Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-08-2015, 03:30 PM   #61
superyob
Banned

Default Re: Why are Fairlanes cheaper than Falcons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
I reckon the BA/BF Fairlane/LTD was, it just looked like a stretched taxi.

The AU was the best looking Fairlane IMO.
How dare you not put a ZD or H at the top of your Fairlane tree!!! I'll pretend I did not see that...
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-08-2015, 03:37 PM   #62
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his contributions to the forum, especially showcased with his highly detailed AU build threads. He is a fountain of AU knowledge. 

The NL 5.0 i had was a great car, so comfortable and roomy and was also powerful enough for a daily, it was also economical being on LPG and ran faultlessly on both fuels. When i was looking for it, i always wondered why NLs were so much cheaper than EL Ghias also, i found it strange and bought the NL because the value for money proposition was too good.

I recently got hold of this poor old girl, it is in very good nick, and I actually thought about repairing it and keeping it but upon inspection the damage is too great, a real shame because it seems it used to be someone's pride and joy.

PridenJoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2015, 07:17 PM   #63
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized View Post
Oh yeah of course, the BA/BF version shared the Falcons headlights and tail lights. They'd completely given up by that stage though, and it showed.
No.
$500 million on the BA Falcon sedan/wagon/ute and $500 million on the segment busting Territory left very little over for the Fairlane/LTD.

If Ford had spent the Territory's budget on the Fairlane they would have shut the factory down before the 2008 FG. As much as I love the Fairlane, diverting development dollars towards Territory was a much better decision than designing new head and tail lamps for a product competing in a dead segment of the market.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2015, 07:28 PM   #64
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
No.
$500 million on the BA Falcon sedan/wagon/ute and $500 million on the segment busting Territory left very little over for the Fairlane/LTD.

If Ford had spent the Territory's budget on the Fairlane they would have shut the factory down before the 2008 FG. As much as I love the Fairlane, diverting development dollars towards Territory was a much better decision than designing new head and tail lamps for a product competing in a dead segment of the market.
So what do you think killed the Fairlane? (besides the obvious lack of sales)...
Old 17-08-2015, 07:29 PM   #65
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
No.

Given up on the Fairlane and LTD I meant, and as you've pointed out for good reasons.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2015, 08:45 PM   #66
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
So what do you think killed the Fairlane? (besides the obvious lack of sales)...
The rise of the SUV.

The reduction in tariffs and more competitive pricing making "status" cars from Benz/BMW/Audi available in the Fairlane price bracket (ie "why get a Ford or Holden when I can park a BMW in the drive")

Plus the other factors that contributed to the decline of the whole local industry.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2015, 10:05 PM   #67
Gothefalcon
FAWD - No Boundaries
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: He takes long trips in his AWD Falcon & where ever he goes he sets out to meet forum members at various destinations. He does this without expectation of any sort. I have had the pleasure of spending time with Dhru on two of his separate trips and his gre Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The excellent write ups in your BF AWD Falcon Wagon thread 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
My opinion only... but I reckon the slow decline started with cars like the XC Fairmont GXL. The GXL 351 was all but a GT (on paper), disguised as executive transport (instead of a "hoon mobile"). Offered also in 6cyl and 302... it allowed the now "Baby Boomer" executives to have a slightly "sportier" yet still luxurious executive type car, which still presented well at work (& at the golf club )
This morphed into the XD/E Fairmont Ghia... which then morphed into the XF Fairmont Ghia.... by which time, it was all but a SWB version of the Fairlane/LTD, with pretty much the same appointments, dash, "status", etc... just in SWB form.
Then the Fairmont Ghia pretty much stayed a SWB version of the Fairlane/LTD until the end of all 3 !

Agree also that new offerings from the other luxo-brands made an impact too... but you don't get a similar sized BMW, Audi, Merc for Fairlane/LTD money... you might get a "Fairmont Ghia sized" or "SWB" version though... and that's OK... coz the Fairlane/LTD's of this world are no longer the status symbols they used to be !

