Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 13-08-2021, 04:01 PM   #13621
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Yeah, everyone seems to think this is the Silver Bullet, then next year it will be time to push the booster shot, then its a secondary booster shot and so on every year after.
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...coronavirus-us

The next big thing is already getting ready to spread. Say hello to the Lambda variant that is already showing signs of being vaccine resistant.

We need real vaccines, not ones that just mitigate symptoms.
2 users like this post:
Old 13-08-2021, 04:05 PM   #13622
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post

The next big thing is already getting ready to spread. Say hello to the Lambda variant that is already showing signs of being vaccine resistant.

Ever thought of a career in Radio as a shock jock?
Old 13-08-2021, 04:14 PM   #13623
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Corona - Lambada variant is probably better then the likely following of Macarena strain.
2 users like this post:
Old 13-08-2021, 04:20 PM   #13624
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

McGowan sticking the Hard Boot in to NSW.

NSW travellers must show proof of vaccination against COVID-19 to enter WA under strict new border measures

https://www.9news.com.au/national/co...a-first_130821

Quote:
Western Australia will tighten its hard border with New South Wales as of 12.01am on August 17, requiring all travellers to have had at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine before entering the state.

WA Premier Mark McGowan said the worsening coronavirus situation in the state meant he had no choice but to declare NSW a 'high risk' category.

The tough new border measures mean approved, exempt travellers entering WA must return a negative COVID-19 test within 72 hours of departure, be vaccinated with at least one dose where eligible, and use the G2G app while undertaking hotel quarantine for 14 days.

The measures are on top of existing quarantine requirements.

"The risk to Western Australia is too high," Mr McGowan said.

"What is happening in NSW continues to be a growing concern.

"There is no sign of the situation improving in coming weeks.

"These are tough measures but are necessary to protect the state."

WA is also changing its border restrictions, creating a new 'extreme risk' category and updating its 'high risk' settings.

The new 'extreme risk' category will kick in when a state records more than 500 daily COVID-19 cases on average.

Under the 'extreme risk' category, an even smaller number of incoming travellers will be permitted into WA.

They will be required to complete 14 days of quarantine at a state-run facility and undertake an extra COVID-19 test on day five.

NSW recorded 390 cases today – its highest daily case count yet – with Premier Gladys Berejiklian warning the upwards trend was "likely to continue".

The updated 'high risk' category will be triggered when a state reaches an average of 500 daily COVID-19 cases.

Mr McGowan said the new policies provided "a pathway" for WA residents who had travelled to NSW to come home, with the state likely months out from leaving lockdown.

"These criteria are very tough. We haven't ever done this before in Australia – we haven't ever said you have to be vaccinated to come home," he said.
"But they are fair."

He noted that WA's hard border could not exclude all NSW returnees, with 15 people entering from the COVID-afflicted state just yesterday.

Those still permitted to enter include federal MPs, defence officials, returning Olympians and other returned overseas travellers who undertook their hotel quarantine in NSW.

He said the new measures could provide "a template" to other states "should they want to, to protect themselves from NSW".

WA introduces hard border for ACT

Western Australia is upgrading the Australian Capital Territory to a 'medium risk' jurisdiction as the Capital's cluster grows to six cases in two days.

The border change means only essential travellers will be permitted to enter WA and 14 days of self-quarantine will apply.

In more positive news, WA is lifting its border ban with South Australia, which will move to a 'low risk' jurisdiction.

This means travellers are permitted to enter but must undertake 14 days of self-isolation at home.

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
2 users like this post:
Old 13-08-2021, 04:27 PM   #13625
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane
Ever thought of a career in Radio as a shock jock?
That's it, just keep burying your heads in the sand.

It's amazing how people just don't want to accept the reality of where we are heading.

It would be hilarious if it wasn't so worrying. Who knew a genetically modified virus designed to spread and kill is actually pretty good at doing that.
2 users like this post:
Old 13-08-2021, 05:05 PM   #13626
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:

People just will not listen to how vaccines work.

No vaccine has ever stopped anyone from getting infected. The vaccine primes your immune system to recognise the virus when you are infected and be pre armed to defeat it. You HAVE to get infected in order for the immune system to work. If you immune system is awesome, you probably will not even test positive. this is the 65% of people who they say are "protected from infection". They still had some virus get in but their immune system overwhelmed it very quickly.

The vaccine stops you getting sick. If you don't get sick, the virus doesn't matter to you. If no one gets sick, we forget about the virus. That is why if everyone got vaccinated we are giving ourselves the best chance of normality.

