Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2021, 11:35 AM   #12181
lumen8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Since we're here, I saw this one doing the rounds...

I guess the 3rd needle is the booster shot?
Old 08-07-2021, 12:01 PM   #12182
lumen8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting article on the Australian Financial Review, its behind a paywall though.

Facts on COVID-19 that politicians won’t tell you

https://www.afr.com/politics/federal...0210705-p586za

Incog window + IP reset + search the bolded title and click on it from google instead of my link... and it all seems to be there for me... your mileage may vary though.
Old 08-07-2021, 12:05 PM   #12183
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT July 7th 2021.

Note
: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

32 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 2.949%.

5 new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 0.941% and active cases 40.

The UK had a higher 32,048 cases yesterday and lower 33 deaths.

A higher 17,314 new cases in the USA yesterday and higher 187 deaths sees CMR at 1.795%.

Other notable points:
Africa sets a new daily high with 43,725 cases;

Fiji (791);
Cyprus (952);
Zimbabwe (2,264);
Myanmar (3,947);
Cuba (3,644);
Thailand (6,519);
Tunisia (9,823); and
Indonesia (34,379)

... all recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Spain, Senegal and Algeria move above the 90th percentile for the 10 day period while Bolivia drops below.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Last edited by russellw; 09-07-2021 at 11:07 AM.
2 users like this post:
Old 08-07-2021, 12:09 PM   #12184
lumen8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
Test me for Covid sure!, but at the end of the day, NO Australian government has THE RIGHT to blatantly turn their back on their own citizens!
War, catastrophe, pandemic… I don’t care!
It is MY bloody right to be able to freely travel to the country on the front of my passport!!
Have a REAL hard think about this!
Australian citizens basic human rights have been thrown out the door, and Australians are clapping their hands!! (Thanks to MSM, and inept leaders)
It’s a damn disgrace!!

For the record… I am NOT trying to get back!… My issue is it is MY RIGHT to be allowed if I desire!!
Yea look its a s***ty situation for many. And you have those that say "we'll , govt warned you to come back" etc etc.

And while that advice or warning was put out, peoples situations are not always so simple, black and white, there are variables in peoples individual circumstances.

Some abroad were employed... and arent anymore, and have to come back. Their employment has been terminated for reasons out of their control.

Some, probably understandably, wanted to wait it out as they had reasons for being abroad.. not knowing this would last so long.. and are now running out of money, or visa etc, ie not allowed to be where they are anymore.

Some have partners overseas, or unwell relatives, and chose to stay, then eventually want or need to return.

I have perused some of the groups online and there are all kinds of situations and stories out there.

And now its even more frustrating in a sense for them when they can now move about so freely abroad, in many instances just with a negative test being the only hurdle at the airport. They are living one reality where they are and being presented with another when it comes to attempting to return.

I saw one woman posted a pic on a plane in the US, domestic flight, she had some Australian people attack her on fb, saying things like stay away, you are lying the plane isnt full (it was full) , and going into tirades about not paying aussie tax.. also false as one does have to pay tax even if earned abroad as a citizen of oz. This woman wants to return to Australia because she lost her job in the US, and cant.

NZ seems to do ok letting citizens back in, id have to go look at the numbers again but I recall it being more than Australia, perhaps even outright not just per capita.

I will also add, the very small handful of people denied entry from abroad or travel across states to see dying parents/relatives... very very cruel. And the entire world is watching, often in disbelief.

You would think exemptions could be granted albeit with precautions put in place, when its such small numbers of people in those circumstances.

But when Hugh Jackman etc want to cruise in, no probs.

Last edited by lumen8; 08-07-2021 at 12:20 PM.
5 users like this post:
Old 08-07-2021, 12:23 PM   #12185
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

deleted

Last edited by five 7; 08-07-2021 at 12:36 PM.
Old 08-07-2021, 12:43 PM   #12186
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
I’ll preface this by saying, in no way are my following comments directed at you mate! I DO understand where you’re coming from.

