somewhat agree, most if not all the enthusiasts I personally know place a big value on space, half the enjoyment/ownership experience comes from shared family time on your Sunday drive etc.

Argue till your red in the face, the enthusiast will always live BUT they will never make a new purchase with the same bang for $$ value and unique RWD sedan layout our locals offered....... funny how the rest of the world love what we have, and some here dismiss them as barges.
what and I suppose you think the GTS can compete with Euros as well. pffft try and talk up Australian cars as you like. they will NEVER be in the same class... also you notice the massive depreciation on values the locals have?? yea great value for money spend $70 000 on a new FPV and 5 years later the dealer offers you a trade on a new car and only offers you $12,000.. fantastic another reason why people aren't buying them anymore, don't get me wrong I love the falcon but I wish people like you and stevz would stop trying to make them into something there not.. tell a person who buys a new merc or beemer every 3 or so years to buy a GTS, he'll get a kick out it
2 users like this post:
Old 15-12-2013, 12:43 AM   #75
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC200six View Post
Don't forget all Falcons before the XR in '67.
yea that's true. I love the falcons but realistically there are better performance cars out there. I reckon mustang will be good when it gets here!!!
2 users like this post:
Old 15-12-2013, 12:51 AM   #76
stevz
Banned

Quote:
what and I suppose you think the GTS can compete with Euros as well. pffft try and talk up Australian cars as you like. they will NEVER be in the same class... also you notice the massive depreciation on values the locals have?? yea great value for money spend $70 000 on a new FPV and 5 years later the dealer offers you a trade on a new car and only offers you $12,000.. fantastic another reason why people aren't buying them anymore, don't get me wrong I love the falcon but I wish people like you and stevz would stop trying to make them into something there not.. tell a person who buys a new merc or beemer every 3 or so years to buy a GTS, he'll get a kick out it
You really have no clue do you? Why don't you have a look at the depreciation of a high end Euro car, the figures would make your eyes water...
4 users like this post:
Old 15-12-2013, 12:54 AM   #77
UberKnee
The One Who Knocks

Quote:

The true car enthusiast (ie: not a Falcodore or nothing enthusiast) has plenty of options. I like Falcodores for what they are, pretending they are a supercar is silly though. They are just large family runabouts with big motors in them.
Old 15-12-2013, 01:02 AM   #78
UberKnee
The One Who Knocks

Quote:
You really have no clue do you? Why don't you have a look at the depreciation of a high end Euro car, the figures would make your eyes water...
That issue is mostly due the RHD conversion costs. Seeing as how we dont allow new LHD cars zee Germans convert a small number of cars for us, jacking up the price. Even then 2008 AMGs which sold for $130,000 are still fetching $90,000 pricetags now. I wish the depreciation was more severe so they were more affordable. An AMG C63 is a very desirable car, that is the car that Falcodore enthusiasts act like a Falcodore is. But Falcodores really dont fare much better. Falcodore enthusiasts go on about the Euros price/depreciation/servicing costs/etc. but the local offerings depreciate just as badly, can be very expensive to maintain, constantly replacing the same things all with a relatively high pricetag and little features. Its taken till 2013 for Holden or Ford to start offering basic features the rest of the world have been putting in cars for a decade.
Old 15-12-2013, 01:07 AM   #79
fte50
T3FTE -099. OnTemp Loan

Quote:
Talk about being blind .... YES GTS is a 100% worthy Euro competitor and the only class it doesn't score high in comparison is the price class.
Don't confuse dribble as fact - no dealer will offer 12k on a few yrs FPV.

Now lets see depreciation on Euro's -
Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, Alfa Romeo, Range Rover, BMW 7 series, Mercedes S Class ..... do I really need to keep going. Amongst the BIGGEST money pits on 4 wheels, and all cost more and lose more than Falcadore - Surprised?
Oh, and no conversion costs... what a crock of crap as usual.
And for the record I expect the BMW driver to get a kick out of it - he already blew an initial 50+ to begin with .. actually GTS bloke might get a kick out of it hey.

Last edited by fte50; 15-12-2013 at 01:14 AM.
3 users like this post:
Old 15-12-2013, 01:08 AM   #80
fte50
T3FTE -099. OnTemp Loan

Quote:
The true car enthusiast (ie: not a Falcodore or nothing enthusiast) has plenty of options. I like Falcodores for what they are, pretending they are a supercar is silly though. They are just large family runabouts with big motors in them.
Don't ever recall the word supercar being used - Confused I take it - seems whats black is white, and whats green is red. Anything for the sake of debate.