Generally very sick people are more infections. Stop people getting very sick, then the virus just pops its head up now and then. Like this one will, I am sure it will pop up regularly IF we beat it properly.

But I agree, the world has changed and heads need to be taken out of the sand. Which sandpit is the question.

2 users like this post:
Old 13-08-2021, 05:10 PM   #13627
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I live in regional Victoria, this morning I applied for a permit to drive into Queensland, it was approved and I don't have to quarantine when I get there
This user likes this post:
Old 13-08-2021, 05:27 PM   #13628
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
I live in regional Victoria, this morning I applied for a permit to drive into Queensland, it was approved and I don't have to quarantine when I get there
So you are travelling to Queensland in the next three days?

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Old 13-08-2021, 06:13 PM   #13629
Metdevil

Quote:

Yes, the virus mutates quickly, we've known this for a long time. It mutates faster than we can develop a vaccine for it. Funnily enough, nobody took it seriously when they were warned how quickly it mutates, it's far too late to act shocked now.

Also, Lambda is not a new player to the game, it was first discovered in November and has over 3,500 different descendant mutations already.

As for just who has whose head in the sand, maybe put that blame on those who ignored this exact warning 18 months ago.
2 users like this post:
Old 13-08-2021, 06:17 PM   #13630
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

I've been filling these out since April last year, fairly straight forward....

COVID-19 hotspots

https://www.qld.gov.au/health/condit...spots-covid-19

Travelling to Queensland (entry pass)

https://www.qld.gov.au/health/condit...-to-queensland

Old 13-08-2021, 06:25 PM   #13631
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme View Post
Billy you talking nonsense, smallpox has been ereadicated which plagued mandkind for thousands of years; don't believe the b.s pharmeaceutical companies will hinder cures.
No not hinder the cure, but hinder finding the cause so as to effectively sell as much product as possible and manufacture more?
But, find out where it came from first, defeat the cause of this illness, I'm not so sure now it ever started in bats in Wuhan, or a lab in Wuhan?

It's a bit like Lyme disease, which is from ticks, zoonosis from animal or mammal I think, but not curable, it hides in your cells as a spirochete boring holes into your cells like syphilis does, I am sure Lyme has a cure but not enough folk sick all over the world, and the tick is the vector!
Yet they can't cure people, they know all about from start to finish, but no cure?

This coronavirus is a real head bender, not sure of origin, not sure how it travels, just that it infects by aerosol supposedly?
Get vaccinated and worry about being immune, or hoping the virus does not mutate while you are waiting for immunity!

It's a wonder the herbal marketplace is not flooded with natural remedies for a virus or illness " cause unknown " but this product may help you!

Cheers Billy

Last edited by slowsnake; 13-08-2021 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Add word
Old 13-08-2021, 06:32 PM   #13632
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post

It's a wonder the herbal marketplace is not flooded with natural remedies for a virus or illness " cause unknown " but this product may help you!

Cheers Billy
Or drink lots of Dettol which according to their adverts kills the covid virus.

2 users like this post:
Old 13-08-2021, 06:41 PM   #13633
creative
I am Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
McGowan sticking the Hard Boot in to NSW.

NSW travellers must show proof of vaccination against COVID-19 to enter WA under strict new border measures
here it comes, the restrictions of movement......

papers please anyone...
Rebuilt Boss260 with #Kellogs 1500hp forged and balanced crank#Manley forged flattop pistons with a 9.5/1cr#4340 forged h-beam rods with arp bolts#Clevit performance rod and main bearings#full ARP headstud kit#total seal rings#Mantic twin plate development clutch and lightened flywheel#Mellings uprated oil pump#Mainforce Performance Supercharger kit#AU motorsport 345mm big brake kit.

Now producing 369.7rwkw/496rwhp@6000 and 515ft/lb torque @ 11 psi.
Now sat on an engine stand going nowhere
Old 13-08-2021, 06:57 PM   #13634
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I went for my shop as planned today and the only real issue was there was no beef mince as 2/3 meals I had planned were mince based

Even the pork mince was low and the local butcher looked cleaned out and I've never seen that before because they are not cheap.

They always put limits on after people clean everything out despite it being fairly predictable behaviour by now.

It's tricky though. You don't want people hoarding everything but at the same time there are large families so you want to reduce the amount of times people leave home.

