Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-10-2014, 03:37 AM   #61
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Hilux Black.

A good way for Toyota to move some of these over priced relics.

A work mate picked his up early last month, paid near on $60k for it including spotties, ARB bar and winch. Dealer laughing all the way to the bank. So was the other workmate who spent under $30k on a Great Wall (plus balaclava).
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2014, 08:27 AM   #62
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPSI View Post
Yeah. That would be nice.
A V8 diesel like the TOYOTA landcruiser.
I wasn't talking diesel and I also meant in a decent dual cab, but if a prehistoric Landcruiser with the same power as all the 4 cyl diesels around floats your boat then go for it.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2014, 09:58 AM   #63
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
A good way for Toyota to move some of these over priced relics.

A work mate picked his up early last month, paid near on $60k for it including spotties, ARB bar and winch. Dealer laughing all the way to the bank. So was the other workmate who spent under $30k on a Great Wall (plus balaclava).
I imagine its a work vehicle purchase, adding on aftermarket items via the dealer gets over priced but I'm sure that was taken into account - if so avoiding FBT and returns over the lease period. SR5 with the fruit ?
When I looked at Ranger XLT by the time I added hardlid,rubber mats front rear and above ute liner, nudge bar, side skirts, I shat myself.

Some of you shouldn't be so one eyed - fact of the matter is relic/dinausor or not or Navara,Triton they all still do the job, get you from A to B nothing more nothing less - all comes down to value for money and what your happy to pay or your company.
I also chose a SR5 with all the fruit and she does the job accordingly, finish and quality is as expected, sound and reliable thats what everyone really wants for a workhorse be it any brand, just some do it better than others....

Re V8's - bet some making comments have never really driven around in a Landcruiser big mother diesel or a Y62 V8 Patrol.
I have had the pleasure a number of times - over weekends via clients, bloody awesum 4x4 machines - impressed by both though the Cruiser's fuel economy is high LOL......couldn't believe the torque the Patrol had.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-10-2014, 10:19 AM   #64
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Are you talking about 70 series Cruisers since that is what GSPSI was talking about and I responded to? Obviously you aren't with the Y62. Yes I have had the displeasure of experiencing a 70 series single cab and also a 70 series 4dr wagon. It was a step back into the 80's. They are terrible in my opinion - and that is coming from a farmer. I will take a new generation dual cab any day over Cruiser ute.

Last edited by naddis01; 08-10-2014 at 10:26 AM.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:07 AM   #65
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
Are you talking about 70 series Cruisers since that is what GSPSI was talking about and I responded to? Obviously you aren't with the Y62. Yes I have had the displeasure of experiencing a 70 series single cab and also a 70 series 4dr wagon. It was a step back into the 80's. They are terrible in my opinion - and that is coming from a farmer. I will take a new generation dual cab any day over Cruiser ute.
A lot of people buy these because of their tow rating. And their ability to tow 3500kg easily, a lot easier than other utes on the market that 'claim' to be able to.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:36 AM   #66
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Interesting. Can you please explain why a 2.1t 151kw 430nm Landcruiser ute is so much better at towing than a 2.1t 147kw 470Nm Ranger or a 2t 147kw 500nm Colorado?

By the way, they are still terrible but we are getting way off track now.

Last edited by naddis01; 08-10-2014 at 11:52 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-10-2014, 12:22 PM   #67
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Interesting. Can you please explain why a 2.1t 151kw 430nm Landcruiser ute is so much better at towing than a 2.1t 147kw 470Nm Ranger or a 2t 147kw 500nm Colorado?

By the way, they are still terrible but we are getting way off track now.
If you describe how it tows better. Does it pull harder? That could be because of peak torque at a lower rpm and numerically higher gearing. Is it more stable at towing? That usually comes from having a longer wheelbase and a wider track.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2014, 12:29 PM   #68
GSPSI
Calipso Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
I imagine its a work vehicle purchase, adding on aftermarket items via the dealer gets over priced but I'm sure that was taken into account - if so avoiding FBT and returns over the lease period. SR5 with the fruit ?
When I looked at Ranger XLT by the time I added hardlid,rubber mats front rear and above ute liner, nudge bar, side skirts, I shat myself.

Some of you shouldn't be so one eyed - fact of the matter is relic/dinausor or not or Navara,Triton they all still do the job, get you from A to B nothing more nothing less - all comes down to value for money and what your happy to pay or your company.
I also chose a SR5 with all the fruit and she does the job accordingly, finish and quality is as expected, sound and reliable thats what everyone really wants for a workhorse be it any brand, just some do it better than others....

Re V8's - bet some making comments have never really driven around in a Landcruiser big mother diesel or a Y62 V8 Patrol.
I have had the pleasure a number of times - over weekends via clients, bloody awesum 4x4 machines - impressed by both though the Cruiser's fuel economy is high LOL......couldn't believe the torque the Patrol had.
Best post in 4 pages of one eyed ranger talk.
Well done bud. High five!

pǝɹoq ʎɐʍ ǝq ʇsnɯ noʎ 'sıɥʇ ƃuıpɐǝɹ ǝɹ,noʎ ɟı
GSPSI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2014, 12:42 PM   #69
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower View Post
If you describe how it tows better. Does it pull harder? That could be because of peak torque at a lower rpm and numerically higher gearing. Is it more stable at towing? That usually comes from having a longer wheelbase and a wider track.
Ranger (I am guessing the Colorado would be similar) has a longer wheel base and wider track than the Landcruiser Ute.
Landcruiser has less torque but starts at a slightly lower rpm and covers a wider range.

