Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-07-2009, 01:54 PM   #91
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshvee
And I love reading responses from even sillyer people who don't even realise they are saying something silly. The law is, do not cross untill red light stops flashing... what part of that dont you understand? And as a mater of fact, no I dont speed. and yes I am a perfectly good mature man. And damn proud of it.
I did read your other post siding on safety, thats why ur stupid post makes no sence because it seems to contradict your safe nature.
No, you obviously didn't get it. I didn't say drive through with your eyes closed and put your foot down, and try to beat the train. All I said was you can't say "well at a traffic light you can't go till it turns green, so we will apply that logic to a train crossing." It's a different circumstance.
And you have never been 1km over the speed limit, EVER? Just as well lying isn't a crime :-)
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2009, 01:57 PM   #92
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I think you still have a bit of growing up to do.
Like i said, moron on his high horse. Jump to conclusions way to early and your mouth is bigger than your brain, there is nothing wrong with anything that I have said. I haven't promoted dangerous driving. You also didn't deny the question about ever downloading anything copyright.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:04 PM   #93
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Name calling and rubbish of that nature will see warnings being handed out.

chevypower I can see where you are coming from but what about level crossings with lights but no gates? I seriously hope you wouldn't just go when you think it is safe then. I've seen the results of people doing that, it's an end that you don't want.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2009, 02:12 PM   #94
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh, I admit when I was living in Melbourne, when the gates went up, (and were fully up), I would proceed even if the lights were still going. The reason I asked Steve Bracks if the camera at Nunawading fined people, was for the reason I explained earlier. Is it active as soon as the lights start flashing? Meaning you have to slam on the brakes when the lights and bells start? Yes, if an amber light was added, that would be ok. Fortunately, it's not there for that reason.

There are several crossings here where big freight trains cross, some only have lights, and many only have stop signs. So that is the situation you describe, RG. And with less train traffic (than Connex), it's easy to assume nothing would be coming. I always stop, look both ways, twice, but most drivers around here seem to be pretty good with that.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:21 PM   #95
downthetrack

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC_Lizzard
Unless the train is sitting at a platform for 3 minutes (or possibly more) after activating the boom gates.
Depending on the stations signalling setup (In QLD anyway) we have Super Control Signals at some locations close to road crossings that trigger the boomgates even if the Rail signal is at red to protect the traffic in case the train goes past the signal. Yes it can be annoying but its not like a couple of minutes is the end of the world.

JG66ME is right on the money in explaining the boomgate/lights setup.
downthetrack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2009, 02:26 PM   #96
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
LOL well tell us ur real name then so we can recognise you on the front page when they identify ur body. :

chevypower and dom_105, you should both have your lisences canceled and your cars confiscated.
Give me a break.

Laws work on the worst case scenario to protect the lowest common denominator. It is in place as a result of crossings like Springvale Road, where there is chaos from dawn to dusk. The importance diminishes somewhat on a crossing that sees two trains an hour, where you can see clearly for a mile.

In some circumstances, no matter how illegal, crossing over the tracks while the lights are still flashing after a train is no less dangerous than doing a legal U-turn on a divided road.
dom_105 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2009, 02:32 PM   #97
Joshvee
A New Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
Like i said, moron on his high horse. Jump to conclusions way to early and your mouth is bigger than your brain, there is nothing wrong with anything that I have said. I haven't promoted dangerous driving. You also didn't deny the question about ever downloading anything copyright.
Well actually, saying that you would cross while the lights are still flashing is not only promoting dangerous driving but it's also promoting illegal driving. Funny how those that break the law have to abuse those who dont.

I didn't mention downloading because this is a car forum. So what i may or may not do with my computer is moot. (Unless maybe the computer is in my car). It's just a way that you are trying to show that everyone breaks the law so that you can attempt to validate breaking the train track laws. Using that logic we can break every law because we break 1??

That just doesnt make sence.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:33 PM   #98
Joshvee
A New Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom_105
Give me a break.

