Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2021, 06:30 AM   #13441
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Another one..............

https://www.news.com.au/world/north-...f96f771543fb09
This user likes this post:
Old 10-08-2021, 06:48 AM   #13442
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hear this morning that the decision makers for the handling of the NSW COVID outbreak have been asked to front a Parliamentary upper house’s COVID-19 oversight committee to explain their actions. Interestingly it appears that Aunty Glad hasn't been called (is someone going to get thrown under the bus?)

Obviously they are concerned about the way it has been handled

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/nsw/...09-p58h84.html
3 users like this post:
Old 10-08-2021, 07:34 AM   #13443
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
I know all Americans are not like him, RIP, but wow what a cliché.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
3 users like this post:
Old 10-08-2021, 08:59 AM   #13444
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Hopefully his demise will help others of the same (his previous) persuasion make the right decision, my biggest hope though is that no one who took his previous advice have ended up in the same situation as he is now because of it.

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
4 users like this post:
Old 10-08-2021, 10:03 AM   #13445
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

A couple of posts on yesterday's ABC live blog that I thought were interesting:

Quote:
Sydney COVID-19 patients redirected to Wollongong Hospital as 'serious' NSW outbreak continues
By Ainslie Drewitt-Smith

COVID-19 patients from Greater Sydney are being re-directed to the Illawarra region as health facilities in the city begin to feel the pressure of the growing Delta outbreak in New South Wales.

On Monday, there were 349 people being treated in hospital for COVID-19 across the state and 67 patients in intensive care.

Over the weekend, seven patients were transferred to Wollongong Hospital, including some who could not be accommodated by the stretched Liverpool Hospital.

Wollongong surgeon Bruce Ashford has been helping to coordinate the program dubbed Operation Assist and said the Illawarra has been well prepared and equipped to treat additional patients.

"Wollongong is probably the most prepared hospital in NSW for COVID," Dr Ashford said.

"We've spent the last 18 months preparing for a major influx of patients whether from the local community or from elsewhere.

"If you imagine we've got a whole hospital of COVID positive patients in NSW, I think it's an indication the situation is pretty serious.

"That's why we have said when the chips are down, Wollongong has got to be prepared to step up."
and

Quote:
NSW: ICU manager urges residents to get vaccinated as patients rise
The manager of the intensive care unit at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital in Sydney, Richard Totaro, say staff are looking after patients who were otherwise physically fit with no underlying health conditions.

"The remarkable thing about this disease is how incredibly sick patients can become," he said.

"It's a really difficult, really complex disease."

He urged everyone over 18 to get vaccinated, warning that complications from COVID-19 could stretch on for months.

There are 67 people in ICU in NSW.
Given the discussion in this thread previously regarding COVID cases and comorbidity issues, I was wondering whether this was a factor in the cases and deaths experienced in NSW recently. But the above article suggests that otherwise healthy people are ending up in ICU, at least.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
Old 10-08-2021, 10:03 AM   #13446
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
I hear this morning that the decision makers for the handling of the NSW COVID outbreak have been asked to front a Parliamentary upper house’s COVID-19 oversight committee to explain their actions. Interestingly it appears that Aunty Glad hasn't been called (is someone going to get thrown under the bus?)

Obviously they are concerned about the way it has been handled

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/nsw/...09-p58h84.html
I said it from the very start, that the cho was being thrown under the bus. Could tell from the body language and words being used by others. I hope she kept good notes for her own sake.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
2 users like this post:
Old 10-08-2021, 10:08 AM   #13447
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
Hopefully his demise will help others of the same (his previous) persuasion make the right decision, my biggest hope though is that no one who took his previous advice have ended up in the same situation as he is now because of it.
Funnily enough I have seen FB posts from people in the US regurgitating exactly what he states..he is not alone by a fair margin, they seem to Trump memorabilia as well.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
2 users like this post:
Old 10-08-2021, 10:09 AM   #13448
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Plenty of these...

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/healt...ness-c-3599632

Rides (past and present)
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

Old 10-08-2021, 10:26 AM   #13449
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
Funnily enough I have seen FB posts from people in the US regurgitating exactly what he states..he is not alone by a fair margin, they seem to Trump memorabilia as well.
And i can guarantee they will all do the same as this fella when in his position.