I usually go to the shops a few times during the week but did my best to reduce that with a slightly bigger shop. Bought 2 blocks of beers and a carton of durries. The essentials
5 users like this post:
Old 13-08-2021, 07:08 PM   #13635
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

2 users like this post:
Old 13-08-2021, 07:17 PM   #13636
Metdevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post
"The flu is more dangerous than covid to kids, and that's a fact"

Well, that's a fact that was easily debunked only a few pages back...
The only thing this guy is 'ripping' is the same tired arguments which have been debunked over and over again for the last 18 months...
2 users like this post:
Old 13-08-2021, 07:41 PM   #13637
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I must admit one of the truly bizarre things throughout this whole time is when commentators and slimey politicians often with no experience or education on the subject matter just talk absolute ****.

At what point for these groups did they become more trustworthy than subject matter experts? If I have a health problem I go to a health professional not to a MPs office or call up a shockjock
3 users like this post:
Old 13-08-2021, 07:49 PM   #13638
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
I must admit one of the truly bizarre things throughout this whole time is when commentators and slimey politicians often with no experience or education on the subject matter just talk absolute ****.

At what point for these groups did they become more trustworthy than subject matter experts? If I have a health problem I go to a health professional not to a MPs office or call up a shockjock
100% agree. pollies tell people what they want to hear.

Regarding the shops, support local small businesses....eat take out. That's how I've been justifying it.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
2 users like this post:
Old 13-08-2021, 08:14 PM   #13639
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Two shops closed in the last week at my local shopping centre. That makes a total of nine empty stores. Which is a lot considering it is only a Safeway and Coles plus a few small name stores in between.

The current situation is like:
Doctor: We removed the malignant tumour.
Relative: How is the patient?
Doctor: Unfortunately they died.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
5 users like this post:
Old 13-08-2021, 09:02 PM   #13640
hayseed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_0zFEtPbiA
Old 13-08-2021, 09:22 PM   #13641
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:

If I want to know about Covid I just come to this thread!.
True....

Cheers Billy
3 users like this post:
Old 14-08-2021, 12:08 AM   #13642
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Case zero has outed themself. I'm thinking why in the **** would you do that, the first local case in over a year. You're on a hiding to nothing and it doesn't even matter now
Old 14-08-2021, 08:25 AM   #13643
HIPO
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metdevil View Post
"The flu is more dangerous than covid to kids, and that's a fact"

Well, that's a fact that was easily debunked only a few pages back...
The only thing this guy is 'ripping' is the same tired arguments which have been debunked over and over again for the last 18 months...
Remain calm! i'm sure the fact checkers will get to it soon enough.
2 users like this post:
Old 14-08-2021, 08:27 AM   #13644
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
If I want to know about Covid I just come to this thread!.
True....

Cheers Billy
Me to Billy, It's where all the experts hang out.

4 users like this post:
Old 14-08-2021, 08:54 AM   #13645
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Case zero has outed themself. I'm thinking why in the **** would you do that, the first local case in over a year. You're on a hiding to nothing and it doesn't even matter now
Who? And How?

Rides (past and present)
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

Old 14-08-2021, 09:00 AM   #13646
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
How does NSW intend to address the burden of proof for people alleging they’re visiting intimate partners? Not everyone has sexy selfies or pillow talk messages on their phone. It seems the authorities are moving towards an ad-hoc compliance driven revenue model, rather than actually developing an enduring Covid strategy.
Looks like the emergency crisis disaster catastrophe shambles cabinet meeting has addressed some of your recent queries.

That 5km single bubble is rough! But you can go to your second home for maintenance.

Quote:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-...ting/100376786

......Under that rule, people from Greater Sydney are not allowed to travel to their second homes, except under special circumstances, such as maintenance, and only one person will be able to attend.

.....Tightened restrictions now also apply to people in Greater Sydney's 12 local government areas of concern (Bayside, Blacktown, Burwood, Campbelltown, Canterbury-Bankstown, Cumberland, Fairfield, Georges River, Liverpool, Parramatta, Strathfield, and parts of Penrith).

People in those areas who are taking part in a singles bubble will need to register the name of their single buddy.

The nominated pair must also live within five kilometres of each other.

Rides (past and present)

Old 14-08-2021, 09:01 AM   #13647
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Peter FitzSimons been his usual blunt and forthright self

No jab will mean no job for NRL players next season

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/no-jab-...jobid=29325714

Quote:
A couple of weeks ago, as you will recall, TFF had a rant about the need for all football codes to get serious about player vaccination. I advocated this on two grounds:

1. Sanity. Every football match is a potential super-spreader event, and while governments have allowed professional football to go on as an exception while shutting down everything else with close physical contact, it is INSANE that they do so without being jabbed.

