Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-02-2014, 01:04 PM   #61
HO 3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Xa gt-ho

As I stated before by the time the XY model arrived Ford Au effectively made the HO an option giving it the same common model code as the XY GT rather than having a stand alone different model code for the HO. This effectively turned a corner and made what was stamped on the compliance plate less significant and the sum of special homologation parts fitted by the manufacturer much more important. Rather than a typo Ford Au may have been making this a point by only stamping Falcon GT on the compliance plate of some early HO3 cars! If we carry this logic over to the 3 XA GTHO race cars what is stamped on an ADR compliance plate, it could be Falcon 500 for all I care!, is of little significance.The manufacturers intent, the purpose they were modified for, the special massaging and homologation parts fitted and the sheer weight of documentation should be what identifies these cars as the 3 Factory Works XA GTHO race cars.

Cheers Mick
HO 3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-02-2014, 02:06 PM   #62
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by castellan View Post
Originally the 3 cars were GT then made in to race cars not Phase 4 at all as they are a bit more than just a phase 4.

It's like the Bathurst Monaro that people think is true but the fact is there is no Bathurst monaros ever made by holden ever. only the cars raced at bathurst could be called such in a way.
Bathurst Torana

People get upset but the truth is sometimes hard to swallow and this is the place to debate i would think. some want to fuss and fight but sometimes people like GTPete come along and put light on it. i don't mind the fussing and fighting so much as it shows passion
And what you struggle with is the word provenance, and what those three cars had, they had it in spades

wtf were they if they weren't P4s

boofhead
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-02-2014, 02:16 PM   #63
290GTP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its common knowledge there were 3 prototype Phase 4's & 1 production car made. Why is that so hard to understand?

Mercury Silver 03 BA GT-P Tremec TR3650 Number 534

Herrod 4 into ones, Manta Exhaust, CAI, K&N Filter, Mellings oil pump, 19" FPV alloys, Bilsteins, Kings, tuned by Autotech, 272rwkw

RIP Fish 15/1/73 - 9/2/19
290GTP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 04-02-2014, 02:26 PM   #64
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

anyone else have that picture in their head of Biff knocking on Marty Mcflys noggin????
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-02-2014, 02:55 PM   #65
noflac52
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think its been determined that HO stands for handling options so the race cars just received a higher level of handling options so you are right that doesn't make them HO's it makes them HHHOOO's which is better and they are still GT's so that actually makes them the highest optioned HO's around, and that's the truth!
noflac52 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2014, 03:40 PM   #66
superyob
Banned

Hmmmmm...
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2014, 04:20 PM   #67
zoesgift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 290GTP View Post
Its common knowledge there were 3 prototype Phase 4's & 1 production car made. Why is that so hard to understand?
its only hard for some to understand.......for a long time people believed there was such a thing as a phase 2.5 also....as time goes on the myths swallow the truth. at least we all know now that if either of the red phase fours or prototypes or just xa gt s come up for sale we wont be bidding against castellan as the 2 red cars are not ho s. . if ford says its a phase four but castellan says its not what does one believe?
zoesgift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2014, 05:34 PM   #68
290GTP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, wouldn't own one of those red shitboxes if you paid me. I mean, can you believe it got through Ford QC with a burnt door trim from the freshly welded rollcage.

Like i said shitboxes! Bahahaha

Herrod 4 into ones, Manta Exhaust, CAI, K&N Filter, Mellings oil pump, 19" FPV alloys, Bilsteins, Kings, tuned by Autotech, 272rwkw

2 users like this post:
Old 04-02-2014, 06:03 PM   #69
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That maybe the correct word prototype.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2014, 06:07 PM   #70
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bathurst P4 GT HO to be exact

mr fine spline SLR diff
Old 04-02-2014, 06:08 PM   #71
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoesgift View Post
its only hard for some to understand.......for a long time people believed there was such a thing as a phase 2.5 also....as time goes on the myths swallow the truth. at least we all know now that if either of the red phase fours or prototypes or just xa gt s come up for sale we wont be bidding against castellan as the 2 red cars are not ho s. . if ford says its a phase four but castellan says its not what does one believe?
I thought Ford Australia officially say non are Phase 4
Old 04-02-2014, 06:12 PM   #72
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

now your just trolling

go read some more books bonehead
Old 04-02-2014, 06:14 PM   #73
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post

mr fine spline SLR diff
Are you trying to bag my comments on the truth that LH SLR5000 diff that's real bright. what if i was to say XY GT-HO came with 31 fine spline not 28.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:18 PM   #74
HO 3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That maybe the correct word prototype.

