Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-02-2010, 05:38 PM   #121
Kamshaaft
Broken eBay Starter Motor

Errrr, you're right. It is IRS. (transverse) Leafe srung, yes, but live rear no. I knew I my mind was ********e dtoday.
Kamshaaft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2010, 08:56 PM   #122
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamshaaft
Yep, here's our common sense. If I recall correctly, coil overs all round and large rims are the main reason why the Holden utes can't carry much more than 2 wheelbarrows worth of soil or a motorbike, or half a Saturday night's worth of beer.
Its actually a whole uteload more reasons than that. Firstly, the last few (VU onwards) was actually a station wagon with the back cut off. I owned a Holden wagon, they sucked real bad for handling. The ute was even worse.

If people want an IRS rear in a ute. Buy a Holden. You have missed the point of a ute altogether. If Ford were to put IRS into their utes, I'd never buy a new one again. The idea is idiotic and foolish. Don't believe me, take a crapadore ute for a drive.

If the choice is Irs or Pursuit ute, I vote good bye pursuit. And I will buy a new ute. Just not with IRS.
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2010, 10:34 PM   #123
Bossxr8
Peter Car

If the GT sells in droves with the new engine, will they quickly change their minds and rush one into production?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2010, 10:37 PM   #124
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Why stop producing it?? Obviously they dont wanna put the R&D into the ute driveline?? nothing else needs to change??
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2010, 10:37 PM   #125
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
If the GT sells in droves with the new engine, will they quickly change their minds and rush one into production?
That would depend on why FPV believed the ute didnt sell well in the first place....
If they believe it had nothing to do with the engine then no, i dont think they would.

Old 24-02-2010, 10:42 PM   #126
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Pursuit has a business case as does the Super Pursuit, the reason the FG isn't selling is they put about 50% of the effort in they should have, it looks bland compare to IMO the overdone Maloo, it still cops a average ICC despite being a $50,000+ Machine..

FPV needed to step up in the ute segment if they wanted people to Trade up, not sit on their hands with a package that has been considered 2nd best to the competition since 2003..
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2010, 10:50 PM   #127
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

The decision one way or another has been made some time ago. They wouldn't be able to rush one to market based on Sedan sales as the Ute would require its own crash cert. and other types of cert.

If this is true, and I will hopefully find out more soon, it's evidence that a N/A version of Coyote is in use for Ford based product with which a crash program for them is viable based on their higher volume, where as FPV based V8 Ute sales are tiny in comparison and a specific crash program for them wouldn't be viable.

It makes more sense to keep to new V8 engine config the same (or relatively similar) for the Ford/FPV based product to prop up volume which would make the FPV Ute lineup viable.

There must be real benefit for them to go down N/A path for Ford products knowing that this will more or less close the door on the V8 FPV Ute.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2010, 10:58 PM   #128
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
Pursuit has a business case as does the Super Pursuit, the reason the FG isn't selling is they put about 50% of the effort in they should have, it looks bland compare to IMO the overdone Maloo, it still cops a average ICC despite being a $50,000+ Machine..

FPV needed to step up in the ute segment if they wanted people to Trade up, not sit on their hands with a package that has been considered 2nd best to the competition since 2003..
My personal opinion is that it will remain.

I will stick by what I think is happening in terms of engine lineup which will help FPV V8 Ute viability, while the short comings you mention which are valid, should be addressed with the next release.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2010, 11:06 PM   #129
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Agreed mate, i'd be disapointed if they didn't give the "FPV Ute" Concept one last try, if it doesn't work with FGII then maybe they would have just cause to delete the program.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2010, 11:14 PM   #130
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wonder if its just the Pursuit name that will be discontinued, and not the actual vehicle.
It is the only FPV with an individual name, and not just a series of letters.

Remember they got rid of Typhoon and Tornado, and they are now F6 and F6 Ute.

Perhaps they will be just called GT Ute and GTP Ute.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2010, 12:21 AM   #131
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
The difference is in the terms of the live axle and comparing it to race cars is that we do not drive on race tracks, we have bumps, pot holes and undulations to contend with in our corners.

