Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 05-03-2012, 12:36 AM   #871
LyleXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Who works in the mines and what doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb2fairmont
Aint that the truth. I swear i hear that on the two way at least 2-3 times a day.
Not on ours, we have a separate maintenance channel for aircon breakdowns but ours are pretty good, reliability on new CAT F trucks, dozers and graders keeps that channel burning!! And I'm sure every site has there own on site Highway Patrol! We've got the sheriff, Tom Croydon, Mr Plod and the lollipop lady keeping everyone in line, most people want to put them 500m down the hole daily!!
LyleXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2012, 01:38 AM   #872
goodpawn
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossy
PM sent
Check email my post count not high enough to PM
goodpawn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2012, 01:57 AM   #873
ROBBO1981

i loved the $2000 a week pay checks. lived hard played hard. own my car and other things i bought, going back to $800 pw per week pay checks was a huge shock to the system. Im glad i listened to my family and saved what i could.

reality jobs were you earn low money are just bread an butter to get you through. Go to the mines with a well thought out plan.

what you want out of the big pay checks
how long you want to stay out there, it can be a lonely life.
see a financial planner. If you do borrow money make sure you can pay it back on your 800pw pay check if it all turns to ****.

But dont forget to enjoy yourself, why go up there if your not going to enjoy yourself.

thats my 2cents. NOW FIX MY EFFING AIRCON IN MY TRUCK!!!!!
SUBS, IPOD CONECTION, EXHAUST, K&N FILTER.
MORE TO COME.
ROBBO1981 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2012, 12:23 PM   #874
Addz08
"FEED IT"

[QUOTE=goodpawn]Try being a chef for the poor overpaid mine workers. Dont know what their home life is like but sure must be good if they whinge about 6-8 different food choices plus salads, and 2 different desserts every night.
Not to mention room cleaned on a regular basis, sheets changed twice a week and clean towels twice a week. Truck drivers seem to be the worst though, but most have got no teeth so I enjoy putting out corn on the cob just to hear them whinge that little bit more.
Cant really complain at the moment though Im on a new camp with only 6 people in so getting paid for 12 hours and working 3.
Plenty of kitchen work available in minesites(our company set to need 20-30 in the coming months for upcoming projects). Pay not quite as high as a dumpy driver or haul driver but get to work in air conditioned kitchens away from the dust,heat and flies.[/QUote

Hook me up mate, i,m lookin for a start somewhere, been trying for years to get a foot in the door..
BA XR8 UTE ,PACEMAKER 4/1'S,MAGNAFLOW METALCORE CATS,TOYS CUSTOM TWIN 2 1/2 SYSTEM, CAPA TUNE, K&N FILTER, LIGHTENED BILLET STEEL FLYWHEEL, DCS CLUTCH, SS INDUCTIONS BIGMOUTH CAI, 20" FR20 SIMMONS....
Addz08 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2012, 01:04 AM   #875
PHANTMXR6
It's not an FG MKI.......

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willing to help out with useful advice in the technical areas of the forum. 
Smile Re: Who works in the mines and what doing

I'm in the industry and I laugh at every operator who complains that their air con is not working satisfactorily yet keeps operating that piece of equipment.

It's very simple. If it doesn't work correctly then why are you driving it?

Every second operator then comes up with the excuse of having to move tonnes, but if they are on a waste run it's all good so the machine can be parked.

Crap, nothing more. If you accept it when you're on an ore run then there is no picking if it's good enough now compared to in an hours time when you get moved to a waste run.

Want to know how to do an A Service for an FG XR6T?

Look in this http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11339404

Thinking of oil sampling your engine?

Have a look at this trend http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....ght=oil+sample
PHANTMXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2012, 04:25 PM   #876
leadfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addz08
Hook me up mate, i,m lookin for a start somewhere, been trying for years to get a foot in the door..
I reckon your best chance is with the facilities management companies like ESS,Sodexho etc.I have been working with ESS for a year driving the buses and doing basic camp maintenance, and while the pay is not that great it has enabled me to get into the industry which is half the battle - once you are there it is just a matter of getting to know the right people and seeing what you can line up.Many people working for these companies have moved on to the trucks -and other things - in a relatively short time
Even if you stay with the likes of ESS there are some good opportunities with them - their construction camps and oil rig work can pay anywhere up to 150k a year.I have the option of moving to one of their construction sites where I'll be on about 120K - which to me is bloody good coin for driving a bus - I'm not sure about the 4 & 1 roster though.
So my advice for anyone trying to get a start in the mines - get a start with one of these companies - do 6 months to get mine site and FIFO experience and start networking to find something better
Some companies that I can think of are
ESS
Sodexho
Spotless
Morris Catering
Catercare
ISS

