Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 03-09-2012, 02:04 AM   #1201
IDT
Marko

Default Re: Who works in the mines and what doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs
http://www.news.com.au/business/here...-1226462427189
Is the boom coming to an end ? I met 2 contractors that got the flick in the last week...... They both said it is starting to get a bit grim. With the price of coal at the moment and the labour costs, is the boom sustainable ?
Not from what I can see. I would take the grim news with a grain of salt. Its pretty regular for Resource Sector Construction Projects to be postponed if labour looks like it will be either not achievable or stupidly expensive.

I heard a rumour that one of the main reasons the Olymic Dam (BHP)expansion was pulled up was that they couldn't get enough bidders for contracts as the companies who know how to build these kinds of expansions are all flat out. The boss at Monadelphous said a slow down would be good so they could catch up!
Old 03-09-2012, 10:05 AM   #1202
H.G
Driver Returns On Foot

4 day generics??? damn.. is that underground?
H.G is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2012, 09:43 PM   #1203
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

read between the lines.. sorry but its too expensive to do this in oz.... we follow cheaper third world options.....

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/kloppe...-1226464115853
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2012, 07:43 AM   #1204
druxr6t

Got a call last night from Skilled in regards to the Roy Hill Project. Looks like my details are being passed through to contractors now, obviously doesn't mean I have secured anything but sounds like I am one step closer! It's a construction position as a plumber and 4:1.

Fingers crossed it might be a foot in the door.
druxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2012, 10:44 AM   #1205
Motorbreath310

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.G
4 day generics??? damn.. is that underground?
It's usually done in a simulated underground environment like a basement with black walls. They put you through a number of exercises including one where they fill the place with misty stuff to simulate smoke and recreate an underground fire and you have to navigate your way out as a team wearing CABA (compressed air breathing apparatus) suits. It's all fairly straightforward it's basically to educate you on the most basic principles of safety and self escape in an underground mine. You also do a bit of theory paperwork and some isolation and lockout training. Basically everyone who works underground must possess a generic underground induction and you also have to do one day refreshers every year. Usually whoever you work for pays for these.
Motorbreath310 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2012, 11:04 PM   #1206
IDT
Marko

Quote:
Originally Posted by druxr6t
Got a call last night from Skilled in regards to the Roy Hill Project. Looks like my details are being passed through to contractors now, obviously doesn't mean I have secured anything but sounds like I am one step closer! It's a construction position as a plumber and 4:1.

On the site or on the rail project?
Old 05-09-2012, 12:44 AM   #1207
LyleXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ive commented a bit in this thread but unsure if ive said what i do, i work in an open cut gold mine, started out on 793C&F trucks then got onto exavators, spend most of my time on a Komatsu PC2000 doing batters and cleanups around the place and load 777 and 793s when in tight areas where we cant get the shovels or wheel loaders into
LyleXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2012, 08:30 AM   #1208
druxr6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDT
On the site or on the rail project?
On the site.

Also had another call about a job that is 2:2 roster. Entry level position with 65k for Gas Mining Company. Very close to home. Finger crossed! Interview seemed to go well, went for nearly 40 minutes but find out in the next two days if I get a formal interview.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:09 AM   #1209
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Somthing to keep an eye on....

Fortescue cuts jobs and expansion plans

http://bigpondnews.com/articles/TopS...ans_RSS_040912

Quote:
Wednesday, September 05, 2012 » 05:56am

Fortescue Metals Group will cut staff numbers and defer expansion work due to rapidly falling iron ore prices.

Australia's third-largest iron ore producer has sliced its ambitious growth target, blaming volatile commodity markets and uncertainty about future iron ore price movements.

Analysts say the country's biggest iron ore producers - BHP Billiton and Rio Tinto - could follow suit.

Fortescue's new near-term growth target is 115 million tonnes of iron ore per annum, well down on its previous target of 155 million tonnes per annum.

It has deferred the development of the Kings deposit within its Solomon mining hub in the Pilbara, and the full completion of its fourth berth at Herb Elliott Port, until ore prices return to more sustainable levels.

The deferrals will reduce Fortescue's capital expenditure forecast for the 2012/13 financial year to $US4.6 billion ($A4.51 billion), down from the previous guidance of $US6.2 billion.