Laws work on the worst case scenario to protect the lowest common denominator. It is in place as a result of crossings like Springvale Road, where there is chaos from dawn to dusk. The importance diminishes somewhat on a crossing that sees two trains an hour, where you can see clearly for a mile.

In some circumstances, no matter how illegal, crossing over the tracks while the lights are still flashing after a train is no less dangerous than doing a legal U-turn on a divided road.
so you cant wait an extra 5 seconds to follow the law??
you sound like a friend of mine who doesn't think he needs to indicate if he cant see any other cars around. He currently has no Licence.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:46 PM   #99
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by downthetrack
Depending on the stations signalling setup (In QLD anyway) we have Super Control Signals at some locations close to road crossings that trigger the boomgates even if the Rail signal is at red to protect the traffic in case the train goes past the signal. Yes it can be annoying but its not like a couple of minutes is the end of the world.

Yes, Super Control is a QR thing when the crossing is in the overlap of a signal.

It tends to make the crossing controls a PITA to design on 3 / 4 track lines with Bi-directional working. and a station on one side.

Steve
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2009, 02:58 PM   #100
XC_Lizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by downthetrack

You should try Blackburn Rd in Blackburn during peak hour (morning or evening).
The problem is that it is often not a problem, but if your luck is out it can take well over 15 minutes to get through a crossing that normally takes 2 minutes.

At least now we are starting to get some grade separated crossings in the area, as previously all the alternative crossings for miles in either direction were just as bad.
XC_Lizzard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2009, 03:28 PM   #101
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:
Give me a break.

The importance diminishes somewhat on a crossing that sees two trains an hour, where you can see clearly for a mile.
Whilst this may seem logical it has been proven to be incorrect.

People tend to have a routine and drive to and from places within a time band every day. (I am on the Calder freeway between 7am and 830am most days south bound Gisborne to the city)

Where you have low traffic railways (2 or 3 freight trains a day each way) a lot of people may cross the railway without seeing a train for years. Then one day they are out of their routine or there is a out of timetable train.

This is where we get into trouble. Especially at lines with a stop sign only. People can see for a mile if they look, thats IF.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:32 PM   #102
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC_Lizzard
You should try Blackburn Rd in Blackburn during peak hour (morning or evening).
The problem is that it is often not a problem, but if your luck is out it can take well over 15 minutes to get through a crossing that normally takes 2 minutes.

At least now we are starting to get some grade separated crossings in the area, as previously all the alternative crossings for miles in either direction were just as bad.
My guys designed that one. The reason that crossing is always down is because of the number of trains, one after the other. Cannot help but grade separate.

Also I believe the Signallers don't always use the express and stopper controls so that doesn't help.

Last edited by JG66ME; 06-07-2009 at 03:44 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:57 PM   #103
XC_Lizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG66ME
My guys designed that one. The reason that crossing is always down is because of the number of trains, one after the other. Cannot help but grade separate.

Also I believe the Signallers don't always use the express and stopper controls so that doesn't help.

Given how long it took to get started on Grade Separation at Springvale rd, is the Blackburn crossing ever likely to be grade separated?
(Although once Springvale rd is done, it may relieve a lot of the traffic from Blackburn rd).

If you ever want suggestions for improvements for the Blackburn Rd crossing let me know, I have spent so much time sitting there over the last 15 years, I have had plenty of thoughts (some of them are even suitable for polite company ).
XC_Lizzard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2009, 04:00 PM   #104
downthetrack

Quote:
The importance diminishes somewhat on a crossing that sees two trains an hour, where you can see clearly for a mile.
A lot of my near misses have been because of locals being complacent, thinking they know train times and the like, or using the opportunity of slowing trains due to speed restrictions to sneak around the gates. Then being caught out a week later when the restriction is lifted and that lightly loaded PNQ train appears at 100kph.
Old 06-07-2009, 04:59 PM   #105
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well actually, saying that you would cross while the lights are still flashing is not only promoting dangerous driving but it's also promoting illegal driving. Funny how those that break the law have to abuse those who dont.