There are other factors too, like average fuel costs rising etc... it's never just one thing !

D

22 DJR Shell V-Power Mustang Eskymobile (my first EV)
07 BF2 AWD Falcon Wagon (Daily driver)
04 BA Falcon 1Tonner Ute (New Project)
03 BA Falcon Wagon (Spare)
98 NL Fairlane Ghia V8 (Weekend cruiser)
70 VG paddock racer (Cain it til it breaks.. fix it.. Cain it all over again !)
Gothefalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-08-2015, 10:44 PM   #68
T-Pak Addict
Jim

Dhru I think you raise a good point.... You can get all the fruit in a fairmont Ghia without the extra weight..... A Fairmont Ghia XF had exactly the same options as the ZL Fairlane and you could get a manual as well in the XF

The Old Daily.......2003 Octane BA Taxi Pak Egas Falcon Build Thread
T-Pak Addict is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2015, 10:52 PM   #69
Gothefalcon
FAWD - No Boundaries
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: He takes long trips in his AWD Falcon & where ever he goes he sets out to meet forum members at various destinations. He does this without expectation of any sort. I have had the pleasure of spending time with Dhru on two of his separate trips and his gre Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The excellent write ups in your BF AWD Falcon Wagon thread 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Pak Addict View Post
Dhru I think you raise a good point.... You can get all the fruit in a fairmont Ghia without the extra weight..... A Fairmont Ghia XF had exactly the same options as the ZL Fairlane and you could get a manual as well in the XF
Wasn't aware that a manual was an option on the XF Ghia Jim... I thought the EA Ghia was the only one !?? (not counting the earlier ESP's)

D

22 DJR Shell V-Power Mustang Eskymobile (my first EV)
07 BF2 AWD Falcon Wagon (Daily driver)
04 BA Falcon 1Tonner Ute (New Project)
03 BA Falcon Wagon (Spare)
98 NL Fairlane Ghia V8 (Weekend cruiser)
70 VG paddock racer (Cain it til it breaks.. fix it.. Cain it all over again !)
Gothefalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2015, 11:00 PM   #70
apolloxbgt
cross breeder

You could still get a manual ghia right up to eb.
Old 17-08-2015, 11:46 PM   #71
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't think increasing equipment levels in the short wheel base models has much to do with it. I'm not sure about ZH and before, but wasn't the Fairlane 500 always a pretty basic car? There was always a more luxurious model available in SWB. Then the ZJ, ZK, ZL, NA, and NC Fairlanes were all based on Fairmont spec. The seat and door trim on these models is identical to the equivalent Fairmont, although the Fairlane always did have a few more features - high series dash, electrics etc. So the Fairlane was positioned as a semi-luxury car with the extra space of the LWB. The Fairmont Ghia was a step up in terms of luxury features, and then there was the LTD at the top with all the fruit and the LWB.

Then for the NC model the Fairlane Ghia was introduced, which sold alongside regular Fairlane, which had steel wheels, budget cloth interior etc - was very low rent and sold very few it would seem as you never saw them around and was eventually dropped during the NC model run. (IIRC)
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2015, 12:29 AM   #72
ZGM86

I'm a little late to the party with this thread, I was following this thread when it was active but it's taken until now for me to put forward my 2c worth! This is definitely an area that is important to me.

I've always been a huge fan of the LWB Fords. Besides my 2 ZGs, I've also had a DAII LTD as a daily driver 5 years ago which was hands-down the most comfortable car I've owned or driven.

I think the reason the Fairlanes and LTDs have a lower dollar value compared to their Falcon equivalent has already been covered adequately in this thread - they (Falcons) just have more desirability due to being more well known and having more race heritage. The flipside to that is that you can always get a much better deal on a Fairlane or LTD, and you get way more car & features for your money.

