Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 03-06-2012, 11:37 AM   #1051
05_ENFORCER

Default Re: Who works in the mines and what doing

"Quote" [Tadic] I wouldn't mind getting into the mining industry at some stage. About to earn my trade papers in Carpentry and Joinery, currently just doing Roofing here in Perth, mainly for Dale Alcock Homes and a few project builders. "Quote"

Might give self employment a go first, apparently a housing boom is expected towards the end of the year and could be a decent start for me if I can get myself sorted in time.

Excellent choice, subby roof carpenter will make you good coin.

Have a crack at that first, camp maintenance will bore the crap out of you.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:19 PM   #1052
go_ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craiginmackay
4 weeks on, 3weeks off or 4 days on 3 days off

@ go-ford: I work as a plumber in the mining industry. I have worked for both John Holland and United Group Rescources over the last 6 years. Give them a try but you will most likely need to be based in Central QLD to get a start. Ring and find out though. Also worth trying companies like ESS and Sodexo. They run the minesite camps and have tradies for maintenance.
just another question. what sort of plumbing work do you do in the mines if you arnt working on camp sites??
Old 03-06-2012, 10:50 PM   #1053
LyleXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_ford
just another question. what sort of plumbing work do you do in the mines if you arnt working on camp sites??
heaps of big ****!!! water everywhere in gold mills, always hosing down around the plant where slurry builds up, all the ball/sag mills have water running through them and huge tailings dams, in most of WA ground water is found at 30M deep, our pit is 530m currrently so you can imagine the amount of pumps and the size of the plumbing to keep the pit dry
LyleXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2012, 11:03 PM   #1054
05_ENFORCER

Quote:
It can be vast and varied, as an example, anything from a 20mm black poly welding/Plasson repair (or copper) in a water/cyanide/acid line (you get the idea) to installing a 100/355mm main bore line from the bottom of the pit to the tails or process water dam or even installing/repairing/maintaining a cold water fountain at the admin area or repairing a sewage line/pump pit.

Anything to do with water or poo is the job at hand

Old 03-06-2012, 11:40 PM   #1055
go_ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05_ENFORCER
It can be vast and varied, as an example, anything from a 20mm black poly welding/Plasson repair (or copper) in a water/cyanide/acid line (you get the idea) to installing a 100/355mm main bore line from the bottom of the pit to the tails or process water dam or even installing/repairing/maintaining a cold water fountain at the admin area or repairing a sewage line/pump pit.

Anything to do with water or poo is the job at hand

haha. thanks to both of you guys. but I think the problem is are they looking for fully qualified. because im a journeyman that may restrict the jobs i can apply for.. if anyone can help me on that one it would be great..
Old 04-06-2012, 12:32 AM   #1056
05_ENFORCER

WTF is a journeyman. (no disrespect intended)

Is that US talk for some kind of apprentice/new tradesman in the eastern states?

I have never heard of this here in Oz that's all

Old 04-06-2012, 12:33 AM   #1057
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
haha. thanks to both of you guys. but I think the problem is are they looking for fully qualified. because im a journeyman that may restrict the jobs i can apply for.. if anyone can help me on that one it would be great..
just bs on your resume.. everyone else does....

mbe not so good pretending to be a sparky though....
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2012, 12:33 AM   #1058
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

double banger city..
Old 04-06-2012, 12:36 AM   #1059
05_ENFORCER

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
just bs on your resume.. everyone else does....

mbe not so good pretending to be a sparky though....

You won't get far if I am perusing your resume

I was interviewing an NT sparky 4 days ago applying for a spakies job with us and he couldn't produce a W.A license on demand.

Needless to say he won't be travelling to W.A on my budget

Don't bullshart your way into this industry, I employ people on skills and "fit"
not on vast experience alone.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:44 AM   #1060
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You won't get far if I am perusing your resume

I was interviewing an NT sparky 4 days ago applying for a spakies job with us and he couldn't produce a W.A license on demand.

Needless to say he won't be travelling to W.A on my budget

Don't bullshart your way into this industry, I employ people on skills and "fit"
not on vast experience alone.

some clown was caught out in newman.. rocks up as a sparky.. was recognised by blokes.. 'hey he was just a T/A at our last job..'

turns out he used bs license number.. company got a big rocket for not doing proper checks...

ive seen a few bs fitters over time.. classic was a pedders suspension fitter..

he use to fit shocks and springs so he was a fitter...
Old 04-06-2012, 08:26 AM   #1061
Cheese3
The BEST Falcon is the AU

sweat, when my leave my job as a real fitter and turner i am qualified to fit suspension parts! awesome!
Cheese3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2012, 09:21 AM   #1062
go_ford

Quote:
WTF is a journeyman. (no disrespect intended)

Is that US talk for some kind of apprentice/new tradesman in the eastern states?

I have never heard of this here in Oz that's all

haha. thats just what the qualification is called for somebody whos finished the plumbing apprenticeship. then you have to do cert 4 to be a fully qualified tradesman.

it sounds stupid i know. but the only thing you cant do as a journeyman is run a business.. so I hope finding a job as a plumber isnt to difficult.

