Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 02:56 PM   #91
GTPete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: HULK FRIDAY: ARE GT prices set to tumble?

No need to apologise you have white and gold GT's so all is forgiven!
This user likes this post:
Old 11-10-2014, 02:59 PM   #92
Focusfan

One rule has always applied to collectable cars. The less there are the higher the price. So many will be buying the last series and hiding
them away they will never retain the same collectable value of the older GT models that are rare. Short term they will go much the same as the
rest of the current series and loose value, not as fast but will still drop in value short term.
Then they will gain value as the years pass and suddenly all the collectors will come out selling their $100,000 GT's and they will drop in value
to a point where they will be worth less than when new.
That is my thought, rare is value, not thousands of them in the sheds.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:28 PM   #93
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GXA View Post
I'm in much the same boat. I'm hanging on to mine 'cos I enjoy driving it, and I don't see anything else that tempts. I'm not sweating on the value recovering any time soon.

The arrival of a new model may affect the resale price, but it doesn't make the old one drive any worse.
I think people loose sight of the fact that it just all boils down to this one line.

Its about enjoying the drive if that rocks your boat!

Some here are too concerned about what a car is worth (not even their own cars), what it will be worth in the future, having the latest and greatest, keeping up with the Jones's. Not saying its such a bad thing if thats their fancy but I ain't go no time for dat!

If everything we did was based on economics, we wouldn't be driving big 4 doors V8 sedans. We wouldn't be buying them new. We wouldn't be modifying or going for a drive for the sake of the drive.

Some here are hell bent on justifying their purchases both to themselves and to others ...... but most don't care and just buy from the heart and enjoy.

If this isnt your thing, buy some transport, stay home and count your savings if thats suits. Doesn't bother me nor others I am sure.

If I bought everything I own listening to my head, my god I would be bored. Just enjoy stuff, no matter what you can afford, even if its an EA or the latest and greatest.

Not every decision is based on common sense. The best things are based on the fact .... you only live once.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-10-2014, 03:48 PM   #94
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Where did you get 1300 BA GTs from?

The BA GT / GTP production number is over 3,000.
Who said anything about GTP?? Are you bored??

From what I understand rough build numbers were about 1300 GTs, 900 GTPs and approx 400 Pursuits Not a lot of cars really in the scheme of things.

Getting back to the topic, GT prices may fall they may not, who cares. If your driving a GT unless you over extended yourself financially in buying it you probably won't care too much.

Driving a GT is not about driving the fastest car, I don't care that a FG GT may be faster than my BF GT, I love my BF GT, I bought it because it's an awesome car, I love it and it's not for sale, and most likely will never be for sale in my lifetime.

It's about the driving experience, the ownership experience, etc, if you have never driven a modern GT and only ever been in an XR8 you may think it's similar, and you probably don't understand what driving a GT really is like.

It's like what Harley riders say, "If I have to explain you wouldn't understand anyway." and I believe this rings true for a GT driver as well, a Harley is by no way the fastest bike on the road or the best handling or the cheapest, yet countless people enjoy the ownership experience and the ride daily without ever considering buying a faster or better handling or cheaper bike.

So Hulk if you don't already get it, you probably never will, so no point trying to explain, I have never met a GT owner that will aspire to own an XR8 (even though someone here claims to, but clearly he is not a GT owner, just a XR8 owner)

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 11-10-2014, 04:58 PM   #95
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sums it up perfectly from a GT perspective.
Sensation FG XR8 290kW NA V8, 6spd Automatic

Current Rides
Octane GTF SC V8, 6spd Manual, Manta 3" X pipes and hotdogs
Starlight Lotus Evora S 258kW SC V6, 6spd Manual
3 users like this post:
Old 11-10-2014, 07:41 PM   #96
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTPete View Post
Keep in mind there were a few more Aussies around in 2006 then there were 1971 so its all relative.
Of course Pete, but a little silly to imply a BA GT is rarer than a XY GT based on build numbers alone.

Ford built 5,000,000 Model Ts, I don't see too many around these around
2 users like this post:
Old 11-10-2014, 08:21 PM   #97
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post

From what I understand rough build numbers were about 1300 GTs, 900 GTPs and approx 400 Pursuits Not a lot of cars really in the scheme of things.
You don't understand much then. Way off...3,599 BA GT Sedans built.

GT-Ps not in your count?

GT-F are obviously not a GT either. 40th anniversary must not be a GT.. or the Cobra or the R-spec....
Old 11-10-2014, 09:54 PM   #98
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the prices can do whatever they want - i dont care

i didnt buy a GT to speculate or worry about what other people think

true story bro
4 users like this post:
Old 11-10-2014, 09:58 PM   #99
Kryton

Good thread for a change Hulk.
IMO the everyday model will depreciate for a while then settle out.
Think of the Monaro, thats how i see the GT's price cycle.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:05 PM   #100
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:

Getting back to the topic, GT prices may fall they may not, who cares. If your driving a GT unless you over extended yourself financially in buying it you probably won't care too much.