I didn't mention downloading because this is a car forum. So what i may or may not do with my computer is moot. (Unless maybe the computer is in my car). It's just a way that you are trying to show that everyone breaks the law so that you can attempt to validate breaking the train track laws. Using that logic we can break every law because we break 1??

That just doesnt make sence.
No, it doesn't validate anything. It just means get off your high horse. You might fool yourself in to thinking you're a perfectly law abiding citizen (read law-abiding, not lore abiding) citizen. I just know you would say it the second way. But no matter how much you try to throw this on me, no matter how much you try to shift it around to suit you. You aren't fooling me, so you can give it up. Even if you are convinced that breaking non-car related laws is ok.
And i never said i condone crossing the tracks early, i just admitted to having done it before. See, i am ok with telling how it is. I could lie and tell everyone how perfect i am at obeying the law. Nobody on here could prove otherwise. But then i would sound just like you. That wouldn't be a good thing. Are you just trying to pick fights, or do you really feel like you have a point?
Old 06-07-2009, 06:41 PM   #106
Joshvee
A New Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
No, it doesn't validate anything. It just means get off your high horse. You might fool yourself in to thinking you're a perfectly law abiding citizen (read law-abiding, not lore abiding) citizen. I just know you would say it the second way. But no matter how much you try to throw this on me, no matter how much you try to shift it around to suit you. You aren't fooling me, so you can give it up. Even if you are convinced that breaking non-car related laws is ok.
And i never said i condone crossing the tracks early, i just admitted to having done it before. See, i am ok with telling how it is. I could lie and tell everyone how perfect i am at obeying the law. Nobody on here could prove otherwise. But then i would sound just like you. That wouldn't be a good thing. Are you just trying to pick fights, or do you really feel like you have a point?
dude ur the one trying to pick a fight... moron? silly? high horse? lier??
I never said I was a perfectly law abiding citizen. I do however obey all the road laws and am proud of that fact. Your the one trying to twist what I say and then call me a lier for it.
Then you get on your high horse and make it sound like we should admire you for the fact that you admit to crossing while the lights are still flashing and that i'm pretending to be perfect.
when it comes to driving I have indeed held a perfect record without a single traffic infringement for 21 years. Not even a parking fine. And NO I dont do 61 in a 60 zone. I use my cruise control as much as possible and set it at exactly the speed limit. Now seeing my 2 GPSs tell me that my speedo is 2kmph out, when I go down a hill with the cruise control on and my speedo says 61 or 62 im actually doing 59 or 60. So NO not even 1 kmph over.

When I said I follow the law I was referring to driving seeing this is a car forum i figured you'd understand that......

I also never said it was ok to break non-car related laws. thats just you once again trying to twist what I say to justify your actions.

My point is the law is the law. obey it or be prepared to lose your license and don't get angry with ppl who DO obey the law.

I have called you silly and stupid because you not only say that you jump the flashing lights, but u also try to justify why you break the law by claiming that under some law (somewhere on the planet I guess) it's ok to jump them when u think it's safe to do so. I then said you should have your car and license removed because you openly break the law. Which is the view of many many people as well as the view of the law.

In contrast, you have called me a lier several times as well as a moron and inferred things that are compleately untrue about me. Made odd assumptions and used flawed logic to try and make me look bad, as if you actually know me. Which is very interesting as I am not the one breaking the law. This is quite typical of people who are cought out in the wrong but cant admit it. So I welcome your unsubstantiated, derogitory and offencive words towards me and your attempts at character assasination, because the more you do it, the more people see your true character.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:12 PM   #107
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekpD06P7kiI