Good luck!
Old 10-03-2012, 09:25 PM   #877
HI PSI
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The real key to success is training...
HI PSI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2012, 10:03 PM   #878
gossy
CLEVO POWERED

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot
I reckon your best chance is with the facilities management companies like ESS,Sodexho etc.I have been working with ESS for a year driving the buses and doing basic camp maintenance, and while the pay is not that great it has enabled me to get into the industry which is half the battle - once you are there it is just a matter of getting to know the right people and seeing what you can line up.Many people working for these companies have moved on to the trucks -and other things - in a relatively short time
Even if you stay with the likes of ESS there are some good opportunities with them - their construction camps and oil rig work can pay anywhere up to 150k a year.I have the option of moving to one of their construction sites where I'll be on about 120K - which to me is bloody good coin for driving a bus - I'm not sure about the 4 & 1 roster though.
So my advice for anyone trying to get a start in the mines - get a start with one of these companies - do 6 months to get mine site and FIFO experience and start networking to find something better
Some companies that I can think of are
ESS
Sodexho
Spotless
Morris Catering
Catercare
ISS

Good luck!
Great advice there.
gossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2012, 10:18 PM   #879
05_ENFORCER

Sparkies wanted, must have 12-24 months gold/copper/lead production plant experience, brand new mine, W.A Gascoyne district, 7-10 yr mine life. 8/6, pay approx. $110K - $135K + super, no extras, FIFO PERTH only, F100 jets, local air strip, PM me NOW.
NOT a RIO/BHP site.
(PM only, not for discussion here)

Old 13-03-2012, 11:25 PM   #880
gtfpv
GT

received a phone call out of the blue today offering me a job in perth with westrac . 12 mth contract $3000 pw + $5000 at the end of the 12 months .
i was happy to be offered a job from someone in perth , when i'm not looking . i declined the offer as i'm a family man and doing alright in sydney .
i shouldve got a few more details before declining , ohhh well , i was told there is heaps of work in perth if i want a start .
it felt good for my ego . remended me of this thread , thaought i'd post it up . and no i wont give details out . my name come up on a list because of previous employment .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2012, 06:38 PM   #881
Springfield_Johny

Well I'm off to West Aus tomorrow from Brisbane, to try my luck at getting a decent job. I'm in Perth for 3 days to get my marcsta then train to Kalgoorlie on tuesday. I'm hoping it all works out

Daily drive 2010 Mitsubishi triton single cab turbo diesel

1968 XT Falcon (project yet to be started)
Springfield_Johny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2012, 07:03 PM   #882
gossy
CLEVO POWERED

^^^^^^^ Have you got a job lined up?
gossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2012, 07:26 PM   #883
Springfield_Johny

Nope, just trying my luck, applying over the Internet does nothing and no one wants to take newbies

Daily drive 2010 Mitsubishi triton single cab turbo diesel

1968 XT Falcon (project yet to be started)
Springfield_Johny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2012, 07:03 PM   #884
05_ENFORCER

Hey, you fellas up north W.A , hang on, TC Lua is gonna be a wild one.
We'll be in lockdown tomorrow.
Stay safe

Old 17-03-2012, 09:57 PM   #885
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05_ENFORCER
Hey, you fellas up north W.A , hang on, TC Lua is gonna be a wild one.
We'll be in lockdown tomorrow.
Stay safe

+ 1 , got a txt from a mate this arvo , they`re already in lockdown bit out of newman
Old 18-03-2012, 10:14 PM   #886
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

http://www.news.com.au/business/work...-1226303117703
Old 21-03-2012, 09:20 PM   #887
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

What happens if you got a natural disaster like a Cyclone but you live on site? Do you all just stay there?
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2012, 10:09 PM   #888
05_ENFORCER

Yep, non essential get flown/driven out.

Usually sparkies, mech fitters, and a rep from management left onsite if it all turns to clay.

If you have decent warning that is.

Lua was a panzy, lets hope and pray we don't get a Tracy (that took 71 souls in '74) and yes I was there.