Production forecasts for 2012/13 have also been revised, to a range of 82 million tonnes to 84 million tonnes, down from previous guidance of 86.5 million tonnes.

Immediate cuts to operating costs and an unspecified number of jobs will save $300 million, chief executive Nev Power said.

However, Fortescue will continue expanding its Christmas Creek mine, and commission the low-cost Firetail deposit at the Solomon mine.

'These measures reflect the company's ability to reduce and delay cash expenditures to meet market conditions and provide us with head room in the event of further deterioration of iron ore prices,' Mr Power said in a statement on Tuesday.

'We are confident that the underlying fundamentals of the Chinese economy are strong and we believe iron ore prices will rebound in the medium term.

'However, we have moved quickly to strengthen the balance sheet.'

Mr Power last week blamed recent falls in the spot price of iron ore on Fortescue's customers - Chinese steel mills - which were running down inventories instead of producing more steel.

BHP, Rio and Fortescue are dependent on continued Chinese demand to earn returns on the billions of dollars they have committed to expanding iron ore production in the Pilbara region of Western Australia.

City Index analyst Peter Esho said other miners could follow Fortescue's lead of spending cuts.

'We are likely to see BHP and Rio Tinto following on from Fortescue and cautioning against the supply of their ore in order to support the iron ore price,' he said.

'Each company will have its own way of going about achieving this, not all will follow in the same way Fortescue has.'

In August, Fortescue reported a 53 per cent rise in full year profit to $US1.56 billion ($A1.49 billion).

Fortescue shares had been higher after Tuesday's announcement, but were down eight cents at $3.50 at 1210 AEST.

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2012, 11:14 PM   #1210
IDT
Marko

Quote:
On the site.

Also had another call about a job that is 2:2 roster. Entry level position with 65k for Gas Mining Company. Very close to home. Finger crossed! Interview seemed to go well, went for nearly 40 minutes but find out in the next two days if I get a formal interview.
Seems when it rains it pours
If you do head up to Roy Hill may run into each other if/when you do your 4WD training. That is if you haven't the quals they ask for already. Skilled and Roy Hill have accounts with us. If the Oil and Gas job is Chevron than more than likely you will end up coming through. Either way good hunting!
Old 06-09-2012, 07:27 AM   #1211
druxr6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDT
Seems when it rains it pours
If you do head up to Roy Hill may run into each other if/when you do your 4WD training. That is if you haven't the quals they ask for already. Skilled and Roy Hill have accounts with us. If the Oil and Gas job is Chevron than more than likely you will end up coming through. Either way good hunting!
Thank god as well, I am sick of my current job and want out!

All my focus is on this 2:2 gas mining job, though worst case scenario - I'll happily do 4:1 at Roy Hill. What are you doing in terms of work over there?

*fingers crossed I find out today about next interview*
Old 06-09-2012, 03:49 PM   #1212
wicksy
Just a bogan VF SS driver

my dad got made redundant, he was one of the supervisors, been in the game for over 25yrs, first time its happened to him
mate who is a trainer accessor, tickets on everything, shotfirer, supervsior, he got laid off,
hopefully its just a little downturn thats it
Old 06-09-2012, 05:30 PM   #1213
I reckon
Banned

what do you guys do when you get toey working away soooooooo long?

you would get sick of beating it around the head lol
I reckon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2012, 06:30 PM   #1214
B&D Racing
Banned

The product isn't going anywhere... it is just a slow down
B&D Racing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2012, 06:30 PM   #1215
H.G
Driver Returns On Foot

look in the paper.. there are always girls willing to help you out lol..
Old 06-09-2012, 06:44 PM   #1216
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Well I got my letter of offer so I believe I am officially off to BRI in Jan 2013! Cant wait to get stuck into it.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2012, 06:57 PM   #1217
B&D Racing
Banned

Why 1700 Skilled Migrants is Good News for the Australian Jobseeker
Posted: 28/05/2012 5:00:00 AM by AMMA Mining Oil and Gas Jobs
Filed under: Job-seekers, Mining, Construction

Last week the first enterprise migration agreement (EMA) was signed between the Australian government and Roy Hill iron ore project operated by Gina Rinehart. It was widely reported more than 1700 skilled migrants will be brought into Australia over the next three years to work on that project. What didn’t get as much column space was just how many Australian workers are going to benefit from the same project.
The facts about EMAs