I posted an article earlier about a nurse who's job is dealing with end of life Covid patients, one of her biggest heartaches is listening to some of these COVID deniers and/or anti-vaxxers pleading to be jabbed while having the life choked out of them on their death bed.....to late is the only answer...

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
3 users like this post:
Old 10-08-2021, 10:46 AM   #13450
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
And i can guarantee they will all do the same as this fella when in his position.

I posted an article earlier about a nurse who's job is dealing with end of life Covid patients, one of her biggest heartaches is listening to some of these COVID deniers and/or anti-vaxxers pleading to be jabbed while having the life choked out of them on their death bed.....to late is the only answer...
Yeap and here we are in a position were people are getting sick and it appears we dont have enough doses for those who want it.

On a global scale Australia would have been low priority, but I would have thought we could have had supply by now.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
3 users like this post:
Old 10-08-2021, 11:44 AM   #13451
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
I said it from the very start, that the cho was being thrown under the bus. Could tell from the body language and words being used by others. I hope she kept good notes for her own sake.
I have felt that the S.A., Qld & Vict CHO's were not real puppets of the Government, but I reckon the NSW CHO is, I reckon she is being manipulated big time - I actually feel sorry for her
3 users like this post:
Old 10-08-2021, 11:51 AM   #13452
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I have felt that the S.A., Qld & Vict CHO's were not real puppets of the Government, but I reckon the NSW CHO is, I reckon she is being manipulated big time - I actually feel sorry for her
Well, someone more knowleagable on NSW politics can confirm this, but I'm led to believe that in all states and territories, it is the CHO who writes the public health orders. Except in NSW, where it is the minister who sets the public health orders, with the CHO only advising. This has been talked about on some social media circles for quite some time (not the most reliable source), but it could explain why a different strategy has been taken.

If I'm wrong, happy to be corrected.

Rides (past and present)

2 users like this post:
Old 10-08-2021, 12:39 PM   #13453
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT August 9th 2021.

Note
: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

295 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 2.566%.

4 new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 0.900%.

The UK had a lower 24,891 cases yesterday and lower 37 deaths for a CMR of 2.139%.

A higher 158,531 new cases in the USA yesterday and higher 486 deaths sees CMR at 1.727% but some of those were carried over from Sunday. Florida recorded a new daily record with 28,316.

Other notable points:
Global cases pass 204M, the last 1M in 1 day;

South America passes 36M cases;

Bahamas (257);
Mauritius (528); and
Iran (40,808)

... recorded new highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Israel moves above the 90th percentile for the 10 day period and Cyprus drops below.

Observatio Facta Rotae

5 users like this post:
Old 10-08-2021, 01:42 PM   #13454
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Well, someone more knowleagable on NSW politics can confirm this, but I'm led to believe that in all states and territories, it is the CHO who writes the public health orders. Except in NSW, where it is the minister who sets the public health orders, with the CHO only advising. This has been talked about on some social media circles for quite some time (not the most reliable source), but it could explain why a different strategy has been taken.

Maybe just ask if you don't know, rather than proposing a truth being led by "not the most reliable source" and social media circles.

Too much dribble gets created on the internet like this.

Have a read of https://content.legislation.vic.gov....authorised.pdf

and the equivalent in the other states. Then let us know. And then maybe let all of the Premiers and Heath Ministers know if they are right in hiding behind the CHO's

6 users like this post:
Old 10-08-2021, 01:49 PM   #13455
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked View Post
Maybe just ask if you don't know, rather than proposing a truth being led by "not the most reliable source" and social media circles.

and the equivalent in the other states. Then let us know. And then maybe let all of the Premiers and Heath Ministers know if they are right in hiding behind the CHO's
OK boss. Noted. But 298 pages... Yeh nah.