They are directed at the typical “I’m ok Jack, feck you” attitude that exists and has massively escalated since this pandemic began.
They are directed at those warm and comfy unadventurous souls, that live their typically boring mundane lives, venturing no further than, maybe the Gold Coast for their annual hols… These same souls, typing madly away on social media espousing their wrath against “these poor citizens”
AUSTRALIAN citizens, who have the sheer audacity to EXPECT to be able to return to THEIR HOME country!…
“Oh, you were warned”, “you should have upped tents & camels and been back 18 months ago”,.. “Bad luck buddy, ya missed the bus”, “It’s all on you d…head, for not listening to the God almighty Politicians that manage Australia”
The very same Australia that I was born in, (as were at least 3 generations of my ancestors) The same Australia I paid 50+ years of taxes to, The same Australia that issued the Passport I carry.
That SAME passport that not too long ago, allowed me unlimited free exit and entry…
So now, I’m WHAT? An undesirable?, An unwanted Australian? (Because I’m still overseas) A refugee? (To be housed in their previous accommodation anyhow)
Test me for Covid sure!, but at the end of the day, NO Australian government has THE RIGHT to blatantly turn their back on their own citizens!
War, catastrophe, pandemic… I don’t care!
It is MY bloody right to be able to freely travel to the country on the front of my passport!!
Have a REAL hard think about this!
Australian citizens basic human rights have been thrown out the door, and Australians are clapping their hands!! (Thanks to MSM, and inept leaders)
It’s a damn disgrace!!

For the record… I am NOT trying to get back!… My issue is it is MY RIGHT to be allowed if I desire!!
Full agreement with your statement; the politicians in this country have done a good job locking state & international borders up and having Australians turn on each other, this topic proves it with some of the comments I've read here and elsewhere in MSM.
Hang in their buddy as there is Australians who do still support you and others having the right to come home to your country.
Some of our freedoms is being stifled unnecessary contrary to this pandemic.

Cheers
Old 08-07-2021, 12:48 PM   #12187
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=lumen8;6599989]

NZ seems to do ok letting citizens back in, id have to go look at the numbers again but I recall it being more than Australia, perhaps even outright not just per capita.

We can come and go, there is no restriction on that, the problem is limited MIQ beds and a really cr*p booking system, which i think is done on purpose to slow things down, but yep if your a celeb or sports team you can travel with ease.
2 users like this post:
Old 08-07-2021, 12:55 PM   #12188
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumen8 View Post
Yea look its a s***ty situation for many. And you have those that say "we'll , govt warned you to come back" etc etc.

And while that advice or warning was put out, peoples situations are not always so simple, black and white, there are variables in peoples individual circumstances.

Some abroad were employed... and arent anymore, and have to come back. Their employment has been terminated for reasons out of their control.

Some, probably understandably, wanted to wait it out as they had reasons for being abroad.. not knowing this would last so long.. and are now running out of money, or visa etc, ie not allowed to be where they are anymore.

Some have partners overseas, or unwell relatives, and chose to stay, then eventually want or need to return.

I have perused some of the groups online and there are all kinds of situations and stories out there.

And now its even more frustrating in a sense for them when they can now move about so freely abroad, in many instances just with a negative test being the only hurdle at the airport. They are living one reality where they are and being presented with another when it comes to attempting to return.

I saw one woman posted a pic on a plane in the US, domestic flight, she had some Australian people attack her on fb, saying things like stay away, you are lying the plane isnt full (it was full) , and going into tirades about not paying aussie tax.. also false as one does have to pay tax even if earned abroad as a citizen of oz. This woman wants to return to Australia because she lost her job in the US, and cant.

I will also add, the very small handful of people denied entry from abroad or travel across states to see dying parents/relatives... very very cruel. And the entire world is watching, often in disbelief.

You would think exemptions could be granted albeit with precautions put in place, when its such small numbers of people in those circumstances.

But when Hugh Jackman etc want to cruise in, no probs.
Re: Full planes… I have traveled twice to Mexico from here (Costa Rica) this year, both times, each way, plane at 100% capacity… Temp taken at boarding, mandatory masks, and compulsive health insurance required for entry back into C/R… No test in either country… And, yes most countries now have taxation sharing info happening (especially since the”Panama papers”, where all the pollies had their wealth in offshore tax havens) Anyhow I’m off topic.
I don’t have statistics, but are there any other countries banning their own citizens returning?? Serious Question
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
3 users like this post:
Old 08-07-2021, 01:01 PM   #12189
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
This is where it gets interesting. You are technically allowed to come back.....IF you can find a way to get here. The only time they placed a ban was during the initial outbreak (China, South Korea, Italy, Iran... I think?) and more recently India. Aside from that, there has been no ban, just limited quarantine spaces which limited flights. If people can find a way to get here, they are free to enter, as far as I'm aware.