Personally, I just love their style. They're big and cruisy, and have all of the benefits of an equivalent Falcon and then some. I've never really understood why they weren't more popular (must be to do with grandpa image that they have with some people). When I found my first ZG, I was originally looking for an XB, my favourite Falcon. I found the ZG and it ticked all my boxes - it was a good looking Australian made 70s Ford with a V8 and quad headlights and that gorgeous wraparound dashboard that looked close enough to an XB...I was sold!

Quote:
I don't think increasing equipment levels in the short wheel base models has much to do with it. I'm not sure about ZH and before, but wasn't the Fairlane 500 always a pretty basic car? There was always a more luxurious model available in SWB. Then the ZJ, ZK, ZL, NA, and NC Fairlanes were all based on Fairmont spec
You're right about the later Fairlanes (Fairlane badged only from ZJ onwards) being the same spec as Fairmonts, but the ZH was the only Fairlane 500 that was an entry-level model. Pre-ZH, the base model Fairlane was the Fairlane Custom, which was a 6 cylinder model with bench seats and no options. The Fairlane 500 was the upmarket model, with features like a 302, bucket seats, power steering, and air con as factory standard (both of my ZG 500s had these options). The only way to get something better-equipped was an LTD.

When the ZH arrived, they made the Fairlane 500 the base model (but it was still 302 as standard, there were no 6 cylinder ZH Fairlanes) and the Fairlane Marquis became the luxury model. Once the ZJ arrived, everthing changed again and the 'Fairlane' became a stand-alone model - you'd again have to step up to an LTD to get a more luxurious model.
1978 TE Cortina GL wagon
1955 FJ Holden Special

Car History: 1974 ZG Fairlane 500, 1973 ZG Fairlane 500, 07 SY Territory TX, 1975 Ford F100, 2001 AU2 Falcon XR8 220, 2005 BA RTV, 1997 EL Falcon XR6, 1981 WB Holden pano, 1990 DA LTD, 1992 EB Falcon GLi wagon, 1984 XF Falcon GL wagon, 1976 TD Cortina XL wagon, 1974 TC Cortina XL sedan
ZGM86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2015, 05:10 AM   #73
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The NL though... that was clearly the lowest point in the Fairlane/LTD's styling history. Shared headlights with a Falcon GLi Look at that pic posted by Gothefalcon - you gotta look real close to figure out if it's a Fairmont or a Fairlane. From the front you just cant tell. I think that was ultimately what brought on the Fairlanes death. (would have happened eventually no matter what of course) The AU vintage looked completely different to a Falcon, but by that point the damage had been done.
But see its all a matter of personal taste.
I personally think the NL/DL is the best looking LWB of the modern era.
To me the AU Lane looks like what you'd get if you made a doughnut in the shape of a car.
Old 17-10-2015, 01:12 PM   #74
robertjp

The NU fairlane was horrible to look at compared to the Statesman of the same era, the market moved on yet Ford didn't. If the AU hadn't fallen so bad who knows what might have been.....

Drove a BF Fairlane and was amazed at it's ecconomy and roominess, but by that stage the public did not care, pity. The only gripe was that is was (6cyl) underpowered, why did they not put the turbo u\in beats me.
robertjp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2015, 04:39 PM   #75
malazn mafia
Boss 335

On a similar note, why is an early Hyundai Excel or Kia Festiva worth more than a Falcon of similar year??
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2015, 05:39 PM   #76
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Beacuse that's the Divine Being's way of skewing 2nd hand prices to favour Falcon fans
Old 17-10-2015, 05:47 PM   #77
superyob
Banned

Quote:
The NL though... that was clearly the lowest point in the Fairlane/LTD's styling history. Shared headlights with a Falcon GLi Look at that pic posted by Gothefalcon - you gotta look real close to figure out if it's a Fairmont or a Fairlane. From the front you just cant tell. I think that was ultimately what brought on the Fairlanes death. (would have happened eventually no matter what of course) The AU vintage looked completely different to a Falcon, but by that point the damage had been done.
That was the same criticism levelled at the ZF/ZG Fairlanes, that they looked just like a stretched Falcon. I always thought they looked awesome compared to the Falcon...
Old 17-10-2015, 05:56 PM   #78
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
On a similar note, why is an early Hyundai Excel or Kia Festiva worth more than a Falcon of similar year??
Because fuel is up to a buck fifty a litre?