Top Gear - British Rail - Car Safety Message
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2009, 07:40 PM   #108
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Benalla last Tuesday afternoon Nunn st level crossing.
I was co-ordinating the safeworking protection in relation to the replacement of the large fluoro sign.
Road traffic management on site and bollards/cones set up. Up goods powering hard through the platform on the standard gauge, F100 crosses as the booms are halfway down,.... maybe he thought it was ok as we had a crane truck fouling the other line. But then again, you know what thought did!
Train passes at around 100+ kmh.
This is a scene that i see most days doing my job, not to mention pedestrian near misses.
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2009, 09:03 PM   #109
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Quote:
dude ur the one trying to pick a fight... moron? silly? high horse? lier??
I never said I was a perfectly law abiding citizen. I do however obey all the road laws and am proud of that fact. Your the one trying to twist what I say and then call me a lier for it.
Then you get on your high horse and make it sound like we should admire you for the fact that you admit to crossing while the lights are still flashing and that i'm pretending to be perfect.
when it comes to driving I have indeed held a perfect record without a single traffic infringement for 21 years. Not even a parking fine. And NO I dont do 61 in a 60 zone. I use my cruise control as much as possible and set it at exactly the speed limit. Now seeing my 2 GPSs tell me that my speedo is 2kmph out, when I go down a hill with the cruise control on and my speedo says 61 or 62 im actually doing 59 or 60. So NO not even 1 kmph over.

When I said I follow the law I was referring to driving seeing this is a car forum i figured you'd understand that......

I also never said it was ok to break non-car related laws. thats just you once again trying to twist what I say to justify your actions.

My point is the law is the law. obey it or be prepared to lose your license and don't get angry with ppl who DO obey the law.

I have called you silly and stupid because you not only say that you jump the flashing lights, but u also try to justify why you break the law by claiming that under some law (somewhere on the planet I guess) it's ok to jump them when u think it's safe to do so. I then said you should have your car and license removed because you openly break the law. Which is the view of many many people as well as the view of the law.

In contrast, you have called me a lier several times as well as a moron and inferred things that are compleately untrue about me. Made odd assumptions and used flawed logic to try and make me look bad, as if you actually know me. Which is very interesting as I am not the one breaking the law. This is quite typical of people who are cought out in the wrong but cant admit it. So I welcome your unsubstantiated, derogitory and offencive words towards me and your attempts at character assasination, because the more you do it, the more people see your true character.
For gods sake you two, give it rest or take it to pm, you have both successfully turned a thread that was rather harmonious and everyone pretty much agreed to a stinking cess pool of slinging crap at each other.

As for running the reds law is law, live by it or pay up but don't whine when you do. As for the extra traffic lights, they are not free, why should my taxes and rego fund extra traffic lights because some morons can not read the road rules? Rant over!

Last edited by geckoGT; 06-07-2009 at 09:09 PM.
geckoGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2009, 09:31 PM   #110
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT

As for running the reds law is law, live by it or pay up but don't whine when you do. As for the extra traffic lights, they are not free, why should my taxes and rego fund extra traffic lights because some morons can not read the road rules? Rant over!
So true, best comment to date!
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2009, 10:51 PM   #111
Joshvee
A New Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
For gods sake you two, give it rest or take it to pm, you have both successfully turned a thread that was rather harmonious and everyone pretty much agreed to a stinking cess pool of slinging crap at each other.
: OK i'll be good now mum.... can I have my car keys back now?... Pleeeease?
Old 07-07-2009, 05:23 AM   #112
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
: OK i'll be good now mum.... can I have my car keys back now?... Pleeeease?

Yes you can, but play nice :
Old 07-07-2009, 10:00 AM   #113
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

I cant believe there is 5 pages about stopping at a red light ?

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Awsome power by XTREME FORD TUNING 500rwkw New ALLOY Block

Awesome exhaust by THE EXHAUST CENTRE MIDLAND

Awesome Kenne Bell Supercharger setup by AGRO! and Bluepower Racing Developments

Now with full DOT approval and Permitted for road use
superpursuit83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2009, 10:29 AM   #114
auMatt
ORSM Ford Cruisers

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Matt's valued contributions in the technical area associated with AU/BA/BF & Terri instrument clusters & ICC's is considered the authoritative guide to work by members in this are of expertise. His contributions stand alone in the forum in this technical  

I have attended many level crossing accidents in my time and I would prefer not to. But people need to realize that trains cant steer and take a long time to brake. When the lights start flashing if it is safe to stop, you stop.