Last edited by fte50; 15-12-2013 at 01:18 AM.
3 users like this post:
Old 15-12-2013, 01:14 AM   #81
UberKnee
The One Who Knocks

Just thought of the car we're all forgetting. Chrysler 300C. $50,000 for a Hemi V8 in a slick package with plenty of gadgets. Whats its problem?
Old 15-12-2013, 01:15 AM   #82
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I never thought Id agree with stevz but here I am doing it. Euro depreciation is as bad as locals in my experience.
But the topic is about the weeding out of car enthusiast. the premise of weeding being a dedicated targeted identification and eradication of a member of society formerly known as an automotive enthusiast. An enthusiast in this instance is the keen appreciator and owner of a Falcon and possible even/or a commodore.
Yes you have caught them Kia embarked on a campaign of anti marketing by slowly releasing chemicals into the traffic via cansisters under their bonnets, where appliance owners would never look. In these canisters a nerve agent was stored, slowly released into the transport network it cleverly reoriented straight men into less straight men who would then abandon the manliness of the falcodore and want to purchase a korean fridge callously disguised as a car. then all of a sudden they will swoop in with more boring I4 models which will appeal to the emancipated Australian man saddened by the demise of the big RWD sedan for reasons they cannot fathom. What Kia didnt factor in was not all Australiahn straight or bent men and women think like stevz and co. our brains aren't hard wired shut and thus the chemicals released by Kias didnt work on us, we still like Euro, sports hatchbacks, US muscle, JDM imports and old falcons...no body likes old commodores do they?

No the other statement id like to make if the enthusiast formerly mentioned bought all those falcons and chores in the past why are there so many crap ones on the road, I see many more worn out mums taxi than proud owners rides. The logic of the original post being enthusiasts only were enthused by the local models yet they let their pride and joy degrade so badly. If thats what an enthusiast is count me out. Im not an enthusiast as I like my cars looking and performing well, not fading, rusting ,parts hanging off, cheap accessories, bodykits, doof doof supercheap stereos, aftermarket 15 inch rims with 70 series tyres and painted brake calipers.
JP
Old 15-12-2013, 01:16 AM   #83
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
blah blah blah cry cry.... Holden shuting down boo hoo, At least them euro car companies don't pretend to be something there not. face it at the end of the day the HSV GTS is just an over glorified Commodore. as a user once said on here a while back.. the GTS sucks!!
Old 15-12-2013, 01:18 AM   #84
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Talk about being blind .... YES GTS is a 100% worthy Euro competitor and the only class it doesn't score high in comparison is the price class.

Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, Alfa Romeo, Range Rover, BMW 7 series, Mercedes S Class ..... do I really need to keep going. Amongst the BIGGEST money pits on 4 wheels, and all cost more and lose more than Falcadore - Surprised?
And for the record I expect the BMW driver to get a kick out of it - he already blew an initial 50+ to begin with .. actually GTS bloke might get a kick out of it hey.
Bahahahahahahaha!!!! yea right. over glorified Holden equals a Mercedes benz. hahahaha. actually no the GTS bloke would get laugh at..
Old 15-12-2013, 01:19 AM   #85
UberKnee
The One Who Knocks

Quote:
Confused I take it - seems whats black is white, and whats green is red.
Come on bro, you're better than that.

Falcodores are just family runabouts, simply put, its the truth, you can wish they were supercars but they aren't.

Quote:

The GTS is nice but the VFs are plaqued with issues due to a small Aussie outfit trying to cram in as much tech as possible. The GTS still uses decade old suspension and wont handle like an M3 no matter how much spin is put on it. Just because they have similair to Porsche/Ferrrari suspension doesnt mean they have a Porsche setup. Its stil lall about the motor with the GTS.
Old 15-12-2013, 01:19 AM   #86
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Just thought of the car we're all forgetting. Chrysler 300C. $50,000 for a Hemi V8 in a slick package with plenty of gadgets. Whats its problem?
because its not a Holden.. anything that not a Holden isn't worthy in eyes of biased Holden supports
Old 15-12-2013, 01:22 AM   #87
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Come on bro, you're better than that.

Falcodores are just family runabouts, simply put, its the truth, you can wish they were supercars but they aren't.

The GTS is nice but the VFs are plaqued with issues due to a small Aussie outfit trying to cram in as much tech as possible. The GTS still uses decade old suspension and wont handle like an M3 no matter how much spin is put on it. Just because they have similair to Porsche/Ferrrari suspension doesnt mean they have a Porsche setup. Its stil lall about the motor with the GTS.

don't tell them that. they'll put Ferrari and Porsche badges on their cars!! Holden is nowhere near the quality of upper market BMWs and Mercs
Old 15-12-2013, 01:24 AM   #88
fte50
T3FTE -099. OnTemp Loan

I think its more to do with looking like being front hit with a Kenworth, whilst having a Western Star falling on top of it.

Old 15-12-2013, 01:25 AM   #89
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Don't ever recall the word supercar being used - Confused I take it - seems whats black is white, and whats green is red. Anything for the sake of debate.
people like you and stevz seem to think they are.. comments such as "the GTS is a worthy "euro" contender and don't forget "front wheel drive" buzzboxes suggest otherwise.
Old 15-12-2013, 01:26 AM   #90
UberKnee
The One Who Knocks

Looks are subjective...hard to call the VF a good looking car for many...
Closed Thread