Old 21-03-2012, 11:23 PM   #889
Murph-51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Jan 5th this year there was a company called miningjobsonline.com.au going around all the local shopping malls here in Brisbane doing intakes of people.
I approached them as I am keen as beens to get in on the mining sector, but have no quals so didnt know how to go about it.
I spoke this recruiter, and this is what he told me :
We have such a shortage of people in all fields including greenies (newbies) that we are forced out to malls like this to recruit more people.
What we are finding is that we are taking on a lot of newbies and spending $1000's on them training them up only to find after 3 odd months or so, they dont like it, or they miss their Mum.
So our new approach is this: You pay $250 to us, this shows and proves to us and your new perspective employer that you are committed to doing this type of work. If you gain employment, then after 3 months we will refund you your $250, if after 12 months you are still with the same company we will pay you an extra$750, so thats a $1000 bonus all up!
He then went on to say we dont guarantee you a job, but I will get you an interview, its up to you to pass your interview and medical.
Your $250 you pay also gives you a premium listing of your profile on our website for employers to see. You put in keywords of who you are, and what your offering, and when an employer comes to our website looking for employees, all they have to do is type in keywords of what they are looking for, so instead of getting 1000's of cv's to look through, they only get a dozen or so relating directly to the keywords you have provided and the keywords they have selected.
He reiterated many times over that greenies were high on employers lists at the moment and that he wouldnt expect the wait to be too long as most companies do their hiring during January and Febuary due to workers not returning to their jobs after their Christmas break.

Based on that I handed over $250 left some details and the next day established my profile on their website.

Oh he also said if I hadn't heard anything within 5 - 6 weeks, then to call him so he could escalate my profile and make some calls.
We are almost at the end of March now, have made several calls to his phone (always goes to message bank) have emailed the head office asking when I can expect an interview, only to be told they cant guarantee interviews, and that maybe I should change my keywords on my profile to get more interest from employers.
They are a legit company, but they mis led me into thinking that with in 5 - 6 weeks I'd be getting interviews, even just 1!!! lol, Not a thing!
I have had 3 emails from the company to tell me how they are making changes to their website and so forth. I starting to think that I and 1000's of others have just been there to fund their website.
I'm very deflated over the whole thing, and would like my $250 back, I haven't asked yet, but do you think I'm entitled to my $250 back?? They have not done anything for me specifically besides put a profile of me up on their website
Murph-51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2012, 12:18 AM   #890
05_ENFORCER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph-51
Jan 5th this year there was a company called miningjobsonline.com.au going around all the local shopping malls here in Brisbane doing intakes of people.
I approached them as I am keen as beens to get in on the mining sector, but have no quals so didnt know how to go about it.
I spoke this recruiter, and this is what he told me :
We have such a shortage of people in all fields including greenies (newbies) that we are forced out to malls like this to recruit more people.
What we are finding is that we are taking on a lot of newbies and spending $1000's on them training them up only to find after 3 odd months or so, they dont like it, or they miss their Mum.
So our new approach is this: You pay $250 to us, this shows and proves to us and your new perspective employer that you are committed to doing this type of work. If you gain employment, then after 3 months we will refund you your $250, if after 12 months you are still with the same company we will pay you an extra$750, so thats a $1000 bonus all up!
He then went on to say we dont guarantee you a job, but I will get you an interview, its up to you to pass your interview and medical.
Your $250 you pay also gives you a premium listing of your profile on our website for employers to see. You put in keywords of who you are, and what your offering, and when an employer comes to our website looking for employees, all they have to do is type in keywords of what they are looking for, so instead of getting 1000's of cv's to look through, they only get a dozen or so relating directly to the keywords you have provided and the keywords they have selected.
He reiterated many times over that greenies were high on employers lists at the moment and that he wouldnt expect the wait to be too long as most companies do their hiring during January and Febuary due to workers not returning to their jobs after their Christmas break.

Based on that I handed over $250 left some details and the next day established my profile on their website.

Oh he also said if I hadn't heard anything within 5 - 6 weeks, then to call him so he could escalate my profile and make some calls.
We are almost at the end of March now, have made several calls to his phone (always goes to message bank) have emailed the head office asking when I can expect an interview, only to be told they cant guarantee interviews, and that maybe I should change my keywords on my profile to get more interest from employers.
They are a legit company, but they mis led me into thinking that with in 5 - 6 weeks I'd be getting interviews, even just 1!!! lol, Not a thing!
I have had 3 emails from the company to tell me how they are making changes to their website and so forth. I starting to think that I and 1000's of others have just been there to fund their website.
I'm very deflated over the whole thing, and would like my $250 back, I haven't asked yet, but do you think I'm entitled to my $250 back?? They have not done anything for me specifically besides put a profile of me up on their website
I,m sorry bud, but you have been scammed mate.

NEVER hand over cash for a job, NEVER EVER

Old 22-03-2012, 12:59 AM   #891
glavas

Want a job in the mines?? Move to port/south hedland, newman, or anywere in the pilbra walk in to the pub and start making friends!!! Alot of work in the pilbra. . But to be honest its the hours that make alot of money. In the citys your on say $30 an hour but you do 80 hours a week theres your 3 grand a week and at least you get to go home to the wife!!! Some poeople just cant handle it up here tho. My company is paying over 2 grand a week plus accom to people to lift soil bags all day!!!
glavas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2012, 01:40 AM   #892
glavas

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
One thing to consider when chucking everything to go to the mines. Make sure you do not get in over your head.