Driving a GT is not about driving the fastest car, I don't care that a FG GT may be faster than my BF GT, I love my BF GT, I bought it because it's an awesome car, I love it and it's not for sale, and most likely will never be for sale in my lifetime.

It's about the driving experience, the ownership experience, etc, if you have never driven a modern GT and only ever been in an XR8 you may think it's similar, and you probably don't understand what driving a GT really is like.

It's like what Harley riders say, "If I have to explain you wouldn't understand anyway." and I believe this rings true for a GT driver as well, a Harley is by no way the fastest bike on the road or the best handling or the cheapest, yet countless people enjoy the ownership experience and the ride daily without ever considering buying a faster or better handling or cheaper bike.

So Hulk if you don't already get it, you probably never will, so no point trying to explain, I have never met a GT owner that will aspire to own an XR8 (even though someone here claims to, but clearly he is not a GT owner, just a XR8 owner)
I like your passion for the GT, I do.... BUT

Are you telling me in a decades time if the price of a BF GT temporarily hits $200k you won't sell? I think you will tear up your post above and....ahhh.... aherrrn... take the cash and run.

Plenty of GT's for sale at way over the fair price, these predatory sellers are looking for someone just like you, so they don't have to put the hard sell on to convince you of their worth/pedigree.. Why are these people selling at overprice? (Or selling at all?) Do they not share your passion for a GT?

Also driving the FGX xr8 wont be like driving a GT.. It will be better!! Same drivetrain Plus all new model enhancements.. For once it will be xr8 drivers not aspiring to own a GT... The GT owners will be looking up at the xr8 owners..

Last edited by HULK_I6T; 11-10-2014 at 10:12 PM.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:15 PM   #101
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Look up up at XR8 owners? You for real? Will be happy for them but is the type of car you drive just such a class thing for you?

Car snobbery is strong in this one ....

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-10-2014, 10:17 PM   #102
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T View Post

Are you telling me in a decades time if the price of a BF GT temporarily hits $200k you won't sell? I think you will tear up your post above and....ahhh.... aherrrn... take the cash and run.

Plenty of GT's for sale at way over the fair price, these predatory sellers are looking for someone just like you, so they don't have to put the hard sell on to convince you of their worth/pedigree.. Why are these people selling at overprice? (Or selling at all?) Do they not share your passion for a GT?

Also driving the FGX xr8 wont be like driving a GT.. It will be better!! Same drivetrain Plus all new model enhancements.. For once it will be xr8 drivers not aspiring to own a GT... The GT owners will be looking up at the xr8 owners..
If you think he will sell it, you've already missed the point of a GT and you will never understand...

I'd never sell my GTF even if you offered me a million... why? Cause I'll never be able to buy another new GT Falcon.
6 users like this post:
Old 11-10-2014, 10:44 PM   #103
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why does everyone have to like the same thing in your world hulk? Are you unable to accept people like things you do not? Some people like money, some like cars, some love both.

I love my cars and would not sell either of them no matter what the offer, why? Because I don't need money, I have enough of that to be comfortable, what I need are vehicles that make me smile. Both my cars do that in their own way.

Anyone who loves their car should not be looked down on by anyone else who loves cars no matter what they drive. There are very few well loved cars that aren't great bits of machinery in their own special way. Anyone who looks after a car with love should be respected. You may want to look that word up.

Current Rides
3 users like this post:
Old 11-10-2014, 11:38 PM   #104
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

These threads are bringing out the worst in all of us. Divisive , lacking empathy and a sore lack of people's respect for their choices.
I for one wish to apologise if any of my comments have offended any legacy , current and future XR8 owners.....was never my intent and many of the comments here against either car GT or XR8 should have been better thought out before being posted.

Hulk , if you don't get it by now that these cars are purchased with the heart not the head , then you are sorely lacking in emotional intelligence. Not all answers to questions are based on spec sheets and pure logic , if they were , no one in their right mind would be buying a 60-70 k falcon. What you are buying is an "experience" , a fleeting glimpse into your childhood , a split second in Frostys shoes , and the ability to escape the mainstream. We don't buy these cars for basic transport , to many they are hobbies and passions.
Are we sick ? Probably . IS there a cure , probably not , so HULK , stop playing doctor and trying to sell us bogus placebo pills. We don't see in black and white and we don't need to be patronised. We are GT and XR8 owners respectively because we CHOOSE to be, and lucky us that we still have that precious choice for a tiny bit of time left to us.
Peace out......
7 users like this post:
Old 12-10-2014, 12:36 AM   #105
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Hulk is ahead of his time...

