Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 22-03-2012, 02:35 PM   #901
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Default Re: Who works in the mines and what doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph-51
Jan 5th this year there was a company called miningjobsonline.com.au going around all the local shopping malls here in Brisbane doing intakes of people.
I approached them as I am keen as beens to get in on the mining sector, but have no quals so didnt know how to go about it.
I spoke this recruiter, and this is what he told me :
We have such a shortage of people in all fields including greenies (newbies) that we are forced out to malls like this to recruit more people.
What we are finding is that we are taking on a lot of newbies and spending $1000's on them training them up only to find after 3 odd months or so, they dont like it, or they miss their Mum.
So our new approach is this: You pay $250 to us, this shows and proves to us and your new perspective employer that you are committed to doing this type of work. If you gain employment, then after 3 months we will refund you your $250, if after 12 months you are still with the same company we will pay you an extra$750, so thats a $1000 bonus all up!
He then went on to say we dont guarantee you a job, but I will get you an interview, its up to you to pass your interview and medical.
Your $250 you pay also gives you a premium listing of your profile on our website for employers to see. You put in keywords of who you are, and what your offering, and when an employer comes to our website looking for employees, all they have to do is type in keywords of what they are looking for, so instead of getting 1000's of cv's to look through, they only get a dozen or so relating directly to the keywords you have provided and the keywords they have selected.
He reiterated many times over that greenies were high on employers lists at the moment and that he wouldnt expect the wait to be too long as most companies do their hiring during January and Febuary due to workers not returning to their jobs after their Christmas break.

Based on that I handed over $250 left some details and the next day established my profile on their website.

Oh he also said if I hadn't heard anything within 5 - 6 weeks, then to call him so he could escalate my profile and make some calls.
We are almost at the end of March now, have made several calls to his phone (always goes to message bank) have emailed the head office asking when I can expect an interview, only to be told they cant guarantee interviews, and that maybe I should change my keywords on my profile to get more interest from employers.
They are a legit company, but they mis led me into thinking that with in 5 - 6 weeks I'd be getting interviews, even just 1!!! lol, Not a thing!
I have had 3 emails from the company to tell me how they are making changes to their website and so forth. I starting to think that I and 1000's of others have just been there to fund their website.
I'm very deflated over the whole thing, and would like my $250 back, I haven't asked yet, but do you think I'm entitled to my $250 back?? They have not done anything for me specifically besides put a profile of me up on their website
Maaaaaaaaaaate some pages back I went through the same thing, except I didnt hand over cash. I tried to get a face to face interview with them, call them etc and nothing. Dodgy ****** they are.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #902
Murph-51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

was it with the same company I went through?
Murph-51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2012, 07:19 PM   #903
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by glavas
You say that now but trust me once you start earning 3 grand a week you cant go back to 1500$ or whatever there paying in the cities these days. It becomes like a drug. Alot of miners i know my self included pay more tax then what some people earn in a year.
I guess so, but it would be all relative to how hard you work too, you probably wouldn't be stacking shelves for $3000 a week, it would be real hard work.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2012, 09:36 PM   #904
HI PSI
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You say that now but trust me once you start earning 3 grand a week you cant go back to 1500$ or whatever there paying in the cities these days. It becomes like a drug. Alot of miners i know my self included pay more tax then what some people earn in a year.
I can relate to where you're at. The amount of tax I pay doesn't just pay for one dole bludger, i am supporting a whole bloody community.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
I guess so, but it would be all relative to how hard you work too, you probably wouldn't be stacking shelves for $3000 a week, it would be real hard work.
Your statement is more dependant on your skills base, whether your skills be hands on, an operator or in a more professional role.. The higher the level the easier the work....

That kind on money can be earnt but it will not be working for the likes of BMA (Unless your are a Superintendant or better), it will be with a contractor at a lower rate, doing more hours and on a ****** roster..

Great money but lots of divorces.....
HI PSI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2012, 10:02 PM   #905
05_ENFORCER

If you are in the mining industry and you are paying too much tax, you need to see a decent accountant or a financial planner.

Old 22-03-2012, 11:17 PM   #906
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by HI PSI
I can relate to where you're at. The amount of tax I pay doesn't just pay for one dole bludger, i am supporting a whole bloody community.....

Your statement is more dependant on your skills base, whether your skills be hands on, an operator or in a more professional role.. The higher the level the easier the work....

That kind on money can be earnt but it will not be working for the likes of BMA (Unless your are a Superintendant or better), it will be with a contractor at a lower rate, doing more hours and on a ****** roster..

Great money but lots of divorces.....
Whats a 28/9 roster like? I assume good pay?
Old 22-03-2012, 11:51 PM   #907
glavas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05_ENFORCER
If you are in the mining industry and you are paying too much tax, you need to see a decent accountant or a financial planner.