The mines pay well because China are buying our minerals. If they have an economic hiccup the mines will go into hibernation in about 30 seconds resulting in a huge number of people being made redundant and flooding back to the "real world" looking for work.

The employers who have been hard hit because all the tradies and labourers have run off may not be all that interested in giving you a job or at least putting you on contract.

If you have been earning $2,000 per week and have $1,500 going out to pay for your "toys" you may find yourself a toyless bankrupt in a very short period of time.

Make hay while the sun shines but be sure you also store a bit up for winter......

You have no clue mate!!!! China has pre paid for alot of the iron ore so it will flow regardless!!!!
Old 22-03-2012, 01:56 AM   #893
glavas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
The idea in my head is that because I currently have no debts it would be a good idea after I finish my apprenticeship to see if I can get any type of job in a mine, particularily one where you live on site because then I'd be able to save up a lot of money in a few years, enough for a house where I live now, once you own a house you don't really "need" a high paying job because you'd have no mortgage which everyone says is the killer, just normal bills that come with having a house and living in it, like utilities, food etc, so you could probably work part time stacking shelves and still live comfortably if you owned your car and didn't care about having a lavish lifestyle.

You say that now but trust me once you start earning 3 grand a week you cant go back to 1500$ or whatever there paying in the cities these days. It becomes like a drug. Alot of miners i know my self included pay more tax then what some people earn in a year.
Old 22-03-2012, 12:17 PM   #894
Murph-51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I,m sorry bud, but you have been scammed mate.

NEVER hand over cash for a job, NEVER EVER

So where or whom do I turn to in getting my money back?
They are a legit company, I did check them out first. They just haven't backed up what they have said, and basically created false promises
Old 22-03-2012, 12:27 PM   #895
05_ENFORCER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph-51
So where or whom do I turn to in getting my money back?
They are a legit company, I did check them out first. They just haven't backed up what they have said, and basically created false promises
And that is why this mob (and others) do it.
They know you are easy prey.
They promise to suit you in employment and do not deliver, nor can you get your money back from them.

Old 22-03-2012, 01:08 PM   #896
.bazz.
MFP s/c 290BOSS GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by glavas
Want a job in the mines?? Move to port/south hedland, newman, or anywere in the pilbra
you make it sound easy as
you should tell everybody first ...how much rent $$$$ is up here in the pilbra

2007 BF MK2 XR6 TURBO UTE-winter white, y/t airbox, 60" injectors, herrod fuel pump, pwr intercooler, hot side pipe kit,CES exhaust.432rwhp 13psi http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11329995

2006 BF MK1 FPV GT-silhouette, 6sp manual, 4/4 brembo's, whipple 2.9L, custom MFP supercharger kit, hurricane exhaust, 3:73 ratio, eaton tru-trac

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
.bazz. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2012, 01:25 PM   #897
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by .bazz.
you make it sound easy as
you should tell everybody first ...how much rent $$$$ is up here in the pilbra
Depends on the package, do companies not pay or it? Mine did in qld.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2012, 01:35 PM   #898
graham_h
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by glavas
My company is paying over 2 grand a week plus accom to people to lift soil bags all day!!!
What company is that ? Where do I sign up ?
graham_h is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2012, 01:47 PM   #899
.bazz.
MFP s/c 290BOSS GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Depends on the package, do companies not pay or it? Mine did in qld.
most companies do, but if your a first timer trying to get into this industry you may have to move into a remote mining town to help get your foot in the door.

i work fly in/ fly out for construction campanies and all my project jobs are a complete package

2007 BF MK2 XR6 TURBO UTE-winter white, y/t airbox, 60" injectors, herrod fuel pump, pwr intercooler, hot side pipe kit,CES exhaust.432rwhp 13psi http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11329995

2006 BF MK1 FPV GT-silhouette, 6sp manual, 4/4 brembo's, whipple 2.9L, custom MFP supercharger kit, hurricane exhaust, 3:73 ratio, eaton tru-trac

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
.bazz. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2012, 02:15 PM   #900
Murph-51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
And that is why this mob (and others) do it.
They know you are easy prey.
They promise to suit you in employment and do not deliver, nor can you get your money back from them.

I have submitted my story to ACA, not so I can get my money back, so that others may be made aware, others that are struggling and think that this might be their savior!
I will have to wait to see if they run with it or not