No the correct term is 3 XA GTHO race cars no need for a prototype as the mechanicals were a carry over from the XY..........and 1 higher spec 'Pilot' road car was sent down the production line as a timing test to make sure everything was in place for the run of 200 more HO4 road cars.

Cheers Mick
2 users like this post:
Old 04-02-2014, 06:20 PM   #75
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post

mr fine spline SLR diff
You would not be one of the boofheads that believe in Bathurst monaros would you.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:29 PM   #76
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO 3 View Post
No the correct term is 3 XA GTHO race cars no need for a prototype as the mechanicals were a carry over from the XY..........and 1 higher spec 'Pilot' road car was sent down the production line as a timing test to make sure everything was in place for the run of 200 more HO4 road cars.

Cheers Mick
That could be right.
3 XA GTHO race cars.
I pilot XA GT-HO road car made in the production line.
I would accept that is correct.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:04 PM   #77
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You would not be one of the boofheads that believe in Bathurst monaros would you.
nah, i'm a retard with a fine spline diff
Old 04-02-2014, 09:55 PM   #78
HO 3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That could be right.
3 XA GTHO race cars.
I pilot XA GT-HO road car made in the production line.
I would accept that is correct.

I'm glad we nutted that out

Cheers Mick
Old 04-02-2014, 11:14 PM   #79
Blue Roo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Are you trying to bag my comments on the truth that LH SLR5000 diff that's real bright. what if i was to say XY GT-HO came with 31 fine spline not 28.
Hey Castellan!
The XY GT-HOs only came out with 31 spline if they had 3.5 or 3.89 Diff Gearing. Otherwise it was 28 spline with 3.25 Diff Gears.
Blue Roo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2014, 11:21 PM   #80
Blue Roo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah, wouldn't own one of those red shitboxes if you paid me. I mean, can you believe it got through Ford QC with a burnt door trim from the freshly welded rollcage.

Like i said shitboxes! Bahahaha
If I had a choice between a Phase 4 and new FG GT, I take the Phase 4. Hands down.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:30 PM   #81
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What would they be advertised at a reputable auction?
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2014, 07:04 AM   #82
290GTP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Roo View Post
If I had a choice between a Phase 4 and new FG GT, I take the Phase 4. Hands down.
If i had a choice between a Phase 4 & an average Sydney home i would still take the Phase 4. Hands down.

4 users like this post:
Old 05-02-2014, 10:57 AM   #83
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Roo View Post
Hey Castellan!
The XY GT-HOs only came out with 31 spline if they had 3.5 or 3.89 Diff Gearing. Otherwise it was 28 spline with 3.25 Diff Gears.
True but I thought most had the 3.5 ratio.

As to what i was refering to with all this was the car magazine and to go through that mainly first and for most.

The fact is there was never a XA GT-HO Phase 4 ever sold to the public on page 71 there is a Dealer confidential bulletin saying so.
So we are talking about one pre-production HO. and this was made after the 3 race cars and the 3 GT that had HO parts fitted and some RPO83 with the HO parts fitted to some degree.

So there is only one XA GT-HO ever truely made.
So when Eddy ask's the million dollar question you have to say, only one pre-production in fact.
3 race cars built by ford race division but different spec to the pre-production so called GT-HO, now are this lot of 3, Phase 4 ? The Phase 4 has a diffrent combustion chamber and a tamer cam as Bill Santuccione says so ?
Am i right or am i wrong, that's why after reading the mag is why i ask and i think this would be the best place to ask.
Old 05-02-2014, 02:51 PM   #84
Blue Roo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
True but I thought most had the 3.5 ratio.

As to what i was refering to with all this was the car magazine and to go through that mainly first and for most.

