Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-04-2010, 10:36 PM   #91
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
I'm 18 at the moment and I'm a first year apprentice mechanic, would I start an "apprenticeship" as a production line worker? Or just go onto minumum wage for my age, rather than first year apprentice wages?

I'm on $7.05 an hour at the moment...

What I'd like to do is if possible, work at Ford Australia, in any position and see if I can transfer to a dealership position as an apprentice mechanic to make me look more appropriate for the job, having some experience behind me at Ford.
Apprentices don't start doing production work. If you got an apprenticeship you would start on more than you make now. I think it isn't until your 3rd year of the apprenticeship that you make more than a production worker. But the kicker is if you stay at Ford you get trade pay, the same as a fitter or a sparky, which is a hell of a lot more than you would get at an outside workshop or dealership.

You couldn't get a transfer into a dealership, Ford don't own dealerships. But you would be stupid to do that anyway as you would make a ton more money as a mechanic working for Ford. Really hard to get though.

They also only hire once a year, with limited positions.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post