If I was to get a V8 diesel, I'd want a decent one, like in the 200 series.
650nm and 195kws, that's more like it. Some owners say that those engines use almost as much engine oil as diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPSI View Post
Best post in 4 pages of one eyed ranger talk.
Well done bud. High five!
You really like that term "one eyed" don't you. You were accusing people of being one eyed from the 8th post in this thread even though the people who posted before you basically said they prefer a Ranger over a Hilux.

Firstly that is not the definition of "one eyed". Secondly this is a Ford forum so many people will probably prefer a Ford. But that doesn't mean they only like Ford and dismiss every other manufacturer. Most people here do appreciate other cars that are not Fords, but that doesn't mean we should all bow down to the Hilux because they put a few little dressy bits on an 8 year old design and called it a new special edition.

From my personal experience of driving a current Ranger and a current Hilux few thousand Kms each, I much prefer the Ranger based on several points I have made made in this thread and a previous thread about a similar topic.
Myself and most posters here haven't said a single thing about any other ute apart from the 2 being discussed here. So hardly much evidence of being 'one eyed fan'

Last edited by Ben73; 08-10-2014 at 01:09 PM.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-10-2014, 01:09 PM   #70
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Ranger (I am guessing the Colorado would be similar) has a longer wheel base and wider track than the Landcruiser Ute.
Landcruiser has less torque but starts at a slightly lower rpm and covers a wider range.

650nm and 195kws, that's more like it. Some owners say that those engines use almost as much engine oil as diesel.
Yeah I took a 70 series V8 diesel for a spin back in 2007. Honestly wasn't impressed, other than the fact it was a rugged vehicle. Power and torque were very disappointing. Spoiled with options over here though. One can only hope Ford brings the F250 back to Australia, though Performax prices don't seem too unreasonable. I have read reports that the Nissan Patrol will be getting the 5.0L V8 Cummins diesel with about 220kw/750Nm. I think the Titan with the same engine would do very well in Australia.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:02 PM   #71
GSPSI
Calipso Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post

You really like that term "one eyed" don't you. You were accusing people of being one eyed from the 8th post in this thread even though the people who posted before you basically said they prefer a Ranger over a Hilux.

Firstly that is not the definition of "one eyed". Secondly this is a Ford forum so many people will probably prefer a Ford. But that doesn't mean they only like Ford and dismiss every other manufacturer. Most people here do appreciate other cars that are not Fords, but that doesn't mean we should all bow down to the Hilux because they put a few little dressy bits on an 8 year old design and called it a new special edition.

From my personal experience of driving a current Ranger and a current Hilux few thousand Kms each, I much prefer the Ranger based on several points I have made made in this thread and a previous thread about a similar topic.
Myself and most posters here haven't said a single thing about any other ute apart from the 2 being discussed here. So hardly much evidence of being 'one eyed fan'

Guys, don't worry his my housemate. He's just having a rough day.
Buy milk and bread on your way home.

pǝɹoq ʎɐʍ ǝq ʇsnɯ noʎ 'sıɥʇ ƃuıpɐǝɹ ǝɹ,noʎ ɟı
GSPSI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-10-2014, 04:58 PM   #72
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post

Pickup 4×2 Segment Winners
Toyota Hilux 4×2 (1,035 - 29.4%)
Ford Ranger 4×2 (512 – 14.5%)
Mazda BT-50 4×2 (430 – 12.2%)

Pickup 4×4 Segment Winners
Toyota Hilux 4×4 (2,395 – 20.9%)
Ford Ranger (1,934 – 16.9%)
Mitsubishi Triton 4×4 (1,662 – 14.5%)

YTD figures, it's almost 2:1 in favour of the hilux
to be fair - the Ranger sales are limited by what is available to be imported due to contractual obligations with AAT, and not by local demand.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2014, 06:50 PM   #73
Luke G
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower View Post
Yeah I took a 70 series V8 diesel for a spin back in 2007. Honestly wasn't impressed, other than the fact it was a rugged vehicle. Power and torque were very disappointing. Spoiled with options over here though. One can only hope Ford brings the F250 back to Australia, though Performax prices don't seem too unreasonable. I have read reports that the Nissan Patrol will be getting the 5.0L V8 Cummins diesel with about 220kw/750Nm. I think the Titan with the same engine would do very well in Australia.