Lots of misinformation has been floating around about the EMA program along with an awful lot of hype. Here are some facts not often discussed:
An EMA can only be granted to projects where capital expenditure is in excess of $2billion.
The workforce for a project awarded an EMA must be greater than 1500 workers.
Migrant workers brought in under an EMA must be paid Australian wages and provided the same working conditions as any other Australian worker.
An employer bringing in migrant workers has an obligation to train at least an equal number of Australian workers.
Skilled migrants are coming in on temporary work visas, not permanent residency visas.
The Australian government has constructed these agreements to benefit the Australian workforce for the long term, while ensuring the short-term needs of the construction projects will be filled.
How Australians benefit from the Roy Hill project

While 1,700-1,800 skilled migrant workers will be brought into Australia during the construction phase of Roy Hill, the project will employ 8,000 people in total. This means the vast majority of the workforce will be Australian. In addition, Hancock Prospecting is obligated to train 2000 Australian workers in exchange for the short-term migration visas. About 83% of the $10 billion budget for Roy Hill will be spent on Australian workers on Australian manufactured, constructed or assembled goods.
The takeaway for Australian jobseekers

Australia is suffering from a significant skills shortage at the very moment massive projects are ready for construction. 10,000 people in the country are currently in apprenticeship programs but these take four years to complete. Skilled migrants are required as a temporary skills injection for the short term to ensure jobs for 8,000 skilled Australians.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:54 PM   #1218
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

And all those skilled migrants will leave without a peep? Hmmm
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 07-09-2012, 12:42 AM   #1219
IDT
Marko

Quote:
Thank god as well, I am sick of my current job and want out!

All my focus is on this 2:2 gas mining job, though worst case scenario - I'll happily do 4:1 at Roy Hill. What are you doing in terms of work over there?

*fingers crossed I find out today about next interview*
My company does minesite 4WD and truck driver training in Perth and on site. Most of our business is training guys heading north. Being a tradie its likely that they will send you on your courses before you head to site.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:58 PM   #1220
I reckon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.G
look in the paper.. there are always girls willing to help you out lol..
speaking from experience?
I reckon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2012, 05:57 PM   #1221
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
And all those skilled migrants will leave without a peep? Hmmm
much prefer a skilled worker with a work ethic staying here than some free loading boat bozo..
Old 07-09-2012, 06:45 PM   #1222
05_ENFORCER

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
much prefer a skilled worker with a work ethic staying here than some free loading boat bozo..
Unfortunately, you and I won't have a say in that mate

Old 07-09-2012, 07:02 PM   #1223
H.G
Driver Returns On Foot

printed everyday in the personals section of the morning bulletin.. no doubt each regions paper has these friendly girls willing to help a fella out haha
Old 08-09-2012, 06:32 PM   #1224
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Well I got my letter of offer so I believe I am officially off to BRI in Jan 2013! Cant wait to get stuck into it.
congrats man.. good to hear..
Old 08-09-2012, 07:19 PM   #1225
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Keep the trash talk out of the thread..

================================================== =======

For years the mining company's threw big dollars at wages, flights and incentive's to attract a workforce from all parts of Australia, now things are getting a bit tighter there crying its expensive to mine in Australia, they have had a hand creating the expensiveness of mining.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2012, 08:09 PM   #1226
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au...s-flying-high/
Some interesting comments after the article.....
Old 08-09-2012, 08:41 PM   #1227
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
congrats man.. good to hear..
Thanks! Graduated in June been applying since April! Heard nothing but knock backs for ages but the last few weeks has been good. Ive pretty much jumped at the first good offer because places can be hard to get.

Thanks for your advice previously too.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 09-09-2012, 02:15 PM   #1228
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

interesting to see how this pans out.... one of the local relative CBD radelaide mines..

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/busine...-1226467486343
Old 09-09-2012, 02:30 PM   #1229
go_ford

Quote:

damn, that was the job I wanted to apply for just not able to yet, if you get the job let me know how it is and also how the money is.

Last edited by go_ford; 09-09-2012 at 02:37 PM.
go_ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2012, 02:40 PM   #1230
B&D Racing
Banned

Have a read

http://www.miningjobsnoexperience.ne...g-jobs-monday/