My accountant is awsome he is of the hebrew faith so you can not get better. He Costs me 3 grand, but at the end of the day you got to pay taxes!!!!
glavas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2012, 12:03 AM   #908
05_ENFORCER

Quote:
My accountant is awsome he is of the hebrew faith so you can not get better. He Costs me 3 grand, but at the end of the day you got to pay taxes!!!!
Hebrew eh?

at 3 grand he'd wanna be good

choice bro
Old 23-03-2012, 08:53 PM   #909
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Whats a 28/9 roster like? I assume good pay?
its a month away from home earning coin.. good for cashing up..

it can be a stretch though if youre not getting in to it....
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2012, 08:59 PM   #910
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
its a month away from home earning coin.. good for cashing up..

it can be a stretch though if youre not getting in to it....
Ah yep, so you work 28 days straight then have 9 days off? That would have to be a high paid position even by mine standards, right?
Old 23-03-2012, 09:11 PM   #911
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ah yep, so you work 28 days straight then have 9 days off? That would have to be a high paid position even by mine standards, right?
cant work 28 days straight with no days off.. usually have your 14th off say a sunday or something.....

rosters is only part of it.. type of role.. hourly rate.. hours worked per shift.. then yea power through the tax zone....
Old 28-03-2012, 09:15 PM   #912
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

after spending near on ten years working away from home.. ive bailed on the mines for a bit...

i'll take the pay cut, cant put a price on just being at home 24/7.. and bumming on my couch is priceless, something ive never appreciated..

very surreal walking away from something youve done for so long..

not too big bad or scary though, ive landed a job in the city working on mine equipment...
Old 28-03-2012, 10:09 PM   #913
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Yeah, it's not everyone's cup of tea. Chasing the almighty dollar has messed up a lot of relationships............. I know of lots of blokes that have gone up and hated the place..........
Old 28-03-2012, 10:14 PM   #914
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
after spending near on ten years working away from home.. ive bailed on the mines for a bit...

i'll take the pay cut, cant put a price on just being at home 24/7.. and bumming on my couch is priceless, something ive never appreciated..

very surreal walking away from something youve done for so long..

not too big bad or scary though, ive landed a job in the city working on mine equipment...
Did you work in SA, notice your profile says Adelaide, if you where going to be a newby into a mine, where would you go?

I like the idea of Tasmania, but I don't hear much about the mines down there, there is one in Bendigo here in Vic, I know one of the guys there but he was saying they only wanted qualified diesel fitters nothing else.
Old 28-03-2012, 10:26 PM   #915
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if i was going to be a newby all over again.. i would go with whoever would give me a start..

where is irrelevant.. playing with mud or dirt no matter where you end up...
Old 28-03-2012, 10:42 PM   #916
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
if i was going to be a newby all over again.. i would go with whoever would give me a start..

where is irrelevant.. playing with mud or dirt no matter where you end up...
Too true...fingers crossed I get called back. Im going through the grad process now, wow what a PIA.

Damo, did you know they are doing exploration for brown coal a bit in VIC now? I found out the other day when I saw protest signs...LOL

Anyway, it might be a few years off but there is hope for Victoria yet. Im not holding my breath though, ill go where ever. FIFO, or residential, dont care, let me (and my family ) in!

Just got to wait until June now.

Good work PB...having the option to change it up is something alot of people dont have or are to scared to do.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 28-03-2012, 10:48 PM   #917
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Damo, did you know they are doing exploration for brown coal a bit in VIC now? I found out the other day when I saw protest signs...LOL
Well they know where the coal is ....... more you can poke a stick at ...... but the problem is how politically disastrous would it be opening new mines to get the stuff out now it is labeled as 'dirty'. In the end ... the dollars will win! The demonstrators are out in their dozens saying no and we all know the minority rules.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2012, 11:03 PM   #918
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Yeah but I did notice the Premier talking about it the other day too.

I do agree the impacts are large, but I had to LOL when I read a comment on a blog about Bacchus Marsh...to the tune of "it will be the best thing for the region, they should level Bacchus Marsh and Melton and call it Melton Marsh". A little harsh but it made me laugh.

There is not much going on in that part of the world, they have a rail network aswell.

Victorias economy and industry is going to poo, the state needs something because qualified people are all moving interstate to work. I know I will if I have too.

We have had the La Trobe valley for ages, whats the difference? And while it doesnt help entirely there are some new(ish) techniques to try and clean up brown coal a little. Still, its a dirty game but we all want to power our plasmas and PS3's so what can ya do. No on is really investing in anything else.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 28-03-2012, 11:38 PM   #919
LyleXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Found huge amounts of coal less than half hour from my home town in Vic, but the locals don't want the trees and **** flattened. Wowsers!!
LyleXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2012, 07:36 PM   #920
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Too true...fingers crossed I get called back. Im going through the grad process now, wow what a PIA.