Rides (past and present)

2 users like this post:
Old 10-08-2021, 01:58 PM   #13456
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:

That will be the day when CHO writes public health orders!
They advise our government ministers with health matters.
Old 10-08-2021, 02:16 PM   #13457
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme View Post
https://justiceconnect.org.au/resour...covid-19-work/

Quote:
What is a State of Emergency?
A State of Emergency declaration gives the Victorian Chief Health Officer broad powers to act to eliminate or reduce a serious risk to public health by detaining people, restricting movement, preventing entry to premises or providing any other directions considered reasonable to protect public health, slow the spread of infection, reduce the pressure on the health system and minimise the risks of COVID-19.[4]

Emergency & Public Health Powers under the Act
During a State of Emergency, the Chief Health Officer is given broad powers to do whatever is necessary to eliminate or reduce a serious risk to public health from COVID-19 (Emergency Powers).[7]

These Emergency Powers allow Authorised Officers to:

detain any person or group for as long as reasonably necessary to eliminate or reduce a serious risk to public health[8];
restrict the movement of any person within Victoria;
prevent any person or group from entering Victoria; and
give any other direction reasonably necessary to protect public health.
Also hence why there was so much controversy regarding the curfew and 5km limit. These were not thought to be orders set by Brett Sutton, and I recall he said so himself.

Rides (past and present)

Old 10-08-2021, 02:18 PM   #13458
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked View Post

Quote:
Public Health Powers under the Act
The NSW Government has the power to deal with public health risks generally where a situation arises that is a risk to public health.[2] A state of emergency does not need to be declared to use these powers.

The NSW Health Minister has very broad powers to do take any action and give directions necessary to deal with the risk and consequences of COVID-19 (Public Health Powers).[3]

These Public Health Powers allow the Health Minister to make any direction necessary to:

reduce or remove the risk of COVID-19 in the area;
segregate or isolate people within NSW; and
prevent, or give on a conditional basis, access to any part of NSW.
Orders made under the Public Health Powers expire after 90 days, unless they are withdrawn or made to expire sooner.[4]

Rides (past and present)

2 users like this post:
Old 10-08-2021, 02:43 PM   #13459
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
I still believe this virus is more intensively concentrated on any area here or overseas, where there is a rise in ground level pollution, but the world leaders seem to want to ignore that, why, because they haven't got a clue, they really are clueless, thoughtless and couldn't care less!

Any "aware" person, or person who can see how important a healthy environment is to our well-being is ridiculed, take the young girl Greta Thurnberg, did she just accidentally arrive with this theory of hers or was there something in her advice, seems it occured just before Covid-19 hit the world, and how could a child offer such sage advice to the world run by beurocrats greed and money?

Surely there has to be a common denominator, a common thread between virus, its target and victims, nothing is that coincidental, nothing at all.

Cheers Billy.
Corrolation does not imply causation.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
2 users like this post:
Old 10-08-2021, 03:09 PM   #13460
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

I see NSW is up well over 300 cases again in reporting today and 209 of those are unknown source.

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 10-08-2021, 04:00 PM   #13461
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

‘Notably clever’: If Russia’s vaccine is so good, why isn’t it more widely used?
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nota...02-p58f0i.html

Quote:
........But, come February, when Sputnik’s results were at last peer-reviewed and published in leading medical journal The Lancet, much of the scepticism around the world evaporated. “It’s an excellent vaccine,” Toole says, more than 92 per cent effective at stopping a symptomatic case of COVID. That puts it almost on par with the Western vaccines using new mRNA technology by Pfizer and Moderna.

........Sputnik’s design is “notably clever”, Toole says, for using one type of adenovirus in the first shot and another in the second. This reduces the chance that, by the second shot, the immune system will remember the adenovirus used as the Trojan horse to package the vaccine, and so start attacking it instead of the coronavirus. It’s the same reason scientists think pairing an AstraZeneca shot with different kinds of vaccines, such as Pfizer for the second dose, has proven so effective in mixed trials overseas. The first dose of Sputnik (known as Sputnik Light) has itself been paired with AstraZeneca, Moderna and Sinopharm in a large trial in Argentina. Results are still to come but the agency that markets Sputnik V, the Russian Direct Investment Fund (RDIF) says so far all combinations appear safe.