Those responsible for international quarantine (trying not be political) SHOULD have done their job.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
6 users like this post:
Old 08-07-2021, 01:03 PM   #12190
tweeked
N/A all the way

[QUOTE=five 7;6600004]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumen8 View Post

We can come and go, there is no restriction on that, the problem is limited MIQ beds and a really cr*p booking system, which i think is done on purpose to slow things down, but yep if your a celeb or sports team you can travel with ease.
NZ definately has a cap. MIQ cap is 4000 per fortnight, that is how many vouchers are available. Australia had 64000 return citizens and visa holders in May, (not including anoth 40,000 odd NZers visiting.)

So not much was correct in your post.

Old 08-07-2021, 01:17 PM   #12191
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
…I don’t have statistics, but are there any other countries banning their own citizens returning?? Serious Question
I’ve been trying to ascertain this, as well. (I realise it’s not literally a “ban” but a weasel tactic to achieve the same result.)

Also I wonder why we can’t organise/regulate home quarantine as an earner for people with suitable properties. Combine it with a tracking bracelet and the setup should be fairly sound.
This user likes this post:
Old 08-07-2021, 01:25 PM   #12192
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

I spose “technically” I am NOT “banned” from re-entry to Aus?
Ok, I have both jabs, as well as a negative covid test for travel, pay upwards of US$25k (for a guaranteed seat) for a one way ticket from West coast of America to Australia… And then also need to quarantine? (At MY expense!)
Sounds awfully like they don’t want me back??
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Old 08-07-2021, 01:35 PM   #12193
lumen8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked View Post
NZ definately has a cap. MIQ cap is 4000 per fortnight, that is how many vouchers are available. Australia had 64000 return citizens and visa holders in May, (not including anoth 40,000 odd NZers visiting.)

So not much was correct in your post.
Ok i stand corrected on that, their intake numbers are lower than I thought they were.

On the plus side they can travel out though if they want to/need to.

Quote:
I don’t have statistics, but are there any other countries banning their own citizens returning?? Serious Question
It would be few and far between where they have such restrictions on incoming, and outgoing. Perhaps none in regards to citizens returning. If anyone knows of any post them up.

And yes as mentioned technically people can return, but the tickets are now in the tens of thousands of dollars apparently as mentioned.
2 users like this post:
Old 08-07-2021, 01:52 PM   #12194
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
...........And then also need to quarantine? (At MY expense!)
Unfortunately, for now, it is a necessary evil to protect the 26m Australians (minus the 10% who don't need protecting) already here. Again, if those responsible for vaccination had done their job, quarantine for vaccinated arrivals would have soon been a thing of the past, Phase 4.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know of someone who wanted to come back, but couldn't? I know of many people who have come back, some more than once, and the longest one had to wait was around 8 weeks.

Rides (past and present)
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

Old 08-07-2021, 02:22 PM   #12195
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Unfortunately, for now, it is a necessary evil to protect the 26m Australians (minus the 10% who don't need protecting) already here. Again, if those responsible for vaccination had done their job, quarantine for vaccinated arrivals would have soon been a thing of the past, Phase 4.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know of someone who wanted to come back, but couldn't? I know of many people who have come back, some more than once, and the longest one had to wait was around 8 weeks.
I do know of someone who wants to leave and isnt allowed. Although apparently the onboarding country are not letting people from Australia in which sounds weird but the story I am getting (Philippines).

Person is 37 yo so cant get a job yet anyway to fly...
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
2 users like this post:
Old 08-07-2021, 03:21 PM   #12196
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:

Yep. Father in law stuck in China for a year. He is an electrical engineer, had a 2 year contract over there. Managed to buy a ticket 6 months ago for $1400, flight got cancelled. $26,000 now if you can get one. He is staying with a family there until he can get out, expecting early next year now.

3 users like this post:
Old 08-07-2021, 03:59 PM   #12197
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodahs View Post
and yet 5 of the 6 from the out brake at the age care facility after this event was vacinated
but none of the residents were showing symptoms, and were only hospitalised as a precaution. would they have been so lucky had they not been vaccinated?
Old 08-07-2021, 04:16 PM   #12198
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

West Australian Premier Mark McGowan has warned of a 'permanent' hard border with NSW.

https://www.9news.com.au/videos/heal...320hpoy8n2mnda

NSW Premier responds to reports WA is considering ongoing hard border

https://www.9news.com.au/national/co...arning-_080721

Quote:
Berejiklian........"At least he is consistent," she said.