2. Public duty. The more footballers who get vaccinated without growing a second head – ideally with AstraZeneca, which is in plentiful supply – the more the public will turn away from the anti-vax nutters and do what has to be done.

Now it is more or less happening, slowly, with some players getting the jab, others talking about its virtues and the NRL, particularly, beginning the push to get all the players on board for the start of next season. This has been met with resistance from the usual nutters, but also the Rugby League Players Association, with concerns about individual freedoms and all the rest.

To them, I say, calm your farms. No one is going to hold recalcitrant players down while Nurse Ratched comes forward with – hold him still now – Noddy the Needle. But here’s the thing the RLPA and those players who decline to have the vaccine are going to have to deal with.

Do you blokes really think that by the beginning of next season you are going to be able to jump on a plane in Melbourne, unvaccinated, and land in Brisbane a couple of hours later? It won’t happen. By that time we will need vaccine passports to get on planes, and so we bloody well should! And that will be just the beginning. That bus company to take the team from the hotel to the ground? It has to protect its driver, and you won’t be able to get on board without the passport. The restaurant for the team dinner? Where is the proof you have been jabbed?

I know, I know, I know. It’s your body, and you will decide what you do and don’t put into it.

But airlines, buses, restaurants and stadiums must be able to invoke the same principle. They get to decide who does and doesn’t come in. And they will be quite within their rights to decline access to people who are obvious health risks. Bravo the NRL for already announcing no access to stadiums next year for those who are unjabbed. But can they really invoke that, while allowing players to be unjabbed?

The NRL has a legally enforceable duty of care to all its employees to provide as safe a work environment as possible. For this season, it would not have been reasonable to insist that includes being jabbed, as vaccines weren’t universally available to citizens in their age group. That will not be the case next season. I don’t see how a responsible footballer employer can allow an unvaccinated player to play – bar medical reasons – when it is so clearly, and so unnecessarily, dangerous to other players and their families.

Cue the numpties: “What do you care, when you are jabbed?” Firstly, the jab doesn’t provide total protection. Secondly, even the jabbed can get COVID-19 and pass it to their families.

Think of it like this. It is not that everyone who takes in cigarette smoke gets cancer, but enough of them do that the government rightly banned smoking in indoor public places. It is not that the unjabbed are going to endanger everyone else, but enough of them will be a danger that the only reasonable thing to do is to say if you are a professional footballer, and you are unjabbed, it is really better you look for a new line of work, and good luck.

Calm your farms, I said! For the bottom line remains: the only way out of this mess to normality is via vaccines, and vaccine passports. No one will HAVE to get vaccines, but without one, it will be dinkum too much trouble to have you in a football team. That is the way it is working in the NFL, and that is the way it will work here.

You need to get your head around it.

Old 14-08-2021, 09:05 AM   #13648
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Some of the vax's are as low as 65% efficacy, like the AZ.
Your seasonal flu vaccine is 40-60%. That is enough to keep viruses in check if there is mass vaccination in the community.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/vaccines-work/vaccineeffect.htm

Rides (past and present)

2 users like this post:
Old 14-08-2021, 01:02 PM   #13649
tweeked
N/A all the way

People are obviously fed up with the lockdowns. Local Soccer Club near me in Melbourne's bayside has its club room open, 30 odd kids running around witches hats training, 20-30 parents huddled in groups having chats and going in and out of the clubrooms.

Old 14-08-2021, 01:16 PM   #13650
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT August 13th 2021.

Note
: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

414 new cases for Australia and 2 deaths so the CMR is 2.486%. NSW recorded another record high with 391 cases and we already know it is higher again today.

1 new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 0.892%.

The UK had a lower 32,362 cases yesterday and higher 100 deaths for a CMR of 2.106%.

A lower 149,291 new cases in the USA yesterday and higher 754 deaths sees CMR at 1.710%.

Other notable points:

Global deaths pass 4.35M, the last 500k in 5 days;
Europe passes 53M cases;

Guadeloupe (8,040) although reporting is intermittent;
Japan (18,908);
Mexico (24,975); and
Thailand (23,418)

... recorded new highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

The USA moves above the 90th percentile for the 10 day period and no countries drop below.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Closed Thread