Even though the level crossings are designed to stay ringing unless they can be proven up for at least 25 seconds before operating again doesnt mean that as soon as the booms start lifting you should just take off. One it is unlawful and two , you will come unstuck one day.

Just think of this, you have no chance against a Train, a train will always win when faced against a car at a crossing. And if you do survive , file for bankruptcy because that will be the only way you be able to pay for all the costs. Your insurance company will not cover you as you have broken the law. You will be charged with several offences, they you will have to pay for damage to all the equipment and also pay for loss of revenue while the train needed to be repaired and so on.

Have fun

Contact me for all your Cluster Programming/Repairs & Window switch/ICC colour change for BA/BF/FG Falcons & Territory. Visit my SITE for info.

I Use and Recommend :
Ferntree Gully Auto Salvage
AutoWorks - Keilor
RIP Craig
RIP Samantha
auMatt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2009, 04:26 PM   #115
slo_crossflow
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by COOGES
I remember a taxi driver in Lilydale went through the crossing a bit early and was pulled over by the police. The cop informed him of the fine and demerits he would lose and the cabby pointed out that he only had 1 point left on his licence and that because of this he would lose his income, cab, house and things were a bit strained at home so he was sure he would lose his wife. The policeman went back to his car for a few minutes and on returning just issued a warning, good on him.
I bet you if the Taxi driver had a fare onboard he would of waited
:
Old 07-07-2009, 05:28 PM   #116
downthetrack

Quote:
Originally Posted by auMatt
Just think of this, you have no chance against a Train, a train will always win when faced against a car at a crossing. And if you do survive , file for bankruptcy because that will be the only way you be able to pay for all the costs. Your insurance company will not cover you as you have broken the law. You will be charged with several offences, they you will have to pay for damage to all the equipment and also pay for loss of revenue while the train needed to be repaired and so on.

Have fun
QR i think have a couple of cases on the go at the moment, one due to a collision with a bus a few years back. In the era of private rail operators, you can be sure that they will be pursuing damages, when a new build mainline loco costs around 6 million dollars and a 30yr old dunger still commanding a few hundred grand, you can see why.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:41 PM   #117
potsyfromparkes

I am a train driver and all railway level crossing lights are red. If you saw some of the daredevils and thrillseekers that I see when driving trains, it makes you wonder why state governments do not put cameras on all level crossings.
potsyfromparkes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2009, 06:44 PM   #118
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by potsyfromparkes
I am a train driver and all railway level crossing lights are red. If you saw some of the daredevils and thrillseekers that I see when driving trains, it makes you wonder why state governments do not put cameras on all level crossings.
Feel for ya mate, easy to drive a train but VERY stressfull I would say

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Awsome power by XTREME FORD TUNING 500rwkw New ALLOY Block

Awesome exhaust by THE EXHAUST CENTRE MIDLAND

Awesome Kenne Bell Supercharger setup by AGRO! and Bluepower Racing Developments

Now with full DOT approval and Permitted for road use
superpursuit83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2009, 07:17 PM   #119
slo_crossflow
Starter Motor

A guy told me a story that he was racing a famous steam train in the hills and was cut off at one crossing, quickly went down some back roads and flew through the next crossing with warning lights blazing just in front of the train!, and he said the train driver lean out of the window with a thumbs up smiling!!.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:40 PM   #120
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

A guy told me that he was racing a UFO across australia, but he got hung up in traffic in adelaide and the UFO was in the lead, it ended up the UFO got caught at ayers rock (as it was known back then) and he managed to dive back in front of it. As he dived just in front, the UFO driver leaned out the window and gave him all 10 thumbs up.

Not saying you were not told that story, just doubt the "guy" gave a correct account.