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 17-10-2015, 06:42 PM   #79
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i know its no real input to this thread but all i got to say is ive always loved my zh with all its trimmings and most people cant see why

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-10-2015, 06:59 PM   #80
superyob
Banned

I understand your ailment wodahs...
Old 17-10-2015, 08:19 PM   #81
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodahs View Post
i know its no real input to this thread but all i got to say is ive always loved my zh with all its trimmings and most people cant see why
I have always like the ZH and P6. Because firstly they look good, and secondly they don't look anything like the Falcons, and there is also significant variation between the Lane and the LTD.
4 users like this post:
Old 06-04-2016, 10:20 PM   #82
Swordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothefalcon View Post
I believe it's mainly down to perception. And a lot of that perception was placed in the minds of the general buying public by FoMoCo (& GMH for the Statey etc) when they pitched the Fairlane at the executive as a symbol of status/success etc.
As a lot of high level execs were also people that had worked their way up through the ranks (maybe more so, back in the day)... they were the "older gent'... and had to drive something which reflected their achievements and responsibilities. etc. etc.... and thus... the general perception was that cars like the Fairlane were "Old Man's cars" ! Big barges... heavy... thirsty... expensive (to buy and own).

Later... when they are a few years older... and sit in the car yard at prices similar to Falcon's etc... the perception is that it must be clapped out, requiring expensive repairs (why else would such a big expensive car be so cheap !?? etc.)... and are still passed off as an "Old Man's barge".

I've owned heaps of big Fords in the last 34yrs... and only one of them has been a SWB Falcon. and although I loved my first XB Sedan... it wasn't because it was a SWB model ! After that... they were all LWB models (Wagon, Ute, Fairlane... 250, 2v250, 302, 351, Auto, Manual) and I realised the cost of ownership had little to do with the extra length.... or even the extra weight... but more to do with how you drove.... and the condition you kept the vehicle in.

I got my first Fairlane (a ZF 302) when I was 21... My second (a ZG 351) when I was 24... and my current (an NL 5.0) when I was 34... and I've been paid out by all and sundry for driving an "Old Man's car"... even to this time in my life when I'm about to graduate to "official" old man status (I turn 50 in about a month )... but my mates also grew to love the Lanes as we cruised around in them, with room to spare... and they stopped thinking of them so much as Old Man's cars... when the ZG's 351 would blow most others away... or a quick fang through the Hills in the NL would leave most other "average" cars of that era for dead ! (it's not all about 'speed"... it's more about flow & pace )

The NL is mainly used for the Sunday pub run now... and weekend cruises through the Adelaide Hills on lovely sunny days. It may not have all the "gadgets" of the modern cars... but it still holds it's own as a comfortable, luxury car... and although the little winger 5.0 is not the most powerful V8 out there (admittedly, by a long shot)... it's effortless torque through the mid range is still smooth and addictive.

A 98 NL Ghia 5.0 may only be valued at about 8% of it's original market value now... but I'll be holding onto mine... and keeping it in great condition... and one day, it's relative value will be realised once again. (understood that could take another 15-20yrs )

BTW... I'll still be driving my LWB Falcon Wagon then too

D
NL 5.0 is really nice car. Had a drive of one when they were new. Smooth motor.
Swordie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2016, 10:24 PM   #83
Swordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Pak Addict View Post
Couldnt afford much myself, so got myself a ZL Fairlaine as a weekend cruiser, all I did was dump it and chuck some wheels on,,,, Had a lot of nice drives in it last year clocking up 5,000 kays in 4 months. Doing a little body work on it over winter but cant wait to get in and take her out again....

Cool car.
Swordie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post