Yes the vette may have a live axle, so does a V8SC and both steer through corners very well, but neither have dinosaur breed leaf springs that belong on a horse drawn wagons and trucks (not performance cars).
Lol, now thats funny. Here's some real world examples of dinosaur breed leaf springs vs your unbelievably awesome IRS with coil springs at the 2010 Bathurst 12 hour:

POS 23 Car 99 Australian V8 Ute Racing B.Dunn/A.Fisher/J.Elsgood Ford FG XR8 Ute Group G 2:37.5107
POS 28 Car 75 Auto Motion A.McGill/M.McGill/M.Williamson Ford FPV BF GT Group B 2:41.6676

And fastest laps from some Fords in the race including the 2 above:

Car 10 K.Douglas/J.Moffat/R.Hislop Boylan Traffic Solutions Ford FPV FG F6 2:36.0153
Car 99 B.Dunn/A.Fisher/J.Elsegood Australian V8 Ute Racing Ford FG XR8 Ute 2:39.6487
Car 94 D.Howe/D.O'Keefe/D.Neville Aporschapart / Kitome Ford BF XR8 2:45.3648
Car 75 A.McGill/M.McGill/M.Williamson Auto Motion Ford FPV BF GT 2:47.1410

:togo:
xdc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2010, 12:34 AM   #132
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdc351
Lol, now thats funny. :togo:
Did you miss or just ignore the bit where he said "we don't drive on racetracks"?
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2010, 12:36 AM   #133
56L
a.k.a PAULY

I recently seen an FPV ute in the Klosters showroom if i seen correctly it had MUDFLAPS no wonder they werent selling :
1947 ford thames tipper V8 21 stud flat head
1939 ford beer barrel truck V8 24 stud flat head
HZJ diesel ute
HJ47 diesel ute
56L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2010, 12:39 AM   #134
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
Did you miss or just ignore the bit where he said "we don't drive on racetracks"?
Oh yeah, Bathurst is a perfectly flat track with no undulations, kerbs, or rough areas... my bad.
Old 25-02-2010, 12:40 AM   #135
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdc351
Oh yeah, Bathurst is a perfectly flat track with no undulations, kerbs, or rough areas... my bad.
lol, you obviously haven't driven it after driving up Lachlan Valley Way to get there. Bathurst is bitumen heaven compared to a highway.

btw - in all the laps I've done there I can't think of any rough surface ontrack??
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2010, 12:51 AM   #136
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
lol, you obviously haven't driven it after driving up Lachlan Valley Way to get there. Bathurst is bitumen heaven compared to a highway.

btw - in all the laps I've done there I can't think of any rough surface ontrack??
The entry to the chase for one (plus it has a fair dip just before it)! And there's not too many roads where you need to mount a slippery kerb at the apex of a corner either.

If you read his post carefully you'll notice the section he was talking about live axles was in relation to racecars... and although the track is in better condition compared to some roads, I'd hardly call it unfair to point out that the IRS equiped V8 sedans were noticeably slower than the utes in both race and qualifying.
Old 25-02-2010, 09:42 AM   #137
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Getting a bit off topic here guys this has NOTHING to do with the canning of the Pursuit/SP
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2010, 09:54 AM   #138
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

The FG ute is much more settled on broken pavement than the BF. Particularly on 19s, on the roads I like to fang on running 19s on the BF was borderline dangerous, so much so that I would have been going back to the stock 18s on the next tyre change, but traded into FG F6 ute. Much more settled over pavement and rear definitely behaves better, front feels softer though and a little more wallowy than BF through a succession of undulations through a corner.

As they finally went to the trouble of giving FG FPV series utes a proper full stability control program, something they never did with BF, you wouldn't expect them to be dumped.

And for those that somehow think FPV don't have the best and fastest ute, they do, it's called the F6. I wanted to buy a Super-Pursuit but the 315 was a disappointing let-down on the test drive, so it was Maloo or F6, and despite the fact that I quite like the Maloo in white and with the bi-modal exhaust it sounds great, the F6 just walks all over it for all round performance. So I bought one.