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Old 08-07-2021, 04:37 PM   #12199
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
West Australian Premier Mark McGowan has warned of a 'permanent' hard border with NSW.
I bet it wont apply to freight....
6 users like this post:
Old 08-07-2021, 04:54 PM   #12200
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:

Know of a few who came back. Know one client who is flying out to the states next Wednesday she (75 years young) was given the Ok. They didn't dare denign her, Human rights Lawyer. She reckons she'll be gone for 4 months.

3 users like this post:
Old 08-07-2021, 06:06 PM   #12201
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"Health Minister Martin Foley said he would not rule out a hard border with NSW and warned more local government areas could be declared “red zones” as the coronavirus crisis deepens across Greater Sydney."

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/v...08-p587uk.html

As for QLD, feel Anna has backed herself into a corner now. Any new restrictions invoked will put added pressure on her trip to Japan.

Rides (past and present)

Old 08-07-2021, 06:24 PM   #12202
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
I’ll preface this by saying, in no way are my following comments directed at you mate! I DO understand where you’re coming from.
All good Charliewood, was replying to a comment about perceived anti vaxers running fowl of a non existent law, then given a long speil about whats good for me by someone on a forum.
Re reading that......I don't think I ever mentioned being against a vaccine or returning dual citizens. Personally I like working OS.

2 users like this post:
Old 08-07-2021, 06:48 PM   #12203
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Ok, I have both jabs, as well as a negative covid test for travel, pay upwards of US$25k (for a guaranteed seat) for a one way ticket from West coast of America to Australia… And then also need to quarantine? (At MY expense!)
Serves you right for not being rich and famous. Then you could get straight back in

They probably don’t even need to wait.
Old 08-07-2021, 07:25 PM   #12204
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

PM urges earlier AstraZeneca second doses
https://thewest.com.au/news/coronavi...jabs-c-3339771

Quote:
Scott Morrison has urged locked down Australians to receive a second AstraZeneca dose within eight weeks of their first jab.
How long should you wait to get the second AstraZeneca jab?
https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2...oses/100259926

Quote:
A study published earlier this year in The Lancet found that a single dose of AstraZeneca is 76 per cent effective in the first 90 days.

Receiving a second dose 12 weeks or more after the first can kick this protection up to 82.4 per cent.

But this efficacy dropped to around 55 per cent if the second jab was given less than six weeks after the first, the study found.

Rides (past and present)

Old 08-07-2021, 07:51 PM   #12205
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Well, let's be honest about this, you are a Western Bulldogs supporter
4 users like this post:
Old 08-07-2021, 07:53 PM   #12206
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodahs View Post
and yet 5 of the 6 from the out brake at the age care facility after this event was vacinated

So 5 out of 6 of them have their brakes outside of their car after doing the vacinated?"

cool...

Must be old cars...

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
3 users like this post:
Old 08-07-2021, 08:22 PM   #12207
Pies1

Gold standard Gladys
Old 08-07-2021, 08:28 PM   #12208
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
Well, let's be honest about this, you are a Western Bulldogs supporter
jebus
Old 08-07-2021, 09:40 PM   #12209
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
but none of the residents were showing symptoms, and were only hospitalised as a precaution. would they have been so lucky had they not been vaccinated?
yes it could of been worse
and yet it didnt protect them to the gold standard as suggested in the post i quoted
and as your statement that i quoted
these from the age care facility shouldnt have been infected at all , because they had been vaccinated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
of the 30 attendees at the West Hoxton party, the only 6 people that werent infected, were the ones that had been vaccinated.
or are you now saying the person you quoted was correct
Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
so a 'vaccine' that doesnt prevent you from getting covid, just lessen the affect is a way of being covid free?

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
Old 08-07-2021, 09:55 PM   #12210
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Never mind the GSS, QLD has me irked. First a number of people have been excluded from dying family - the way Sarah Caisip was stalked by the media in her social-distanced, PPE-suited, no-contact-allowed grieving was a memorable low point. Moving along, we have a blanket statement that young people shouldn’t get a certain vaccine because of risk of health issues. Then a statement from the same utterer, praising the heroics of medical staff who rushed to save someone despite their lack of PPE. And a Premier who is saying that teleconferencing doesn’t cut it for a significant business occasion yet it was plenty good enough for others to watch family die on Skype or Zoom.

I’m no fan of Premier Berejiklian or her party, but believe she has shown more consistency than the leadership in Queensland. My concern at the present moment, is that the approach of heavy-handed police monitoring in suburbs where they seem to often encounter friction already, could be inflaming - not helping - the progress of outbreak tracking and mitigation.
Closed Thread