..........(on side affects) “The fact there is nothing immediately raises a flag for me,” says Grohmann, who previously worked at Australia’s regulator the Therapeutic Goods Administration. “Either they are not doing the monitoring and deaths are being attributed to other causes, or the vaccine is marvellous. And if it’s that good, then we should look at it closer to understand the difference with the other vector vaccines.”

Toole agrees Russia’s monitoring is dubious but notes none of the other 60-odd countries using the vaccine have reported a link to clotting either, including during trials in Argentina, Italy and the tiny republic of San Marino (which has been almost entirely vaccinated with Sputnik).

Rides (past and present)

2 users like this post:
Old 10-08-2021, 04:39 PM   #13462
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I have to chuckle at Constance Hall finding herself wedged; the anti-vaxxers feel she’s betraying them for projecting an earthy, alternative lifestyle choices persona yet talking up the social benefits of Covid vaccination…

https://9now.nine.com.au/a-current-a...d-da632ecdab9d
Old 10-08-2021, 04:45 PM   #13463
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I have to chuckle at Constance Hall finding herself wedged; the anti-vaxxers feel she’s betraying them for projecting an earthy, alternative lifestyle choices persona yet talking up the social benefits of Covid vaccination…

https://9now.nine.com.au/a-current-a...d-da632ecdab9d
So that was you I heard?.....I had to laugh myself, and she so looked unconvincing whilst trying to convince her followers otherwise

Cheers Billy

Last edited by slowsnake; 10-08-2021 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Add word
Old 10-08-2021, 04:49 PM   #13464
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR Martin View Post
Corrolation does not imply causation.
Sometimes A does not equal B, sometimes B equals A, some mathematicians may disagree, as scientists and mathematicians do!

Cheers Billy
Old 10-08-2021, 05:11 PM   #13465
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
OK boss. Noted. But 298 pages... Yeh nah.
it's OK, he is going to read it and give us a precise of the bits we need to know

I have read and taught various Victorian legislation pretty much since full time 1987, I opened that link saw 298 pages and went 'yeah nah'
3 users like this post:
Old 10-08-2021, 05:13 PM   #13466
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Also hence why there was so much controversy regarding the curfew and 5km limit. These were not thought to be orders set by Brett Sutton, and I recall he said so himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme
oh whoops
2 users like this post:
Old 10-08-2021, 05:34 PM   #13467
Metdevil

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/09/us/te...rnd/index.html

Quote:
Ben Taub Hospital's intensive care unit is at 95% capacity with 27% of utilization by Covid-19 patients and Lyndon B. Johnson Hospital, where the tents are being set up, is at 100% ICU utilization with 63% Covid cases
Quote:
"What is intriguing about this surge is not so much the magnitude of the numbers, but the speed at which the numbers are going up," Porsa said.
"It took us five weeks to get from one (patient) to 120. When I look at the last surge, it took us three months -- the rapid rise in the amount of Covid patients is very concerning."
I feel like we could hear stories like this all day and we would still have people throwing around clichès like "it's a seasonal flu", "99% survivability rate", and "I have a strong immune system". Some people just won't take notice until there's a field hospital set up in their front yard.
2 users like this post:
Old 10-08-2021, 06:20 PM   #13468
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
oh whoops
It's funny how some people thought the SOE gave politicians unlimited powers to do what they wanted. Where in actual fact it transferred powers to a chief health officer

I must admit, this pandemic has given me a crash course on how our political and health system works. A lot of it has come from putting up topics like these for discussions on forums.

Rides (past and present)

2 users like this post:
Old 10-08-2021, 06:42 PM   #13469
HIPO
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metdevil View Post
https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/09/us/te...rnd/index.html

I feel like we could hear stories like this all day and we would still have people throwing around clichès like "it's a seasonal flu", "99% survivability rate", and "I have a strong immune system". Some people just won't take notice until there's a field hospital set up in their front yard.
CNN,,, really! you must be one of the last few that believes anything out of them.
Old 10-08-2021, 06:52 PM   #13470
Metdevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIPO View Post
CNN,,, really! you must be one of the last few that believes anything out of them.
https://www.expressnews.com/news/art...r-16370371.php

Is this better? Or how about straight from the hospital's website?
https://www.harrishealth.org/
Closed Thread