Last edited by go_ford; 04-06-2012 at 09:31 AM.
go_ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2012, 12:36 AM   #1063
Ruination

Quote:

Excellent choice, subby roof carpenter will make you good coin.

Have a crack at that first, camp maintenance will bore the crap out of you.

The last thing I want to do is hang a door some bastard ripped off!

Can't say I would be very interested in fit outs whatsoever, however I have a few mates working for Civmec doing some formworking up Newman ways (Hope Downs?) they seem to be making a killing.

Definitely going to stick it out on my own, I have already started the tool collection so might as well commit and see what I can do. Would rather make my own money than make it for some other bloke!
Old 05-06-2012, 11:44 AM   #1064
B&D Racing
Banned

Hi,

We are URGENTLY looking for FITTERS AND BOILERMAKERS WITH SGS/BMA CARD AND GENERAL COAL INDUCTION.

SITE INDUCTION INTO GOONYELLA OR BMA BLACKWATER REQUIRED.

We have long term positions available for the right candidates!

This might be you or someone else you know in the industry so please pass out our number 02 8222 3090 or our email labourhire@inspirerecruit.com.au so that we can provide any extra information that you need.

Inspire Engineering Pty Ltd - We look forward to working with you

www.inspirerecruit.com.au

As we usually receive a high volume of calls I will not be able to take your call initially and ask if you could PLEASE respond by reply email with your up to date resume.
We apologise if this opportunity does not fit your skills and experience, we have done our best to narrow down our search as much as possible.
Looking forward to hearing back from you.
Kind regards,
Philippa Wright

Project/Office Administrator

Inspire Recruitment Group | Inspire Engineering www.inspirerecruit.com.au

Level 4, 10 Spring Street, Sydney NSW 2000
Phone: 02 8222 3000
Fax: 02 8222 3030
E-mail: philippaw@inspirerecruit.com.au
B&D Racing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2012, 09:40 AM   #1065
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
On top of what the others have already mentioned, as the mine that I work at has its own 800 man camp, I spend quite a bit of time running/maintaining the potable water and sewerage treatment plants.

My time at work can be a bit groundhog dayish some weeks and extremely varied on others depending on what has let go ( IE breakdown work).

To give you an example of what a typical stint is for me, I just got back from a 4 day hitch and in that time did the following type of stuff:

*Daily checks/ maintenance of potable water and sewerage treatment plants.
*Replaced the carbon in both of the carbon filters at the potable Water treatment plant. ( a yearly task that is quite interesting)
*Fixed two seperate blockages to rising mains from heavy vehicle vehicle wash bays ( breakdown work)
* Some backhoe work ( I usually am on the backhoe once a month)
*Fixed a bit of flashing on a maint shed 40mtrs in the air ( random)
* Eyewash flush maintenance ( weekly)
* Collection of water samples for biological and algae testing ( weekly)
*Site wide replacement of water filters in buldings, draglines, etc. ( 3 monthly)
*Fixed two leaking cisterns ( random)
*Unblocked a crapper ( almost daily with the food we are dished up LOL)
*Clean/ Check a couple ofsewer pits are working as they should ( fortnightly)

As yhou can see there is a good mix of stuff that I do regularly as well as one off stuff.

Last week I was fixing a major leak on a 500mm poly raw water line buried 1.5 mtrs down among other things.
The week before I was replacing an atmosheric valve on a 300mm cement lined cast iron pipeline that operates at 3000kpa. So some interesting stuff gets thrown into the mix along with the mundane.

There are mundane bits to my job ( stuff I do every day) and unexpected bits that are anything but mundane. Hope this helps give you an idea of what kind of work is out there. I can be anywhere on site from a dragline to the minesite village doing stuff. I average about 100klms a typical day.

I joke that its a bit like a council plumbers job but I get paid a little better. LOL

As for being a journeyman, I wouldn't worry about that little detail on your resume. The average person doesn't realise that a journeyman exists in the plumbing trade, so why confuse the issue.
You are qualified and have finished your time, so you are a plumber. You just don't have that last bit of paper to be a self employed one.

Last edited by XR6TCraig; 06-06-2012 at 09:47 AM.
XR6TCraig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2012, 10:05 AM   #1066
Scott

Does anyone know what site this poor young fella was killed at? Thoughts with his family, friends and workmates.
http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news...-1226385610359
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2012, 01:38 PM   #1067
B&D Racing
Banned

http://www.miningaustralia.com.au/ne...-worker-killed

A Moranbah quarry worker has died following a conveyor belt accident.

The unnamed 21 year old man was killed late last night at the MCG Group's Moranbah South Quarry, the Daily Mercury reports.

It is believed that the man became trapped in the conveyor belt.

He was pronounced dead at the scene.

No one else was injured in the accident.

The company MCG carry out a range of resources contracting operations such as drilling, crushing, rental, and resource development works.
B&D Racing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2012, 11:41 PM   #1068
go_ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craiginmackay
On top of what the others have already mentioned, as the mine that I work at has its own 800 man camp, I spend quite a bit of time running/maintaining the potable water and sewerage treatment plants.