Anyway, it might be a few years off but there is hope for Victoria yet. Im not holding my breath though, ill go where ever. FIFO, or residential, dont care, let me (and my family ) in!

Just got to wait until June now.

Good work PB...having the option to change it up is something alot of people dont have or are to scared to do.
I heard about that on the news, I should go out there with a sign saying I support it lol.

The noisy minority are the ones who generally win, so that will have to be me .
Old 30-03-2012, 02:20 AM   #921
glavas

Mining work will happen regardless of what enviro peolple think. So you may as well accept that and get on board the money train. I do 6 weeks on 2 weeks off in port hedland. Making contacts is the best way to get into mining. 80% of the jobs dont get addvitised because its the age old its not what you no its who you no
glavas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #922
Addz08
"FEED IT"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springfield_Johny
Nope, just trying my luck, applying over the Internet does nothing and no one wants to take newbies

Any luck mate? i,m about to do the same but heading to Emerald on good friday..
BA XR8 UTE ,PACEMAKER 4/1'S,MAGNAFLOW METALCORE CATS,TOYS CUSTOM TWIN 2 1/2 SYSTEM, CAPA TUNE, K&N FILTER, LIGHTENED BILLET STEEL FLYWHEEL, DCS CLUTCH, SS INDUCTIONS BIGMOUTH CAI, 20" FR20 SIMMONS....
Addz08 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2012, 11:15 PM   #923
gtfpv
GT

Good luck guys , i applause you for trying .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2012, 08:34 AM   #924
05_ENFORCER

Have a look at this bro's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK6bv_v3dPo

Mining life, ahhh, gotta love it

Old 31-03-2012, 09:00 AM   #925
.bazz.
MFP s/c 290BOSS GT

Quote:

thats classic!

very true

2007 BF MK2 XR6 TURBO UTE-winter white, y/t airbox, 60" injectors, herrod fuel pump, pwr intercooler, hot side pipe kit,CES exhaust.432rwhp 13psi http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11329995

2006 BF MK1 FPV GT-silhouette, 6sp manual, 4/4 brembo's, whipple 2.9L, custom MFP supercharger kit, hurricane exhaust, 3:73 ratio, eaton tru-trac

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
.bazz. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2012, 09:17 AM   #926
Angeldust

my girfriends mother is suffering from what looks like coal miners lung.
(she's still not toatally diagnosed, but from my own research this is what it points to)...

She has never smoked, BUT lived (not worked there) directly across the road from the ipswich coalmine for 20 years........

I would think twice about going anywhere near a dusty place like that.

Z series Clubsport HRT edition..
e46 320ci 2.2ltr Stocko
Angeldust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2012, 08:58 PM   #927
.bazz.
MFP s/c 290BOSS GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeldust
my girfriends mother is suffering from what looks like coal miners lung.
(she's still not toatally diagnosed, but from my own research this is what it points to)...

She has never smoked, BUT lived (not worked there) directly across the road from the ipswich coalmine for 20 years........

I would think twice about going anywhere near a dusty place like that.
not all, fly in / fly out job are in coal mines

70% of my jobs have been on brand new sites..eg LNG plants, power stations, desalination plant.

i follow the construction companies that builds for the mines

2007 BF MK2 XR6 TURBO UTE-winter white, y/t airbox, 60" injectors, herrod fuel pump, pwr intercooler, hot side pipe kit,CES exhaust.432rwhp 13psi http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11329995

2006 BF MK1 FPV GT-silhouette, 6sp manual, 4/4 brembo's, whipple 2.9L, custom MFP supercharger kit, hurricane exhaust, 3:73 ratio, eaton tru-trac

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
.bazz. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2012, 09:29 PM   #928
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

On th otherhand i was underground and came out with only the whites of my eyes visible. Most jobs have risks, all the safety gear is offered if you want it.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 31-03-2012, 11:34 PM   #929
Addz08
"FEED IT"

Quote:
Want a job in the mines?? Move to port/south hedland, newman, or anywere in the pilbra walk in to the pub and start making friends!!! Alot of work in the pilbra. . But to be honest its the hours that make alot of money. In the citys your on say $30 an hour but you do 80 hours a week theres your 3 grand a week and at least you get to go home to the wife!!! Some poeople just cant handle it up here tho. My company is paying over 2 grand a week plus accom to people to lift soil bags all day!!!

I"ll come lift soil bags all days mate,lol! Any contacts?
BA XR8 UTE ,PACEMAKER 4/1'S,MAGNAFLOW METALCORE CATS,TOYS CUSTOM TWIN 2 1/2 SYSTEM, CAPA TUNE, K&N FILTER, LIGHTENED BILLET STEEL FLYWHEEL, DCS CLUTCH, SS INDUCTIONS BIGMOUTH CAI, 20" FR20 SIMMONS....
Addz08 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2012, 01:14 AM   #930
gtfpv
GT

Quote:

that is hilarious !!!!!
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post