The fact is there was never a XA GT-HO Phase 4 ever sold to the public on page 71 there is a Dealer confidential bulletin saying so.
So we are talking about one pre-production HO. and this was made after the 3 race cars and the 3 GT that had HO parts fitted and some RPO83 with the HO parts fitted to some degree.

So there is only one XA GT-HO ever truely made.
So when Eddy ask's the million dollar question you have to say, only one pre-production in fact.
3 race cars built by ford race division but different spec to the pre-production so called GT-HO, now are this lot of 3, Phase 4 ? The Phase 4 has a diffrent combustion chamber and a tamer cam as Bill Santuccione says so ?
Am i right or am i wrong, that's why after reading the mag is why i ask and i think this would be the best place to ask.
Yes your are correct.
The Phase 4, 4v heads had some machining done to drop the compression down slightly from 11.5 to 11.0 to 1. And the camshaft was slightly different too. These changes and a couple of other mods (Factory Headers, Bigger Sump, Flexi-fan with a Bigger Radiator, and better QC Assembly) made the Phase 4 motor better, flexible and more reliable compared to the Phase 3.
If you read the Phase 4 articles in Street Ford. Roy puts a stock Phase 3 and the Phase 4 motor on the Dyno for a comparison and you will see the difference.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:16 PM   #85
Bossxr8
Peter Car

They machined the combustion chamber to remove any high spots that may have led to pinging, the result of this machining was a slight drop in compression, although the ph4 engine still made a little more power.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2014, 01:47 AM   #86
HO 3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
They machined the combustion chamber to remove any high spots that may have led to pinging, the result of this machining was a slight drop in compression, although the ph4 engine still made a little more power.

The deck height of the CK 617 cylinder heads were a bit thicker which raised the combustion chamber volume slightly and this is what dropped the compression slightly........smoothing of sharp edges is more of a anti pinging thing.

Cheers Mick
2 users like this post:
Old 06-02-2014, 05:31 PM   #87
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Learn something new everyday. Never knew that.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:22 PM   #88
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO 3 View Post
The deck height of the CK 617 cylinder heads were a bit thicker which raised the combustion chamber volume slightly and this is what dropped the compression slightly........smoothing of sharp edges is more of a anti pinging thing.

Cheers Mick
Also this modification on the P4 aids flow around the valve.
Dot heads have as you say raising the cc volume slightly.
The P4 motor could run a 3.0 diff so she with this cam must be so much better down low performance.
It does not say what the cam spec is, maybe it's one of the USA BOSS or HO spec.
We had our own aussie spec in the Phase 2 and phase 3. P2 being the biggest then ford tamed it down a bit with the P3 and again with the P4 and it goes to show that it's not only the size of the cam that makes it perform better.

The mag also goes on about the P4 blowing away of a P3 in top end and he did that in 3rd gear, haha ! but he does not say what diff ratio the P3 was running maybe 4.11 diff for all we know haha ! just had to point that out as well as some people can be misled in understanding.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:44 PM   #89
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Aerodynamics would have ensured the XA comfortably outrun the XY, the faster they went they further ahead the XA would have got. It was much more aerodynamic.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:23 PM   #90
HO 3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Also this modification on the P4 aids flow around the valve.
Dot heads have as you say raising the cc volume slightly.
The P4 motor could run a 3.0 diff so she with this cam must be so much better down low performance.
It does not say what the cam spec is, maybe it's one of the USA BOSS or HO spec.
We had our own aussie spec in the Phase 2 and phase 3. P2 being the biggest then ford tamed it down a bit with the P3 and again with the P4 and it goes to show that it's not only the size of the cam that makes it perform better.

The mag also goes on about the P4 blowing away of a P3 in top end and he did that in 3rd gear, haha ! but he does not say what diff ratio the P3 was running maybe 4.11 diff for all we know haha ! just had to point that out as well as some people can be misled in understanding.

Your camshaft info is rubbish..........both the HO2 and HO3 ran the same DIZX-AA 494 th lift camshaft.........the HO3 also had an optional larger 524 th lift camshaft option........logic would assume the same DIZX-AA camshaft would of been originally used in the HO4 also.

Cheers Mick