As for being a journeyman, I wouldn't worry about that little detail on your resume. The average person doesn't realise that a journeyman exists in the plumbing trade, so why confuse the issue.
You are qualified and have finished your time, so you are a plumber. You just don't have that last bit of paper to be a self employed one.
hey thanks for the info, sounds like a good job and also very interesting.

Really hoping to find some work soon. But just not completely sure where to start looking first..I have first aid, working at heights and confined spaces, I was going to get an excavator ticket but they scrapped them licenses before I got one, I don't know if WA have the same laws as nsw but I'm sure it would have looked better an my resume. Lol
But again thanks for the info. Was realy helpful
go_ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2012, 07:28 AM   #1069
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

some positive news from BHP regarding projects...

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/busine...-1226386846169
Old 09-06-2012, 12:01 AM   #1070
ab_futura

Can anybody provide me some info about getting a job as an electrician in the mines? I imagine there will be a number of extra qualifications on top of the general fitter/mechanic license. Do the the mines employ tradesmen directly or use contractors, and is it still possible to find fifo work or do they only offer relocation deals?
ab_futura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2012, 12:19 AM   #1071
glavas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab_futura
Can anybody provide me some info about getting a job as an electrician in the mines? I imagine there will be a number of extra qualifications on top of the general fitter/mechanic license. Do the the mines employ tradesmen directly or use contractors, and is it still possible to find fifo work or do they only offer relocation deals?

Downer at nelson point do fifo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
glavas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2012, 12:44 AM   #1072
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ab the mines are run by electricians. A lot of managers, superintendants and supervisors in the mine I work at got their start as sparkies. I would say half of the lower and middle managment at the mine are sparkies by trade who have been promoted up the ladder.

You should have no problem getting work. It just depends on how picky you are. If you want fly in fly out stuff then it becomes a little more challenging but there are always jobs for sparkies. Best way to go about it is to get your start working for anyone you can. It might mean moving to one of the main supply towns ( such as Mackay) for the mines initially to open up all of the job opportunities available though.

Try contacting any of the large contractors who have already been mentioned in theis thread and see how you go.
XR6TCraig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2012, 07:47 AM   #1073
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

http://www.bigpondmoney.com.au/go-we...s-money-gowest

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2012, 08:37 AM   #1074
05_ENFORCER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab_futura

If you have had any fixed plant, industrial, packaging, PLC experience, etc you are a shoe in.
(If you have PM me, FIFO W.A 8/6 days only)

Old 09-06-2012, 09:38 AM   #1075
XRDeeze
UTRIED

seems like a house with no windows and doors getting in the Mines. Any work around Nth Qld FIFO?, got no experience. crane ticket thats about it.

Townsville Drag 1/10/11 PB: 15.34 @ 91.09 mph
XRDeeze is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2012, 08:37 PM   #1076
Lachie

I'm young, currently a Driller's Offsider, been offsiding for 7 months, first job too. Love working hard! 4 weeks on, 2 weeks off, 12hr shifts, no smokos, rotating day and night shifts and work every day for the whole 4 weeks. Got a mountain of mining qualifications and tickets, even got my shotfirer's licence. Looking to get underground as a nipper and progress my way up the ranks. Please PM me if you can help. Have applied for easily over 1,000 jobs and I'm still here.
Lachie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2012, 10:50 PM   #1077
05_ENFORCER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lachie
I'm young, currently a Driller's Offsider, been offsiding for 7 months, first job too. Love working hard! 4 weeks on, 2 weeks off, 12hr shifts, no smokos, rotating day and night shifts and work every day for the whole 4 weeks. Got a mountain of mining qualifications and tickets, even got my shotfirer's licence. Looking to get underground as a nipper and progress my way up the ranks. Please PM me if you can help. Have applied for easily over 1,000 jobs and I'm still here.

Australian Contract Mining WA/QLD, DT Workforce/QLD or HWE WA/QLD.

If you've done the yards it will be a POP for you.

Where are you based nipper?

Old 29-06-2012, 11:15 PM   #1078
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

double banger
Old 29-06-2012, 11:15 PM   #1079
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

coming up to four months now out of the mines for me..

yea it was fun.. yea made loots of mooney.. yea spent loots of mooney..

man its so cool to be in a strange house that is my house.. dont miss it..
Old 30-06-2012, 01:46 AM   #1080
Lachie

Quote:

Australian Contract Mining WA/QLD, DT Workforce/QLD or HWE WA/QLD.

If you've done the yards it will be a POP for you.

Where are you based nipper?

I'm based in Geelong, no one seems to do FIFO out of Melbourne.

I'm feeling that I need to relocate to be able to get a job. I have applied at possibly every major mining company, recruitment agency and heaps of contractors. In the end, it all comes down to lack of experience or having to relocate which I don't quite have the coin for.

I'm even a volunteer at an underground gold mine as underground mine maintenance, however they are not a operating mine.

Last edited by Lachie; 30-06-2012 at 01:53 AM.
Lachie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post