There, I said it.

This question should have been posed in 2 years time when the Mustang has had a chance settle in.
Rev heads will be realising what's been missing for the last 40 years...

Hmm...2 doors, Performance...It'll take off I tell ya!
Old 12-10-2014, 01:25 AM   #106
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
XY GT 1557 build
Are you sure that numbers right. I reckon I can see that many on any Friday night.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:40 AM   #107
Juan Loco

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTPete View Post
Keep in mind there were a few more Aussies around in 2006 then there were 1971 so its all relative.
Interesting concept.
It is the current population that drives demand.
Most enthusiasts here would love to own an original GT. Will people still feel the same about the BA GT in 40 years time?

And keep in mind that the OP's question was about the short term...

And here's another thought. Even as a teen in the late 70's/ early 80's, when the GTHO's were only 10 years old, I knew they were the greatest Australian Muscle Car EVER. I don't see the current generation swooning over BA GT's in the same manner.

However this debate does throw up a few interesting side questions:
  1. If you want an FGX XR8, should you join the queue of people paying overs for a new one, or wait for 2nd hand ones to hit the market?
  2. What's a more desirable car? New XR8, or whatever recent FG GT that the same money would buy you?
  3. Which will hold its value better? Pay $5Xk for a new XR8, or spend the same coin on the best GT you can get for that money?

Personally, I am actually liking the XR8. Yet to see it in the flesh, and will really depend on how good the interior is, but on paper it appears better than a GT. R-Spec & 9" rears certainly put it up there, with all the other goodies they have rolled out for the FGX makes it a tempting package.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:08 AM   #108
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks View Post
Are you sure that numbers right. I reckon I can see that many on any Friday night.
Probably way off there were probably about 10,000 Phase 3's made if you believe the stories around.

Just two days ago someone contacted me saying they knew of a mint XY GT for sale, I travelled 150km for a look, as they could not work out how to send photos, when I got there it was a Falcon 500 straight six with a bench seat and collumn shift auto…..but was still asking for GT $$ though

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 12-10-2014, 06:23 AM   #109
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe
Quote:

I think you missed the bolded part. If someone is silly enough to offer me 200K they can have it, for a 100K I will keep it, everyone has their price

I don't NEED the money, even though is would be nice, I do not have any debt and own all my cars and property outright and live comfortably, but more money is always nice, but I really only want more money to buy more cars, never ending cycle….

Quote:

I am sure they are not looking for someone just like me as I don't pay above retail for cars, payed well below retail for most cars I have bought. Investors do not share the passion they are in it for the money.

I think you really do not understand the passion involved in cars, you try to explain an emotional thing with logic, it will never work.

GT owners will never look up at XR8 owners, one is a GT one is XR8, different vehicle I have owned both pretty sure someone driving an EB GT is not longing for an EL XR8 to replace it because it is a newer model. Driving my XB I do not look an an XC GS wishing I could drive that instead as it is newer, I don't even look at FGX XR8 driver aspiring to drive his car, if I wanted his car I would buy it or one like it.

It's got nothing to do with the newest model or latest gadget, it's driving the car you want to drive.

The way you are going on you would be majorly stressed always worried about the latest thing, do you buy every latest phone, car release, TV, computer etc etc, or are you ever happy with what you have, or do you constantly have to compete with the latest gadget??

My dirt bike is 1998 model I ride with guys that have 2012 model bikes, do I want a 2012 model bike?? no if I did I would buy one, but I enjoy riding my bike, does not concern me that it is a 1998 model it does the job I want it to do. Same with my 3 year old iPhone 4 , and 5 year old TV and a million other things I do not care about.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

3 users like this post:
Old 12-10-2014, 07:56 AM   #110
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I debadge all my cars so I guess GT is not for me. XR8 could be a nice sleeper , high in performance - low in attracting unwanted attention ...
Old 12-10-2014, 09:11 AM   #111
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

A car is a car. Buy what you like. If you want to buy a prius do it.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:13 AM   #112
GXA
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by teak81 View Post
....If you want to buy a prius do it.
....yes, but don't tell anyone....

2008 FG GT-E - Lightning Strike
2007 BFII Fairmont Ghia - Seduce
2007 BFII Falcon ES - Ego
Old 12-10-2014, 10:43 AM   #113
Honest Gaza

Would an owner of a GT trade their GT for an FG-X XR8 ? Only they could answer that...but at least the answer would be fact, not opinion.

Am I hoping that the prices of GTs fall because of the introduction of the XR8 ? Of course I am (but that doesn't mean that I think they will).

I have owned a BA XR6T before and I now have an FG XR6 and a Renault Megane RS250. I still miss my XR6T but what I have always wanted is an FPV. Not a GT...an FPV.