Im sure most of you guys are aware, but with a tune and exhaust the 4.5 single turbo pumps out a reliable 200+kw at the wheels and gobs of torque. They aren't for everyone but they are workhorses!
Luke G is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2014, 11:29 PM   #74
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke G View Post
Im sure most of you guys are aware, but with a tune and exhaust the 4.5 single turbo pumps out a reliable 200+kw at the wheels and gobs of torque. They aren't for everyone but they are workhorses!
I was watching a YouTube video the other day were they tuned one with exhaust and it only made 130rwkw so I don't know. I'll have to check out some more
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2014, 11:40 PM   #75
herbicide

Nissan will never put the V8 Cummins in Aussie market Patrols, we're not a big enough market to justify it. They'll only give us the very thirsty petrol donk in the new wagon while the GU is saddled with the POS ZD 30 until they stop selling them. As for a new IFS fourby ute, I'd get a DMax, bulletproof yet still pretty comfy, or maybe the BT50. Can't justify the Ranger considering how expensive they are.
herbicide is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2014, 11:41 PM   #76
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Don't think anyone would deny they're a torque monster though and lazy....benefit of good old cubes.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2014, 12:04 AM   #77
nstg8a

I think I'd rather have one of the older supercharged trd hilux's
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2014, 01:28 AM   #78
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Yes I wasn't commenting on GSPSI's comments just in general but while I'm at it will respond to your comments.
70 series is just that - a workhorse nothing more, they know from feedback thats what a % of customers want/ed, no frill buck like a horse when unladen workhorse so ofcourse they are like living in the 80's, sales reflect otherwise.
Your opinion is fine and infact I agree I wouldn't want to own one but many other farmers/miners/regional councils/govco buy for the purpose not the ride or otherwise, otherwise they'd be in what you prefer new gen dual cab.

herbicide your right re current Patrol - Nissan made the decision and have left the diesel market to the Toy company, Middle east is their big pool, were a pin head in sales and to invest here fighting Toy trying to change buyer pref just isn't worth it, smart decision tbh.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2014, 02:19 AM   #79
herbicide

As for the 70 series, I have a 2011 76 series wagon. It's a bloody good thing for 4wding in rough country, but as a daily driver it gets tiresome. I have a love/hate relationship with mine, hopefully soon I can get myself back into a Falcon as a daily and keep the Çruiser purely for bush work.
herbicide is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2014, 02:21 AM   #80
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Word was that Nissan Australia had to fund the RHD engineering of the Y62 Patrol, because Nissan HQ didnt want anything to do with it.
They obviously had no interest in engineering a diesel for it either.
Im fairly sure there are still ones from the original shipment still sitting on dealer lots.
Y61 will be dead at the end of the year, so after that they'll have no diesel wagons left apart from an Xtrail.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2014, 09:30 AM   #81
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post
Word was that Nissan Australia had to fund the RHD engineering of the Y62 Patrol, because Nissan HQ didnt want anything to do with it.
They obviously had no interest in engineering a diesel for it either.
Im fairly sure there are still ones from the original shipment still sitting on dealer lots.
Y61 will be dead at the end of the year, so after that they'll have no diesel wagons left apart from an Xtrail.
Nissan will have a 4WD wagon based on new Navara . Similar to Everest, MU-X or Holden Colorado 7. Used to be called Pathfinder in the past but they will have to come up with a new name as Pathy has gone SUV...
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2014, 10:38 AM   #82
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
to be fair - the Ranger sales are limited by what is available to be imported due to contractual obligations with AAT, and not by local demand.

...and there is the problem!
How many folk can afford to wait, or want to wait, the weeks or months for a Ranger to turn up?
I wanted one but there was no way I was going to wait the 4 months they told me. I walked over the road and bought a Hilux with similar fruit to what I wanted that day!
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-10-2014, 10:55 AM   #83
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Saw two today on a truck. They Look cheap. Looks like it's a cheap aftermarket body kit
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2014, 11:47 AM   #84
Luke G
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon SXR8 View Post
I was watching a YouTube video the other day were they tuned one with exhaust and it only made 130rwkw so I don't know. I'll have to check out some more

Theres lots of good info on the LCOOL forum. Gturbo company. They also sort out the hilux with great results!
Luke G is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2014, 03:48 PM   #85
Bossxr8
Peter Car

The cruiser utes will be dead soon too. They cannot/will not get it to pass future safety regs so it won't be replaced.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2014, 05:38 PM   #86
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
The cruiser utes will be dead soon too. They cannot/will not get it to pass future safety regs so it won't be replaced.
That's why the mines are moving away from them isn't it?
without those contracts their sales would plummet
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2014, 05:47 PM   #87
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Alot of mines/companies require auto transmissions for starters, so that eliminates the LC70 straight away.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2014, 08:14 PM   #88
wranger

The 5.0 Coyote slots right into the Dakar spec Ranger, so with any luck Ford will see sense and put it into production.

That said, the 5 cylinder with a Twin turbo System, Intercooler, injectors, and some ecu tweaks was good for 240kW/750nM at the bloody wheels during testing, so I reckon next years facelift will see some Engine tweaks to take it back above whatever Toyota manage to spit out with the new hilux.
wranger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2014, 08:32 PM   #89
Fab
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I prefer to have this one from BTTF.

Fab is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2014, 08:56 PM   #90
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab View Post
I prefer to have this one from BTTF.

You won't find a better car with a better price with better service anywhere in Hill Valley.