I don't care if it is an F6 or a GT...it is the FPV logo that beckons me. I have set a budget at $45K with low KMs and at least FG MkII. This may never eventuate but I am just not prepared to take on a bigger loan any more. So I am hoping like hell that the new XR8 does cause a price drop in the GT and F6 range. If it doesn't, then I guess I won't be sitting my backside in an FPV. Should the XR8 drop in price in a couple of years...it still won't beckon me like hat FPV logo. That's not to say I wouldn't buy one for the right price...but I'd still be envious of that other car next to me with the FPV badge.
2 users like this post:
Old 13-10-2014, 01:21 AM   #114
HULK_I6T
Banned

I've read a few posts about how passionate GT owners are..I get it, I do...

BUT the fact of the matter is the introduction of the FGX xr8 will send GT prices into free fall.. (A rose by any other name would smell as sweet).. Dealers simply won't give you much of a trade in value.. Buyers will buy the new model xr8 or only buy a GT if it's a cut throat price.

whilst the FGX xr8 is offered for sale brand new at mid $50k, it will be near impossible to sell a used GT for anything near the value of a FGX xr8...

Passionate or not, to sell a GT in the next few years means take a heavy bath on price until there are no more FGX xr8s for sale... Then there's the mustang which might hit FGX xr8s resale value which will only hurt GT values further. Passionate GT owners have nothing to worry about as they aren't selling, just drive and enjoy. but for the predatory GT sellers looking to make a buck on them, basically they are closed for business.

Does anyone know mustang pricing?

Last edited by HULK_I6T; 13-10-2014 at 01:36 AM.
Old 13-10-2014, 01:28 AM   #115
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

As a GT owner (modern GT, but nonetheless), I could not give a rats earlobe about how much they are worth.

Any REAL GT owner bought one because they love the car, not because they have wet dreams about a motor vehicle appreciating in monetary value.

Passionate about the "badge" or not. That's irrelevant.
Old 13-10-2014, 07:45 AM   #116
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Define free fall hulk, grab some stats on current prices then give us your prediction on prices in 6 monthly intervals for the next 5 years for second hand GT and second hand Fgx XR8 prices. Break the GT's down by FG5.0, FG5.4, BF5.4 and maybe some of the special editions, black, rspec, 40TH, Cobra.

You argue logic with emotional language on a topic where logic is largely irrelevant. Put some figures around your discussion and argue logic with logic.

Edit, I still don't think you "get it".

Current Rides

Last edited by SensationFG8; 13-10-2014 at 07:51 AM.
Old 13-10-2014, 10:53 AM   #117
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Hulk some of your posts border on argumentative, there is such a thing as healthy discussion but....

While we're on definitions 'Fact of the matter' is not equivalent to 'the world according to Hulk'.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
Old 13-10-2014, 11:07 AM   #118
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
I've read a few posts about how passionate GT owners are..I get it, I do...

BUT the fact of the matter is the introduction of the FGX xr8 will send GT prices into free fall.. (A rose by any other name would smell as sweet).. Dealers simply won't give you much of a trade in value.. Buyers will buy the new model xr8 or only buy a GT if it's a cut throat price.

whilst the FGX xr8 is offered for sale brand new at mid $50k, it will be near impossible to sell a used GT for anything near the value of a FGX xr8...

Passionate or not, to sell a GT in the next few years means take a heavy bath on price until there are no more FGX xr8s for sale... Then there's the mustang which might hit FGX xr8s resale value which will only hurt GT values further. Passionate GT owners have nothing to worry about as they aren't selling, just drive and enjoy. but for the predatory GT sellers looking to make a buck on them, basically they are closed for business.

Does anyone know mustang pricing?
XR8 on the road is going to be just shy of $60k for manual, and just on $60k for auto, or thereabouts.

Mustang pricing starts in low 50s for the ecoboost, and $60k+ for the V8. Mustang is a 4 seater, XR8 is a 5 seater. The 2 are not really competition for each other, and neither are competition for a second hand GT, for those who WANT a GT. They may be competition for those that want a late model Ford/FPV V8 - any V8, but anyone wanting a GT will be looking for a GT, and will NOT settle for an XR8, because it's not a GT....

It is dangerous to assume that just because you might buy an XR8 because it's newer and cheaper than a GT, that everyone would - fact is, most wouldn't.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
Old 13-10-2014, 12:52 PM   #119
HULK_I6T
Banned

GT owners are never going to concede that the FGX XR8 will hurt resale value of a GT.

The proof will be in the pudding. Lets give it 6 months and see what the market says.
Old 13-10-2014, 12:55 PM   #120
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Still no actual predictions though...

Good night.

Current Rides
Closed Thread